cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Turbo Lister status?

I've been on hiatus for a few months and I know that Turbo Lister is no longer downloadable.  I already have it on my computer and have used it for years and really don't look forward to changing.  Can I still use Turbo Lister?  Will it still update when I upload listings? 

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@toystorage

Turbo still works as welll as it ever did (lol). And it is still supported until June 2017.

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

I got this from a Ebay rep.

You can find it here - http://download.ebay.com/turbo_lister2/TurboListerInstall.htm

Make sure to download the US version.

eBay will discontinue support for Turbo Lister after June 2017

I sure am going to miss it

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

@toystorage

Turbo still works as welll as it ever did (lol). And it is still supported until June 2017.

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 3 of 45
latest reply

what about AFTER june 17?? then what do we do? there is nothig free to replace it? I already dont make enough on ebay to afford additional fees. I.. and many others... will probably have to quit selling.

i

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

Be patient. eBay should announce changes to SellerHub in this Spring Update to replace most of Turbo's features.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

I agree with you 100%.  I have been selling for 15 years.  If they make it more expensive and/or more difficult they will lose me. 

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

@dollybeauty wrote:

Be patient. eBay should announce changes to SellerHub in this Spring Update to replace most of Turbo's features.

If they go with the File Exchange option then I'm done because I'd rather give birth to another baby than deal with spreadsheets.

I did try one listing using the selling option in Seller Hub. Even with having a template already prepared it took me twice as long to do it as doing it in Turbo Lister. After doing some checking I believe my DSL provider is throttling my connection speed at various times during the day and there is nothing I can do about that.

I wanted to check out Wonder Lister but when I goggled them and their info and link came up McAfee didn't give it a green checkmark ... not sure what was up with that.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

But..But..Turbolister is a "spreadsheet". Anyway, we have no way to know what eBay has in mind, untill they roll it out. As with TL, there will be some learning curve involved. I have resisted checking out WL because I want to try the new features first.

My only real concern is how they intend to use the "cloud" to access listings. Members like yourself, on DSL connections, may not be as happy with this as you have been with TL.

I checked WL's site. I do not think you need to worry about checking WL out. There seems to be no issues. They probably just use javascript in some way that you Virus package disagrees with.

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

@dollybeauty wrote:

But..But..Turbolister is a "spreadsheet". Anyway, we have no way to know what eBay has in mind, untill they roll it out. As with TL, there will be some learning curve involved. I have resisted checking out WL because I want to try the new features first.

My only real concern is how they intend to use the "cloud" to access listings. Members like yourself, on DSL connections, may not be as happy with this as you have been with TL.

I checked WL's site. I do not think you need to worry about checking WL out. There seems to be no issues. They probably just use javascript in some way that you Virus package disagrees with.

LOL. I don't view it as a spreadsheet ... I view it more as a database program. I work well with database programs but spreadsheets not so much. Things in columns that spread all across my page just drive my brain crazy and it all just melts into one big jumble of information.

Have you heard if TL will be alive until the end of June or is June 1 the date on its death certificate? I believe they are no longer updating it as I haven't seen a program update in some time.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

No. I have no info at this time. The 2017 Spring Update may shed more light. I just do not know.

I hope that @twnpopcards take on the new functions (post 17 in https://community.ebay.com/t5/Tools-Apps/TURBO-LISTER/td-p/26587685/jump-to/first-unread-message) is not correct. This is not offline functionality such as we have experienced with TL.  This would make listing on eBay difficult for MANY. Unfortunately, they may be correct. We will have to just wait to see what eBay does to know for sure.

You said, "it all just melts into one big jumble of information." I understand. For me, I see data differently than some. It is much easier for me to see what is going on if I see that jumble of information. For others a nice Graphical User Interface (GUI or Goo-ee) helps them to visualize the information. TL WL and SixBit are examples of GUIs. To me they are just spreadsheets, even though I know there is a DB behind them.

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

I said, "To me they are just spreadsheets, even though I know there is a DB behind them." To clarify...Spreadsheets .. with bells and whistles and horns and strings. None of which I need.
Message 11 of 45
latest reply

@dollybeauty wrote:

No. I have no info at this time. The 2017 Spring Update may shed more light. I just do not know.

I hope that @twnpopcards take on the new functions (post 17 in https://community.ebay.com/t5/Tools-Apps/TURBO-LISTER/td-p/26587685/jump-to/first-unread-message) is not correct. This is not offline functionality such as we have experienced with TL.  This would make listing on eBay difficult for MANY. Unfortunately, they may be correct. We will have to just wait to see what eBay does to know for sure.

You said, "it all just melts into one big jumble of information." I understand. For me, I see data differently than some. It is much easier for me to see what is going on if I see that jumble of information. For others a nice Graphical User Interface (GUI or Goo-ee) helps them to visualize the information. TL WL and SixBit are examples of GUIs. To me they are just spreadsheets, even though I know there is a DB behind them.

@dollybeauty

If I remember where I read it correctly this information about not being offline functionality was posted in the discussion boards that were open for 2 days about  the 2016 Fall Seller Update.  The blue stated then that the new listing feature that would replace T/L would require that all the items be stored online not on a persons hard drive and that Ebay would keep them accessible for longer than the current 90 days.  The insinuation was that it would be just like it is now except everything would have to be stored in the Seller Hub, not on your personal hard drive, but there never was a commitment as to how long Ebay would maintain this commitment.  This is also why they changed the wording of the UA so that they are allowed to utilize anything that is uploaded into Ebays site including Intellectual Property in any way they wish to, including selling the information.  

