• Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Trust & Safety Brown Bag Lunch - Monday, June 6th

Topic:Trust & Safety Brown Bag Lunch

Host: Trust & Safety Staff
Date: Monday 06/06
Time: 13:00 - 14:00 PDT

Description: Do you have questions about Trust & Safety on eBay? On Monday, June 6 at 1.00 p.m. PDT, eBay's Trust & Safety team kicks off its monthly Brown Bag Lunch events. Hosted on the Trust & Safety discussion board, these online events are free to all members. Join us to learn about eBay's Trust & Safety initiatives, meet the team, and ask any general questions about Trust & Safety on eBay. (Due to privacy concerns, we won't be able to address specific account questions.) These sessions are dedicated entirely to addressing questions about eBay policies, issues around identity and account protection, and concerns about fraud.

Hope to see you there!!!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to deirdre@ebay.com
Hi everyone:

Welcome to our first Trust & Safety Brown Bag Lunch of 2005. We thought we'd try to host a monthly, hour-long session for a few months to hear your concerns, address your Trust and Safety questions and solicit input on how we should change our approach. If this format proves useful - we'll continue it.

Specifically, we hope to cover issues around policy, fraud, identity and account protection. There is no structure or theme. Instead, it's an open forum. As we anticipate a large number of participants and wish to respond to as many different members as we can, we ask that you restrict each post to one question.

I'm joined by several members of the Trust and Safety team who will respond to your questions. We look forward to hearing from you. So, let's get started.

Thanks,
Matt Halprin
Vice President, Global Marketplace Policy Management
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Just signing in. Hi. everyone. Glad to be here today.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello Matt. What are ebay's plans concerning Penny Buy it Now auctions? This is an abvious avenue for feedback-padding and many of us would like to see them banned, as was done with PDAs awhile ago!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

How come Ebay doesn't communicate with Square Trade when there are problems or suspension of an Ebay ID ???

Case #1 - I know of an ebay seller who defrauded someone. Eventually they were suspended. However, tracking down information on this person, I discovered that they are still a (valid) member of Square Trade.

Case #2 - I saw an new Ebay member who I believe was not new to Ebay, and may have been previously suspended. They have the "Square Trade" logo in their listings. The most recent Ebay ID said they joined Ebay on May 28th. However, they have been a Square Trade member since May 7th.

(and digging deeper, I found a completed listing that says "member NARU" and has the new ID and square trade icon mentioned)

And also another related question - -

One of the above persons had a foreign address in their "Square Trade" contact info. The zip code on their address said "12345" - which is not correct - exactly how are they verified ?? - and how reliable is this process ??

Or to sum it up - is there any plans to increase communication between Ebay and Square Trade (and Paypal), and are there any plans to verify identities better for all three ???
Brown bag lunch for T & S at Noon PST today. Be there.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

LOCATION MISREPRESENTATION

Why does eBay permit sellers to lie about the location of the item?

Please explain why eBay 'turns a blind eye' to those sellers (particularly those in China and Hong Kong) who misrepresent the item location.

Surely lying about the item location breaches the eBay user agreement.

Why does eBay refuse to take action to stop such abuse?

Steve
Please use plain text.
Community Member

How can a buyer be secure if the seller is using a Payment system that operates like Paypal but does not have a History one can identify as trustworthy? I checked on one and found it had only been incorporated a couple of months and was in the home town of the Seller making me wonder if the good buys on DVD's was a cover for reception of credit card numbers for non-legitimate uses.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi retrorick:

I'm glad you asked. Feedback manipulation has been increasing and we are hoping to launch an updated policy very soon (it's being drafted now). My personal opinion is that penny BIN's only serve either feedback padding or fee circumvention (or both). That said - we would like to avoid telling sellers how much they can charge for items. One idea we are considering is requiring sellers' BIN prices to exceed any listing fees (essentially requiring a monetary gain be in place for the seller. What do you think?

Thanks,
Matt
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello Matt & Team As a Brit I am concerned that the Chinese scammers are basing themselves on the UK site, Listing in GBP and even pretending to be based over here (England).

eBay UK are not interested in policing this, how are you going to clean it up?

Thanks
Steve
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Matt, that's what we've been saying all along. A large part of the community feels the minimum should be around a dollar as there are listing fees, pic-hosting fees, possible paypal fees, etc. It makes no sense to run an auction that costs one money, unless there are "darker" purposes afoot.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi grendeleyes:

That sounds suspicious. For buyers to be secure, eBay recommends buyers purchase from sellers who are eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection (seller has 50 feedback and 98%+). Then, the buyer should pay with PayPal. This way, the buyer is protected up to $1,000.

Thanks,
Matt
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Please use plain text.
clewis3888
Community Member

And still the CI is not working. Laura Mathers contacted me after I brought it to Rob C's attention...she emailed me acknowledging the problem and said she would get back to me.....

That was on May 27th, since then I have heard nothing.

So when will this important function....function??:smileyindifferent:
*****NEED MORE DUCT TAPE*****
If you think Healthcare is expensive now.....Just wait until its FREE!
XXXXXXXXXXX
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Regarding Retroricks question:

As far as the feedback padding/purchasing, there is one seller in particular. He is charging .89 USD for the "sound of his car", so he would be making a profit. If you look at the purchases, at least 70 percent of the purchasers are NARU, and have scammed some Ebayer's to become NARU.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi Caped:

Are you sure we shouldn't count this question? :smileyhappy:

I'd be happy to have folks from Trust & Safety follow up on any question we don't address in today's forum.

Thanks,

Matt
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Saks31122 --

I agree with you, item location misrepresentation is NOT ok. eBay does not permit sellers to lie about the location of an item… we regard it as a form of item misrepresentation. We are currently working to adopt globally an approach for dealing with this problem that was tested previously in our Australian market. When we have this implemented for other sites, we'll be able to track seller misrepresentation of item location, and act to stop this form of abuse.

-- Steve
Please use plain text.
Community Member

eBay promotes itself as a venue bringing buyers and sellers together. It expects buyers and sellers to investigate each other, however, when buyers are harmed by unreputable sellers, eBay does very little to help remedy the situation. New buyers do not separate eBay from a transaction gone bad, and in most instances never return to eBay to buy from honest sellers. How is eBay going to address this?

Why does eBay not require all buyers and sellers to confirm their identities with a credit card or valid bank account? I would not be surprised if unscrupulous sellers rip off buyers for a month, and then disappear not paying their eBay fees either.

What is going to be done about buyers that buy penny auction items in order to build feedback, and then turn around and sell high dollar items which they never intend to ship, further abusing honest buyers? There is one prevalent thread on this board regarding a similar situation, and the eBayer that bought his feedback with penny BINs has now made his feedback private, and is selling a high dollar item. An educated buyer won't buy from this person, but a novice very well may place a bid and get ripped off. No protection of PayPal here for the buyer as the seller is in a country not serviced by PayPal.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Trust & Safety Brown Bag Lunch - Monday, June 6th

Hi Caped (Purple or Orange)
I naturally assumed the T&S team would have read the BBL questions first and been prepared with the answers.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Trust & Safety Brown Bag Lunch - Monday, June 6th

pete-and-repeat posted:
“How come Ebay doesn't communicate with Square Trade when there are problems or suspension of an Ebay ID ???”

Thanks for the question, pete-and-repeat… I’ve seen confusion about this out there on the boards.

SquareTrade is a wholly separate company from eBay. Every SquareTrade member has a relationship with SquareTrade that is completely distinct from their relationship with eBay, with a separate login and separate terms and conditions.

This separate relationship is intentional, as it makes sense for any organization that will play a dispute resolution or mediation role to be separated from the eBay marketplace so that they can remain neutral and impartial.

eBay has very strict privacy rules that protect member information and preclude us from sharing private information with other sites. Because of this separation it is very unlikely that we would proactively share information with SquareTrade to verify identities on their site.

However, from my personal experience working with SquareTrade I know they take their role as a trust in transactions company very seriously, and they will act quickly to respond to any concern raised. If you have a concern you should forward it to them and I’d bet it will be addressed quickly. In addition, SquareTrade does have access to the public information about users on eBay, so they can probably see when a user is NARUed and update their information accordingly.

Let me know if you have any further questions on this topic. Thanks.

Colin
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi gb1887:

We are definitely aware of Chinese sellers perpetrating fraud or counterfeits on non-China sites. It's a big problem and we are moving resources to address it. I know this is frustrating. Please know we're on it.

Thanks,
Matt
Please use plain text.