cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michele Watch How can you tell if its fake or real

Can anyone out there give me a specific way to tell a real from a fake. I have tried searching the Web and still don't know maybe I am dumb,.One person said a true Michele Watch has the Crown over the M. This of course has M over a W, I have looked on actual Michele watch page and they have same thing M over a W, so how do you tell? any help Vigorously Appreciated. I got this at a Church Rummage Sale. and most things donated to those sales is from congregation, and sometimes there oblivious to value of items.and I don't mean that in bad way.

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

These watches were just puffed up routine watches, I'd not bother one way ot the other.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 2 of 62
latest reply

Hard to say for sure, but numerous fakes of this brand do exist. Here's just one example very similar to yours, though it uses a metal band:

http://www.watchessun.com/replica_michele_mww02a000156_67.html

It's good that you showed a photo of the movement inside, though it's not really conclusive either way: it shows that the manufacturer is using one compact movement in all their watches (whoever "they" are), with a simple plastic filler adapter to hold the mechanism securely in the middle of the oversize case. You'd have to open a known-genuine Michele watch for comparison, though it would not surprise me if it was the same inside; I get the impression that these are just simple quartz watches with a ton of Marketing push behind them, as AF noted.

One side note regarding their M-W logo: it bears a striking resemblance to the old Montgomery Ward department stores' so-called "rotary" M-W logo that they were using (in various colors) in the 1960s:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28116212@N03/5697689454/

Kind of an odd source of inspiration for a purported luxury watch logo, but there you are... 

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

We just received a fake from an eBay purchase.  At the bottom of the face (a Deco), it says "Swiss" instead of "Swiss Movement."  Also, it says, "Chronograph" across the center instead of "Diamond Chronograph."  I'm pretty sure an authentic watch also says "Michele" on the back, whereas this one has an MW on the back.  FYI- The watch in the image on the purchase page was a real one.  Totally deceptive.  It was from China.  

Message 4 of 62
latest reply

This is real, I am just reading this, there a circle and it says crystal on the back. 

Message 5 of 62
latest reply

usually they wont bother with faking a Michele watch ...

since the back mentioned the crystal being sapphire, why not actually testing it if it's true,

tap the watch glass with your finger nail, see what kind of sound it makes,

if it's a dull thud, it's most likely is a sapphire crystal

the dial/face also says "Swiss" - meaning the movement is Swiss made (some of it anyway) -

if the movement says Made in China, then for sure you got a fake

Message 6 of 62
latest reply

@aria.soul wrote:

Wellll... Several posts back in this thread, further up the page, you will see a link that I posted to a fake-- sorry, "Replica" site that was indeed selling knockoff Michele watches.

That was then. If you click on that link now: http://www.watchessun.com/replica_michele_mww02a000156_67.html -- you'll see a very official "NOTICE TO DEFENDANTS" web page instead: They were all busted by the State of California, and the domain and web page were seized.

@aria.soul wrote:

the dial/face also says "Swiss" - meaning the movement is Swiss made (some of it anyway) -

I would also venture to say that if the watch has a big "MICHELE" (or other brand) in big, dumb, block letters etched across the back, such as what's shown at the very start of this thread, it's a fake. Seems to be a familiar habit of fake watch manufacturers who feel the need to have something on the back, but cannot digitize an actual logo.

Message 7 of 62
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@aria.soul wrote:

Wellll... Several posts back in this thread, further up the page, you will see a link that I posted to a fake-- sorry, "Replica" site that was indeed selling knockoff Michele watches.

That was then. If you click on that link now: http://www.watchessun.com/replica_michele_mww02a000156_67.html -- you'll see a very official "NOTICE TO DEFENDANTS" web page instead: They were all busted by the State of California, and the domain and web page were seized.

@aria.soul wrote:

I would also venture to say that if the watch has a big "MICHELE" (or other brand) in big, dumb, block letters etched across the back, such as what's shown at the very start of this thread, it's a fake. Seems to be a familiar habit of fake watch manufacturers who feel the need to have something on the back, but cannot digitize an actual logo.

I was in the market recently for a Michele watch for my wife. I spent $2100 at Nordstrom for it, including tax. I was in a rush and I had no choice. After purchasing the unit I conducted several searches on this watch and the findings were confusing.

To start off,  there were quite a few of this same model watch for sale, new in their box with warranty cards and a wide spectrum of prices. As listed you'll see them between$1250 to $1999 including SS band (not considering taxes).

The authentic model bought at Nordstrom did have the big "MICHELLE" in big, dumb, block letters laser etched accross the back, so this is definitely not an indication of a fake as mentioned above.  This particular model has .33ct in diamonds encrusted outside, around the glass so I would guess one way to find out if its real is to have the diamonds checked by a jeweler. Counterfeit units would not have real diamonds.

As my wife agreed, we decided to return the unit to Norstrom for full refund and decided to buy a unit from Amazon. Amazon double checks the serial numbers, with Michele's Master List, before shipping. That obviously is not 100% proof that it is not a fake but its certainly an extra step for piece of mind. $2,134.65 vs. $1,329 is a $805.65 savings now you have to ask yourself. Is a $800 difference worth your time and aggrevation if it's fake? For me it is. Amazon also offer a 30 day unconditional money back guaranteed on purchases, so I figure that I have 30 days and $800 in my pocket to have this watch looked over by a local jeweler, or even send it to Michelle for verification. Similar listings here at E-Bay had a 14 day return policy plus out of pocket return postage. I figured my best chances were at Amazon for this particular purchase.

I'll find out in a week or so how it played out..

Max

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

http://www.abcarticledirectory.com/Article/The-Origin-Of-Michele-Watches/83408# IS A LINK TO mICHELE WATCH HISTORY FYI.

THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND SINCE THE 1940'S AND ARE IN FAIRLY HIGH REGARD.

Message 9 of 62
latest reply

You appear to have done more work than it was worth by going to Nordstrom and then returning and buying from an online mammoth like Amazon. Nordstrom is a reputable company and they also have a fine jewelry department which skilled personnel. 

Message 10 of 62
latest reply

slaughter1074
Rising Star
The Michele is real.

The Ronda movement is the. Swiss movement that Michele uses.

If you look at the quartz movement (the part where the battery is removed) in the center you will see Ronda.

Also you can see a couple jewels in the quartz movement.

Congrats
Message 11 of 62
latest reply

slaughter1074
Rising Star
You won't get a warranty. Hopefully you don't get anyones problem. Whether it came from a store or not. You may get a store warranty but it is nothing like having a manufactures warranty. Good luck it is a gamble.."too good to be true"
Message 12 of 62
latest reply

mine is exaclty as you described yours i just purchased here on ebay and i want to make sure its real 

Message 13 of 62
latest reply

Message 14 of 62
latest reply

This is my new Michele watch... I received it as a gift!

@209.me wrote:

Can anyone out there give me a specific way to tell a real from a fake. I have tried searching the Web and still don't know maybe I am dumb,.One person said a true Michele Watch has the Crown over the M. This of course has M over a W, I have looked on actual Michele watch page and they have same thing M over a W, so how do you tell? any help Vigorously Appreciated. I got this at a Church Rummage Sale. and most things donated to those sales is from congregation, and sometimes there oblivious to value of items.and I don't mean that in bad way.

@209.me wrote:

This is my new Michele watch... I received it as a gift!

I think it is authentic.

But I want to know for sure.

How can I tell if it is an authentic Michele or a knock off?

Message 15 of 62
latest reply