eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Tag Heuer Watch-Questions

Hi!
I'm a regular on the jewelry board, but for this it was recommended I come here and ask for some advice.

I purchased a Tag Heuer watch at a Women Of The Church Rummage Sale last weekend. The members of this church are mostly well-to-do Society folks...if that makes a difference.

I have listed the watch starting at $19.95 simply because I'm a blithering idiot when it comes to watches...have NO knowledge whatsoever. While I was talking with some people on the jewelry board about whether it might be real or might not be...I was playing with the stem, and while I did so, the second hand (the smallest of the three) fell off the center. So...today I took it to two jewelers in town.

The first of the two told me that she believes the watch is a Real Tag...but, that her repairman wouldn't be in today. The second shop I went to, the gentleman popped the back off the watch, and told me he didn't think it was real. When I asked him what led him to that conclusion he said...it has a Japanese Movement. I replied...Yes, it says so on the face. He said that Tag's are Swiss Made and wouldn't have Japan Movements. In any case, he's going to repair the second hand and put in a battery for me, and have it ready to pick up tomorrow. So...is he correct? All the others I looked at in the Completed auctions had something printed at the bottom of the face that I assumed also said the same as mine...Japan Mvmt.

Is there anything else I could have this jeweler look for that would give me a definitive answer on whether or not this Tag is real?

My item is listed 5039340804
Thanks in advance!
Becky
This area is currently under construction. Thanks for your patience! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rogerbecky2005
Becky,

Sorry to be the one to break the bad news, but the "TAG Heuer" that you have is definitely a fake. I looked at your auction pictures and there is no doubt in my mind. Unfortunately, TAG Heuer is one of the most often faked wristwatches that I see.

The dial on this model should be marked "T swiss made T", not "Japanese Movement". There are a number of other dial and bezel details that are not correct, either. Also, the rough quality of the case finish on your watch is a dead giveaway. The bezel and back look like they were cast and the edges aren't nearly as crisp as the genuine article. The swiss would never let such a product leave their factories.

Here are a couple of pictures of a genuine TAG Heuer ladies watch (one that I sold) for you to compare with. It isn't the same model, but the finish and dial printing should show you what an original looks like:

Good luck!

Greg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

WOW! Big Difference there, Greg! Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me. I'll go and revise my auction.
Thanks again,
Becky
This area is currently under construction. Thanks for your patience! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I recently bought a Tag Heuer at eBay. Then I bought two more from another seller. I took all 3 to the a Tag Heuer authorized dealer this evening, I mentioned I got them on eBay and he immediately said, before checking them out that they were all fakes. I asked him if he would mind witing a little note saying that, he said the Nat'l whatever of Jewelers will not under any circumstances recognize a fake up to and including stating in writing that it is. He went into a long tirade about people buying Tags from anyone other than an authorized dealer. I don't know what to make of this.

Is there a clear way to determine if they are fakes, and for anyone that has been thru the process, will it do any good to file a complaint with the seller, eBay or Paypal? Or anyone else?

Thx
Please use plain text.
Community Member

bluesapphire,

From the way you tell the story, I don't think you can rely upon the jeweler's statement about the watch being a fake to file a complaint against the eBay seller. It sounds to me like you already realize that the jeweler harbors ill will toward anything bought on eBay and isn't being objective in his/her statements about authenticity.

If you have pictures you can post of the watches, I would be happy to look at them and give you an opinion. Certainly, modern TAG Heur watches are one of the most commonly faked watches I see, but I also see many eBay sellers selling the genuine watches. The advice that I always give buyers is to investigate the seller, not the watch. An experienced seller (several hundred feedbacks and several years on eBay) who buys and sells a particular group of watch models all the time will not accidentally pass a fake on to you. Neither will he/she deliberately sell fakes to you, for fear of damaging their hard-earned reputation.

Watch buying on eBay can be just as safe as buying anywhere else if you apply a little commonsense to your purchases. Just as you wouldn't buy an expensive watch from someone who approached you in the street selling watches, neither should you buy an expensive watch from a low-feedback eBay seller with no previous experience selling watches.

Greg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Greg, I have a horrible cam connected just now, it probably wouldn't show enough detail, but I have another, so it might take a bit for me to install all the software, but I will take you up on your kind off and photograph, probably tonight and post the pics somewhere. I am new to the board so I am not sure if I can put a pic here or not, but I will look around and see.

Thanks,
blue
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I bought a tag heuer indy 500 white face cac111a cant even find the watch or anything that looks like it so screw ebay for not stopping this action and the gimps who sell fakes
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Does anyone find the reassurances by Paypal to be useless? I was sold 2 fake Tag Heuers. Now they are demanding I come up with a statement on a letterhead of a jeweler saying it is fake. Due to liability issues and corporate nonsense, no one will do that.

In addition to the fakes, she stated one was gold, which it is not. On this watch, she also stated it was a Swiss made watch, which it is not and so states on the face of the dial, it says Japan. She also stated the other was stainless steel, which it is not as the silver has rubbed off in spots to reveal a brown color and the hand fell off.

I don't understand why I have to get a statement from a jeweler when these are so clearly fakes.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Whew! Y'all are making me WAY glad I ended my auction! LOL I ended up throwing it in a lot of old watches clearly marked as a Fake Tag. I just want to thank Greg once again for helping me avoid making a mistake and the problems it could have caused.
Becky
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello, if you have bough a wjf2110 here you are a guide I wrote following Tag Heuer Technicians in order to identify the fakes ones.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Fake-Wjf2110-Tag-Heuer-Watches_W0QQugidZ10000000001210602

Regards.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

can you re copy that link...page error.
thanks!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

There is a page error because the guide was removed and doesn't exist any more.

Greg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

What would that be about?

I'm scanning my other computer because I clicked on that link and then found that through looking in his "view guides, etc" there were none.

I become suspicious when anything seems out of order.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have no idea why the guide was removed or who removed it. I do know there was a dispute on the boards in another thread between the author and another member. The author might have removed the guide to duck and run or eBay might have found some problem and removed it. It had a lot of "not useful" votes and I don't think you're missing much.

The author seemed to regularly trade in TAG fakes/replicas (at least his feedback showed several fakes bought/sold) yet was being critical of another seller who sold him a fake. He was contributing to a problem that eventually bit him back. Poetic justice. I read the guide before it was pulled and it wasn't extremely useful, IMHO. If you read his posts to the board then you basically got all the info that went into the guide.

I don't trade in modern watches, but if I did I would definitely only trade with knowledgeable TAG dealers and serious collectors. The replicas are almost impossible to distinguish and even well-meaning casual sellers who lack the experience to authenticate their products may unknowingly be selling fakes. I would hazard a guess that over 1/2 of all TAG watches sold here are replicas.

Every time someone buys a replica product intentionally, they're contributing to the problem and increasing the risk that some innocent individual will buy that replica watch second-hand someday, believing it is genuine.

Greg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Well, that makes sense. My scan didn't show anything but I didn't think there was a problem, just a fast reaction.

I thought that I recognized the posters username but not what the connotation with it was.

I'm not much of a modern Tag fan anyhow, look to cyber for my tastes.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi guys,

I have removed the guide because authorities ask me to do it in order to not push scammers to quit quick from ebay.

I am not a fake seller. Only i have sold a replica tag heuer because i did not know it was a fake. After knowing it i contacted the buyer and pay back his money. Now the original seller has been denounced to the interpol, the same for the powerseller that sold me the fake wjf2110 tag heuer that has scammed more that 50 people here at ebay.

What i discover is several power seller (buy the buyer not the watch, haha) selling china replicas of the tag wjf2110 at usd 800 aprox. I bought it directly from china with the same box, guarante card and same watch for usd 400 and in the ebay.com.cn of course.

Some USA power sellers of tag heuers are not so honets, are simply scammers. So is not so simply as buy the seller and not the watch.

After talking to ebay in order to let them known the scams powerseller because i thougt they must let know all the people that bought the fake watches the answer was: we will do nothing, if you want tell them by yourselve. WOW.

But the powersellers are so smart. They made the auctions private and also some of them have turned they feedback private. What a shame.

best regards.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Guide is available again.
Regards.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello again,

Regarding gregorywatches contribution I can not be quiet without asking him why he is not working writing histories for films or something similar. You are creating an unreal history without having nothing to base into.

First – I am not an usual TAG replicas trader. I only have bough a couple of replicas in china, but not tags. Perhaps you have seen a purchased auction in my records but I did not finalise it because at the beginning I though watch was original. Then I understood it was a fake and open a dispute against the seller. Please, could you let me know how many watches did I sell? I will tell you: only one. Then, do you can call me an usual watch trader. NO, obviously. So please, think a bit before telling nonsense.

Second – Please, stop saying “buy the seller and not the watch”. It has been demonstrated that also power sellers have been scamming people in eBay. Send a private msg and I will tell you who.

Third – Read carefully my guide, please, and let me know if it is useful for the people that has bough a wjf2110 or not. Because I guess so. There are in eBay more than 100 people that have been scammed with these watches, believe me.

My conclusion is that certainly, ebay is not a secure place for buy watches. Even if I have demonstrated them with official tag heuer papers that powersellers have sold tens of fakes, they are still allowing them to sell this product. What a shame!

At the end of my guide there is an item number. It belongs to an item from china, the same watch that usa powersellers are selling from 1000 USD, and that can be bought from china from 400 USD. Let me tell you another thing.

All these tag heuer fakes watches have same serial number. Do you think that powersellers don’t know they are selling replicas?

WOW.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

GUIDE NOW IS IN::::

http://reviews.ebay.com/Fake-Wjf2110-Tag-Heuer-Watches_W0QQugidZ10000000001210602

Regards.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I am looking to buy a ladies Tag Heuer link diamond watch on Ebay. I have been watching many auctions for a month or so and feel I have a good idea of what they sell for. However, I remain nervous I may end up buying a fake. If someone could please let me know some key fake details to look for on the watch , I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
Please use plain text.