cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auction cancellation for the use of the word tank

I used the word "tank" to describe the form of a Waltham wristwatch and ebay cancelled the auction (200011892262 - Classic Lord Elgin Curved Back Tank 21Jewels 1930's) saying it was an infringement on the use of the word tank since Cartier owns the word. Has anyone else heard of a situation like this? There was no mention of Cartier anywhere in the auction. How can ebay prevent me from using a commonly accepted term in describing a watch? Something seems wrong here how far can companies go?
Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
This is an old issue. The Richemont group, which owns Cartier and many other watch companies, has been taking down auctions for several years for unauthorized use of their trademarked term "tank" when describing a watch shape other than Cartier. The word "tank" was first coined by Cartier in 1917 to describe the shape of their new watch which looked like a military tank when viewed from above. A search of the USPTO (U.S. Patent & Trademark Office) database will show a live trademark on file by Cartier for this word, when used in describing a watch.

You don't have to mention Cartier for it to be a case of trademark infringement. Also, don't be tempted to try and re-list using "tank-like" or "tank-shaped" or any other variation to try and circumvent the trademark issue... it won't work and you'll risk another VeRO takedown. Cartier also hasn't hesitated in the past to take people to court over trademark infringement:

Cartier v. Samo's Sons, Inc., 04 Civ. 2268 USDCSDNY January 26, 2006; Cartier v. Symbolix, 386 F. Supp. 2d 354 (USDCSDNY 2005); Cartier, Inc. v. Four Star Jewelry Creations, Inc., 348 F. Supp. 2d 217 (USDNSDNY 2004); Cartier, Inc. v. Three Sheaves Co., 465 F. Supp. 123 (USDCSDNY 1979).

Greg
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

vedave
Thrill-Seeker
Very interesting, Greg. Thanks. How about "armored personnel vehicle watch"?
Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for the information, sounds like a constitutional infringement of some sort but it's easier to change the wording when you couldn't win the argument. Does ebay provide a list of common words that can't be used in auctions?
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
"sounds like a constitutional infringement of some sort"

I'm not sure why you would think that. If you used the word "Coke" to describe your new soft drink, would you be surprised if you got a call from the Coca-Cola Company that owns that trademark for describing a soft drink? Before Cartier trademarked the use of the word "Tank" as it pertains to describing a new wristwatch shape, nobody else was using the word in that context and they applied for the trademark under U.S. Trademark law, just like you or I could have. Then they invested the marketing dollars promoting the new "Tank" style or else you wouldn't even be familiar with the term 90 years later.

eBay doesn't, to my knowledge, publish a complete list of trademarked or prohibited words anywhere, though you can review a partial list of registered VeRO members at the link below and view their individual "About Me" pages for more info about their intellectual property:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/vero-aboutme.html

Here is a link to the "About Me" page for Cartier, showing the word "Tank" as one of their trademarks:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=cartier.ips

Greg
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

ezednem
Enthusiast
hello, just had 2 of my vintage American watches removed because of "TANK" hard to believe.. would think this is a Public Domain word by now..Ebay also threatens to suspend my account..amazing! all the money they bring in and all I get is generic form reply's...pisses me off big time!!
Eddie
Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Many watch sellers on ebay selling non-Cartier watches will use the word "tanq" in their description.

On a sort of related subject, you can not use "like new" or "near mint" in the title. You can use those in the sub-title and the description.
Message 7 of 31
latest reply

garagesale11
Enthusiast
I just had my watch pulled three times before I saw this post. I am a marketing manager for a very large company and what the Richemond group is doing is walking a very fine line in the trade mark laws. If the word Tank is in the name of the product you are selling it is really not an infringement of the trademark. You are simple stating the name of the product you are selling. If anyone has a few hundred thousand dollars to throw around we could have a pretty good class action suit. 🙂
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
"If the word Tank is in the name of the product you are selling it is really not an infringement of the trademark"

garagesale11,

Don't quit your day job, because you wouldn't make it as a lawyer. I would expect a "marketing manager for a very large company" to have a better understanding of trademark law. It is also surprising that it would take anyone 3 VeRO takedowns before realizing they couldn't violate Cartier's trademark, especially considering the VeRO takedown notices from eBay are very clear about the potential consequences (suspension).

Cartier owns the exclusive right to use the word "Tank" as it applies to watches. They registered this trademark (trademark number 1,006,321) on March 11, 1975 for use of the word mark "Tank" as it applies to watches and have spent 4 decades and millions of dollars promoting the brand recognition of this trademark. They also registered the "tank" trademark for eyeglasses (1,546,139) and jewelry (3,006,779).

The watch you're trying to sell, an "Oakley Time Tank", actually got Oakley sued by Cartier:

1:06-cv-05841-LAP Cartier, A Division of Richemont North America, Inc. et al v. Oakley, Inc.
Loretta A. Preska, presiding
Date filed: 08/02/2006
Date terminated: 03/26/2007
Date of last filing: 03/26/2007

Cartier won this lawsuit. Cartier & Oakley reached a settlement (filed March 26, 2007) that enjoins Oakley from further use of the word "Tank" in naming or marketing any of its products. The financial details of the settlement weren't made public, but I would expect that it cost Oakley lots of $$$.

Greg
Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Greg is correct, If a company owns the rights to its name you cant argue with them. Dyson have objected to a review I have written here on ebay, Its just a review, They called it trademark infringement. I spoke to someone from the company, they say its misleading and shows their products in a poor light. I argue its just a review and it shows the good and bad points. Its had over 72,000 hits, but they feel I am not impartial. Ebay have kept it and up. Although if they are threaten with a law suit they will of course remove it, I would also if I was personally threatened. Until then it stays. Other reviews really attack the product, mine shows good and bad points, I think its the numbers of hits they don't like and that it will show up on many search engines.
If cartier own 'Tank' then you should not be able to use it. Mark
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A MOVEMENT IN TIME WITH BREITLING & ROLEX AN UNAUTHORIZED HISTORY
Mark

"Life has no remote get up and change it yourself" From Edelweiss Pirates Operation Einstein
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

stangragtop
Enthusiast
We'll I too had a Tissot watch taken off for using the word tank...Has anyone ever googled the word Tank Watch ??? There are enough ads to keep them busy sending out there stupid threats and it seems almost every old style watch on ebay show a reference to tank style!! These folks need to get a life.
Message 11 of 31
latest reply

There was another recent discussion about this whole subject. Based on it, I'm wondering what is the value in calling a non-Cartier watch a "tank" instead of a "rectangle" or "square"?
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

iamtnbikr
Enthusiast
That's why I own an Oakley Time Tank... er... Minute Machine. Yep, even Jim Jannard couldn't beat 'em.
Message 13 of 31
latest reply

401roofer
Enthusiast
WOW!
Message 14 of 31
latest reply

w2njs
Enthusiast
I watch the Hamilton listings on eBay and earlier this week there were at least two listings that used the word "tanq" and I didn't see the listings disappear. Fact is you MIGHT have a listing pulled if you call it a TANK or some variation of the word, and then again you might not.

Tom
Message 15 of 31
latest reply