Not applicable

DSCF7715.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Airmail Envelope

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure what this is. In the catalog I can find the 6 cent and the 2 cent but with the 5 added I don't know what that makes this. Any help is appreciated. Envelope stamps aren't my thing.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Airmail Envelope

6cents add to cover 8 cent airmail rate.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Airmail Envelope

Burton,

As you probably already know, this appears to have started out as a UC8 (AIR 6¢ MAIL in rectangular box on 2¢ PSE) and somehow or other it was also overprinted with the 1946 REVALUED | 5¢ | P.O. DEPT. surcharge which was  normally used only on the 6¢ orange PSE of 1942-44.  This is certainly possible if some remainder of the UC8 was overprinted. 

HOWEVER, I would be suspicious unless you have provenance which goes back to the time the items appeared in the post offices.  Since the time when sophisticated digital software and printers have been available, it would be relatively easy to overprint the 5¢ REVALUED surcharge on a legitimate UC8 envelope.  I think I could do it by copying the overprint from the catalog and adjusting it for proper size and then  adjust my laser printer to place it in the right place over a UC8.  I could do even better by scanning a UC10 and removing the orange leaving only the black overprint and then repeating the calibration and location.

I am somehwat surprised that such an error has not previously been noted and added to the catalog.  Because it is so easy to create and print in a laser printer, I would not expect anything until it had been expertised.  OTOH, someone may already know that such an error has been uncovered and already expertised.

jimbo

just my ½¢

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Airmail Envelope

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Can't imagine why anyone would go to the bother of doing that  but I guess anything is possible.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Airmail Envelope

I think it's obvious why someone would have gone to the trouble - if accepted as real, this envelope would be quite bvaluable.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Airmail Envelope

@burtonhetzer: "Thanks. Can't imagine why anyone would go to the bother of doing that but I guess anything is possible."

Yep, I have seen counterfeit $10 bills, that looked so good I could not see that they were counterfeit even in bright sunlight, but they turned black under the special pens used to detect funny money.  Can you imagine the time and effort that went into producing those $10 bills?  If the counterfeiter had made $20 bills instead he would have doubled his "profit", yet chose not to.

Go figure!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply