cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay has totally screwed up the Model Railroading Category. Please start complaining here!

ebay has totally screwed up the Model Railroad Category. It is important you start complaining here and also calling them, they are out of control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: ebay has totally screwed up the Model Railroading Category. Please start complaining here!

Hey Griff, This is Wood, the guy that posted the question! Your a true ebay yes man and lier! All Model Train sellers are hurting and ebay is in denial and loosing money because of these recent changes! You say these changes were necessary to ebays survival and expect us to believe it? Your the mental midget, not us! The stats are all there for us to see!

Message 61 of 73
latest reply

Re: ebay has totally screwed up the Model Railroading Category. Please start complaining here!

I totaly agree,EBay has screwed up the model train category.I think we all go to JUST TRAINS,they have it together.

Message 62 of 73
latest reply

Griff stated (per his data team) "there has been no discernible decrease in sales in this category overall"

After noting the listed items, completed and sold listings for the last 30 days, there appears to be a 9.53% decrease in the number of "sold listings" in the HO train category. Nearly a 10% drop in only 30 days seems to be a pretty discernible figure.

Message 63 of 73
latest reply

Why is this Toplic listed as "Solved"?

Message 64 of 73
latest reply

Would love to hear from other sellers! My sales for May where over $5000 in Modelrailroading Categories before ebay made the devastating changes to that group on June 2nd. My sales from that date to July 2nd went down to about $1000, and this month so far as the 29th July my sales have not even reached $500.  So the question is how have the changes effected you other sellers out there?

Message 65 of 73
latest reply

I have responded to this post before.  I think all you have to do is read the posts from other ebay sellers, they all say the same thing.. sales are DOWN.  No matter what you say to ebay, and I have called them many times, they deny there is a problem... or the sales rep will play dumb and state they do not know of any changes.  My spin on the entire thing... with ebay adding NEW categories in the technology area, I do not believe their system can handle all of the updates.  In order to handle all of the NEW categories ebay have simply dumbed down the train boards with all gauges and years of production having identical sub categories and everything put into general categories.  Sort of like going to a grocery store and having all of the items scattered about and you have to look for eggs in the candy department or deli meats in the produce isle.  When you look at the total listing in the train sections and compare them with the computer.. phone section... our beloved trains are a  minor player.  I guess ebay does not care about the $800-$1000.00 a month I pay them in feels... or at least I used to.. when trains really sold on ebay.

Message 66 of 73
latest reply

My sales are down 75% overall, from one year ago.

The little buyers have increasingly left this site altogether, and to compound the problem, the little sellers have less visibility than ever.

What ebay would like to see, essentially, is 1 or two big sellers for every 300 or 400 little sellers. And sadly, "little seller" these days means those with feedback in the thousands, whereas it used to be feedback in the hundreds. Now, you gotta have TENS of thousands of feedback to escape the depravity of visibility that ebay puts upon this category in general.

I have never seen so many items not selling in a single sub- category within "toys and hobbies", and so many that do sell in this sub-category appear these days to be selling for free.

Everyone is different, no one solution will work for everyone or even anyone. Ebay would rather give this marketplace over to China entirely, where more model trains are made than anywhere else, anyway.

Plastic scale models seems to have largely survived the shake-up, much more lucrative to be in that product line these days, than model RR.
Message 67 of 73
latest reply

Here is a chart showing the trend of actual "sold listings" in the HO train category since mid June 2015. 

Looks like a pretty consistant downward trend.

Ebay sold listing chart.jpg

Message 68 of 73
latest reply

Hey everyone. Just came back today to see if Ebay got there sanity back. Looks like they haven't and probably won't. Former Ebay buyer that can't find a darn thing in S Scale or Gauge category the way I used to before the fiasco in June. Looks like Ebay is trying to eliminate the Model Railroad section by combining most things into 1 or 2 categories. Hate to look thru 10,000 listings to find what I want. Could be that Ebay wanted to make the buyers so frustrated looking for something that we would just fade away and Model Railroading would dry up and they would be free of it eventually. Maybe someone could start another website of auctioning and somehow use the old Ebay program which was the best as far as I am concerned. I know I would go to it immediately instead of Ebay. This change was a complete slap in the face to every seller and buyer of Model Railroading items and they still act as though nothing has changed. Well, said my piece again, syonara to you all and good luck.

Message 69 of 73
latest reply

Doubt this will make you feel any better folks but it's ALL of eBay. I shop for turquoise jewelry, antique beads, vintage sci fi books, and elephant collectibles. Great place to find that special gift for family.  2/3rds of the jewelry is marketed from China(well, saves me having to figure out where it was made) and even if I choose from US only I still get Chinese. Search for a sci fi author and get 200,000 items?!!? If first name is Mike I get every Mike there is. Thank Goddess for unusual names.  And elephants! why eel skin wallets in elephants???  ..... there WAS the elephant foot umbrella stand.... eeew.

Live long and prosper   (off eBay)

Message 70 of 73
latest reply

Vintage clothing has been affected in the same way.  They've taken the different categories for different eras out completely.

As a buyer, this is unworkable for me.  I have no idea what they were thinking.

Message 71 of 73
latest reply

Message 72 of 73
latest reply

Thats even if you get a English speaking rep.

Message 73 of 73
latest reply