cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seat belts- Agree or disagree?

Trailblazer

Re: Seat belts- Agree or disagree?

in reply to

One more, how could I of all people forget, our innocent children, never allow a child to be without a seat belt, PLEASE. And you young mothers just returning home from the hospital with that brand new bundle of love your first baby, DO NOT EVER think that because your hubby tells you he will drive slow and you can hold that little bundle of joy, DON'T DO IT. Secure your baby in the rear seat in a preferred infant restraint.

Shouldn't even have to comment on why youngsters need to be restrained, by now it should be quite obvious.

in reply to

Airbags.  I remember the mom in the parking lot getting bumped by another car and finding her baby (who should probably not been in the front seat, even though in a car seat) decapitated.

I have seen a lot of carnage over the years and my husband, who is a firefighter and jaws operator, has seen more.

photo 2296388f-feb1-48d2-9555-475e062b3333.jpg
To Everything, There is a Season...
Adventurer

in reply to

Here's a new one. A safety institute has suggested that children use booster seats in cars until age 12.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/11/07/safety-institute-suggests-booster-seats-until-kids-reach-12/

Try and strap in an 11 year old?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ليس هناك سوى إله واحد وأوباما هو رسوله
Guide

[ Edited ]
in reply to

parkgroundskeeper wrote:

Here's a new one. A safety institute has suggested that children use booster seats in cars until age 12.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/11/07/safety-institute-suggests-booster-seats-until-kids-reach-12/

Exactly!  At that stage in their life they are wanting to sit in the front passenger seat, not in a booster seat.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Trailblazer

[ Edited ]
in reply to

parkgroundskeeper wrote:

Well a parent is supposed to be a parent when you say no that's what it means, a child of 11 should not be using an adult seat belt, unless you have a very large child. But discipline is not the enemy of education or of a parents direction.

Trailblazer

in reply to

lynngehringer wrote:

Airbags.  I remember the mom in the parking lot getting bumped by another car and finding her baby (who should probably not been in the front seat, even though in a car seat) decapitated.

I have seen a lot of carnage over the years and my husband, who is a firefighter and jaws operator, has seen more.

That's why I won't comment on air bags, I've seen much too and I'm sure your husband is honored for what he does, and I am one who depended on those fireman putting their lives in danger at those accident scenes too, we all depended on each other.

Trailblazer

in reply to

I kinda look at this in the same light as being told to evacuate an area during storms when the situation can become a danger to life ~~~~and those who by choice don't

They place others lives in danger...the lives of those rescue workers..they cost those groups or governments tons of money in

damaged equipment use .trying to go in and save them ... all of which could be avoided if they once thought of the others who's lives they effect.

In this situation, just as with highway driving, we should as higher evolved beings consider how our actions effect others I have had several good friends that were EMT's the first responders...and ache for the TRAUMA they suffer by facing first hand human maming.

from those who had no consideration of others ..the one woman spent the balance of her life seeing the teen she knew as her sons friend HEADLESS after driving without seat belts...another was the one who located the dead body of a lost neighbor who insisted in riding out a hurricane .....

WE as higher conscious being need to start thinking of how our actions effect others in all instances.

Rockstar

in reply to

Seatbelts save lives.  Wearing helmets saves lives if you're on a motorcycle.  Having a child in a safety seat saves lives... and I know this for a fact.  For adults, it should be a choice and hopefully the adult will use common sense and use the safety features afforded to them.  For children, it should be mandatory.  

********************************************************************************

The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose.

For the sake of others, please learn CPR. You could save a life.

in reply to

There is only one 2-lane road between my little town and the hospital where I worked.  There were several times where my husband would call me to let me know that the road would be blocked for a long time, so I would just stay and help in the ER until he let me know the road would soon be open.

photo 2296388f-feb1-48d2-9555-475e062b3333.jpg
To Everything, There is a Season...
Trailblazer

in reply to

Ok let me put it this way, lets say that wearing a seat belt will save a life or prevent serious injury in every case, some may not agree, they might be correct,  but for the purpose of this point I will attempt to make, lets say that the seat belt is a good, no a great means of saftey in a vehicle.

So I wear a seatbelt and my life is saved, I'm alive where otherwise I wouldn't be because of wearing a seat belt. I HAVE TO LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE THOSE IN POWER MAKE ME, AMOUNG OTHER THINGS, WEAR THAT SEAT BELT. I have to live in slavery being told what to wear, what to do, what not to do how to think, what to say and not to say. If I so much as venture onto a sliver of freedom, I face jail, fines, abuse, and am pushed into a catogory of "lowlife criminal scum" because I tried to live just a moment of being free.

If by law,  I have to wear my seatbelt to save my own live, then just kill me now. There are some things worse than crashing through a windshild, splattered against a tree, crushed by one's own car, or burring in a fire.

Do you really want to live in a world where laws force you to wear a seat belt in your own car?, Where drinking ice tea in a parking lot can get you beaten and arrested by police? Where they can take anything you do, or don't do, like wearing a seat belt and make it a crime?, make you a criminal?

I would love to wear a seatbelt, I really have no problem with it and believe it's the safest way to drive. I just don't want to be told that I have to. It should be personal choice, not a law.

in reply to

I understand your sentiment, mcflyj, but I think you're exaggerating a bit about the penalties for emotional effect.

Generally, no one is jailed, executed or beaten for not wearing a seat belt.  If these things happen as some form of corruption or police brutality, that is a separate issue that could happen based on the individuals involved, seat belt or not.

Usually you can't be pulled over for not wearing a seat belt, but only fined if the cop pulls you over for something else and then observes you weren't wearing your belt (in most states, to the best of my knowledge anyway).

Anyone can choose not to wear the belt, but must be willing to then risk paying a monetary fine if caught without it.  It's still not considered a criminal offense or a felony.

~
Trailblazer

in reply to

Usually you can't be pulled over for not wearing a seat belt

You can in California. 

It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.-- Calvin Coolidge
Guide

in reply to

That's why I won't comment on air bags, I've seen much too and I'm sure your husband is honored for what he does, and I am one who depended on those fireman putting their lives in danger at those accident scenes too, we all depended on each other.

Air bags can an do cause injury, but I'm not sure it out weighs the good they do.

Children do not belong in the passenger seat, because air bags can decapitate.  I'm fortunate to have a vehicle that knows when the passenger doesn't weigh enough (is a child) and I get a light on the dash that tells me the passenger seat air bags are off.

I'm only 5 -2 and I remember when I purchased my car the salesman was a little concern at how close my head/face was to the steering wheel.  I had to be that close in order to reach the peddles and steering wheel comfortably.   So far, so good.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Guide

in reply to

I'm only 5 -2

Me too.  In addition to the possible air bag issue, a lot of seat belts with shoulder straps simply are not designed for someone of this height.   They cut across your neck. 

With respect to the OP...people should wear seat belts. Those who think they are just affecting themselves by not doing so are wrong.   None of us live in a vacuum.   

I don't mind the law.  It's safety-oriented.   Those that want to defy the law...go for it.  Maybe skip the lawsuits for resulting injuries though.

in reply to

nacra43 wrote:

I'm only 5 -2

Me too.  In addition to the possible air bag issue, a lot of seat belts with shoulder straps simply are not designed for someone of this height.   They cut across your neck. 

With respect to the OP...people should wear seat belts. Those who think they are just affecting themselves by not doing so are wrong.   None of us live in a vacuum.   

I don't mind the law.  It's safety-oriented.   Those that want to defy the law...go for it.  Maybe skip the lawsuits for resulting injuries though.

I think an insurance company doesn't have responsibility to pay anything, iif it can be proven you didn't have a seatbelt on.  Or talking on the phone also.  

Guide

^^Depends upon the state. 

in reply to

Rolled my truck in 2004, seatbelt saved me from being thrown out, or tumbling around in the cab.

Got broadsided on my motorcycle this year, helmet got destroyed, head OK.

I wear both all the time.  It's my personal choice.

Law for adults?  No.  Personal choice for either, IMO.

For kids?  Mandatory, IMO.  Personal choice comes with adulthood.

#######
Appreciative of second chances!

in reply to

mcflyj wrote:

This topic is not about the safety aspects of seatbelts, on that note I think most would agree we all should wear them. What this topic is about, should it be each person's choice?, or driver's choice when taking adult passengers?. Or should we all be told in a law, that we must wear a seatbelt, and if so, should'nt we also be made to wear an approved helment and head restraint like they do in Nascar? After all, the safer the better right?

Your thoughts, should we be made to wear them and how far should the enforcment extend? Cameras in cars, or on traffic lights designed to tell if a driver is wearing one? It's my guess that those who don't wear one, would if there was not a law regarding it. So the question extends to do you wear a seat belt because it's the law, or just for safety reasons alone, or a combination of both.

How tight does the noose around one's neck have to be before they try to loosen it?

Smoking cigarettes, drinking a dozen Red Bulls, and eating fried chicken at every meal is discouraged- but not illegal.

I think wearing a seat belt should be a persons choice.

Trailblazer

in reply to

Several years ago, the Powerseller community lost a key member - rxcardman.

For years, he spouted off on a couple of discussion boards about his right not to wear a seatbelt.

Early one morning, he was in an accident, and was violently ejected out of his van.  Died on the spot.

Seat belt laws are there to avoid situations like this one.  Personally, I think the fines should be at least triple what they are now, with cell phone/texting while driving penalized the same way.

"Modern Americans Behave As If Intelligence Were Some Sort Of Hideous Deformity"
Frank Zappa

in reply to

Let's ask Gary Busey what he thinks about helmets.

Meanwhile, we ALL end up paying for those who disregard seat belt and helmet laws.  Brain damage is expensive.

My S/O is an engineer who made his living for many years designing seat belt systems.  He holds several patents.  He won't crank up the engine in his car unless everyone is securely belted.  Just goes without saying   He's seen all the studies, the crash test dummies and the poor crash test chimps.

I think that's a pretty good policy. 

In California, yes they will pull you over for no seat belt.  They do it all the time.  I'm sure it's a pretty good revenue generator but I'm fine with it.   I really don't want to pay for your brain damage, and I sure don't want to pay for you letting your kids ride unbelted.

~"Tolerance does not mean accepting what is harmful."~

Timber Hawkeye