cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*BEWARE* Fake Citizen Eco-Drive Watches

I recently got burned on a counterfeit watch that is listed as "Authentic".

I was initially very pleased with the watch until I received a message from another person that had been ripped off by this guy.
I wasn't sure that my watch was a fake until this guy was able to tell me what my serial number was.
He knew my serial number because it was the same as his serial number and the same as ALL OF THE SERIAL NUMBERS because these watches are fake.

After that I began to pay more attention to the detail of the watch and discovered a few flaws.
1. It loses about a minute every other day, you'd think they could make a counterfeit that at least keeps good time.... must be easier said than done.
2. The illumination is wrong. Only the hands illuminate (and they are very faint) An AUTHENTIC watch would illuminate the hands, the "12" and each of the tick marks around the dial.

So I have started the dispute process.
Initial replies stated that my money would be refunded, so I was fine with that... I just need the ridiculous Chinese address so I could send it out.
Once the guy responds with his address he tells me "Send regular air post, no tracking number"... uh-huh, sure thing pal.
Then hidden amongst the wall of text I notice "I will exchange for you"
Uh, excuse me?

We have discussed a refund for days and then he tries to sneak in an "exchange offer" for a watch I would send with no tracking.

Now, I know this guys is a counterfeiter and he is deliberately trying to be deceptive in the dispute process so now I really don't trust him at all.

I'm curious if I can have ebay "middle" this deal for me.
i.e. Give me my money back BEFORE I send this guy his crappy fake watch?

Sorry for the wordiness, I'm a little frazzled by this whole ordeal.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

gunniejames
Scout
absolutely, your not guilty. 385 sounds with in reason, jewelers or business operations cost, in general is about 30-40% (overhead) take that out and the 20% you mentioned, who knows?

But before you make a move you might want to post the link of the sellers post and have some of the "old timers" take alook.

I'm still learning myself.

but I have noticed that there are allot of hidden "fine prints"; buyers tend to overlook. return policy, new or used, warrantee,return policy, restock fees, etc... and sellers can be very creative with their wording.

yeah, I don't think I would hurt if you post the link, there are allot of helpful people in here.

I have been burned myself, plenty of times and those were face to face transactions.

99dollars hopefully it didn't break the bank. but sending it back is pointless, you'll be sending it back to some place in HK and chances are you'll be outted another 30-40 dollars,and your at risk of getting item taken away by customs. by then they had already made their money back 2x ; from S&H / re stock fees alone, allot of those are really are in the states; shipped from the states. I know for a fact. it's too much trouble for sellers to try to pass fake goods through customs and risk getting it taken away, delivery time is long because by the time you receive it the 21 day hold on the palpay acct is up.

There is just allot of ways the scammers get you. just take caution.
Message 16 of 38
latest reply

gunniejames
Scout
I hope there are no harm feelings between us.
Message 17 of 38
latest reply

If the seller is here in the US...can they still be fake? These are the two that I have my eye on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220988869315?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110903451241?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any advice is appreciated.

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

If the seller is here in the US...can they still be fake?

Of course they can. For that much outlay of cash, have it authenticated by a knowledgeable watch repairman as soon as you receive it. You have 45 days from date of payment to file a Significantly Not As Described dispute if the seller is not willing to take it back for a refund.

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

Do buyers normally get their money back if it is indeed a fake?

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

Do a search for replica citizen watches in google and you will be amazed to see how many different models are available.   Some of these replicas are being listed on the Bay as Genuine.

When I see a seller with no history, whose first item for sale is a Citizen Eco-Drive, my gut tells me it is not real.  Also, look at the description of the items.  Poor grammar.  This is a red flag that the item is coming from China and is most likely a fake.  If I do end up purchasing a Citizen, I will pay a reputable dealer.

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

"Do buyers normally get their money back if it is indeed a fake?"

If you open a significantly not as described complaint (SNAD, and state that the item is indeed fake, you may have to prove to eBay that it is fake, and the only way to do that is by having an expert, on letterhead stationary, say it is fake. This is sometimes problematic, as some experts charge, and others simply will not do it.

To avoid this, you simply state that the item is not as described. Then you will not have to prove the item is fake.

“As a general rule, if you want to get at the truth — hear both sides and believe neither.” Josh Billings
Message 22 of 38
latest reply

Throwing another variable in would be the question, "what's a fake"?

I like Citizen watches, their quality and technology are among the best. I have a decade or so old Eco Drive Titanium Chronograph and a slightly older World Time Chronograph. (not Eco-Drive). The older watch was a gift from a friend who happens to be a bail bondsman, it works perfect and looked fully genuine but upon researching it when I was going to sell it used on ebay I found that this was a watch with a genuine Citizen movement inside of a "clone" case that had all of Citizen's proper markings and everything.

It seems you can buy the movements through jeweler's parts channels overseas in bulk that are real Citizen.

In the end though (I realize this is an old thread) I can't help but agree with the poster who said he had little sympathy for buyers looking for $600-$2000 watches for $99. What did we expect?: Rolexes sold on the streets of Tijuana in the '90s for $25 for the bad copies, for $120 or more they were beautiful. 
We knew what we were buying.

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

cher6715
Enthusiast

I purchased this Citizen AT0365-56L on Ebay about 2 weeks ago. I bought it in the $130 range. Can someone tell me if it is REAL or FAKE? It shipped from San Francisco, but I understand it is a international watch.

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

cher6715
Enthusiast

I don't understand why the pictures uploaded so blurry. 8 mp pictures compressed I assume.

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

cher6715
Enthusiast

Sorry wrong post.

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

Recall to Citizen this is AT0365-56L not AT0365-56E

AS the first message sender, check a watch is fake or not you need to see the back of the watch.

I recommended Ebay to enforce all watches sellers whose need to sold the front surface and the back of the watch and the documents.

That will help us who like a "good deal" buyer as well as Ebay themselves.

I don't thing they listened!

Can I ask what serial no. was the watch the first message buyer got?

Because I recently bought one.Man Sad

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

that's what I thought but in 2014 I found that they outright do not penalise counterfeit sellers. Its astonoshing. On the phone with Ebay and they acknowledged it was counterfeit and not only did they suggest to send it back, but amazingly, the seller was refunded in a case and I was left without a fake watch or my money haha.

eBay has gone very downhill.

I have been looking for an alternative ever since..

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

You should probably take this post over to the Trust & Safety/SafeHarbor group and give more details about what happened & when.

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

You might get refunded for counterfeit item but I have seen claims where buyer took watch to jeweler and had it verified counterfeit only to have refund denied due to "opening of case back."  So another catch 22 from Ebay.  Best to stick with item not as described vs. counterfeit.

Message 30 of 38
latest reply