cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes something Vintage?

Enthusiast

Whether it is clothes or shoes or dolls or pottery, what makes it vintage?
---------------------------------
CeCi

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security.
Benjamin Franklin
57 REPLIES
Enthusiast

in reply to
For me it is provence and age. I mean something from my mothers wedding is vintage to me by provence and I guess actually age.
But vintage makes me think of old wonderful pictures or dishware or personal items like vanity sets and jewelry and of course clothing!

CAT FABLEUX
SASS#57117
Pathfinder

in reply to
Vintage: My second favorite word. PATINA is my favorite. In coin collecting one loosely says Mint and Mintage. So I wonder if Vintage came about by someone mis-pronouncing Mint into Vint. With Wine (Vino) the year it was made/harvested is Vintage. Mintage loosely means how many made in that year or made at the mint.
So to use them in a sentance:

I bought a wonderful bottle of vintage vino that had a wonderful patina. I used my vintage coin of low mintage that I had got from some vintage eBay sellers.
All I have are Old-Fashioned Glasses; ow all I need is some Depression-Era Vintage Glasses to drink it. But don't fear, I will sell my vintage car.
]Smiley Happy
Enthusiast

in reply to
I tend to think of "vintage" in general as the "decade" it is from (IE: vintage 50's) and must be over 25 yrs old. JMHO, though!

ACK! I'm reaching the point in my life where everything around me is VINTAGE by that definition!!!

I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

~Invictus, W H Henley~

Adventurer

in reply to
In proper usage, the term "Vintage" refers to a year or decade in which something was made, and is misused here on ebay!

For example: "Vintage Tablecloth"
should be
"Vintage 50's Tablecloth" or whatever decade it was manufactured in.

In common usage, though, "Vintage" usually refers to 50's or earlier...although I see the term used for items from the 70's and 80's.

Ask questions before you bid!
Explorer

in reply to
In common usage, though, "Vintage" usually refers to 50's or earlier...although I see the term used for items from the 70's and 80's.

I see that too! I think the term "Vintage" could mean anything that is no longer produced in a new form. For example, video games. Video games have really only been produced in the past 35 years, max, but there are several brands and games that are no longer produced! Therefore deeming them "Vintage".

Some people think vintage falls under the guise of antiques, but I think that antiques and vintage are two different subjects entirely.

in reply to
The way it was explained to me was to be antique it had to be at least 100 yrs old, vintage had to be 20 yrs old.
Who knows.....
Marg
Enthusiast

in reply to
I heard it was vintage=at least 50 yrs old, and antique=at least 100 years old.

Hands up if YOU are "vintage"!

Trailblazer

in reply to
"vintage" is from your own childhood. "antique" is from everybody ELSE's childhood!

but seriously, a lot of people will use vintage to mean anything they remember from when they were kids. so that 27 year old guy who's listing that toy he had when he was 5 could be talking about something from the early '80s.

although i've heard the 100-year "rule" about antique, i've never heard anything definitive about vintage, other than as a synonym for "circa", as gonewiththewindow described.
Enthusiast

in reply to
Well, just to reiterrate my explanation, I am not talking about Ebay vintage I am talking about personal.

CAT FABLEUX
SASS#57117
Enthusiast

in reply to
Vintage not new enough to be new, not old enough be antique.
Pathfinder

in reply to
I sell some vintage items and I have had many people ask me ...what makes it vintage...especially when they hear me say vintage buttons.....I tell them that they are at least 50 years old and sometimes hard to find another one like it. That seems to work well for me. I love the word vintage too!
Carolyn
Live with Passion.....
Enthusiast

in reply to
my kids cracked up when i tld them they were considered vintage on ebay. To me vintage is from my child hood either 50's or 60's.
Photobucket
Start em young!
forever in my heart my beloved son 11-8-1980-5-21-2006
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to
OP: I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you might be "vintage" and also "ooak" not to mention "HTF" I stress that last one .... "HTF"

Vote for Rad*Dad

Scout

in reply to
I heard that Vintage means 20 years and older and Antique means 100 years and older, too. So Vintage, could mean an item from 1905 to 1985. Too wide of a spread. There should be another word to describe things in between Antique and Vintage....
"Vintique" something approx. 50 years old.
Enthusiast

in reply to
Vintage in the old car movement is from Jan 1st 1919 to 31stDec 1930. Anything after that is Post Vintage. People often erroneously describe "a Vintage 1962 Ford etc"
Cars made prior to 1919 are Veteran.
This is the clasification used in my part of the world at least.

in reply to
In proper usage, the term "Vintage" refers to a year or decade in which something was made, and is misused here on ebay!

Gonewiththewindow, you nailed it...in my opinion, of course. It bears repeating...the year or vintage in which something was made.
An antique, Civil War era love seat can be 'vintage 1865', a Danish Modern Chair can be 'vintage 1950',...and as collectible as all get out...but not an antique.

BTW...the 100 yr cut-off is to do with gov regs on importing, to declare an item 'Antique', and was the benchmark for antique dealers for many yrs....hence the many "Antique & Collectible" shops.

In that useage, it is sometimes interchangeable with 'circa'...to avoid confusion....adding the year or decade to either word is always a good idea...again, in my opinion....it benefits the seller 'and' the buyer.

On eBay...these words mean what the seller 'thinks' they mean...I have seen no standard and no better advice than this:
Ask questions before you bid!

Regards, Feathers (smile)
(Great idea for a new board...I'll be visiting again to see what form it takes!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Normal people worry me.~
Enthusiast

in reply to
I also think Vintage refers to a year or decade in which something was made. But I think it should be over 20 years old to fit.

Vintage 2002 just does not work in by book.

Now vintage 70's works and my 34 year old daughter does not have any vivid memories of the 70's. But my grand kids can remember 2002. So I think its a combination of things.

My take on Vintage is something at least 20 years old , it refers to the year or dacade the item was made and the item is no longer made. Well you know what I mean by no longer made not talking about the reproductions.

Vintage 70's 8 track tape
Dianne
Pathfinder

in reply to
"Vintage" usually means it's something I want.;-)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Goddess of all things domestic

Photobucket

Enthusiast

in reply to
Sometimes Vintage is termed 20 years and older, and others, 25 years and older, and then there's
50 years and older.

Major headache? I agree!

I've been to offline Auction Houses, and you could have
one item 1972 and declared vintage, and have another item
that's 1939 and still declared vintage.

I believe Vintage is the most over-abused word.

My current paperwork (from 1994) stated this:

Classic - 20 years to 49 years
Vintage - 50 - 74 years
Antique - 75 years and older

GEESH!

<------ remembers Antiques were anything that was 100
years and older

<------ plus - hadn't heard anyone use the word "Classic"
except in automotive and mechanical items

<-------- still wondering who makes up all these
"RULES" and "REGULATIONS" ... unfortunately, there's
so many "Agencies" and "Societies" that have their
own set ..

And result?

Arguments! Fur Flying! Banterings!

I used to have this mode:

OLD
VERY OLD
OLDER THAN DUST!

While humorous --- it did sell, but no one's putting
"OLDER THAN DUST" on auction titles anymore!

*grins*

Have a great weekend coming up!