cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Store Category - Search Engine Keywords - Entries

When entering the keywords, in what syntax should they be entered?

Words and/or Part Numbers separated by commas?

In the example below, I entered part numbers, comma, brand name

Are these entries searchable by Google Search Engine or are they just for searching within the store?

This keyword search feature has always been sort of a black hole for me as far as what to do with it and the correct syntax in which to enter the information. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Primary Keyword 1 : Audio, video

Primary Keyword 2 : C4-SR250RSK-B, control4

Secondary Keyword 1 : pa760, peerless

Secondary Keyword 2 : hp450, peerless

Secondary Keyword 3 : mcd-6241, chief

Secondary Keyword 4 : tb8, bogen

Secondary Keyword 5 : paca2, panasonic

Secondary Keyword 6 : bb53tfe, schneider

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hi calntom,

I am not an expert in this area however, I have been selling on eBay for over 16 years and have operated an eBay store since they launched them.

Years ago when keywords were first introduced I experimented with various scenarios trying to find which worked best for me.  Way back then keywords did get me exposure on the major search engines, Google, Bing, etc.

Then the infamous eBay / Google snit happened and Google refused to provide eBay listings with exposure.  Some large sellers began paying Google directly for search placement.  eBay staff (Griff and others) reluctantly acknowledged that fact when questioned in eBay Weekly Chat With Staff sessions a few years ago.

We are now being informed through staff comments posted on Weekly Chat that keywords are again assisting seller inclusion on major search engines.

My keywords are set up in the way I think most people search Google.

Primary keyword 1:  brand names with a comma between each. (Carter, Revlon, ..)

Primary keyword 2: generic descriptive words (makeup, clothing, toys, puzzle, ..)

Secondary keywords 1 - 6: I fill in with either more brand names or descriptive terms: Got2b, Old Spice, Clairol, Puzzlebug, shampoo, eyeshadow, deodorant, bodywash, craft kits, books, wire, etc.  I have recently added a few upc's from best selling items to see if that has any impact.  (I think most people search by brand name unless they are looking for a very specific item or replacement part or a simple generic "red blouse" to see what's out there).

This seems to work okay for me as I have found some of my items on Google and Bing.

Hopefully another seller with more expertise in this area will offer more insight.

Best wishes,

Bonnie Jo

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

A thought...... you might want to post your inquiry on the Selling board so more sellers can read it and respond.

There was a discussion on this topic a couple of years ago on that board.  

*B*

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

Hi calntom,

I am not an expert in this area however, I have been selling on eBay for over 16 years and have operated an eBay store since they launched them.

Years ago when keywords were first introduced I experimented with various scenarios trying to find which worked best for me.  Way back then keywords did get me exposure on the major search engines, Google, Bing, etc.

Then the infamous eBay / Google snit happened and Google refused to provide eBay listings with exposure.  Some large sellers began paying Google directly for search placement.  eBay staff (Griff and others) reluctantly acknowledged that fact when questioned in eBay Weekly Chat With Staff sessions a few years ago.

We are now being informed through staff comments posted on Weekly Chat that keywords are again assisting seller inclusion on major search engines.

My keywords are set up in the way I think most people search Google.

Primary keyword 1:  brand names with a comma between each. (Carter, Revlon, ..)

Primary keyword 2: generic descriptive words (makeup, clothing, toys, puzzle, ..)

Secondary keywords 1 - 6: I fill in with either more brand names or descriptive terms: Got2b, Old Spice, Clairol, Puzzlebug, shampoo, eyeshadow, deodorant, bodywash, craft kits, books, wire, etc.  I have recently added a few upc's from best selling items to see if that has any impact.  (I think most people search by brand name unless they are looking for a very specific item or replacement part or a simple generic "red blouse" to see what's out there).

This seems to work okay for me as I have found some of my items on Google and Bing.

Hopefully another seller with more expertise in this area will offer more insight.

Best wishes,

Bonnie Jo

Thank you Bonnie Jo,

I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like I have the correct syntax. Word or words separated with a comma. I reckon I will start going through and adding and editing what I have there now.

Thank you very much for the reply. 

I went ahead and posting over on the selling board as well.  

Message 4 of 4
latest reply