eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • StubHub

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

scottyz2cents
Community Member

Re: What makes something Vintage?

in reply to blomma2

Ebay has ruined the word Vintage.... lol.

It can actually apply to anything that is typical or popular of a certain age.  So a Lava Lamp is Vintage 60's.  A Flapper Dress is Vintage 20's and iPads are Vintage 2010.  When something typifies an era, it becomes instantly identifiable to that era.  But as far as we're concerned here on eBay, Vintage just means something sorta old....  :womanlol:  

Photobucket
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage. Mark Russell

~~~Posting to the boards on this ID since 2003....~~~
Please use plain text.
rebeccalittlegoeller
Community Member

Re: What makes something Vintage?

in reply to fashionyourlife

something 20 years old & older. 

fashionyourlife wrote:
Whether it is clothes or shoes or dolls or pottery, what makes it vintage?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

What makes something Vintage?

Ok, its seems that this chapter contains all the elements for the word "VINTAGE" , let me summarize them.
The elemnts necessary to make an object vintage are:
1) The object is no currently producted with the same characteristics of the VINTAGE one.
2) The word Vintage without a specified decaded tells that the object in the past was characterized by cool features unique in that era or those features were fashion in that era.
3) The word Vintage with a decade specified (e.g vintage '80) indicated more specifically that the object
estabilished the character of that decade.
4)Often the terms indicates that the age played a role on the quality of the object or that special materils available only at the time made them more valuable (e.g. wines or musical instruments..)
5) the word origin seems having something to do with the latin word "vindimia" or the italian prefix "vint.." (it stands for "venti"= "20") and the english work "age" ...probabily with a mispelled french word in between. It seems to suggest something 20 years old or older... but being true the term was born for wines ...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I found what I believe are items from the Roswell Saucer Crash Site at a garage sale near Roswell, but I cannot establish provenance, but I am convinced they are vintage. They have all of these strange markings, and when they are bent up, they always assume their original shape with no apparent wrinkles or damage. I would have taken photos but I dropped my camera and it broke. Can't win them all, I guess.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'm more confused than I was when I started reading this thread.
Please use plain text.
richarde13
Community Member

OK, so my can of Bud Light has a born on date of 11/13/05 that makes it vintage 2005, right? ;-)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

lee - what's worth is realizing you yourself are vintage - it's a shock!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Have you met my ex mother-in-law. hehehe
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Like a bad penny - here I am again. Am obviously putting off getting to work this morning!

All you jewelry people can jump me if you want - love vintage costume but am not an expert. Read somewhere and slotted it into my brain file - retro jewelry covers the period from the 30s to the early 50s and describes a style of jewelry that tends to big and overdone - usually in faux stones and metals albeit some is of very high quality in design and craftsmanship. The designers at the time were deliberately oversizing and chunking up classic designs of the period or earlier for an in your face deliberately fake look. I always associate it with that art style of the 30s that had those big boned muscled people that in turn makes me think of "vintage" Russian propaganda posters. Does this make any sense? In any case, I think I've scared myself into going to work before giving my brain any more room to wander!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

bill.glass - thank your for my first laugh of the morning! Being definitely vintage myself by any of the above standards - over 50 years - and hormonally challenged (ahem) due to being vintage - a good morning laugh is a wonderful thing!

And as the renter of 2 booths in an antique mall - I seldom use the word vintage when writing a ticket or label - nor the word antique. I use the date or era - i.e. 1940s early 50s Wallace China Restaurant Ware. If I have an exact date - that's even better but often rare. Selling on ebay is another whole ball of wax - the buyer has millions of items, originally only has a small thumbnail photo and a 55 letter description to window shop with. Going along with Webster, I consider vintage to mean the time frame - vintage 1970s, vintage 1980s, and yes, vintage 1990s. And I spend time looking thru ebay pulse once or twice a week in the categories I'm selling in. If the buyers are using the word vintage to search for an item like mine - I use the word in the title with a time frame.

Yes Virgina, there is a teenager out there who considers a 1990 tee shirt, Sat. Nite Live mug or piece of electronic equipment vintage! My memory isn't gone yet and I remember being 15 and considering all the items from the year of my birth, 1950, as being quaint, old fashioned and vintage. Between 15 and 21, aged my mom quickly, not by being a wild child but by constantly raiding her closet for "neat vintage stuff" to wear and bringing people home to see the living room furniture - ultra 1950 modern in pinks and blues!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

From The Buyers Guide to Affordable Antique Jewelry By Anna M Miller
"Period jewelry is jewelry that is defined by a framewoork of a specific time & style. The periods have been arranged chronologically for easier recognition & understanding of the style of particular eras:

Georgian: 1714-1837
Early Victorian: 1837-1860
Mid-Victorian: 1860-1880
Late Victorian: 1880-1901
Art Nouveau: 1880-1914
Arts & Crafts: 1890-1914
Edwardian: 1901-1910
Art Deco: 1920-1940
Retro: 1935-1950"

This book has been a most helpful guide for me. Image hosted by Photobucket.com Happy Holidays!
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Yes, very well put Myshabbychic! Yours is absolutely the right perspective given that eBay has provided a venue for "novices" to buy and sell. If you want to sell, then you use words that potential buyers (experts or otherwise) will be looking for. Your view is in stark contrast to "ictantique" who avoids auctions with the word "vintage" like "the plague." Poor guy/gal; must be missing out on a lot of good stuff that the rest of us are buying!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

This is sure an interesting topic. I always understood anything over 40 years old was a "collectible"; over 100 yrs old an antique. Then someone ponted out to me that the young folks (who buy alot) can't relate well to things 40+ because it was so far before their time. To them, stuff from the 80s is old. So "vintage 80s" is just as exciting to them as stuff from the 50s is to some of us. And I must agree with myshabbichic. I won't claim something to be old if its not but I'll sure squeeze that word "vintage" in whenever I can. I also list newer clothing under vintage and make it clear that it is not but will go well with your vintage wardrobe. I just feel that is the category to list things that have had a past life.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

think the antique/vintage jewelry category for costume jewelry has vintage/retro as 1940s - 1980s.

personally & in our local trade, have always heard vintage defined as 25 years or older. Retro is new/contemporary but in a vintage or antique style.

So, were surprised to see the eBay category of retro as 25 years or older.

have always known real definition of antiques to be 100 yrs or older, but have heard people use 50 years or older especially with respect to cars and electrical appliances... which has morphed in our area to all categories... when 50 years is loosely used by some dealers who seem to be having trouble filling their antiques stores with items actually about 100 years or older.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

well put myshabby!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com “When I found the potter's wheel I felt it all over like a wild duck in water.” ~~~ George Ohr ~~~ 'The mad potter of Biloxi'

Please use plain text.
Community Member

We can be as proper as we want about the usage of the word but when you take a look at "eBay Pulse" (which I try to do at least once a week in the catagories I mainly list in) you might be surprised at how often the word "vintage" is one of the most used search words in different catagories. Items from the early 1900's to the early 2000's that buyers are searching for and using this word. Computer and electronic buyers idea of vintage can be two years old - a young person today looking for a 1980's style of clothing - someone else looking for barkcloth curtains from the 50s. Whatever our concerns might be with the proper definition - if the buyers are using it to search for particular items, I'll use it when I have those items - when it comes to sales I'll get off my high horse and present my products with whatever words the buyers use, be they correct or not!

Don't get me wrong - I won't list a brand new purse made in an old style as vintage or a piece of repro pottery copyright 1996 made in china as vintage - but if buyers are using the word to search for a piece of merchandise from the 80s or even the 90s and I have the item - vintage will show up in the title.

Please use plain text.
alycnwonderland
Community Member

according to the vehicle registration department this 1974 VW that i own is vintage. i always thought it was vintage if it was 25 or older and retro if it was from the 80's. i never knew there were any real rules and that people were such sticklers about how the term is used. i'll have to keep that in mind when building my auctions.

as usual lost in a wonderland of dreams!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I use the same hard set rules as pattom554 does to define "vintage"

"Vintage: not new enough to be new, not old enough be antique."

:^O
Please use plain text.
blomma2
Community Member

OK everyone. According to Webster's Dictionary, vintage actually (1) "pretains to the year and place in which a particular wine is bottled, usually of high quality". However, it also means (2) "A year or period of origin", and (3) "Typified by excellence, maturity, and lasting popularity: CLASSIC" and lastly, (4) "Old or out-of-date."

In other words, vintage can be used for anything that was popular at one time but now out of style.

On the other hand, Victorian is a term used "of, relating to, or belonging to the period of the reign of Queen Victoria of England" in the 19th Century. This is the era of highly ornamental and embellished decor, and lots of lace. It is my favorite era.

Properly used the word means old, and from that period. However, if you have an item that looks like it's from that time but is not old, I would refer it as Modern Victorian, or of Victorian style, which is what my bedroom is.

Hope the above information is helpful to those of you that may have been confused over the meanings of the two terms.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Oh look at this Vintage definition from Dictionary.com;

Vintage; adj.
1. Of or relating to a vintage.
2. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic.
3. Old or outmoded.

I think that sums it up pretty nicely........or not, lol!
---------------------------------
CeCi

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security.
Benjamin Franklin
Please use plain text.