eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
st.louis67
Community Member

Banned Xbox 360 Consoles

My family are BIG time video gamers, mainly focusing on the Xbox 360. Being a member of the Microsoft Xbox Forums Community, I have seen a BIG increase on banned consoles (consoles no longer able to use the Xbox Live service due to modding/hacking console, theft of Microsoft services, attempting to buy, sale, trade Xbox Live Services, etc.).

How can you protect yourself from purchasing one of these "banned" consoles on Ebay? If you ask seller before bidding if the console is "banned", should they truthfully admit it is a banned console? And if they are not truthful, how can you receive your money back?

Once you purchase a "banned" console, you have to invest more money (Gold membership to play on Xbox Live, DLC (down-loadable content), etc.), with the possibilty of losing that investment.

Just curious if Ebay has seen an influx of these "banned" consoles? Thanks.......

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Banned Xbox 360 Consoles

in reply to st.louis67

Truthfully, if the console is banned from XBL, that would be considered an item defect. You could probably file a complaint saying the item did not match the description (if such a detail was not mentioned in the listing).

There would not be anything wrong with asking the seller if the item was banned from XBL. That's what the little Q&A box is for.

Now, say you buy one of these banned X360's. If you file a complaint and the seller cries foul ("He didn't ask if it was banned!"), you would technically be in the right. Withholding an item defect is incorrectly describing the item; therefore, you're entitled to a refund.

I do not deal with X360's on any sort of basis, so I can't give a clear estimate as to how many of those banned consoles are being sold.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Banned Xbox 360 Consoles

in reply to st.louis67

"Once you purchase a "banned" console, you have to invest more money (Gold membership to play on Xbox Live, DLC (down-loadable content), etc.), with the possibilty of losing that investment."

FYI, you can't invest money in a banned console simply because it is banned, and therefore cannot connect to Live.

Please use plain text.