cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CORNINGWARE 9 CUP PERCOLATOR RECALL

chgo11216wc7
Enthusiast
Hi, I know that the cornflower blue non electric coffee pot percolator was recalled in the 70's. Because of this, is it not allowable to list this item? Thank you for your help.
Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: CORNINGWARE 9 CUP PERCOLATOR RECALL AND ALL PERCOLATORS!

@desdam wrote:
its an electric appliance, so, no,
you would not want to use it on a stove.

these were recalled because of the hazard of catching fire.
is it really worth it to risk using?

your dh is correct. flowers.

Oh - Mine's not electric - it doesn't have any cords.  I was told the recall was due to the handles falling off.  This isn't my pic - but is what mine looks like: http://img.thrfun.com/images/database/tff42226801.jpg

No - I wouldn't even think of putting an electric appliance on the stove!  I'm assuming this is a stovetop perculator.  Though I'm in my 40s, drip coffee makers took the place of perculators by the time I started drinking coffee - and may parents didn't drink coffee - so I don't have a clue as to how to use a perculator!

I do seem to recall though - at relative's houses - seeing perculators on the stove as well as others with cords that sat on countertops.  In my own home, we had a smaller pot (same design, different shape) that was used on the stove to boil water for tea.  That's why I'm wondering if I could use this one to boil water for tea (without the perculator parts).

Message 31 of 74
latest reply

The one you show in the link is definitely a stove-top model. My grandmother had - and for many years used - one just like it, back in the days before the Mister Coffee & other kitchen coffee makers became ubiquitous.

The recall was indeed for the handles on certain Corningware pots - apparently, they had a nasty habit of falling off... I don't know  which models were actually involved in the "recall" - but eBay apparently disallows all of them, recalled or not.

Your pot was made for stove-top use, and as such, it would certainly be safe to use on a stove for heating water - provided that you're not concerned about the handle. As mentioned, I don't know if that particular pot was actually recalled or not, but I would check it often & confirm that the handle is not loose, cracked, or otherwise unstable. You certainly don't want the handle to fall off and leave you covered in boiling water!

Message 32 of 74
latest reply

Thank you!  Very helpful.

I just did one more google search - before putting my pot to work boiling water for tea - and found http://www.corellecorner.com/company-history/241-corning-ware-percolator-recall-1976-1979.html

I was thinking that, hey! If the handle hasn't fallen off yet, after all these years, I'm probably safe! Right?  But - it seems quite the opposite (according to this site) it seems that the recall was for all of these pots (not just specific ones) and the glue holding the handles in place tends to weaken over time with use and washing - so it would seem that the older the pot is, the more susceptible it is to handles falling off.

"the connection between the black handle and the metal collar is not the problem, the fault lies with how the metal collar is attached to the glass-ceramic pot.  They are glued together, and in time the glue will shrink and crack after repeated heating cycles and exposure to moisture.  The seepage of coffee, water and detergents into the overlap between the pot and the collar is particularly destructive"

Okay - so this pot will probably live out its retirement days holding flowers - and I think I will buy a new pot for boiling water 🙂

Message 33 of 74
latest reply

Hello,

Regarding ALL Corning percolators and or coffee pots:

Back in the 1990's I contacted Corning about an extra cord to have on hand (before Ebay) Corning advised me on the recall and that no more parts were available. Corning mailed me these diagrams about percolators involved and not involved. I wish to share them with all of you.

I have used my Corning E-1210-8 percolator for more than 40 years Never a problem and I drink coffee more than I should daily.

In 1976 after the recall Corning still made the E-1210 Cornflower, E-1210-8 Spice O' Life, and E-1210-9 Country Festival percolators. Consumers mail their unsafe pots in and were sent a new safe percolator in one of these three patterns, because these were the only patterns availible.   

Message 34 of 74
latest reply

Sorry, forgot the other from Corning.

Message 35 of 74
latest reply

Thanks for posting - this info does help clarify things.

I have the 6-cup rangetop perculator with the stainless steel pouring lip.  I can't find a model number on my pot.

Per the second illustration you just posted, it looks like mine was on that recall list.  It's still sitting in my kitchen - not put to any use.

I spotted another at a thrift store last week but didn't pick it up.  I noticed it was gone pretty quickly.  It also had the stainless steel rim.

From the illustrations you posted, I'm thinking that the easiest way to spot those recalled from those not recalled is by the rim.  Looks like the stainless steel rims were the ones they were havinging problems with - and the glass pouring rim pots were okay.

I do like to pick up pieces in the cornflower blue pattern whenever I come accross them - will probably just stay away from any perculators I see though.

Okay so - I have no idea what to do with this perculator I have in my kitchen.  Can I use it as a planter for kitchen herbs?  

Message 36 of 74
latest reply

Your welcome,

I forgot I had kept them after Corning mailed to me and found with the owners manuals for my Corning percolators.

If you do decide to get a percolator remember to look for the models on the first list I posted. This is my E-1210-8 pot and you can see the three digit number to the right of the handle on the metal band and these three numbers will vary on the pots that have them. This is NOT part of the recall and is safe to use. Mine stays on our kitchen counter daily unless it is on the breakfast table.

Thank you,

Message 37 of 74
latest reply

Hi,

I've been selling the inserts of the 9 Cup Corning Ware Blue Cornflower Stove top percolators/coffee pots for years on Ebay. I thought only the pot  was recalled not the parts. Ebay just shut my recent auction only selling the parts. Has Ebay changed its policy about the parts?

Thanks!

Sandy

Message 38 of 74
latest reply

Does anyone know what to do with one if you have it? I can't sell it apparently but does Corning still take them back? I have the 9 cup model with the metal spout/ring.

Message 39 of 74
latest reply

i have a 10 cup p-80 i use daily the handle came off with a few parts few parts from the local hardware store (allen head bolt & nut) drilland countersink hole where original screw was and im brewing again.

Message 40 of 74
latest reply

I'm looking for the plastic insert that goes into the center of the lid/ Mine broke but the rest is still perkin' after all these years. If you email me lindatibbetts at hotmail , we can talk.

Message 41 of 74
latest reply

This was the Corning Corrective Action Program.

No Corning does not take back recalled percolators. 

In 1976, Corning took back recalled percolators and replaced them with a new assembled percolator.

Then In 1979, Corning issued the second recall because consumers were still using recalled percolators. Since Corning discontinued their percolators owners of recall percolators were sent a catalog of select Corning Ware products with an order form and a box to mail in just the lid of the recalled percolator.

After this owners must contact Corning regarding percolators for information about the Corning Corrective Action Program.

I still have my stove top models that match my E-1210 (it is not involved in the recalled in photo) and I use them as coffee carafes to serve already made coffee in my sunroom or outside by the swimming pool or when cleaning out my E1210 percolator.

Message 42 of 74
latest reply

Hi,

I know this post of yours is from last year but I just had a corningware listing removed from ebay also.  When I called they told me about the recall of the (metal pour spout) pots.  After a quick internet search I came up with this board thread including your question.  Today ebay rep told me I could list the internal parts and the rep stated she made notes to that effect.  But after reading your post from last year I am now a bit nervous even though my parts are in great condition.  

Anyway, if you have any advice I'd be glad to hear it 🙂

Thanks, Maggie

P.S.  After reading some more comments I would like to add that the rep told me not to put the pot in the photo with the parts.  Apparently, from reading comments, showing the pot may be an attempt to sell the whole shebang while listing it for "parts" and getting around the recall.

Message 43 of 74
latest reply

Again, the three digit number to the right of the handle means you E-1210 is not part of the recall. This is my percolator just shy of 40 years old still perking.

Message 44 of 74
latest reply

Since, the photo's of my diagrams from Corning are not coming up. Please visit Flickr then seach "Corning Percolator Recall" for a better and complete Photo's. Smiley Mad

Thank you,

Message 45 of 74
latest reply