eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

Re: How old does something need to be to be considered vinatge or antique?

in reply to 1wilddream

So pathetic that you have nothing better to do than to be a tattle tell over the words antique or vintage...what is wrong you approaching the antique side of life??? Get over yourself and let people be. They asked to become knowledgeable and you turned that want of knowledge into a 3 ring circus with being such a whinner! Go on get a life already!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to hamptonauction

You said what I really wanted to say to that person about them telling on them...tattle tells beware beware we have a person getting their rocks off by doing nothing but slamming then jamming the people right down the throats of eBay as if eBay has nothing better to do than to follow a little twit or I mean person for being such a tattle tell! They need to get over themselves already!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to babyhoneyand7

To be considered as antique, according to google search sites they say it must be 100 years of age. I had always been taught it was 75 but I guess too many things lasted that long so now they raised it LoL. But it does say 100 years old.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to silverthwait
Woah...you can speak "ex cathedra" on something?

If you want to make a point about something for which you claim to be an expert, you could choose your words more wisely, and avoid exaggerating, or else you risk losing all credibility.

The term "Ex Cathedra" literally means, “From the chair” of St. Peter, regarding a pope's final authority on faith and morals, which has been given by God. The number of all ex cathedra statements made by all popes combined is less than 10. And this is in a 2,000 year period! But all ex cathedra proclamations were simply restatements of the constant teaching of the Catholic Church.

You learn something new every day, huh?

Anyway, I agree with you (except for that papal statement). It sure sucks to buy a "vintage" perfume, only to receive a a **bleep**py 5 year old reformulation that, 20 years ago used to be wonderful, but now smells like "fake jasmine bug spray" !

Jennifer
Please use plain text.
thelmasstuff
Community Member

silverthwaite is correct.

The word VINTAGE only means the date something was made.  If you use the term on Ebay, you can mean a particular decade, like "Vintage 1970s" or "Vintage 1940s."  I does not refer to a particular date.

Most real dealers will agree that to be an antique, the item must be 100 years or older.

I get annoyed when I'm looking for something antique and I get a gazillion hits on "antique finish" stuff.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

In this country, "Antique" has a LEGAL definition of 100 years old.  Period.  Done. Anything older that 100 years old is an an antique.

No more to say about it.

Vintage: EVERYTHING created has a vintage.  Everything!  Although it originally was a term most specific to wine, it has come to mean WHEN SOMETHING / ANYTHING  WAS MADE.  Period.  Done.

However, use some sense when using the term.  If you are talking about an item that makes one think of a particular era, cite the era.  As in Vintage 1920's flapper dress, WWII Cookbook (blethch!), the cookies your mother made yesterday at four PM.  Yes, that IS the cookies  V I N T A G E!!!

If perhaps you know your item has some age to it, but you haven't a clue, follow the people on eBay and use the word "vintage," if you must.  A prospective buyer will know that the widget IS older than last week, and if you say (in the body of the text) that it belonged to your Uncle Fred who died 23 years ago, it will give them some vague, but possibly useful idea.

And do not forget that an antique also has a vintage.  As in "Antique Naval Uniform, vintage 1860's.  

And, don't ever misidentify.  If that uniform wasn't issued until the 1880's, trust me, some collector will KNOW.

Print this out.  :smileyhappy:  It's the only eBay topic about which I speak ex cathedra!  And it makes everything very simple.

Please use plain text.
hamptonauction
Community Member

in reply to mscarlett1450

I also agree with Skippers answer, which is how I use the terms.

Andy

Please use plain text.
mscarlett1450
Community Member

Hamptonauction:  I laughed when I read that too. 

OP:  skipper gave the best answer.  Vintage depends on the item.  I sell glass and pottery.  Dish sets made in the 1920's to the 30's are Depression from the 40's to the 70's are vintage.  Limoges place settings made in the 1890-1900's are antique. 

Please use plain text.
hamptonauction
Community Member

in reply to 1wilddream

"You are supposed to abide by ebay guidelines or be fined for false advertisement."

You're joking right???

"....go to an antique dealer and find out. Or talk to ebay."

...that is even funier.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Big on past, Unless that item was in Grandma's attic for 100 years it is not and antique.
Please use plain text.
winenegociant
Community Member

Vintage Beaujolais 2013 released Nov. 21 so that would be all of 12 days old.
Please use plain text.
1wilddream
Community Member

in reply to mamamari1978

You are full of it. You are not going by wikipedia here. You are supposed to abide by ebay guidelines or be fined for false advertisement. If you don't know what an antique it go to an antique dealer and find out. Or talk to ebay. I am reporting people when I see false advertisement because it is not true.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

For most things (although lots of folks would like to think otherwise) antiques are items that are at least 100 years old.  There are some exceptions.  For example, antique cars are ones over 45 years old.

Vintage is an overused word that essentially means little without an accompanying time frame (e.g. 1950s),  For example, if you say I "a vintage toy robot", it conveys little information.  However, if you say "a vintage 1960s toy robot", it conveys that the robot is from the 1960s.

Lots of folks use vintage to mean a certain number of years, and that may be true for certain items that have been defined that way.  However, you can have vintage wine that is from 2004 (2004 vintage).  You can have vintage PCs from the 1980s.  You can have vintage Beanie Babies from the 1990s.

People in debt often confuse the word "need" with "want". People who do not succeed often confuse the word "can't" with "won't". - John -
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have read a great definition of "vintage" from a poster here some time ago..VINTAGE: ' I haven't seen one in a while..' There are other defintions as well that he/she wrote and I took the liberty of writing them down for MY own use and everytime I go on e-bay to view for purchasing, I look at my card (where they're written) and I get a good chuckle...need the chuckle because shipping cost is a reality check, but a necessary evil...here are the rest..1) ANTIQUE-"My grandmother used to have one" 2) VINTAGE-"I haven't seen one in a while" 3) OLD-"Mines in the attic" 4) CLASSIC-"Popular last year" 5) RARE- "Listed on E-BAY no oftener than once a week" 6) UNIQUE- "Only a dozen left" 7) COLLECTABLE- "I thought it was great, but I don't want it anymore" 8) SCARCE- "I need to get it sold before I misplace again" 9) RETRO- "Covered in plastic and price jacked up"  I wished that I kept the posters name, they deserve all the credit for such insightfulness

Please use plain text.
mamamari1978
Community Member

This is what I got from Wiki ...

Technically vintage means something is at least 7 years old. Antique used to mean at least 100 years old, but now the distinction has blurred a bit and people use the term antique to refer to something 50-75 years old. If it is over 30% of your life span, its vintage!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

How old does something need to be to be considered vinatge or antique?

Just wondering how old things need to be?

Please use plain text.