cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users' Stamp Club meeting August 15-17: “Mounting Techniques”

*** eBay Users' Stamp Club *** Please join us for our monthly meeting on “Mounting Techniques” from any time on Friday August 15 till midnight PDT on Sunday August 17 Mounting Techniques How do you mount your collections? What products work best for you? type of mount - hinges, open at top (Hawid/Lighthouse mounts), closed divided back (Scott/Prinz/Showgard), other cover corners - small adhesive, bigger lickable, large for those stampless letters ... putting it on the page - glue sticks, glue dots, licking the mount ... matting - computer printed border, card stock matting, double matting ... borders Hagner/Vario sheets, stockbooks, personally prepared album pages, preprinted pages, quadrille pages... Tell us your "good, bad and ugly" mounting stories. And the tips and tricks you have learned that make your collection shine! ---------------------------- Anne will be decorating the balcony with double matted Egyptian covers and proofs. “Slightly Unhinged” workshop area We will have an area set aside with hinges, cover corners, stamp mounts, paper trimmers, guillotines (careful!), adhesives, white and colored card stock, prepared album pages and, or course, sample stamps and covers. Once you have perfected your mounting technique, you can take your page home with you. Sheryll and Anne eUSC 2014 Co-Presidents sheryll*net and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Sorry for the unformatted message. I'm having trouble here. Testing 1 tu 1 tu
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Ok, that last was "Rich (sic) Text. Going for HTML... *** eBay Users' Stamp Club *** Please join us for our monthly meeting on “Mounting Techniques” from any time on Friday August 15 till midnight PDT on Sunday August 17 Mounting Techniques How do you mount your collections? What products work best for you? type of mount - hinges, open at top (Hawid/Lighthouse mounts), closed divided back (Scott/Prinz/Showgard), other cover corners - small adhesive, bigger lickable, large for those stampless letters ... putting it on the page - glue sticks, glue dots, licking the mount ... matting - computer printed border, card stock matting, double matting ... borders Hagner/Vario sheets, stockbooks, personally prepared album pages, preprinted pages, quadrille pages... Tell us your "good, bad and ugly" mounting stories. And the tips and tricks you have learned that make your collection shine! ---------------------------- Anne will be decorating the balcony with double matted Egyptian covers and proofs. “Slightly Unhinged” workshop area We will have an area set aside with hinges, cover corners, stamp mounts, paper trimmers, guillotines (careful!), adhesives, white and colored card stock, prepared album pages and, or course, sample stamps and covers. Once you have perfected your mounting technique, you can take your page home with you. Sheryll and Anne eUSC 2014 Co-Presidents sheryll*net and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

No luck. But hopefully you get the drift. Post your mounting techniques on this thread over the weekend. Thanks, Sheryll and Anne.
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Showgart mounts are not good for international stamps as well as US. I prefer Hawid types that you can trim to each stamp to mount. You can get them from various vendors Also air flows better with these mounts.
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

i use  Showguard  mounts for mint stamps, as well as stock books. used stamps in most of my world wide albums are mounted with hinge, one exception is my Canada Album, all stamps are mounted with showguard mounts to  keep it uniform, same goes for our USA albums.

on my naval cover collection use clear plastic pages which will hold six covers per page. these pages are made for a standard three ring binder.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Mostly i use the showguard mounts i can trim to size, but do use some pre- cut ones for standard size stamps. Hinges i use the old  Dennison peelable hinges.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I use Scott/Prinz mounts for all my stamps, even the cheapest, faulty ones. Smiley Frustrated I like the black color better than the blue Showgard uses and I like that the stamps are more secure than the Hawid open top style. I use open top for exhibits however and I have no idea why. I also have a high end Scott album set for my US collection and it uses clear open top mounts. I have followed that when I've had to add more varieties to the album (for instance to add spaces for 10A and 11A). I should say I pretty much exclusively use the strips and cut to size using Showgard guillotines.

My main collection is worldwide on homemade pages sized and drilled to match the Scott International binders and I hinge (using cheap 'hinges of steel') the Scott mounts to the pages. This makes things much, much easier when I have to replace a page due to changes in  design. I find it relatively easy to replace a stamp when upgrading. (Gotta get rid of those faulty one after all.)

Duplicates are housed in stock books or glassines, then stored on a shelf, in a pile or in a box until I've completely forgotten I have them. It makes it much more exciting when I discover them again in the future...

I've been using corner mounts for covers in exhibits and large Scott/Prinz mounts for covers in the collections. I also use large mounts for souvenir sheets and the like. I did run into an issue with that when mounting the largest items for my Greenland collection (see here for instance) and I solved it with corner mounts and black background paper to simulate the normal moounts. I was lucky several years ago and won a large lot of large Scott mounts at an auction. I very likely have all the large mounts I'll ever need. Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

A month or so ago I posted the following on another thread:

I primarily use top loading mounts.  They are much easier to use and one does not risk damaging the stamp as is possible with split backs.   When I buy new mounts I get the widest size split back strips, at the best price I can find. I then cut them lengthwise following the split in the back.  I then have two strips that are open on 3 sides that can be cut down to fit most any size stamp and easily load from the top.  Other than recycling mounts I have found it to be the most economical way to obtain mounts.  The biggest arguement for not using splitbacks is that you need many many different sizes on hand to suit your needs which can be quite expensive.  
One needs a medium sized paper shear and a small stamp shear to properly cut the large splitback mounts down. HINT: When cutting the long strips on the larger shear you need to use a piece of stiff card stock to use as a holdown at the edge of the cutter to get good straght cuts.
In purchasing the splitbacks to cut down, 80 mm wide is a good size to look for.   It is about the largest size that come ten to a pack, larger sizes only contain 5 per package.   They usually come 240mm long.  When cut lengthwise down the split in the back, a pack will yield 20 strip at 40mm high.  I would guess 80% of stamps are 40mm or less in height so this size can be cut to fit most stamps.  You can get 200 mounts that are 24mm wide from a single pack.   At around $6.00 a pack that is 3 cents a piece which is only twice the approximate price of a single Dennison stamp hinge.  Shipping of course is most always a consideration so it is best to buy several packs at a time from the same vendor.

I never use the adhesive provided on the mounts, it either sticks to well or not good at all.  Glue sticks work the best, for me, providing adequate adhesion but not so much that you cannot remove the mount from the page without damaging the page.

As far as souvenir sheets go, finding full mounts is fairly difficult and can be very time consuming and expensive.  As of late I have been using a single clear split back mount, usually size 24X 40 size, to mount my sheets.  I cut the mount down the split and then half each of those two pieces.  These are place in the four corners extending a couple mm from the edge of the sheet.  On larger sheets I may also add these to the middle of the sides.   It is not the best way in the world but I probably have thousands of sheets and it easliy gets them on the pages where they belong.
Below is an example, however I used a little larger than a 25X40mm to mount this one.   I only use clear mounts in my Scott Platinum hingeless U.S. album, as does Bill,  so I've put all the extra ones I have laying around for this purpose.

bb06b.jpg

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I guess i have a complete different approach as most collectors here.

I use custom sized pages (220-240 grams), fitted into archive quality sleeve I purchase from archiv-box.

The pages are 24.8 x 30.5 mm (w x h)

For every item (stamps, sheets, covers) every item I use a gray background. On this background cardboard /160 grams or so) i mount the covers with corner mounts from Lindner.

They are open at the tip so you can put covers easily in without giving to much pressure to the corner of the over.

Stamps i mount under clear Hawid which I close at top with some sort of special glue that was available from Hawid earlier but now it is hard to find. Also these stamps i mount on the same gray cardboard as I use for the cover but us the glue on back of the Hawid mounts.

But, the gray cardboard mount on the Album page with some special glue from HERMA, Article No. 1061. That comes on tape and you need to roll it on the paper. The clue is of archival quality and you can separate album page form the card board again and reposition the object.

You even can rub-off the glue form the album page!

Later today i try to upload some sample pages.., or, you can view my Tibet collection

Tibet
Nepal classic
Iran/Persia, Lion Issue
Iraq Railway stamps
Iraq, Flood Relieve stamps 1967
Overland Mail Baghdad-Haifa
Colombia, Private Carrier stamps
SCADTA, provisional registration stamps
#1s world wide
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I use Hawids for my stamps (including stamps in my postal savings exhibits)...though I'm not really a stamp guy (recent work has been in starting some European country/colony collections on Steiner pages more for amusement than anything).  And I do use Hawids for everything - I like the "hingeless" look better than hinging things these days.

I only really mount covers when I'm assembling exhibits (things are otherwise in cover albums), and for those I use 3/4" self-adhesive clear mounting corners that I buy from Subway (I think they are the house G&K brand).  I have some larger ones for big or thick items, and the cheap half-inch ones from a craft supply store actually work quite well for postcards but not as well for covers (and are too small for stampless covers).

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Hi all,

Sorry to be late to the party!

I've replentished the Hors d'oeuvres in the balcony.  Since so much of what we're talking about is stuffing stamps into mounts, this month's repast is largely stuffed things--several varieties of stuffed mushrooms, stuffed peppers, stuffed shells, spring rolls, dumplings, and cannoli for desert.    I've also set up a small onsite lab to try to recreate the formula for Dennison's.  Feel free to experiment.

As to the subject at hand,  I use different materials and techniques depending on which part of my collection I'm working on.  The world wide stuff gets either hinges or  split back mounts depending on the quality and  condition of the stamp.  Mint gets split back mounts, used gets either modern hinges of steel or Dennisons, depending on the vintage and price of the stamp, how much I like it aesthetically, and the mood I'm in.  Consistency is the hoboglin of little minds.

My Egyptian stuff, which I am very slowly crating my own pages for, is done on heavy duty Hammermill card stock.  Every stamp is put in a split back black, which protects it and very nicely shows off every stamp that's akimbo in its mount.  Fine motor control?  Who me?  The page itself goes into a clear archival plastic page protector and then into a three ring binder.   Covers go into Vario sheets, two pockets per side.  On pages which are likely to change as I get more examples (special cancels, plate flaws, watermark and perf varieties),  I type descriptions and mount them next to the stamp on the page.  Most of the the mounts get hinged for easy mobility.  For these, I'm thinking of cutting the mounts longer and putting both stamp and caption in the same mount. 

As I said, it goes verrrry slowly, and I'm not sure how far I'll get.,  I just started on ther 4th issue (the lovely De La Rue sphinxes this  week.   I've got a ton of them, from different collections that I bought over the years.  However,  I'm now discovering that I have fewer mint copies than I thought I had. 

Anne in NJ

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@22028 wrote:

I guess i have a complete different approach as most collectors here.

I use custom sized pages (220-240 grams), fitted into archive quality sleeve I purchase from archiv-box.

The pages are 24.8 x 30.5 mm (w x h)

I'm thinking you mean cm instead of mm, unless the pages are unusually small... 🙂

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Interesting posts so far and thanks for sharing.

In Australia I used open top mounts (Lighthouse/Hawid) for the stamps in my exhibit and Transparol (= Herma) corners for covers.

We nearly all (in Canberra) used an ivory goat parchment type exhibit paper.

All other stamps were filed in Hagner sheets.

Some of my exhibit workbook material is in mounts inside the Hagners.

Here I am in the process of experimenting with the US stuff that’s available. My first ream of exhibit paper here matched perfectly (Natural, 68881). However each successive ream is slightly different, and scans as gray, which is not satisfactory.

I bought G & K Herma type corner mounts, which were fine up till 2009 but they now appear to have gone the way of my old Transparol mounts and have warped. The result is an ugly corner when mounted.

A Royal Faux Pas 300dpi_corner mount_Herma.jpg

I am currently using G&K Imperial 3/4 inch self-stick mounts for everything, but would prefer a corner mount that doesn’t show any edges.

I have also played with matting and quite like the effect.

A Royal Faux Pas mat 300dpi_corner mount.jpg

I recently bought a “whole bunch” of clear Scott/Prinz closed end mounts. I ended up using them to remount my eUSC stamps as they would (particularly iomoon) develop a lean in the open top mounts.

For the more informal displays that I have made this year, I use adhesive photo corners for postcards and text printed onto card.

I use the G&K Imperial 3/4 inch self-stick mounts for covers.

I use hinges or Scott/Prinz mounts for stamps.

I am using photo corners for meters, which is awkward but currently still doable.

Paper color varies (have used ivory for stamps/postcards, white for covers, light gray for meters, and even green and blue for some entertaining one-pagers).

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Querry-

I'm preparing to do a major mounting experiment with my Jamaica which presently resides in stockbooks and some work pages.  I'll make up two Stamp Album Web albums and use one for mint and the second for used.  I'll cope with the problems of varieties not listed by adding blank pages or something.  I'll try to mount the used with Dennison hinges.  For the mint I expect to try Mitch's method of spliting large Showgard mounts and using a 3-sides open version.  (I'm frugal!)  I find I'll need more than the 80mm he suggested so I'm expecting to add some larger widths: say 107mm and 137mm.  That will provide for stamps up to 51mm and 66mm in height.  I already have a Showgard guillotine which seems to do a great job.

This brings me to my first question.  Several people use Hawid mounts.  Are they a better alternative for this experiment than the Showgard?

And here's my second question.  There are Showgard seconds which are available and more economical.  (roughly half price)  Has anyone tried these and has an opinion to offer?  Would they be suitable or not?

Thanks in advance for your help, suggestions, encouragement, criticism, and other comments.

jimbo

Message 15 of 26
latest reply