cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rags or Riches?

Greetings,

I found two very old women's swimsuits among my grandmother's effects.  Both swimsuits are identical.  Unfortunately, both have a significant number of moth holes (I'm assuming they're moth holes). 

Even though they look identical, including the tags, the tag copies are slightly different.  The first says:

Jantzen (or maybe Gantzen)

Balch Bros. Inc

Chicago

Made in USA

Pat Sept 6 '24

The other tag says the same except instead of Balch Bros Chicago, it says Swimsuit.

My Mom thinks they came from Catalina because of the logo on the front hip.  Any idea if that could be true?  I'm assuming they came from the 20's because of the Patent, but I'm not sure.  And the main question... any idea if they are worth putting on EBay to fund a lavish retirement or should I use them to wipe down the car for work in the morning?

Please note that the swimsuits are Navy Blue.  The close-ups look gray because the camera flash blew out the color.

Many thanks!

KaweahMac

Swimsuit.jpgSwimLogo.jpgSwimHoles.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Rags or Riches?

The logo is the Jantzen label. It is from the 1920s according to the Vintage Fashion Guild, due to the cap and stockings. I don't know that you will be able to retire, but don't use them as a rag. Certainly list them, check completed listings,

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Jantzen men's wool swimsuit from around 1920 (logo helps date it).  I have one just like it in one of my shops only not nearly as much moth damage.  That said; the moth bites in mine were sturdily hand patched (most folks didn't own multiple swimsuits back then). 

Perfect for someone channeling Gatsby or for a "Polar Bear Club" participant on New Year's Day.  I suspect these were quite warm (and itchy) in the water.  Not sure if it's true, but was once told there's a f*tish market for this sort of thing too.

Jantzen was first founded in Portland, Oregon.  They had factories in the Pacific NW (a friend's Mom used to work at one in the Potrland/Vancouver, WA area).  They later (around 1960 as I recall) had factories in Spain (?) -- sorry- memory's not all that great anymore; but you can research Jantzen to be sure.

These wool "onesie" suits are hard to find... and that Jantzen swimming girl used to appear about their office in portland as a cut out billboard that spanned nearly the whole building - a true Portland landmark, IMHO.

KD - Remember, STORE searches = hidden treasure!
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Should've looked closer before hitting post - have you tried these on a mannie?  I was just presuming they were men's because the construction was so similar to mine.  When I put mine on a female form, it failed to cover up 'the girls' properly - mine states right on the tag it's a Jantzen men's suit.

KD - Remember, STORE searches = hidden treasure!
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Suit was.probably made at the Portland OR or Vanc Wa sewing factories. I worked at the Vancouver plant for 22 years.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply