eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Vintage Bulova Ladies Watch

in reply to missuskravitz

missuskravitz wrote:

Stewart, I'll keep my eyes open for any Waltham watches and let you know.  I saw several that seem to have wooden cases, kind of art deco.  Never saw anything like them before.

Collecting -- some of the stuff is pretty unwieldy -- an antique Belgian Confessional, 4 8' long antique oak church pews, some antique clocks that are over 6' tall.  One of the stained glass windows is about 9' x 6'.

I'm in the burbs, so there are no local clubs or resources.

Brit, the back of the watch is gold.

Yeah, I would only purchase the large pieces if I had a specific buyer lined up already.

Now, that stained glass window, may be another story, lol.

Please use plain text.
britwithbadteeth
Community Member

missuskravitz wrote:

Even better. By the 1970's they had converted to stainless steel backplates for most of their lower end models however retained the use of gold backplates for their higher end customers. If the band is original to the watch it should also be 10K RG whereas those models with stainless steel backs used different alloys other than gold for their bands to keep the price down. If you really like it as jewelry you should keep it whether or not it works. Due to the gold content it can only go up in value.

It's collectalble value really depends upon the specific model and how many were manufactured. As someone else mentioned it is more important that it remain all original than whether or not it is actually working.

Please use plain text.
missuskravitz
Community Member

in reply to stewart4431

Stewart, I'll keep my eyes open for any Waltham watches and let you know.  I saw several that seem to have wooden cases, kind of art deco.  Never saw anything like them before.

Collecting -- some of the stuff is pretty unwieldy -- an antique Belgian Confessional, 4 8' long antique oak church pews, some antique clocks that are over 6' tall.  One of the stained glass windows is about 9' x 6'.

I'm in the burbs, so there are no local clubs or resources.

~"Tolerance does not mean accepting what is harmful."~

Timber Hawkeye
Please use plain text.
britwithbadteeth
Community Member

[ Edited ]

missuskravitz wrote:

Thanks, everyone!  The back says Bulova N3 10k Rolled Gold Plate

X19890.

That would be 1973. Is the backplate gold or stainless steel?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

missuskravitz wrote:

X19890.

It is just a lovely little watch I like and would enjoy wearing. The band appears to be original but missing the guard chain.

All of that is very helpful.  In the bigger picture, I'm trying to decide whether or not to take on an estate that is very heavy on antique clocks and watches, stained glass windows, art and all manner of bizarre collectibles. I don't think I'm going to do it. I don't know enough about clocks and most of the items are very large and/or heavy. If I had a store front, I'd take it on in a hot minute.

Also, I've heard prices on clocks are very poor here.

Does your area have clubs that put on show and sales events, just for those types of collectors? Or do they have antique events where you can bring your stuff to sell at?

We have many, many "special" events in our area all the time.  Like a camera club will hold a sales events and set up tables for people that want to sell thier items. 

Antiques and collectibles shows.  Postcards and paper for those kind of collectors to fullfill their need to add to their collections.

I attend alot of the general antique shows, hoping to find what I think I need,  LOL.

Sigh. Lucky you,  I would love to go to a "real" estate sale again.  The last 2 we attended advertised what I was looking for but arrived to see what you would find on that Hoarders show.  Litterally, lol.

Would an antique and collectible show work for you?  In fact, my sister and I just did a show as sellers,and were selling off some of our collection.  Many, many, dealers and attendees asked if we were buying collections and left their names and cards.  We're not dealers or anything, just trying to thin out.

First time out, didn't make much more than the table money, but it was a real fun day.  Met alot of nice people.

Please use plain text.
stewart4431
Community Member

Missusk, are any of the pocket watches Waltham trainmans watches?  I'm intrtested in them

Please use plain text.
missuskravitz
Community Member

in reply to terry5732

LOL!  Yeah, I never wear a watch except as jewelry, and I like the sound of a ticking antique clock so they still have a place in my world if not for telling time.

Timber Hawkeye
Please use plain text.
terry5732
Community Member

Everyone has a reliable timepiece in their phone

Please use plain text.
missuskravitz
Community Member

X19890.

It is just a lovely little watch I like and would enjoy wearing. The band appears to be original but missing the guard chain.

All of that is very helpful.  In the bigger picture, I'm trying to decide whether or not to take on an estate that is very heavy on antique clocks and watches, stained glass windows, art and all manner of bizarre collectibles. I don't think I'm going to do it. I don't know enough about clocks and most of the items are very large and/or heavy. If I had a store front, I'd take it on in a hot minute.

Also, I've heard prices on clocks are very poor here.

Timber Hawkeye
Please use plain text.
britwithbadteeth
Community Member

in reply to dealsintruth

Bulova watches use a date code engraved on the back. The letter indicates the decade and the number indicates the year.

L=1950

M=1960

N=1970

If it is a 1962 the code would be M2

Look for the Hallmark 10RG. That indicates that it would be 10 karat rolled gold.

The band looks to be original to the watch and is often worth more than the watch itself.

If you are going to sell it I wouldn't invest in any repairs. A collector will want to take care of that themself anyway.

Please use plain text.
dealsintruth
Community Member

Don't do anything until you research it. Some old watches have their greatest value with parts that are of the same kind as original. A watch repair service is liable to replace with modern parts. Fine if you just want to use it. But if you want to sell it as a collector's item find a repair place that uses old style parts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please use plain text.
sineaterdoodah
Community Member

in reply to katydidthat

you may want to ask ted_200, on SC,i believe he's quite good with that kind of thing,too...

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
katydidthat
Community Member

in reply to terry5732
Thanks, Terry, but those watches have some sort of catalog number, don't they?
**********************************Siggie***************************************

“Not even the apparently enlightened principle of the ‘greatest good for the greatest number’ can excuse indifference to individual suffering. There is no test for progress other than its impact on the individual.” Nye Bevan
Please use plain text.
terry5732
Community Member

in reply to katydidthat

Below Bulova is 23, for 23 jewel movement

Please use plain text.
katydidthat
Community Member

in reply to terry5732
MrsK, what's the number on the watch?

**********************************Siggie***************************************

“Not even the apparently enlightened principle of the ‘greatest good for the greatest number’ can excuse indifference to individual suffering. There is no test for progress other than its impact on the individual.” Nye Bevan
Please use plain text.
terry5732
Community Member

in reply to jason_incognito

It would be far cheaper to buy a similar working watch on ebay than to have it repaired

Please use plain text.
jason_incognito
Community Member

If you're selling, know what it's worth running before you decide what you want to do with them.

Don't want to spend $75 to fix a watch that is only worth $50?

I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
Please use plain text.
tcmsecretuserid
Community Member

in reply to tcmsecretuserid

Did you know that Terry on the box knows quite a bit about watches? 

Community Member

I do know a watch repair place in Simi, that I trust. I just took a watch there yesterday, to get a new pin put in the band. 

Community Member

Here is the face... That weird line is from my editing program.

LaPetite.jpg

Timber Hawkeye
Please use plain text.