cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I have a # 1 Ponytail Barbie can anyone help identify and value?

I think I have a #1 Vintage 1960's Ponytail Barbie by Mattel.  Can anyone confirm, help identify or assist with value?IMG_4610.JPGIMG_4613.JPGIMG_4606.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You've got one of the first ponytail Barbies but not the #1. The #1 has no color in the iris.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I can't read the details of the markings on her.  If you go to this page, http://dollreference.com/barbie1.html, you can identify which # Barbie you have. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Hello,

Thank you I think that helps.  I think I was looking at another reference that pointed me in another direction.  

I think she is a #5 or 6, still hard to tell.  The back says 

Barbie (R)

Pats Pend

(C) MCMLVIII

BY

MATTEL

INC

Her hair is fairly soft, but that could be from time.  It does look like she had a couple holes for earings.  The eyes are still throwing me off figuring out if she is a 5 or 6.

Any other help greatly appreciated.

Best,

Barry

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes, I agree. I think your Barbie is a #5 or #6.  Like the reference says, some  #5s still had the softer hair.  I don't know what the value difference is between a #5 and #6.  People buy these vintage Barbies, switch their heads/bodies, repaint them, re-root their hair, etc. In fact, kids who were playing with their Barbies would switch heads and bodies themselves. Personally, as a doll collector, I would favor your Barbie over one that has been all re-done, particularly as some sellers don't know the doll has been "to the spa" or some are unscrupulous and know, but don't disclose.  If you were to list that doll, you could say that she is either a #5 or #6, based on the markings, and that she is in played-with but un-restored condition. Add lots of pictures. As for the earring holes: many Barbies ended up with "green ear" from the posts of the earrings being left in for decades, and that "green ear" can spread to the doll's face.  Earrings are easy to come by but fixing "green ear" is much harder. Your doll's eyes look as they should: the irises are blue. It is a nice doll. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply