cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Vintage Jointed German Plastic Horse

Hello,

I recently purchased a large lot of antique and very vintage doll house items and this horse was with it.  I have researched everywhere online, but cannot find anything.  It's a really great item.  It hard plastic and has a logo with "Germany" underneath it.  It is jointed at the legs.  The best part is the neck and head.  It has very realistic movement.  The head can go up and down and side to side.  The head even jutts out if you tug on the reins.  Very well made!  I believe the mane and tail are mohair.  The horse is about 9 1/2" long and stands 6 1/2" tall (from top of head to bottom).  If anyone could identify the name of the horse or knows the maker's mark I would be so grateful!  Thank you so much for looking at my post! 🙂

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right!" ~ Henry Ford
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Help With Vintage Jointed German Plastic Horse

I have the same horse with a wind up wagon that pushes horse and he walks, would like to no more about item

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I had one when I was a child.  It came with a wagon and long reins and when you pulled the reins friction made the horse walk.  Unforuntately I no longer have that one but a while ago I bought one that had a blanket like yours but no wagon.  My orignal one was bought in 1960 from Hudsons in Detroit.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

this is the fifth horse that came on the board

its amazing we stil can't come with a company.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Spoiler
Thank you all so much for your help!!  I'm so sorry it took forever and forever to come back and reply and thank you all!  Even though we didn't come up with a company, the info was still very helpful! 🙂
"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right!" ~ Henry Ford
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you all so much for your help!! I'm so sorry it took forever and forever to come back and reply and thank you all! Even though we didn't come up with a company, the info was still very helpful! 🙂

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I have a pair of these. They are from Germany and sold at FAO Schwartz (perhaps other stores too).  I have a gray horse and a tan horse. Each has a nice bridle and reins, and a plaid horse blanket, very well made with snaps -- one horse has a saddle, though I do not know if it is original. It is made of a leather or suede material.

They are very cleverly and elaborately constructed to move like horses, especially through the head and neck. Yes, you can see the "joints" -- like a ball jointed doll -- but the movement is charming and very real looking -- still photos don't do this justice. They also have sweet, expressive faces.

The manes and tails are of a scratchy material that feels like mohair. I see both horses in a pair often, so perhaps they were sold as a set? Mine also came with an extra bridle (but not reins) and plastic & metal feed bucket marked "Germany" on the bottom. 

I figure them for being made in the 1960s or so....FAO Schwartz often had unusual toys -- from Europe or manufactured especially for their stores. If there is a source online of their Christmas catalogues, it might be possible to find pictures and descriptions of these unusual toy horses!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply