eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
18704d
Community Member

Re: Microsoft ends support for Windows XP, Dangerous?

in reply to ipickubuy

I hope anyone so inclined to try.. or learn more about Linux (Ubuntu)

can go to the New to eBay board and join the chats there.

Eathray frequents those discussions and can offer excellant advice and guidance.

New to eBay Board

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum/New-To-Ebay/120

:womanhappy:

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Please use plain text.
ipickubuy
Community Member

in reply to eathray

Thanks for posting this thread, and for all the info provided.  

********************************************************************************

The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose.

For the sake of others, please learn CPR. You could save a life.

Please use plain text.
eathray
Community Member

in reply to kaboobee69

kaboobee69 wrote:

I think a virus in Linux is just a possible as in windows.

I dropped by this thread because my fellow Linux user Lynn mentioned it.

This quoted statement is not at all accurate.

There are numerous structural differences between Windows and Linux that make Linux inherently safer. Here are a few examples: In general, the end-user in Linux has no access to the kernel. As a rule, remote and automated executables are not allowed in Linux. Software in Linux typically requires root approval for any alterations to the file system. Many distributions live-boot from a cd or squash file, which is to say that a fresh, unaltered copy of the system is loaded on each boot. Most libs and supporting files used by software in Linux systems are open-source and shared files that are not hide-able or protect-able (meaning viruses have no real secure location to be placed and hidden to masquerade as real files). Many Linux distributions do not allow the browser or porting software to have access to the main file directory but restrict access to a sub-directory. In general, open-source software is safer because vulnerabilities and exploits are easily spotted and corrected by both professional and amateur developers around the world very quickly. There are no coding secrets in the Linux community, and therefore no real way to effectively hide pernicious code.

These are just a few of many reasons why structurally, Linux is vastly more secure than Windows. I switched to Linux about 7 or so years ago, and since I made that switch, I have not had a single virus... not even a browser hijacker.

Eathray

photo Tuxebo-Signature.jpg
Please use plain text.
mrs*madea
Community Member

in reply to kaboobee69

Or buy a MAC

I can't believe all the garbage people download with Windows.  No wonder they're slow.

So thankful we don't have to do that.

Please use plain text.
kaboobee69
Community Member

in reply to rules_of_acquisition

I look at it this way, run a good anti-virus / anti-malware, (Malware Bytes) stay off of "questionable" web sites. Do not click on links in an email unless you are certain of what it is. Use web mail for even more protection. I think if you just follow those guidelines, your chances of getting a virus are near zero. The only one I know who ever gets a virus or malware are people like my Mom who keep clicking on things they shouldn't in email. Usually every few months I have to go clean her computer out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am sure glad the forums have spell-check or I would look even dumber :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
rules_of_acquisition
Community Member

[ Edited ]

I've been stressing on this quiet a bit.

• Do I keep Windows XP?

• Buy a new computer with Windows 8?

• Do I install a Linux operating system?

• Is there really a threat after Windows XP support ends?

I've been reading and many computer sites say yes, get rid of Windows XP, it will be vulnerable.

You would think by now all the security holes in XP have already been patched by MS (Microsoft). And yet every few weeks or so, I get a download notice from MS saying 'there are critical updates needed'. I believe these updates aren't so critical but give MS a chance to gather data from our computers about which MS products we use.

Am I to believe that last weeks security patch had been a security hole in XP for over 13 years and MS just now got around to fixing it? Am I suppose to believe that hackers are so dumb that they couldn't find this security hole for 13 years?

Remeber when MS ended support for Windows 98, 98SE and Millenium? There wasn't all this talk about hackers having a field day, stealing all of our information.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but Microsoft has shown themselves to be an aggressive business when it comes to profits. I think this is more about profits.

I started at the top and worked my way down...Orson Welles
Please use plain text.
kaboobee69
Community Member

in reply to rebootusehammer

The computer I just built is an AM3+ but I put an AM3 Phanom II 965 in it. Got it on eBay :smileyhappy: I have it OC'd to 4.2 ghz stable on water. Fast as hell. Paired with a SSD, it is amazing. No need for more.

Lynn, thanks for the info.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am sure glad the forums have spell-check or I would look even dumber :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
18704d
Community Member

in reply to kaboobee69

I have been looking around and Linux Mint may be a good chouce for a home PC. It has the codecs for MP3's, movies, etc in the install. Here is a site with a whole list of distros

--------

Good post.

After I first installed Ubuntu, I was told to do this:

google:

things to do after installing ubuntu

and you'll see some very basic updates/installs so you have all necessary audio and video codecs.. and more.

Lynn

Please use plain text.
18704d
Community Member

in reply to kaboobee69

Good to know. I have thought about going to Linux, but the programs just do not seem to be there for it., unless you just want to do the basics.
-------

Here you go:

The Linux Alternative Project

http://www.linuxalt.com/

Or just google something like:

Ubuntu alternatives to Windows programs.

Lynn

Please use plain text.
rebootusehammer
Community Member

in reply to kaboobee69

I have already bought 2 new CPU’s for when this one goes, so I’m good for another 10 years at least.

===========================
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Please use plain text.
kaboobee69
Community Member

rebootusehammer wrote:

I’m also not to happy with AMD, this last computer I built has am MSI motherboard that is suppose to last 40 years, it is 4 or 5 years old and AMD doesn’t make the CPU for it anymore, it is a socket 3, they have moved up to a socket 3+, and the 3+ will not work in a 3, nice.

The entire computer industry is nothing but one big ripoff, it would be like buying a new car and they stop making parts for it after 2 years.

Go on eBay and buy an AM3 processor. Phanom 2 or somthing. Or buy an Intel. Then every time they change the processor slightly they change the socket, unlike AMD. An AM3 board will never be able to supply the power the new FX processors need. Just stick with a Phanom 2 965. Better than any 4 core FX anyway.

Please use plain text.
rebootusehammer
Community Member

I’m also not to happy with AMD, this last computer I built has am MSI motherboard that is suppose to last 40 years, it is 4 or 5 years old and AMD doesn’t make the CPU for it anymore, it is a socket 3, they have moved up to a socket 3+, and the 3+ will not work in a 3, nice.

The entire computer industry is nothing but one big ripoff, it would be like buying a new car and they stop making parts for it after 2 years.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Please use plain text.
rebootusehammer
Community Member

in reply to sheba*

Not a chance. They want you to buy the upgraded system.

And most times you have to get all new software for the new OS, mo money, mo money, mo money for poor Bill.

I’m done with microsuper ripoff, my next OS will be Linux.

Please use plain text.
kaboobee69
Community Member

rules_of_acquisition wrote:

I'm posting with Ubuntu OS right now, it's very differernt! I downloaded from Lynn's like what is called a LiveCD (actually burned to a DVD) it runs in my CD/DVD drive and it like a trial run as it does not change anything on my hardrive. 

I learned that there are many good Linux OS that are free and all have different names, some look very much like Windows XP.  I think I'll try some more.

I have been looking around and Linux Mint may be a good chouce for a home PC. It has the codecs for MP3's, movies, etc in the install. Here is a site with a whole list of distros

http://distrowatch.com/

Please use plain text.
sheba*
Community Member

in reply to mcflyj

mcflyj wrote:

Courious, If Microsoft is no longer supporting this operating system, are they willing to give up any and all rights to it, make it open source for others to use and improve on, or modify to fit their needs? Allow XP to branch out to become new operating systems.

Not a chance.  They want you to buy the upgraded system.

photo compurercat8.jpg

Please use plain text.
kayrom1
Community Member

in reply to grab-bag-goodies

Thanks, grab. I'll show your post to the computer-savvy 16-year-old in the house and see if he knows what to do. I miss my Zune terribly -- it has a ton of memory, and I loved not having to worry about filling it up like an iPod or my phone.

Please use plain text.
rules_of_acquisition
Community Member

in reply to mcflyj

Microsoft is the MACHINE, they make us turn the wheels.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Courious, If Microsoft is no longer supporting this operating system, are they willing to give up any and all rights to it, make it open source for others to use and improve on, or modify to fit their needs? Allow XP to branch out to become new operating systems.

Step in sign up branch out, learn grow & help out.. Fun Factor
. Now there's a choice in chat, factor that
Please use plain text.
pat_con_1
Community Member

Lynn, sorry I didn't reply sooner but I have been busy all day long.

Thank you for the Ubunto links and info. I will set up a USB drive with it and if needed, burn a bootable DVD.

If it works as you say, I may just be "saved" from a lot of trouble.

Please use plain text.
rules_of_acquisition
Community Member

I'm posting with Ubuntu OS right now, it's very differernt! I downloaded from Lynn's like what is called a LiveCD (actually burned to a DVD) it runs in my CD/DVD drive and it like a trial run as it does not change anything on my hardrive. 

I learned that there are many good Linux OS that are free and all have different names, some look very much like Windows XP.  I think I'll try some more.

Please use plain text.