eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Coffin stands?

Can these possibly be coffin stands? A pal told me these things that look like ornate saw horses are Victorian coffin holders. I never even thought they might be that! Does anyone have a thought about these. They are wooden, with metal caps on the legs, fold toward the center about 2 feet high. Any idea of value? I have searched and found nothing that looks anything like them.
Any help will be greatly appreciated! Patti S

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Hi, it might just be a luggage rack instead of a coffin stand. I think those "sawhorses" would be a bit too weak for a heavy (occupied) coffin.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Grace Hummel
Perfume Bottle Identification & Appraisal Services Available.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
kathrynscollectibles
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
You can check ongoing and completed auctions for "Coffin Biers" but they don't look sturdy enough to hold a coffin.

Kathryn
“As a general rule, if you want to get at the truth — hear both sides and believe neither.” Josh Billings
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
I guess the photo does make them look flimsy. Actually they are very strong and sturdy. I googled and found something on Yahoo that looks very much like these. It's interesting that most of the older coffin stands look like they couldn't hold up a box of feathers. Thanks for any information you can supply. Patti S.
Please use plain text.
falcon*lady
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
I don't know anything about biers, but I have made some of my own furniture. If those are hardwood, and they look like they are, they'll be quite a bit sturdier than they'd probably appear to someone who'd used to modern, mass-produced furniture. (No offense, please. :smileyhappy: I hate the modern, mass-produced stuff.)
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Try doing a search under Mortican, undertaker, Funeral or Funeral Display Supplies, both vintage and modern

I must say that the pictures you have shown look more like a tray stand than a casket stand.

You need to do some research as to what you actually have based on what you see up close and personal.

Kees
Please use plain text.
3pugsvintage
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
I did some looking around with Google last night and found out alot more about funeral practices than I ever wanted to know.Technically,what these might be are 'coffin trestles',but it seems that there is alot of inaccurate use of terminology and that the best keyword would be 'bier'.Ebay has a whole section under Everything Else that has all the funeral stuff. Bet you didn't know it was there,I certainly didn't.
Now,all that said,you can't be certain that they were coffin trestles.I think I'd market them as Victorian Walnut(?)Trestles.They'd be great for setting up outdoor events,etc. And mention in the description that they might be coffin trestles and what a hoot it would be to tell your guests.You could really have fun with it.
Good Luck
Shirley
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
I did use them, years ago,with a big, heavy glass top for a coffee (not coffin) table until my grandkids came along. Then the corners on the glass top looked like they might leave a good sized divot in their little heads. Many thanks for the help and suggestions. I still am not sure how or where to list them. Since I don't see any values given in the forums, I assume it's against the rules or just not done. So, what does one do other than browse closed listings, hoping to see something similar?
Please use plain text.
3pugsvintage
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
This is one of those items that doesn't come along every day,or year. I don't think you're going to find a comparable sale.If any of us had a clue as to value we'd tell you.
Look around on the net and see if there's some site that specializes in vintage 'gothic' things.There are alot of seriously strange people who might just pay a handsome price for these things. All ya got to do is find the right nut!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
People are buying their coffins early these days. I believe Costco even sells coffins.

I would think anyone needing a coffin in their "alive" years, probably needs the accessory pieces.......like your coffin trestles.

Also, these stands would make a great base for flat wood & glass display case. I've seen stands such as yours used in museums for the display of historial handwritten documents.

These are still a base for a display case, whether it's a coffin or not.

Kees
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Dear Kees, Thanks for the first good laugh of the day. Should I advertise them as "Get your coffin accessories early...don't wait til you're dead!" Or maybe as a double duty accessory...coffee table, coffin table...two uses for the price of one.
Thanks again for the giggle. Patti S
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Most early items had multiple uses. The coffin stands were used as blanket holders at the end of the beds in good times. The wooden caskets did not weigh much. The last set I ran across had a casket on them filled with 1930's magazines. It was in a cellar accessable from a trap door in the living room floor found under the carpet while remodeling a Victorian farm house in Kentucky. In areas where embalming was not available it was a standard practice to keep a coffin available, usually in the loft of the barn, and show the body only a couple days in the parlor or on the kitchen table in poorer homesteads before burial.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Thanks for the info. Hard to imagine Grandma in the kitchen next to the sink...I still have not listed these things because I have no idea of how to price them. Guess I'm going to have to haul them down to a local antique dealer and see if they have a clue.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
look at auctions:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Thanks so much for the auction numbers! I checked them out. They are very different from what I have, but one of them looked to be about the same age. I appreciate the update. I don't know how you do it! Everytime I look for coffin or casket lifters or stands, I get paid ads directing me to CAKE stands...
Thanks again! Patti S
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Hi! I have a set that closely resembles your pieces. I've always concluded that's what they were for. I was told they were this too by others who are more of experts in the area than me. My assumption was they might of been for home mournings or a cheaper version of metal ones. They are heavey and very sturdy.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Forgot - they might of been used on small bodies. I have a portable, folding wicker and satin one for a small child; even has an anadjustable section to raise the head pillow. It was manufacutred by the Durfee Embalming Company. I think if they were for luggage they would have some sort of cross slats wether wooden or fabric to accomodate various sizes of luggage.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Your search terms are too specific. These have numerous names including casket couch.
Go to the box next to your search that is usually (all categories) and click on (everything else) which includes funeral supplies. Then enter only coffin as the search term. You will get usually only 2 pages to look at. The two I gave should give you a ball park value.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Once again, thanks to both of you! I'm off to try a new search! Patti S
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Coffin stands?

in reply to arcatazone
Well, I tried a broader search with 0 results. If anyone has a specific search criteria that turns up something, please let me know...I'm having no luck. Thanks
Please use plain text.