eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
missuskravitz
Community Member

Re: Seat belts- Agree or disagree?

in reply to mcflyj

If I was afraid of being a "mindless drone", I could never have held a 9 to 5 job which I've done most of my life, starting at 16.

~"Tolerance does not mean accepting what is harmful."~

Timber Hawkeye
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mcflyj

Smoking is the number one cause of death in the world, more than guns, wars, or seat belts.

Maybe in your little world, in the real world  it isn't even in the top 10.

You have the freedom of the open road, but there are restrictions.......you can't drive at whatever speed you may desire, you can't text or otherwise use a cell phone, and you can't drive unbuckled.  You do have the freedom of choice..........you can choose not to drive.

I don't recall
:Ronald Reagan
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stamphick!

stamphick! wrote:

I can remember when drivers ed was not offered in school nor required by insurance or the DMV.  Dad usually taught kids to drive. 

The best way to learn to drive!  My hubby taught mine also.  Took them out in an empty parking lot, how to park, and wouldn't let them on the road until they knew what to do in the snow, etc.  Used to make them skid, etc.  

My brother was telling me that he had to sign something and attend a class of drivers ed with his son so his son could get a learners permit.  The behind the wheel part was like 350.00 dollars.  I asked him why he didn't teach him, he has a commercial license also.  Said he didn't have the time.  

All the kids get here is 6 hours behind the wheel for that kind of money.  And the permit tests has more to do with the DUI laws and penalties than what to do at a stop sign or red light, LOL.

Go figure. 

Please use plain text.
tweedle*dee*dum
Community Member

in reply to mcflyj

mcflyj wrote:

Click it or ticket !

Take it and stick it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tweedle*dee*dum

The act of smoking is far more dangerious, hazerdious, and unsafe than not wearing a seat belt. yet it's perfectly legal. Even in areas where it's restricted or prohibited by law, that law is seldom or never enforced. Not to the degree that the seat belt law is to be sure.

Smoking is the number one cause of death in the world, more than guns, wars, or seat belts. Is the folish seat belt law really about safety? I don't think so, I think it's a way to collect fines (money) keep us under their thumb, and condision us pushing us, and our future generations into futher into slavery.

Click it or ticket !

Nice catchy slogan, Isn't it? Don't it make you want to be their mindless drone? But look at the bright side, there is a certain degree of freedom in having no freedom. With others making our choices for us, we don't have to take responsability for our own lives. On the other hand, as a whole, humanity is responsable for the loss of their humanity. We are our own worst enemys, aren't we?

Please use plain text.
tweedle*dee*dum
Community Member

in reply to mcflyj

Humanity is highly overated.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stamphick!

While I was taking the drivers ed classes, they did require that I wear a seat belt, for the class. I aagree with that requirement due to the good example it sets for new drivers to make that choice for themselves. However, a law, or laws that force us to are wrong, just wrong.

I believe that true humanity can not exist without a certain degree of freedom. I believe that wearing a seat belt is the smart thing for safety of the one doing it. I don't believe a law should force us to, I believe that if we as people buy into that lawand/or others like it, it puts our humanity in very serious danger. Makes us a world of programed slaves. Maybe by fighting these kind of rules, laws, ect, what we are really doing is holding on tight to what humanity we have left.

Please use plain text.
stamphick!
Community Member

in reply to vegasdealerjack

I can remember when drivers ed was not offered in school nor required by insurance or the DMV.  Dad usually taught kids to drive. 

It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.-- Calvin Coolidge
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jisretired2010

Not everywhere. The class room course is still in place due to parental demand. Many insurance companies give discounts for completion. Plus I believe some states require it for a lerner's permit. But the car part has been phased out in some places due to costs. I don't know where it is still taught.

Please use plain text.
jisretired2010
Community Member

in reply to vegasdealerjack

Remeber when schools taught kids to drive in cars, not classrooms

Driver's Ed is still taught in HS....in the classroom and behind the wheel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring- it was peace. Milan Kundera -
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mcflyj

I would feel uncomfortable not wearing one. That was the first thing I learned in driver training in high school? Remeber when schools taught kids to drive in cars, not classrooms. Yeh, I'm in favor of laws requiring belts. One of the few I do support. If someone wants to opt out then how about giving them the option if they sign aware the rights to long term tax supported care in the case of an accident while not wearng one. Sort along the line of what some motorcycle riders talk about with helmet laws. As airbags become more sophisticated I can see the day when seat belts won't be needed.

Please use plain text.
missuskravitz
Community Member

in reply to mcflyj

You are right in real life.  Even though we don't WANT it to happen, it DOES happen. People die in the ER waiting for care and the homeless are dumped on the side of the road beucase, where else do they live?  But for the most part, that's not what we want, and doesn't conform to the laws we pass.

Timber Hawkeye
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to missuskravitz

How do we not?  They come in to the ER unisured, or they're under-insured do you put them out on the lawn when they run out of money? 

We have actual laws that prevent ERs from turning people away as well as "dumping" them becuase as a society, we don't want to treat the sick and injured that way.

I don't know how true that is, maybe it depends on who you are. I have faced sanarios where a doctors office, as well as an ER at a hospital would refuse care, or offer insufficent care, or stall making one wait sometimes for days. No doubt in hopes that the patient would get better or die and solve their problem for them. I could give one example where an ambulance was called out but cops showed instead, and these sheriff/s proformed what one here refered to as "bleep" crime against a woman, left then denyed ever being there. But I won't give that example in detail, not here for obvious reasons at least to some.

Please use plain text.
atypicaloldgoat
Community Member

in reply to katydidthat

katydidthat wrote:
Thanks for your answer, Joani. The **bleep** was not what I typed, it is automatically replacing a word meaning a particular crime, usually carried out against women. Why it is replacing it is beyond my comprehension.

Men get bleeped in prison in this country every day.  As you say in your post, it is not just a crime against women.  Why it is generally ignored and even cheered on by *law abiding" posters and people (not you, Katy) is beyond my comprehension.

#######
The odds are never in our favor
Please use plain text.
missuskravitz
Community Member

in reply to meccaleccahimeccahineyho

I think you know that's not going to happen. Most Americans just aren't up for seeing accident victims die in the streets.

Timber Hawkeye
Please use plain text.
meccaleccahimeccahineyho
Community Member

missuskravitz wrote:

"I'd say the logical conclusion is that we shouldn't pay their medical bills."

How do we not?

The same way we didn't before EMTALA was passed in 1986.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
WISH? DID SOMEBODY SAY WISH?
Please use plain text.
missuskravitz
Community Member

in reply to meccaleccahimeccahineyho

"I'd say the logical conclusion is that we shouldn't pay their medical bills."

How do we not?  They come in to the ER unisured, or they're under-insured do you put them out on the lawn when they run out of money? 

We have actual laws that prevent ERs from turning people away as well as "dumping" them becuase as a society, we don't want to treat the sick and injured that way.

Timber Hawkeye
Please use plain text.
meccaleccahimeccahineyho
Community Member

in reply to mcflyj

mcflyj wrote:

This is what confuses me to no end, How can something be against the law but not a crime? How can anyone breaking this law not be a criminal, at least by the standards of the police and courts? At the very least it's extortion. No doubt they wouldn't even give one a jury trial for such a minor traffic offense. Do you grasp what that means? Anyone wearing a seat belt or not can be charged, oops, I mean get a ticket for it, because it's not a charge in the sense of a criminal charge, wheres the recorse? Are we supposed to pay what is it?, 200 in some states?, every time we make a personal choice they don't like?

Why don't you just plead "not guilty by reason of insanity"?

Let us know how that works out for you.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Please use plain text.
meccaleccahimeccahineyho
Community Member

missuskravitz wrote:

I disagree.  A lot of people think they're invincible.  I don't know why I should have to pay for it when it turns out they're not.

And, believe me, we all pay when they rack up millions of dollars in medical bills.

I get that some people carry that thought process to what they think is the logical conclusion (like no one can eat at McDonald's) but I don't consider that a valid argument.

I'd say the logical conclusion is that we shouldn't pay their medical bills.

Please use plain text.
meccaleccahimeccahineyho
Community Member

in reply to mcflyj

mcflyj wrote:

If by law,  I have to wear my seatbelt to save my own live, then just kill me now.

It can be arranged. Your local law enforcement authorities will be glad to oblige. After all, their purpose is to serve the public. Next time you get locked up just sleep facing the wall. It will signal them that you are ready to go.

Please use plain text.