cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users' Stamp Club meeting here July 18-20: “Fakes, Forgeries, and Altered Stamps”

*** eBay Users' Stamp Club ***

Please join us here on this thread for our monthly meeting on “Fakes, Forgeries, and Altered Stamps”

from any time on Friday July 18 tillmidnight PDT on Sunday July 20

Fakes, Forgeries, and Altered Stamps

How to detect them, what to look for, etc.

Regumming, reperfing, how to detect repairs.

Share your “gotcha” stories about your not so wonderful purchases.

----------------------------

Anne will be decorating the balcony with faux fur.

Claytons will be on the drinks menu.

“Make Your Own Forgery” Play Zone

We will have an area set aside with rubber stamps, images of stamp sheets on CDs, a color printer which can handle large pages, some gum arabic and even a perforator for you to “whip up” your own forgery to take home with you as a memento of the meeting. Make sure you put it in your collection!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014 Co-Presidents sheryll*net and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

eBay Users' Stamp Club meeting here July 18-20: “Fakes, Forgeries, and Altered Stamps”

Hello all! 

Welcome to the meeting!  The balcony is indeed stocked with all sorts of goodies--pastries flavored with fake rum and fake maple,  fake crab and lobster rolls, and fake apple pie made with Ritz crackers (the recipe was on the box for decades).  I've also brought a sewing machine in case anyone wants a truly unique perf variety.  Sewing machine perfs would look very nice on Washington and Franklins,  There's a stock of  British Guiana 1c Magenta reprints,  They would look so nice with perfs.  Also, there's a rubber stamp with a very tiny "faux" in case anyone wants to share the wealth on eBay.

My own first offering is a page of forgeries from my Egyptian album.  The original set dates from 1867-1872, but a lot of people got into the act later, including our friend Spiro.  The weird rettas (dotted cancels) on some of them are a dead giveaway. 

Anne in NJ

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thanks, Anne, for provisioning the balcony. Everything looks so real! Ashleigh would love it!!

This is something I wanted to post on the As, then the Fs...

Ah, but anyway it is more appropriate here.

Alavoine, part 1

In the New Hebrides philatelic world, it was written by Nathan Hals and Phil Collas in their 1967 handbook (The New Hebrides: Postal Stamps and their History, p150) that a Sydney jeweler named Alavoine "is credited with having made" forgeries of the PORT-VILA cancel and selling them through a stamp dealer over 40 years earlier.

The example they show on p158 has the date 16 NOV 11. The malformed P in PORT, the smaller N in NELLES and the short dash above the S of HEBRIDES identify a cancel  as an Alavoine forgery. They note that this cancel has been seen on the stamps of the New Hebrides, the ANHCo locals, Fiji, NSW, Victoria and Queensland.

I won this NSW stamp on piece cancelled with the PORT-VILA postmarker from an Aussie auction house in March 2001. When I realized it was an Alavoine forgery and went to return it, they let me have it gratis for my reference collection.

NSW.1d.T5CU.jpg

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Alavoine, part 2

An eBay purchase in July 2000 of 1920s stamps and overprints revealed the same forged cancel. This time dated 16 NOV 21, undocumented in Hals and Collas. The year “21” is seen clearly on the 10c French 1924 (yes, 1924!!) overprint (top right).

1921 (and 1924) is actually in the ballpark of the “more than 40 years ago”, stated by Hals and Collas.

1921.nov16.4oprts.T5CU.Alavoine.300dpi_crop.jpg

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

And here's the next instalment...

Alavoine, part 3

Colleagues have researched Alavoine, half wondering if he was a myth, as they could not find any trace of him in Sydney records.

One, Martin Treadwell, has published two articles about Alavoine in the Pacific Islands Study Circle (PISC) journal Pacifica. In the first (Oct 2007), he discusses fake 1910 French overprints that have the Alavoine cancel. An example:

Martin_article_2007_forgery_16nov11_1.jpg

In the second (Oct 2008) he shows a cover with a set of Syndicat Francais des Nouvelles-Hébrides (SFNH) local stamps affixed and canceled 16 NOV 11. This cover is illustrated with the name and address of the firm Office Intermediaire in Noumea. New Caledonia. The name ALAVOINE is printed at bottom right within the design.

Pacifica_Article_2008_10_p2.jpg

Martin used a digital camera to photograph the area under the bottom stamp and found a signature in elegant manuscript: Lucien Alavoine, Directeur.

Lucien_Alavoine__Directeur_Martin_2008_10.jpg

This placed Alavoine at Noumea, and the photo on the cover is likely to be of him. Martin deduced that regardless of whether Alavoine later became a jeweler in Sydney, he did his forging whilst at Noumea, working as a printer and running the business Office Intermediaire.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

The master forger Jean de Sperati sometimes made "die proofs" of his work.  Here are two of his "die proofs" for his British Honduras 1885 six pence and one shilling stamps.  They are in the issued colors and are signed in pencil by him.  The die proofs were probably made in the 1930s.

I have also included a genuine one shilling stamp with SPECIMEN overprint at the bottom for comparison purposes and to show how good his work is.

Sperati.jpg

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

bwi - Very nice!!!

If you are still following, here's...

Alavoine, part 4

In June this year my husband showed me a cover he’d bought, and was wondering where Cabramatta was. Also I was to translate the notes in French at left. Whilst looking at the cover, I saw the name Alavoine. Monsieur L. Alavoine!

Now I had something to go on, I found more covers and other information confirming that a Lucien Alavoine did indeed exist in Sydney (well, Cabramatta became a Sydney suburb in the 60s), but there was no suggestion of his being a jeweler.

1960.feb.6.Alavoine_France_Cabramatta_front_small.jpg

1960.feb.6.Alavoine_France_Cabramatta_back_small.jpg

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Alavoine, part 5

More Alavoine covers

The auspostalhistory.com website has an article on an 11 Apr 1939 cover from L. Alavoine of Longfield St, Cabramatta to Rabat, Morocco. It was returned to sender as the addressee had passed away. See http://www.auspostalhistory.com/articles/337.php Note the same elegant script as on Martin’s SFNH cover.

I was glad to have found this cover early in my search as the street name showed up many times as the address of Lucien Alavoine and his family.

Another cover from eBay proved interesting. It was postmarked at Cabramatta on 6 Sep 1955, sent to France. On the back was a rubber stamp showing the sender as “L. Alavoine, Philatelist.”

1955.sep.6.Alavoine_Cabramatta_France_front.jpg

1955.sep.6.Alavoine_Cabramatta_France_back.jpg

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Would love to see some more postings here before the meeting closes tonight at midnight PDT.

FYI, from what I found on the net, Lucien Prosper Alavoine:

was born around 1876,

moved to Australia around 1915,

visited France in 1917,

moved to Cabramatta in 1932,

was convicted of stealing stamps valued at £603 in 1938 (was a clerk then according to records), and paid compensation

became an Australian citizen in 1943

his wife Marie died in 1948 aged 54

died in 1962 aged 86

son Napoleon "Nap" died in 2013 aged 92

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Computer replicas continue to crop up.

This is a recent example.  The other stamp in the set is also available.  Both have "copy" stamped on the back. 

People have been making honest replicas for a long time.  British Guiana 1 penny magenta replicas are in a lot of people's collections.  I was given one as a child, and it still sits in my album along with some Confederate replicas. They're proliferating these days, and the quality has gone down.  Also, the competerizers are creating replicas of stamps that aren't particularly expensive, as well as those that aren't.  I've seen a number of them in the Egypt listings on eBay.  I haven't looked recently, but I don't recall seeing any such things in the Luxembourg listings. 

Are any other countries afflicted with them at the moment? 

Anne in NJ

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Gahh.  I just took a quick tour of the Forgeries and Replicas section.   I'm going to hide under my rock now.

PS  Beware of Luxembourg Officials bearing gifts..  Lots and lots of forged overprints.  Certs are necessary.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

The eUSC meeting is now officially closed, but feel free to post if you didn’t get a chance to earlier.

Thanks, Anne and bwiphilately, for your interesting postings.

I hope I didn’t bore anyone with my Alavoine instalments, but the meeting was a good excuse for me to pull all the info on him together.

-----------------

Next meeting will be the weekend August 15-17 and the topic will be:

Postmarks and Auxiliary Markings

Show us your collecting interests as they extend to postmarks, mailers permits, pre-cancels, return to sender markings, carriers marks, registration marks, manuscript markings, maximaphily and much more.

Are some of them rare?

Were they added afterwards to make the cover more valuable?

Did the cover eventually get to the sender?

What is the value of slogan cancel cutouts from the 60s?

A side topic will be Philatelic Forums and Chat options for those who would like to let us know of other worthwhile online places to enjoy our hobby/speciality.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply