cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever sued a Seller or have them charged for selling a fake?

I bought an Omega watch on ebay. The seller claimed it was an Omega Seamaster. It wasn't working but I figured I would take a chance on it and have it repaired. I won the watch for just over $124.00. It has an 18k gold back on it and is supposed to be solid gold. I was quite excited once I opened it and air blew it out a bit and it started working. Has been keeping perfect time since. I decided to resale it but was told that if it has no 8 digit number, it is a fake. I contacted the seller and asked him if he was certain it was real and he couldn't verify that it was. He also claimed that it was over his return policy time limit and didn't want to play any games. He wasn't a bit concerned that he may have sold a fake. So, isn't this against ebay policy to sell something unless you know it is not fake? And has anyone ever laid fraud charges agains a seller or sued them for selling fake goods? Please, I know I was a sucker in buying this without knowing for sure it wasn't a fake. So don't bother sending comments stating such. But if someone out there has had any success in laying charges or suing a crooked seller, I would like to hear from you! Thanks!
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Has anyone ever sued a Seller or have them charged for selling a fake?

gunniejames
Scout
ask questions, allot. the seller should be more then responsive. if someone's selling 20 rolex watches ; there s a good chance that; that's their full time "gig".

All of the reports you read about "how to spot a folex" on google is all rubbish! 2.5 mag, laser etched crown, trip lock, even the movement of the second hand , they have it all down.

theres really no real way to tell 100%. papers docs, boxes. all avail. movement ask them to uncap the back, and you really have to disect it part by part.

an Asian 3035, 3135. is not there yet. but to the untrained eye; its hard to tell. most people just look for some writings "rolex 31jewels" 3135 ect..ect.. and they are fine with it. color of paint, color of the wheels, dissect the whole thing piece by piece.

they should have a good return policy. 30 days. or atleast enough time for you to take to an A/D to get checked out. your spending 5-10k+ on a watch and they give you a 48 hour return policy?

ask for a contact #. interview them. the avg joe is not going to have 10-20 rolex watches forsale. ask them if they are a dealer. dealer#, google them, go on spekeo look them up. in this day in age, everything can be copied, everything! yes the swiss has made good watches; but a watch is a watch. its not some nuke tech. it can and are copied.

But also in this day in age you have enough "tools" you can use at your discloser.

rolex if you do your homework; you should be okay, rolex has # everywhere, between the lugs, clasp. endlink on band, and now even on the inhult or inner rim of the watch. google the number , the # on a rolex is like a car VIN#.Panerai, ask them the date it was made, they should be able to tell you by reading the serial#. most common on a oyster band is 62523N.18 D12, new ones cl 72200. fakes. most common # used, there are some clones. custom made, copies of another watch;that belongs to someone else. thats another scary story. "hey! nice watch can i take some pics? can i wear it tonight?! going out with this girl?! "NO!" people pay allot of money for serial # from rolex. and the poor guy will never know; that theres 5 copies floating around. anyhow...

if they have nothing to hide the pics should be clear! they are selling 5-10k watches, they can spen 500 on a cam; not some pic taken with a 5megapix phone. "new dial" new band, replaced this and that. well ask who did the work? they should have doc. to prove who did the work. if its "joe blow" then walk. no RUN. would you take your 5k investment to someone just anyone?

have some common sense. i don't get it. some of you people cry about how you got ripped off. after the fact; when all of the signs were there. like this omega seamaster. 120usd? WTH!!! you cant buy a citizen with that! Let alone a 18K GOLD OMEGA! "i thought it was a good deal and i was going to resell it." NO! you buy a 3k ,item 10 at a time and resell for 5k!or 4.2 and move it all in a few days. you dont get a 1200usd item for 120?! You knew what you were doing.

Don't play dumb and come to a forum and cry about it. YOU "SIMPLE"!
Message 16 of 38
latest reply

gunniejames
Scout
and also ask them to "bust out the scale" rolex uses 904 steel. very strong heavy solid ,steel. an oyster band shoud weigh 86-87gm/lb; thats with hollow middle links.

the copies cats try to use solid filled middle links to get the weight right. oyster links have hollow middle links. they all do.

Yes. the scale test is a good way to tell as well.
Message 17 of 38
latest reply

file a suit in small claims court where you live.  since your seller sells in your area he is liable to be sued there for fraud and misrepresentation.  collecting is another matter.  but you can get his personal infor through interrogtories and find out his assets, and where he works.  they you can ask the judge for writ of garnishment, attachment and get a certified copy of the judgement and file in the county where the seller owns property.   i am in the process of suing an ebay seller now.  ebay never protects the buyer and they never pay off what they owe under their so called buyer protection plan which has so many loopholes it is worthless protection.  and never buy from a foreign seller, because they will rip you off for sue or you send the item back and they say they never got it.  beware buying a car from ebay, they are the worst.  they sell junk cars. 

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

@cosmictantraone wrote:

i am in the process of suing an ebay seller now.

For what, exactly? A fake watch?

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

Definitely don't buy anything from CHINA (or Hong Kong) - the land of the fakes!

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

Ok. First of all ebay is all about protecting buyers. Yes dont buy from china its mostly **bleep**. But sellers constantly get screwed over by buyers because they take advantage of ebays buyer guarantees. To say buyers are not protected is the stupidest thing iv ever heard.
Message 21 of 38
latest reply

I've said it before...and I'll say it again.!

It takes two to Tango.

Ebay crooks couldn't operate successfully on eBay without the help of foolish, naive, and greedy buyers, wanting something for nothing.

If you see a Rolex watch listed on eBay for a fraction of it's true value...theres a 99% chance it is a fake..Smiley Frustrated

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

There are many ways people get scammed. You don't know the details of every case so get off your high horse. "I've said it before...and I'll say it again.!"  

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

It is not an stupid thing to think Ebay does not protect the buyers, before saying that you should check first. I just lost £99 for a item that I never received, and Ebay just closed the case in favor of the seller without proff. The item was delivered probably to another address and the seller replied to me saying that he covered his back with the Courier in the sense that any item under £150 did not require a signature. So how you take that? Is that the way Ebay protect the buyer?

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

truthfully ebay still profits from these lying cheating sellersselling items underfake discriptions wither any one admits it or not! it's why they are still up for sell many times over from multiple sellers take ultrafire battery's for example  they are the worst batteries you can ever buy making new legandary marks for complete **bleep** and the worst mah storage on earth yet they are for sell on ebay with better then average and even best real Battery performance out there specs for sell from your friendly profitting ebay under the most false specs for you to cherish forever! thats the real mottoe of ebay profits before honest in hopes no one is the wiser regardless of who is screwing who as long as ebay is the one going un noticed and left alone they get away with letting theifing sellers and even buyers on there sight and they profit from them any way even knowing they are selling fake false specs and false fraudelent discriptions broken as working items and it will never stop as long as ebay profits and is not noticed or held account able for doing nothing about it! which they don't!! Not unless people truelly get sick of it and stand up agaonst itregardless of what it is in your life if you stand and do nothing you get evil plain and simple

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

I have received fake items too.  I think we can hold EBay responsible for this.  I've talked to customer service and they gave me a phone number that takes me no where.  The phone number is 408 376 7400.  It tells you to put in a five didget ext number but then hangs up.  I've tried 4 times.  No luck.  Let me know if you would like to band together to do something about this.  I still have all of my items.  You have 2 years to sue.  Let me know soon.

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

He wants to sue to get money jerk

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

Im actually going to be going to small claims for a car i bought on ebay.

I was screwing around on Ebay and seen a salvage title vehicle that didn't run, had no keys and can't legally be driven so i was buying it to basically be a sign to sit infront of my business but was worth well more then I paid.

The car had no reserve for the auction, the bid was super low on it and It was ending soon so I put down a small bid not thinking I would win in a million years.

When the auction was over I got a email saying that I won the car. But I'm guessing he doesn't want to give me what I paid for cause he didn't get the amount he wanted. 

I looked It up on Ebay and starting Nov 1 2017  the only non legally binding auctions on Ebay is Ebay motors and Ebay realty categories and this guy listed the car in the hobby category since it was basically a heavy paperweight and needed alot of work. 

I'm guessing he wanted to save on fees putting in in the hobby category instead of posting in Ebay motors and posted it in the hobby area which to what I have read on Ebay makes the auction a legally binding contract and he legally has to give me the car or I can take him to court to get the vehicle I paid for.

The reason I am asking is because after I won and paid I hired someone with a truck and trailer to drive the 4000 Miles round trip or 60 hrs drive time to pick it up but when they got to the state it was located the seller wouldn't respond with the address so I waisted $2000 going there and back for nothing! Yes I know I should of waited i was just excited and he never tried to back out or issue a refund so i sent the truck.

I have already paid for the car In full through Ebay so legally he has to give me the car or the actual value of the car, not just a refund or I can take him to court is what I need to know? Anyone know if I can get the car legally if he tries to back out??

Never in my life has this ever happened to me so i figured i would look around for people going through similar things with sellers. 

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

@fasterthanurmom

"so i figured i would look around for people going through similar things with sellers. "

I doubt that you will receive any different answers than your other thread...particlarly on a SEVEN year old thread about a fake watch.

Message 30 of 38
latest reply