The only 2 programs that I am aware of that currently offer the offline functionality are WonderLister and SixBit, neither of which are free.  Many people have commented that they would be willing to pay for being able to continue using T/L but I don't believe it will continue to be functional with the new Seller Hub once everything is converted.  Also one other poster said that when they spoke to T/L staff  a couple of days ago that Ebay wants everything to be stored in the Cloud going forward.

Ebay did state that they would keep T/L available until there was an equivalent program within Seller Hub, but what EBay considers equivalent and what those that use T/L consider equivalent will probably have a wide gap between them.

David

TWnpopcards

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

I see what you are saying. I do not disagree with you, although I can not say the same for eBay.

Using the "cloud" or eBay servers (eBay's cloud), is not the same as offline functionality, by definition. This penalizes members who use DSL or hotspots. We nust pay for data transmission. Any additional data over our allowances is quite expensive.

I paid an additional $180 dollars last month because Microsoft insists on upgrading a system that I do not want upgraded and that has components that can not be upgraded. They messed up my system with the Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 and now think that they have the right to continue messing up this system. And now my system will not revert to Win 7. (I think I'm starting to tear up. Anyone got a hankie?)

To this member, eBay is doing the same thing.

I realize, maybe more than most, what it would cost eBay to truely upgrade the present TL package. Since TL uses Berkleydb (rights purchased by Oracle) as a database engine, and the need for better communication components (MicroSoft again!) Any true upgrade to that package would require licensing fees that I am sure eBay does not wish to pay (for a free product). (IMO, I would prefer to pay eBay a fee to use an offline tool that is created and supported by eBay, as opposed to an third party product)

Many of us wish custom functionality that we can not get from a third party tool or even a cloud based eBay tool. I, and others, can use MySQL or Access to create our own dbs, that do what we wish.

However, there are a great many other members who do not share this ability. These members will have difficulty with this new "functionality".

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

@dollybeauty

Those working at Ebay have no clue what a large majority of their customers go through just to be able to log onto Ebay and buy or sell.  It doesn't cost them any money to log in or use the internet and i am sure they all have the fastest connections possible where many of those I have talked to have less than 10 mps connection speed.  

They are already struggling to deal with ebay as it is the slowest program i have ever loaded or used (i even have adblock on and pop ups blocked).  I have the second fastest internet speed offered by my provider (200+ mps) and could not imagine trying to work on Ebay with anything any slower let alone now have to list all of my items on this listing tool that sits there with the ever spinning circle even at the high speed connection I am using.  That is another reason I say that ebay has no clue how much business this decision is going to cost them.  I am sure it will wind up being much more than the cost of any licensing issue that they want to avoid having to deal with.  But nobody ever said that TPTB at Ebay had common sense and looked at all the information before making their decisions.

Personally I believe that forcing USA sellers to use the Hub completely in June 2017 is going to be nothing short of a disaster and not the big win splash that Ebay is hoping for with Wall Street because so many sellers will just up and leave and take their buying dollars with them.  Ebay has already had to deal with this issue during JD's days of quickly showing sellers, large and small the door with the ridiculous defect system, as nobody thought to consider all the buying revenue that went with them.  Why would a seller want to continue buying on Ebay when they were unceremoniously shown the door.  I'm certain they also shared this information with family and friends so once again Ebay lost buying revenue and then sits and wonders why their growth it even lower than Etsy's.  Based on their current emails going out to sellers warning us about not selling items outside of Ebay I am guessing that is now the lead excuse to the Board as to why revenues continue to stall below other sites growth.

I feel for you with the Microsoft issue which is why i refused to upgrade from win 7 when they kept offering the Win 10 for free.  In fact when I purchased this computer in September i asked the person putting it together for me if I could have win 7 installed instead of win 10 and he said no problem as that is what he had been continuing to recommend to his customers due to all the glitches in Win 10.  He advised waiting until they have them all worked out before installing it, so I am glad I stayed with what I had.

Good luck with whatever you wind up using.  I would willingly pay a fee to be able to use T/L going forward but I don't think its compatible with sellers Hub and I don't think the Ebay programmers who do not work at Turbo Lister have a clue how to make it work with Sellers Hub, which is why I expect this new program to be a very poor imitation of T/L.  I hope that ebay proves me wrong, but I wouldn't lay any money on it even with million to one odds:(

David

Twnpopcards

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

@twnpopcards @dollybeauty

I do not believe eBay will not have functionality what most would consider similar to Turbo Lister. Most will be online in the cloud. Offline will be spreadsheet style CSV downloads for backup since CSV is the de facto standard for interchangeably between programs and there is no user program maintenance for eBay. 

Maintaining a program like Turbo Lister is a nightmare. Windows changes constantly by Microsoft and monthly Microsoft security fixes may break TL. eBay most likely did a cost analysis of maintaining TL versus sellers lost and decided it was more cost effective to drop the program.

eBay also dropped there paid for program Blackthorne a couple of years ago. Hindsight seems to show that eBay wants to get out of maintaining windows based offline programs.

Message 15 of 45
latest reply