• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
socrates349
Community Member

Re: Warning on buying certified authentic high end brand watches

in reply to socrates349

Of course, the advantage to buying on ebay is avoiding sales tax.

Please use plain text.
socrates349
Community Member

in reply to diversityimage10

I don't do watches or designer labels, but If I did I couldn't imagine buying on ebay unless it was from an established dealer with feedback of several thousand or more, preferably in the tens of thousands, related to that particular product.  For example, gold and silver collectible coins can be bought at auction on ebay cheaper than most anywhere else from an established dealer, but not that much cheaper.   

Please use plain text.
*notaregistereduser*
Community Member

in reply to jswest1995

Diversityimage10 would have known.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

There is another way of faking high end watches. Not all of the watch companies make their mechanicals. There are legitimate companies that manufacture just the insides..but to an industry standard. A certified top level Swiss movement goes wholesale for about $800. A Japanese for $300. These are then inserted in a phony case. It's a lot easier to make a knockout case and strap. If you take one to a watch service to be checked they will say it is real based on the movement. Not all know which companies don't make their own movements. Not something they advertise. Since the mark up is so high..and some cases can be of precious metals..not always detected..this is a big market. There was a company in China...now closed down.. that did knockoffs of watches, designer bags and Tiffany jewelry. They sold a Luis Vitton briefcase for $250 that retails for $2500. Perfect match down to the serial number. Supposedly one of these was shown to the factory and the workers couldn't tell it was fake.

If you want me to agree with you please send me your first and last name, your Social Security number and your mother's maiden name.
Please use plain text.
joelaughingcrow
Community Member

in reply to webuycrap

LOL, Ping!

BTW, I've sold some genuine Prada merchandise before. Of course I confirmed its authenticity with the ladies on the Purses board first.

Southern by the grace of God and gay by the grace of nature
Please use plain text.
webuycrap
Community Member

in reply to collecting*for*keeps

Maybe Craigs List will work  better you.

No, she's discerning.  That's why she uses eBay, not CL,  to purchase her used handbags and second-hand clothing.

Click here to bid on stuff that I bought somewhere else ¢ £ € ¥
disclaimer: This signature was edited by moderators. WTH?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Maybe Craigs List will work  better you.

Now I know why I don't sell.

Please use plain text.
pingdom
Community Member

in reply to *notaregistereduser*

I would never bother to rely on a meat counter clerk trying to sell filet mignon when all they ever eat is chicken or cheap cuts of beef; or like buying serious quality gemstones at the usual tourist dependent shops or small mom and pop jewelry stores without the budget to carry an extensive inventory of large carat and rare gemstones.  In fact, my own personal gemstones collection is way more valuable than most small jewelers have in their entire retail or wholesale inventory.  They are unlikely sources to ask for their expertise on anything outside their own inventory.

I've been shoppig for Rolexes on eBay for a while now, and I'm coming to the conclusion that they just cost too darm much.   Now I know why - it's because I eat chicken and cheap cuts of beef....cheap cuts of pork too. 

I also shop at rock and gem shows, so at least I'm buying stuff 80% - 90% cheaper than that jewelry store inventory that you're using to appraise the value of your collection.

Please use plain text.
*notaregistereduser*
Community Member

in reply to piggysplace

Seriously. Ebay is not the venue you are looking for. You're too good. Please don't lower yourself to our standards. It's beneath you to do so.

Please use plain text.
piggysplace
Community Member

[ Edited ]

I sold a vintage Seiko watch, does that count? I know nada about watches. 

My buyer was happy. 

As a buyer, I sure hope you know what you are buying, and me finding that vintage trinket, even though I do not know diddly squat about it, does not preclude the buyer from knowing. 

Admittedly, as a more recent eBay shopper for pre-owned high end authentic designer brands, I learned quite a bit in the process of discerning quality and authenticity solely by one dimensional photos and vendor description.  I sooned learned to increase my research, not just about the handbag item, but about the vendors, as many were not the original owners of the expensive priced handbags when new, but procured them from a train of previous vendors with equally limited knowledge, nor personal consumer experience on verifying a certifiable designer label.  Now I am aiming to buy pre-owned high end designer name brand watches to add to my modest but pricey watches bought new many years back. 

As I did more research on each brand I am aiming to eventually bid or buy, I discovered that there is another scam or deceptive tactic that cannot be legally called a knock-off, but it is possible that even new Rolex or other such brand watch buyers are still getting ripped off because they are paying as if those items are 100% certifiably authentic, but not.  These buyers will not find out until they send their watch to an authorized brand repair service, and by that time, it is too late.  More and more four digit priced fashion items when contracted to be assembled in Asia primarily China, may only 50-50 authentic.  There are projected hundreds of thousands of Rolex watches where only the cosmetics, the body of the Rolex is authentic, but the technical guts of the watches are Chinese substituted with cheaper parts and the usual low end technical applications from that country.  In other words, those engraved serial numbers guarantee replacement of the external parts of the watch, but not the soul of the watch.  The only guarantee is to buy new from a major, well established upscale catering retail store or major jewelry store catering to mostly affluent clientele with the financial resources to back up their claims of quality and authenticity.  For example, buying a Rolex, Movado, Patek Phillipe in some rural or mostly middle class suburban town or some city where its high fashion status is Sears or JC Penney's or shoe box shopping mall or similar genre is not reassuring.  Thus buying a watch even from an EBay vendor, depending where they live or if they are selling items from previous vendors or from flea markets, garage sales, church yard sales or unfamiliar estate sales is very, very risky. But there are ways to play super sleuth.

When I decide to do some serious bidding, I will want to know how much the vendor knows about identifying authentic brand watches beyond just reading the label on the watch.  It would be embarrassing for any status label buyer, even of a pre-owned watch or handbags, to take it to a professional for repairs and be told that the item is not pure this or that.  So much for trying to show off by wearing something with a seemingly upscale status label when even a neighborhood jeweler or cobbler can spot the difference.

If a vendor is not sure if an item is 100% authentic or not, that vendor should refrain from claiming the brand name.  Just because some idiot or schemer slaps a sign reading apples in front of a bin of onions, does not make those onions taste like apples.  When shopping in person, we know the differences immediately, but one dimensional photos are not always reliable, nor are the vendors'  expertise. 

However, to be fair, it is easier for EBay to protect our interests as buyers if we are educated, discerning, personally experienced and verbally communicative when making claims of fraud, deception and other disappointments after receiving the items. I am lucky as I live in one of this world's most famous cities known for attracting a prolific number of couture, exclusive patron, and other elite high end boutiques and major retail stores as sources for comparison.  It is naive. and fools no one of affluent social substance to pass off and pay for a pre-owned knock-off or Asian assembled 50-50 authentic for the same price as a pre-owned100% designer label certifiable authentic. I am not shy about asking the vendors for their own history with the merchandise which helps me determine if they are selling high end labels but shop at KMart or Kohs' or JCPenney's stuff for themselves.  I would never bother to rely on a meat counter clerk trying to sell filet mignon when all they ever eat is chicken or cheap cuts of beef; or like buying serious quality gemstones at the usual tourist dependent shops or small mom and pop jewelry stores without the budget to carry an extensive inventory of large carat and rare gemstones.  In fact, my own personal gemstones collection is way more valuable than most small jewelers have in their entire retail or wholesale inventory.  They are unlikely sources to ask for their expertise on anything outside their own inventory. 

I thank Ebay for protecting me on the rare occasions when I felt cheated and ripped off by vendors who should stick to hometown garage sales or flea markets.  Their own limited experiences perhaps precludes them from realizing the breadth, depth, and diversity of buyers using EBay.  On the other hand, it has been a sheer pleasure buying merchandise from many vendors whom, I felt assured, were knowledgeably qualified to sell what I bought from them, and they know who they are as I always let them know after giving them a five star rating.

Please use plain text.