eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

How much should I charge to sell items for people?

I have been reading everything about trading assistants and cannot find anything about much to charge for selling items. Should I charge a flat fee or a percentage of the sale price?
Please use plain text.
ezadfwd
Community Member

Re: How much should I charge to sell items for people?

in reply to ngraphicharmony
I think you will find that most TA's charge a percentage of the sale price. Most charge on a sliding scale - the more IT sells for, the lower the percentage. Also some will also add eBay and PayPal fees.
EZlogoSmall
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Search commissions on this board and you will find the answer to this question a zillion times along with tons of valuable tips and tricks of the trade. ;-)
>> I LOVE COOKING WITH WINE<<
Sometimes I even put it in the food....Sometimes. :smileywink:
Karen in SC :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

We used to charge 35% and raised it to 38%. We pay all the fees out of that. Soon we are going to go to 48%. (family and friends included). Also the HE** w/ sliding scale, if its worth selling and you have the know how, experience and equipment to list the items you deserve a profit.

Even at 48%, in my opinion if the items are something that you know well or have done your research on you are way better off to purchase outright and sell when the market is right and when you feel like doing it.

When you agree to purchase entire lots of items you should be able to purchase at 10 to 30 cents on the dollar. We have done it many times and paid from $100 to over $10,000 and come out well each time.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Most experienced TAs charge 50%
Please use plain text.
e-baron1
Community Member

We are at 30% plus all website (ebay) and settlement (paypal) fees. with a 15.99 minimum per lot.

Cars, Boats and items that require title transfer are on a different schedule.

You want at least a $50.00 sale per lot for consignment . $100.00 is better. If the item will sell for less than that, you are better off buying from the consignor. Offer them wholesale.

Col. John Chrusciel Jr.
Purveyor of Needful Things

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to find a trading assistant to sell some great things for me as I am ill and bedridden. But I could not find an answer as to what to expect as a fair fee I would be charged to keep in mind when choosing someone. Then I saw this question and read the answers.
I was kind of shocked. It sounded like the answers were all about how to take as much advantage of the person you are selling for as possible! "Tricks,Tips, How not to have to claim as income, charge the consignee HALF of what you got as fees" ??!! Quite an eye opener. All these things are things I bought on ebay in the first place, so I am familiar with tax and shipping and markup, etc. But 50%!!??
Do all Trading Assistants operate this way?
Please use plain text.
flknr99
Community Member

I don't think you understood the comments. No tricks. We all do claim our fees and our expenses. Its not as easy as you think.
We are all different. I charge less since I do so much of my own. Some rely 100% on clients. We are charging for our time and experience.
We do all the work, and slide you a check.
Ann
-
Huckleberry 2002-2011
Please use plain text.
Community Member

adrienne,

While you have seen this thread, which we don't try to hide, it's not really a thread that is for your eyes as a potential consignor. Fact is, is that we tend to collaborate together here on these threads, and we talk shop, it's the insider scoop of how to improve, what needs to be changed, and how to handle situations and occurrences. Of course you think 50% is high and you are appalled by it, because all you see is what we are taking from you, but you have not looked at it in terms of what a TA can give to you. I bet you right now if I shot back at you and demanded you to tell me what you get for your 50%, you'd just stammer something like "I dunno guy, your gonna sell my stuff on ebay". Wow, I don't think I'd have 50% value for the services either. FAct is, is that you have not been educated on the process of ebay selling, you have been self taught in buying, but not selling and (no disrespect meant) you don't have the first idea of what goes into it. You have no idea of the daily involvements that we have, good, bad or otherwise, all the riffraff we get from ebay, paypal, and customers that try to get something for nothing. You are unaware of how much time goes into the successful sale of an item placed on ebay. You are naive to all of the trials and tribulation that we face daily, how we walk on eggshells for buyers, trying to survive, keep food on the table, run a good business and grow and prosper, all the while having buyers run your good name through the mud with b.s. feedback and also giving us low dsr scores.

This business is a professional service. What do you pay for other professional services, your lawyer, your accountant, your dentist, your plumber, your personal trainer at the local gym, your mechanic? Most times it's a range probably from $60 to $80 on the low end for the trainer or mechanic, and as high as $200+ for a lawyer. So, we charge 50%, so what? What commodity do you have that is worthy to sell and what will it sell for? Oh you have 2 hummels that will sell for $100 each, ok well we are going to take about an hour per item and essentially charge you $50 per item. From that we have fees to ebay, paypal, overhead, trying to make profit, we have to photo, list, manage, describe, process payments, stave off stupid questions, deal with complaining buyers, ship, deal with buyers that ask you for tracking and shipping info 3 more times, close out and reconcile numbers, deal with buyers that nitpick the item and tell you the tm on said hummel is faded, and what are we going to do about it, deal with the same buyer saying "I'd like a prompt reply and resolution or I'll be forced to leave appropriate feedback", we typically deal with said terrorist and eat some nominal refund, or take our time dealing with him, which is not helping the bottom line anyway, then after all said and done behind the scenes, we cut you a check and just smile and bear it... It sucks, we have customers that literally toy with and hang over our head our reputation and try to get something for nothing and we have big brother paypal that in a nano second will swipe funds from us, and will force implementation of policies that are always against us as the seller and that favor the buyer. WE get no appreciation for what we do, and people could care less. We get all of the headaches and liability of a big box retail store, but yet we don't do any kind of volume or sales that resemble a big box store. I think of all these things, and I too go "Whoa, 50%???!!!" Yes damnit, 50%, and sometimes more, and sometimes less.... Jason.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to find a trading assistant to sell some great things for me as I am ill and bedridden. But I could not find an answer as to what to expect as a fair fee I would be charged to keep in mind when choosing someone. Then I saw this question and read the answers.
I was kind of shocked. It sounded like the answers were all about how to take as much advantage of the person you are selling for as possible! "Tricks,Tips, How not to have to claim as income, charge the consignee HALF of what you got as fees" ??!! Quite an eye opener. All these things are things I bought on ebay in the first place, so I am familiar with tax and shipping and markup, etc. But 50%!!??
Do all Trading Assistants operate this way?

Not being a "trading assistant" myself I have way of knowing if "all Trading Assistants operate this way." However, as the owner of a licensed auction business I don't see that there is any evidence of those that posted here are trying to take advantage of a seller.

I would advise you to read and understand exactly the terms under which you are contracting them to act as your agent. Check that they have the proper licensing if one is required in your state. By all means, if you aren't comfortable with the TA for any reason don't sign the contract for them to represent you.
"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

50% ? Think that's too high ?
Call any consignment shop in your town and ask how much they charge.
I'll bet you it's a MINIMUM of 50%, some charge MORE... PLUS... some of them charge a fee upfront.
I notice that ALL of your feedback is a result of being a BUYER.
Consequently you have no concept of what goes into getting an item listed on eBay.
It's time consuming, and time is money.
PLUS...the investment we have in equipment, such as; camera's, scales, bubble wrap, wrapping paper, tape, etc. AND, in some cases storage space rental, or,[/i] a brick and mortar building.
I haven't timed it to the minute, but I estimate by the time I do research, write the description, headline, take the photo's, etc. it's at least an hour or so.
THEN monitoring the listing, answering questions, IF it sells wrapping it so it doesn't arrive DOA, PLUS the trip to the Post Office. (GAS now at $2.69 per gallon)
Now the FUN part, waiting to see if the item arrives safely and ON TIME, and no complaints to PayPal or eBay so there won't be a hold up on the funds.
So..adriennem6343...whatcha think NOW ?
IF you were to act as a T/A for people...how much would you charge ?
Hmmm ??
I hate to be so lengthy, but you sound like the people coming into my shop asking 'How Much'...OHHH...Too Much...X-( and they tick me off too...
Don
B-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

adriennem6343, your post reminds me of the saying, "don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes." You obviously misread the past post on this board or misunderstood them.
Please use plain text.
charmlinda
Community Member

This business is a professional service. What do you pay for other professional services, your lawyer, your accountant, your dentist, your plumber,

Spot on!

Had to call a plumber today. House is backed up. I know when I hear the bubbles in the lower toilet when upstairs shower is on we are in for trouble.

Cost me $300 for a plumber to come out on Sunday. He did not need to diagnose as we have this every 3 years as we get lazy with the rootkill. I just pointed. Roots in the pipes just before the street clogged up with paper & crap.

He got his handy dandy industrial snake out, wipped it down the outside tube. Turned it on and let it do its job. Took all of 35 minutes total. Mostly to write up my bill!

I dont make that kind of money no matter how hard I work!

And dont get me started on what ebay is making for doing next to nothin!
Michael J...

If you're talking, you're not listening....If you're not listening, you're not learning.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

adriennem6343, just to give you a better idea. If you booked us to handle the auction sale of your property, we would get 15% buyers premium plus 15% commission. You would be responsible for the advertising budget up front unless we agreed to front the advertising in which case it would be deducted from the receipts.

Of course, all merchandise would be sold "AS IS, WHERE IS" so there would be no shipping & handling other than your cost to remove any goods that go unsold.

Naturally, we collect sales tax for the state.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

WOW, 15% is darned good. At a couple of auction houses in our area the consignor pays 30% if you bring it to the auction facility and 45% is they pick it up PLUS the buyer's premium of 15%. At one you have to "rent" a table to put your items on whether your stuff sells for $5.00 for the whole lot on the table or is pieced out and brings a good price.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I think adriennem6343 disappeared from the conversation.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

WOW, 15% is darned good. At a couple of auction houses in our area the consignor pays 30% if you bring it to the auction facility and 45% is they pick it up PLUS the buyer's premium of 15%. At one you have to "rent" a table to put your items on whether your stuff sells for $5.00 for the whole lot on the table or is pieced out and brings a good price.

Humm! Been a while since I've adjusted my commission structure. Maybe I need to update a bit. ;-)
Please use plain text.
charmlinda
Community Member

We charge nothing and pay all fees. How do we make money....Volume!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. ok .....back to work.
Michael J...

If you're talking, you're not listening....If you're not listening, you're not learning.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

We charge nothing and pay all fees. How do we make money....Volume! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ok .....back to work. :^O That WAS a good one...THANKS I needed a laugh too Michael.
Please use plain text.
flknr99
Community Member

LMAO.Michael!!!
Glad the troll got run off. Ann
-
Huckleberry 2002-2011
Please use plain text.