cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing Shipping Labels eBay app VS browser - Coding problem?

Here's my question: If I can view / download and print a label in the right size on an ebay page using a browser, after first printing it on the eBay app, then why can't the eBay website show other labels in the proper size?

I have an ongoing problem with printing shipping labels, and I accidentally found out something interesting a few days ago, which, I think, proves that its not something I am doing wrong, and that proves that it is something that can be fixed on eBay’s end - I believe it could be a coding problem that could be easily fixed. I hope that what I found can help someone figure this out, so that others won't have this same problem, and so that I won't have to keep going back & forth using the eBay app and chrome to do my work on eBay.

My problem was that the shipping labels not only looked too small on my screen, but downloaded and printed too small - using android tablet & phone chrome browser. I prefer to do all of my eBay work on my browser, not using the eBay app, but I started using the eBay app for printing shipping labels because it's the only way I could get them to print at the proper size.

I posted about it here on the community, and got a lot of replies, and I tried a lot of different ways to overcome it but never did - you can see my original post here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Downloaded-Saved-pdf-shipping-label-too-small-using-A...

I wish I would have took screenshot when this happened, but I was very busy, and wI'll when I print a shipping label tomorrow, and add it as a reply to this post.

Here's what happened:

I had seven items to ship, so I went to the eBay app to create & print labels. (I do not print right away because I have to email them to be printed on a printer in the office where I live,  I download them to my Google Drive then email & print later).

I had only downloaded one shipping label, and for some reason I thought I would check to see if the problem had been fixed, so I decided to try to reprint that same label from eBay using my chrome browser - I was very happy to see a screen that looked very different when I went to reprint the label - the page looked different that it normally does, when I try to print from a browser, the label viewed at the proper size! I thought to myself, Finally, it's fixed, and now I can print from my browser.

So, on chrome, I went to print my next shipping label, but the page did not look the same as the one I just seen, it was back to the one I was used to seeing, and I was not able to view or download the label at the proper size - I tried everything I could think of as I had in the past - I could not get the label to print or show at the right size, it was way too small. And one view of the label would not show the entire label, it cut off part of the USPS bar code.

So for that label that I tried to print using my browser, I had to save it as a pdf, then open it with a photo editor, resize, save back to a pdf to make it print properly.

Here's my question: If I can view / download and print a label in the right size on an ebay page using a browser, after first printing it on the eBay app, then why can't the eBay website show other labels in the proper size?

I will take screenshots tomorrow when I print a label and add it as a reply to this post.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

In other words, why and how can the eBay shipping label page, viewed on my browser, show a label at the proper size (after originally being printed on the ebay app), but it cannot show a label at proper size that has not yet been printed?

I thought that if the eBay page can let me view, download, and print a shipping label that is a reprint, why can't it show my other, unprinted labels at the correct size?

What I found, in my opinion, is proof that the way ebay labels are shown on a browser are different than the labels shown on the ebay app, and that it IS possible for the label to show & print correctly on ebay.com using a browser, so why should I have to use the app to make them print correctly? I was very surprised to see that label at the correct size on Chrome.

I wonder if this is something that can be fixed on ebay, or if it has something to do with android or chrome? From what I understand about coding, it leads me to believe that it's on ebay's end.

Does anyone here use their android tablet or phone, with a browser, to print shipping labels?
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Here are 2 screenshots: 

One is the "different" page I seen on eBay, using Chrome browser, where it let me view the label at correct size after clicking print, after I had originally printed from the eBay app. After I seen this page and chose to print, the label popped up on my screen at correct size.

The 2nd page, showing the small, cut off label, is what my other label looked like (the one that had not originally been printed on the app, just from Chrome.)

Message 3 of 3
latest reply