cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CORNINGWARE 9 CUP PERCOLATOR RECALL

chgo11216wc7
Enthusiast
Hi, I know that the cornflower blue non electric coffee pot percolator was recalled in the 70's. Because of this, is it not allowable to list this item? Thank you for your help.
Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: CORNINGWARE 9 CUP PERCOLATOR RECALL

Sell it locally - at a garage sale or on Craigslist.

People in debt often confuse the word "need" with "want". People who do not succeed often confuse the word "can't" with "won't". - John -
Message 16 of 74
latest reply

There are currently 159 of these pots offered for sale on eBay, and from looking at the photos and Corning's recall photos, only 3 of them fell into the recall. Mine got booted and it was not one of the recalled ones

Message 17 of 74
latest reply

shipment-confirmed
Enthusiast

Would it be possible to post a link which would show a picture of this safe pot?

Message 18 of 74
latest reply

Sellers of the recalled Corningware percolators are just skating around the legalities of selling them.

Almost all the listings that actually have the pot and all parts, just say Corningware coffe pot (or percolator) parts, and list that all parts are included.

It would sort of be the same as if a seller sold any other recalled item (e.g. a child's toy that could be disassembled) by saying that their listing was just for the parts for the toy, and all parts were included.

Usually, such listings are pulled because someone reported the listing, not because eBay actively pursued such listings for recalled items.

People in debt often confuse the word "need" with "want". People who do not succeed often confuse the word "can't" with "won't". - John -
Message 19 of 74
latest reply

Well I just had my auction for a 4 cup coffee pot pulled and the 4 cup ones were never in the recall.  The pots that were recalled were only the ones with the metal spouts.  They never even made 4 cuppers with metal spouts.  I called to complain but they said it is easier to just ban them all than to go through all the listings.  Why not just ban the ones with metal spouts?  What the heck?  The stinkin thing was sold and this was the last day.............I am ticked......

Bummer.  I guess eBay doesn't want to get into the business of identifying which Corningware percolators were recalled.

Here's probably the best info about which Corningware coffee pots were recalled and when -

http://www.corellecorner.com/company-history/241-corning-ware-percolator-recall-1976-1979.html

Message 21 of 74
latest reply

crustychilipepper
Enthusiast

I had one pulled a couple years ago (but mine had the screws). I found a listing of one of the recalled ones that had sold recently, so I contacted that seller and asked her for some info on this recall business, and asked her how she was able to sell hers without it being pulled. She told me the exact same thing that Skipper-J said above; that the listings that were being allowed to remain were listed as for the parts only, and that all the parts were present and accounted for. She said most sellers would include a couple of pics that showed the actual pot in the background. She went so far as to say it was like an unspoken knowledge between the buyer and seller that the auction was actually for the entire package. I just farmed the 5 I had out to my coffee-drinking family members, and they are still using them! I'm not taking any chances trying to list one!

Message 22 of 74
latest reply

first i was told by agent "Easter" that the item could be sold if the listing stated it had been repaired.  i re-listed it with a photo of the pot, but clearly stated it was not for sale, and it was pulled again.  this time when i called, trust and safety supervisor "Larry" said that the parts could not be sold either.  when i asked him about the 219 other active listings for this part, he told me not to concern myself with other listings!  i asked him to specify where it states in ebay listing rules that parts of recalled items (that have not themselves been stated in the recall) can not be listed.  he could not, but said  "trust me" it's a rule.  it's hard to trust anyone at ebay when every agent gives a different answer ~ especially when an agent like "Larry" ends the call with a comment like, "if you don't believe me, you ca call back and speak to someone else".

FYI ~ the product safety recall is for the pot only, as stated above, because in "rare cases" the epoxy seal fails when heated and the pot can come loose from the handle. 

it's extremely frustrating and unsettling to deal with ebay when the apply rules capriciously, and differently to different users.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1979/Major-Corrective-Action-Set-On-Corning-Ware-Coffee-Percolators/

Message 23 of 74
latest reply

There seems to be some confusion in these posts.  For more specific info, please read the following:  http://corellecorner.com/company-history/241-corning-ware-percolator-recall-1976-1979.html

Message 24 of 74
latest reply

My name is Tim and just wanted to let everyone in one information about the Corning Recalls for Percolators.

Corning had 2 Recalls one in 1976 and the other in 1979.

In 1976 during the recall people that sent in their percolators were sent new percolator with a three digit number to the right of the handle ingraved on the metal band of the coffee pot. Each three digit number on these percolators will be different for each pot. The percolators that DO NOT have this three digit number are NOT safe to use.

By 1979 Corning no longer made percolators because everyone was going to the automatic drip coffee makers. Corning even make a filter-drip coffee pot know as P-106. 

I called Corning back in the early 90’s when I found a percolator at a Flea Market and asked about an extra cord. They revised about the Recall and sent me information to identify my percolator. We have the Spice O’ Life Percolator E-1210-8 model (with the 3 digit number) and use it almost everyday for more that twenty years. Well I also have a 6 and 10 cup stovetop percolator Spice O' Life both with the three digit number on the metal band. I use the stovetop with a filter-drip cone only because it take a long time to wait for the water to boil and perk on the stovetop.

If your sure about the percolator you have then call Corning 1-800-999-3436 and they will send or email a diagram on how identify your percolator.  This is off the letter from the 90’s, but still their number…very cool.

I have tried to information Ebay on the details of the recall and was unsuccessful. If Ebay would just contact Corning!!!

Message 25 of 74
latest reply

Based on reading others experiences onother threads,you might consider it is likely not important whether Ebay is right or wrong on the variations of this item.

One should consider if the policy violations on your account  (whther rightly or wrong applied) are worth the small profit one might get for this item.

Message 26 of 74
latest reply

Hello,

I saw your post and thought I would contact you. I have a Corning Ware Cornflower percolator (the large one) that I bought at a flea market in November 2013. It looked to be in new condition but the plug caught fire ( the end that was plugged into the outlet, not the end that goes in the pot). Do you have the cord to your pot and if so, would you be willing to sell it?

Thanks!

Roxy

Message 27 of 74
latest reply

Message 28 of 74
latest reply

It sounds like if eBay lifts their block on selling this percolator then there are a lot of listings that will go up!

I found one last summer, listed it, and quickly received a phone call from eBay explaining that they had to pull my listing.

My percolator has been sitting around in my kitchen all this time.  I have several pieces of the matching bakeware - it's my favorite for brownies & microwake rice dishes (Zatarain's!)  I also recently found a pie plate - I think I'll keep it just because it matches, though I don't make pie.

So anyway - was actually moving things around my kitchen today and wondering what to do with this perculator.  My husband suggested flowers - but - I wonder...  I've been looking for a teapot - to boil water for tea - could I use this just to boil water?

I know this may sound like a really stupid question - but I honestly don't know.  My mom had a much smaller pot (same design) for boiling water when I was a kid.  We had a gas range then, I have an electric range now.  I never use any of these pieces on the stove top - only microwave or oven.

Is this pot safe to boil water on an electric stovetop?  (I don't mean in regards to the handle falling off / per the recall, I mean in regards to the pot itself - the glass on the electric burner)

And for that matter - does anyone know if the other covered dishes I have are safe for stovetop use?

Message 29 of 74
latest reply

its an electric appliance, so, no,
you would not want to use it on a stove.

these were recalled because of the hazard of catching fire.
is it really worth it to risk using?

your dh is correct. flowers.
Message 30 of 74
latest reply