cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how old is vintage?

I think I know the answer to this but I want to make sure. How old does something generally have to be, to be considered vintage?
Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: how old is vintage?

..or simply anything second hand and a couple of years old = vintage 😉

As a frequent  buyer on Ebay on occassion i have asked sellers how is this vintage or more importantly antique (in regards to jewelry). They get quite offended and quote me their 100% positive feedback! :^O

It works both ways though, i recently bought a brooch that was termed as vintage but was antique, paid a bargain price too!

Message 31 of 58
latest reply

Scarce implies " few", which isn't the same as vintage... There are plenty of items that are vintage and are common, even plentiful to the point of being ordinary and everyday. These are not synonymous terms, and could be considered misleading.
Message 32 of 58
latest reply

I agree vintage is just that a word describing, depending on what the item is, rule of thumb as far as what I've personally sold and purchased, vintage is 25 yrs and older, again it is just a word used to get buyers attention , its up to the buyer to do his homework and decide on item's vintageness, if thats a word... and there should be a date, it all comes down to the item at hand.

Message 33 of 58
latest reply

Yes, Websters has updated their definitions.  They do this yearly so it stands to reason that Webster's Vintage now reflects the vague eBay definition.  So take it to heart.  Vintage means something older.  You can put a date with it if you wish.... or not.  It can reflect something 20 years old, 30 or even 50 years.  I'd say it's up to the seller.....

LOL...

I always enjoy the How old is Vintage threads... Woman Wink 

photo nyrose.gif
Message 34 of 58
latest reply

Vintage is what you call something you are trying to sellI.

You call it used when you are trying to buy it.

I am a sceptic,  but over the years it has prevented me from wasting a lot of money.

Message 35 of 58
latest reply

I am in total agreement.

LESS than 20 years old is NOT Vintage. Selling something called vintage and less than 20 years old is fraud. Simples.

When sellers are asked the age of the article, be up front, nothing lost, but all to gain with being honest.

And antique is 100 years and older. 99 years is vintage, though I guess most people would give or take up to 20 years difference (ie: 80 years old).

Message 36 of 58
latest reply

My partner is a collector and his definition of 'vintage' is 20 years plus. Any item over 100 years is Antique. This does however exclude wine. 

Message 37 of 58
latest reply

LOL I dong't think my mom would like to be referred to as "antique" She's from the 1930's!

Message 38 of 58
latest reply

I have also noticed the heavy overuse and misuse of "vintage" by eBay sellers. I hate it. It seems the definition used by many of them is anything that came out of the factory before today!Ive seen the time  frames discussed here for "antique" and "vintage". I didn't realize  an antique had to 100 years old. In the collectibles field there are many items labelled "vintage" that fall far short of the official time frames discussed here. I think in certain fields, it could be appropruiate to call an item "vintage" when it is less than 50 years old. For example, I am a collector of aviation models - the kind manufactured for the airline industry, the military and the aircraft companies. These models are very rare and highly collectible. In cases like this, I think it may be appropriate to use "vintage" with an item that is less than 50 years old. But the item MUST originate from the time period that it represents. For example - the Boeing 707 was at the peak of its service life in the mid to late 60's. I think a 707 model could perhaps be called "vintage" if it is from that time period. THere are many more  models of all kinds of aircraft being made for collectors today. I don't buy those. It would be very inappropriate to call a 707 model "vintage" if it was produced in 1997. But that kind of thing happens all the time.

Message 39 of 58
latest reply

Haha, get this - do an eBay search for the word "vintage" alone.... 2,200,000 listings. Now do "rare" with "HTF" (hard to find) ... and you get 45,000 listings! Come on, people, ist that just a little bit extreme??

Message 40 of 58
latest reply

I refer to Vintage as 1960s or earlier. Antiques 1915 or earlier. Between 1970-present, use year if known. Or, put c. (Circa) 1980 if its a certain time period but exact year unknown.
Message 41 of 58
latest reply

I list vintage look items as vtg look or inspired,. I do research on dating because it matters. I have a personal choice and call items vintage or older, the best description in each case. Most folks now a days do not want true antiques 100+ years old. I including dating when I list things as antiques that are less than 100 years old but older than 75 years, I am not a purist just honest . I do my homework. Volume sales are great but not when sacrificing accuracy, integrity in a seller has great value for growing ones business and increased or repeat sales. Rare is overused however it is an opinion or assumption, not a production amount. I have sold rare items that may not has a small production number but are rarely put up for sale in any marketplace or antique shop, rare and hard to find are often one in the same.

Message 42 of 58
latest reply

If you are a buyer, simply ask. As a seller I usually know the decade at the very least and have forgotten to include it in description. I'm certainly human.....

Message 43 of 58
latest reply

Any computer you bought in the lst 3 months is Vintage.

Message 44 of 58
latest reply

yes
Message 45 of 58
latest reply