cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft ends support for Windows XP, Dangerous?

Microsoft ends support for Windows XP, Dangerous?

[ Edited ]

Are you still using Windows XP? are you going to replace it? Are hackers going to have a field day?

Full News story MS ends XP support

Brief from same news article

SEATTLE -- Microsoft says the time has come for users of Windows XP to upgrade and retire the old computer its running on...

The April 8 end of support means automatic security updates, bug fixes and essential changes to the operating system from Microsoft for XP users will end.  Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP, as well and updates for Office 2003.

An XP computer will still work after April 8, but Microsoft says it might become vulnerable to security risks, malware attacks and viruses.

Tech blogs have alluded to a possibility of a flood of virus attacks beginning April 9 because hackers know Microsoft won't do anything to plug any more holes in XP...

I started at the top and worked my way down...Orson Welles
60 REPLIES

Re: Microsoft ends support for Windows XP, Dangerous?

Microsoft released Windows XP all the way back in 2001.  You would think that they would have gotten it right by now and they wouldn't have to keep updating it due to bugs and security holes.

I still run WIndows XP on my main system, but I have a Windows 8 system as well.  I rarely use the Win 8 system because I hate the OS so much.  I will continue to use Win XP until it stops working, but I'll make sure that my Win 8 system is up and running 100% by April 8th just in case. 

Rockstar

in reply to

I'm running XP as well.  I hate changing OSs...  and don't do it until websites stop working well with it. mad photo t2616.gif

Seems like it takes a couple years for a new OS to become reasonably stable.  My computer system is also about 6 years old, so I'll probably have to update that as well....  not something I look forward to.

I also run a very good firewall

grumpy photo grumpy.jpg

Daisypath Christmas tickers

in reply to

I have 2 PC's running on XP, love it.

My main PC has Vista, I hate it.

I'm actually (right now) getting all my files ready to back up for a windows 7 install, next couple of days.

I located 53 GB worth of files so far, lol...well it's really not that funny but rather a pain in the butt.

I'll more than likely do an upgrade to a supported OS if PC's running XP right now can handle it.

FYI, mircosoft does have a program that can ckeckout your pc prior to purchase.

***********************************************I'm amusing myself~WARd**************************************************************************

in reply to

Hi Sheba, must you splatter your pics all over the place?

I really do like them, been meaning to tell ya.Smiley Happy

***********************************************I'm amusing myself~WARd**************************************************************************
Trailblazer

The April 8 end of support means automatic security updates, bug fixes and essential changes to the operating system from Microsoft for XP users will end. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP, as well and updates for Office 2003.

You will need to make a back up of XP, because after April 8 if your hard drive goes south, you then install XP on a new drive you will not be able to get any updates, no SP1, no SP2, zip, zero, from micros*-it.

I bought a new hard drive and used norton ghost to copy the old drive onto the new drive, when the old drive goes out, I’ll just pop the old drive out and the new drive in and I’m back going like nothing ever happened, all my programs, favs, and the latest/last updates will all be there.

===========================
===========================
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Rockstar

in reply to

markedward65 wrote:

Hi Sheba, must you splatter your pics all over the place?

I really do like them, been meaning to tell ya.Smiley Happy

Aw, Thank  you....

blush photo blusingeyes.gif

Rockstar

in reply to

You will need to make a back up of XP, because after April 8 if your hard drive goes south, you then install XP on a new drive you will not be able to get any updates, no SP1, no SP2, zip, zero,

Yep, I have an external hard drive that is a clone, so if I have a hard drive failure, I'm OK....

computer photo typingcat-1.gif

Rockstar

Thanks for the warning Rules.  

I heard about this a few months ago and am saddened by it.  I run XP-Pro on 2 desktops and XP-Home on a smaller desktop - and LOVE it.  It is simple and straightforward.  I will continue to use it until them until they can't be used any more. And I will continue to try and save all data possible in the meantime.  I had an external 3-T data unit as someone else mentioned, but it crashed last month and am still waiting for Seagate to replace it.  I hope it comes in before I am forced by lack of time to get this work done.  At least I had that one backed up to another one, so I did not cry over it.

One laptop we have has 8.1 touch screen, the kids (high school ages) use 7 on their's and this one runs Vista.  Have gotten used to Vista and have not experienced any major issues that have not been figured out, either by friends or myself.  So while not perfect, it's workable with a few flaws here and there.  While the 8.1 is better than 8, it takes quite a bit of relearning things.  And 7, I never cared for at all, but the teens like it.

We still have (and occasionally use) some older PC's - the 98 and the ME.  Some of the data and programs on those systems have never been compatible with the upgrades and have never been able to transfer some of the data or programs.  I have one digital camera that will only work on the XP.  Especially the stuff still on the hard-floppy's is going to be hard to lose (all 3 XP's have the hard floppy drive).  Looks like on top of eBay, taxes, and other stuff demanding my attention these days, March is going to be a busy month as it seems I must give these older systems some serious attention.

Heck, we still have 2 working Commodore systems, and a working Vic.  (Not to mention the old game units in the house which are working and in use - the original Nintendo, the Atari and the Baily!) Yes, I am a dinosaur I reckon, unless it's broken, it get's used.

Funny, the Commodore's were both onlne through dial-up modems, with a tape back up... they have survived 2 house fires and a flood (along with the big, soft floppy's), and have NEVER gotten sick (caught a virus), and have never crashed a program, erroneously erased data or failed to power-up when the switch gets turned on.  Amazing reliability.

Why can't anyone say the same about Windows?

=====================================
Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Travel safely. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously.

in reply to

Both of our computers use Win 7 which I like.  I do miss XP, which was my favorite and the only one for which I have the disk.

photo 2296388f-feb1-48d2-9555-475e062b3333.jpg
To Everything, There is a Season...

in reply to

i dont't know much about computers, my son always comes over and updates them for me.  He affectionately calls me Typhoid Mary. According to him,  i get tricked into downloading things , that slow down my computer.   I swear  i don't do this on purpose.   It seems no matter how careful i am, i still do it.  

Anyway, he surprised me last week with a Mac Computer, so i'm trying to adjust to it's gigantic screen. i am assuming i don't have to worry about Windows Xp. 

Think and Wonder, Wonder and Think ~ Dr. Seuss
Adventurer

in reply to

fatquarters4sale wrote:

i dont't know much about computers, my son always comes over and updates them for me.  He affectionately calls me Typhoid Mary. According to him,  i get tricked into downloading things , that slow down my computer.   I swear  i don't do this on purpose.   It seems no matter how careful i am, i still do it.  

Anyway, he surprised me last week with a Mac Computer, so i'm trying to adjust to it's gigantic screen. i am assuming i don't have to worry about Windows Xp. 

You do Pinterest. It's a Windows killer. It will slow your whole system. Like driving your car through mud. Once you get your Mac up and going you should notice a big difference.

Adventurer

in reply to

The global installed base of PCs at the end of 2013 will be 1.63 billion units. By that reckoning, Windows XP is currently installed on at least 500 million computers and almost certainly used by over a billion people.

Large companies have the option to pay Microsoft for dedicated support. $200 per desktop for year one, $400 for year two and $800 for a third year. This is only available to the biggest of the big. You have to be a premier level Microsoft customer.

Eighty-five per cent of PCs in Britain’s National Health Service are still running Windows XP. The NHS in England is one of the world’s largest employers, with 1.7 million staffers.

Demand breeds innovation. Several entrepreneurs have been working on a fee based system offering security upgrades once Microsoft no longer does.

in reply to

pee*wee*herman wrote:

fatquarters4sale wrote:

You do Pinterest. It's a Windows killer. It will slow your whole system. Like driving your car through mud. Once you get your Mac up and going you should notice a big difference.

lol,  ok you just scared me and i had to look behind me, to see if you were in the room.

am i now typing this  on my mac or my pc? 

Think and Wonder, Wonder and Think ~ Dr. Seuss

in reply to

Hi Paul!

Thrill-Seeker

“Microsoft says the time has come for users of Windows XP to upgrade and retire the old computer its running on...”

planned obsolescence—I don’t pay much attention to what MS says

They gonna subsidize the HW/SW upgrades?

XP is/was one, if not the one, most stable OS.  

in reply to

Personally I like 7. I have had the best luck with it. XP was OK. I wouldn't install 8 for anything.

For people that hate the look of 8 there is a program you can install to make it look like XP, 7, whatever.

It is called Classic Shell. I put it on my Dad's computer for him. He has 8 and hated it. Now it looks just like his old XP machine. He was very happy with it.  It gets rid of the stupid Metro interface. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am sure glad the forums have spell-check or I would look even dumber Smiley Happy

in reply to

grab-bag-goodies wrote:

Microsoft released Windows XP all the way back in 2001.  You would think that they would have gotten it right by now and they wouldn't have to keep updating it due to bugs and security holes.

I still run WIndows XP on my main system, but I have a Windows 8 system as well.  I rarely use the Win 8 system because I hate the OS so much.  I will continue to use Win XP until it stops working, but I'll make sure that my Win 8 system is up and running 100% by April 8th just in case. 

Hello GBG.  I'm with you, don't like Windows 8 much - but it's partly because I hate change!

Computers are my livelihood, so I have to learn it, though.  It's getting better as I go.

As far as the need to continually update, look at it this way - computers and the software they run have to have open or at least secure ports to talk to other computers on the web - there's no way around that.

And the evil little snots who love to write malicious code to screw them up never rest.  And since they crave attention they target the most popular operating systems.  XP was popular for a long time.

I like Windows 7 a lot - it is more secure than XP, partly because User Account Control asks you (annoyingly and) continually, "Do you want to allow this or that"?

I moved to Windows 7 a couple years ago at home and never looked back.  The support for that O/S will be around for a while.

Like it or not, it is time to move on.  Windows 8 is nothing more than a timely response to the demands of the marketplace.  We may not like it now, but eventually the hardware and the cloud will require such an O/S, or at least work much better with it.

The computing world will always change, because the market demands it, and because technology always moves forward.

To answer the question in the OP - yes, Windows XP will become more and more vulnerable to attack now that support has stopped. That was already the case for the last couple years or so.  There is no incentive for Microsoft or anyone else to keep propping it up - it's nearly obsolete, and eventually won't play well with the hardware that demands the functionality of the newest O/S.

At one time we all loved Windows 98, too - but it couldn't possibly run the hardware or handle the 'net now.  XP is no different.   In 10 years, Windows 8 will be a memory, too.

#######
Appreciative of second chances!
Trailblazer

in reply to

I have XP Pro on all my systems. Have Windows 7 on 1 laptop and I really don't like it at all. I literally cannot stand Windows 8. IMO, useless, bloated, geared for kids and play, etc.

When XP goes away finally, I am going to have to buy at least 3 new desktop systems and 1 more laptop, simply because the hardware isn't compatible with Windows 7 or 8.

Don't know why techno geeks can't leave things alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Rockstar

in reply to

Don't know why techno geeks can't leave things alone.

How else are they going to get people to spring for over a hundred dollars?

photo bang-head-on-desk.gif