Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users' Stamp Club meeting Oct 24-26: “Obscure Objects of Desire”

*** eBay Users' Stamp Club ***

Please join us for our monthly meeting on Obscure Objects of Desire

from any time on Friday Oct 25 till midnight PDT on Sunday Oct 26

Obscure Objects of Desire

This is the stuff on your want lists that you can't find, are saving up for, or will have only in your dreams.

Anne and I will be stocking the balcony with special delicacies. Also, our old fiend Addie will be setting up his computer and printer to supply all your want list needs (and then some).

See you then!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014 Co-Presidents sheryll*net (Sheryll in Oz) and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

At the risk of being that person who always arrives before you have the dip made and the snacks out...

Greetings all.  Finally have a moment to pop in and post something at a club meeting.  thank you Sheryll for being kind enough to send the email invites.

115110.jpg

Here is an item I actually bid on a few years ago.  For those of you who don't know me or may not remember, my specialty is postal history that has the 24 cent US 1861 stamp (scott 70, 78,99) on it.  My suspicion is that it did not matter how much I bid on this one, it was not going to come home with me.  And, it likely never will.

Short description is that this item originated in the Cariboo gold rush region in British Columbia.  The red label indicated paid private carriage.  The US stamps were actually applied in Victoria.  At this time, mail from Vancouver Island and British Columbia had to use US mails to get to "eastern" Canada.

this is one of those cases where I don't have any regrets because I bid what I could afford for this one.  The problem is that I can't afford *that* much and likely never will.

I'll try and post a couple of other things to get the ball rolling.

Rob

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

This could be fun, so I'm going to post another one.

In any event.  I do notice some people I used to know that still post here.  What a pleasant surprise!

ag illustrated cover to england.jpg

Here is one I saw in an old catalogue (or somewhere).  I don't recall an opportunity to buy or bid on it.  This one interests me in part because of the 24 cent stamp on it.  However, you need to know a little about what I now do in order to appreciate why it would be fun to acquire it some day.

At present, I run a small diversified farm in Iowa.  I grow vegetables that I sell through a CSA Farm Share program and I raise poultry.  So, I have a natural affinity for the connection to agriculture/horticulture.

Yes. I am the same person who was working toward a PhD in Computer Science and who taught college courses for a while as well.

My how life changes.

Rob

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Here's a cover I've seen listed in an auction.  I like it alot, but wasn't too happy that the restoration of the cover was not disclosed the last time it was sold.

brazil2.jpg

It's fun to think about this thing going to England first before it crossed the Atlantic a second time in order to get to Brazil.

Below is the cover pre-restoration.  It seems they cleaned up the edges quite a bit and got rid of wrinkle or two at the right.  Clearly they added some paper at the bottom right.  I guess I understand it, but. 

Regardless, the postal history aspect with the rate and route is very interesting to me, to say nothing of the pedigree of the addressee, etc.

brazil2prerestoration.jpg

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

What to get a guy who likes a certain stamp design?  A cover that has ALOT of that stamp on it.  Yep, six will do.

I hope you all enjoyed these and I look forward to returning and seeing your dreams.

Rob

227641.jpg

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Note.  I am the current caretaker of this item.  It DOES have five of the 24 cent stamp on it, so I probably should be satisfied.  This is something I actually picked up on ebay several years ago.  I believe the old board was still running at that time.  Some of you might even remember when I shared it there.  It's still one of the crown jewels of the collection. 

No5timesrate.jpg

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Great to see you here, Rob! I hope you hang around, and contribute to future meetings. Did you finish your Ph D?

If you want a blast from the past, these eUSC pages document the history of the club.

The "Where are they now?" pages will give you an update on most of us.

My elusive Object of Desire was the 1921 inverted 1d overprint of the New Hebrides.

Roumet.VPN19.2002.337.1921.1d.invert.jpg

In late 2002 I had the opportunity to buy 3 big ticket items. Unfortunately, I went on Christmas holidays just as a mail order catalog containing this and the 1924 inverted 5d came out. On my return, I found that the 5d was still available but the 1d had been sold. :(((

There are now 19 known copies of the 1d, all from the same sheet of 30. In contrast, 35 copies of the 5d are now known, and it appears that they came from 3 sheets. Back in 2002, it was still thought they came from one sheet.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Like Rob, I'm thinking this could be fun!

We New Hebrides collectors have had to try to not tread on each others' toes too much as items have become available on eBay, auction houses, etc. So we have slightly different interests and strengths in our collections.

One of mine was the 1893 Military Franchise essays. These were prepared in New Caledonia ostensibly for military mail, but were really part of a political shenanegan by the French to legitimise their desired control of the New Hebrides. They were rejected by the British.

1893.MF.4th.sheet.150dpi.jpg

A colleague who owned, among the other essays, an unusual and desirable sheet not in my collection passed away. When his material came up for auction, I was unable to bid. However, I have since learned that his essays have all gone to a good home. 🙂

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

This strip of 6 1904 Bonnet imitations of the 1903 Syndicat Francais "local" stamps came on eBay just as I was leaving for a holiday in New Zealand prior to CANPEX 2000. It caused quite a stir in our circle of collectors. I was unable to consider bidding  due to my imminent departure and lack of internet whist traveling.

Ebay.1904.Bonnet.strip6.jpg

I was shocked to find, on my arrival in NZ and visiting a NH colleague there, that the strip was to be cut up and distributed to the varoius collectors who had bid on it. !!!

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Since I am not familiar with NZ material, help me understand the rarity of this item. How often does one find singles, much less a strip, of these items?
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Hey now!  Either everyone is perfectly content with what they have and there is nothing more to acquire OR you don't have pictures immediately available?

Just describe it and maybe someone else will have access to a picture.  I can't believe there are only two philatelists in the group that have things they are dreaming about acquiring...

Below is another one I wouldn't be upset to see walking in my door.  But, I'm afraid I might be allergic to the amount of money it would take to get it should it become available again.

Rob

(the manic, but wishful, poster of things philatelic)

england legal size 90.jpg

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Sheryll, Thanks for asking. Yes, I did complete the PhD. That might explain why I farm now. Or maybe it doesn't. 🙂
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Last one, I promise. 

This item would meet two 'needs' in my collection.  I want a nice example of the Portland exchange office marking (in red below) and I nice cover showing the proper rate to Russia.

russia1.jpg

I shouldn't complain too much.  I do have this item to Russia:

Russiamissstmp.jpg

But, sadly, it is missing a 2 cent stamp at the bottom left.

I also have this item to Russia - but it is forwarded.  the original destination was England.

I do, like both of them just fine, thank you.  But, we are dreaming here, yes?

russiaforward.jpg

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Hi Rob, thanks for your continued support of the meeting topic. Occasionally we lack posters at meetings, not sure why, but I suspect it has to do with the topic.

Re your question on the rarity of the strip of 6 Bonnet imitations, let me post the last page of my 2002 "Fantasies of the New Hebrides" exhibit. [Pay attention to the fine print in the middle. O, that we could get away with putting that sort of info in competitive stamp show classes...]

Bonnet imitation

4 strips of 6 are now known to exist. They were unknown to the writers of the 1967 handbook on the New Hebrides. Singles are seen infrequently. I purchased mine from the collector who owned the above 2 strips of 6.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I have mentioned a few stamp items of the New Hebrides, but covers are coveted too.

My colleague and I drooled over this cover to Malta which was bundled into a lot with other covers. This immediately put me out of the running, but my colleague was able to win the lot. This was attractive to me because of its destination and simple elegance.

1915.april.22.Gath.Malta.front.jpg

Message 15 of 22
latest reply