eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
bertrambabe2010
Community Member

Re: How many people have signed up for Obamacare?

in reply to possum_kitty

I think it was Reagan's fault since the phones began under him.

The program as it exists today was created over a decade ago by an act of Congress, the Telecommunications Act of 1996. A version of the Lifeline program was already in operation as far back as the early 1980s.

SIGNATURE

"In the 13 months that I've been in the Senate, it has become apparent to me that the single thing that Republicans fear the most -- and that is when they're forced to tell the truth. It makes their heads explode," Ted Cruz 2/13/14

Please use plain text.
bertrambabe2010
Community Member

in reply to *notaregistereduser*

Half a quote again, LOL.

Must be another one of those IOKIYAR kind of things.

SIGNATURE

"In the 13 months that I've been in the Senate, it has become apparent to me that the single thing that Republicans fear the most -- and that is when they're forced to tell the truth. It makes their heads explode," Ted Cruz 2/13/14

Please use plain text.
possum_kitty
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to bertrambabe2010

that launched in 1985, under Ronald Reagan'sadministration.

ya me had a cell phone in 85 2 

ragen da man

Reverend Possum Kitty says:
Silly humans, given the gift of self control only to squander it and act like animals.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to runaway2da

You may be spending far better than the government (in your mind), but you WOULDN'T have it without government.

As one who grew up poor, but without government handouts - worked my way through college with only a small loan my senior year- worked hard while paying all taxes required by the government - lived within our means while setting aside for our later years - paid for both our kids and grandkids educations - helped support elderly family members - just what wouldn't I have without our spendthrift government that my tax dollars have helped to support?  Should I be thankful that they didn't take a bigger chunk of my earnings?? 

There is not a doubt in my mind that we have and will continue to do more good on a small scale with our resources than the government will do with theirs on a large scale.   

My parents were poor all their lives - as a result they actually knew how to live on Social Security and the $50 per month pension Pop got.  They could have qualified for food stamps, but they didn't need them.  They could even pay for the cigarettes that eventually killed them both.  Of course, they never bought a new car or every electronic gadget imaginable.  They had one TV, one radio, and a landline phone.  They took care of each other during medical crises with help from family and friends.   When Pop passed away and Mom had her final battle with cancer - again family pitched in and hired a caregiver to help out.   The nursing home was the last resort. 

There are some conditions like alzheimers that require nursing home care once it has progressed beyond the early stages both for the safety of the patient and the sanity of the family - strokes that result in the inability to eat or immobility are another (although a good medical directive would have prevented them from being kept alive with no hope of recovery). There are other conditions such as cancer that can be treated in the home environment with the aid of home health or hospice care - much less costly than nursing homes.  And there are many really nice hospice homes being built with private donations to care for cancer patients in their final days with family around them. 

The unfortunate thing is there are too many winding up in nursing homes because there they have no other alternative - no family or friends - they are the ones that generally adjust the best simply because of human contact.  And yes, there are also those that aren't availed of nursing home care and are abused or neglected in their homes either because no one advocates for them or because family members don't want their "inheritance" to be eaten up paying for medical care. 

However, the resources have been there to take care of the poor and elderly long before Obamacare came along - at least since the early 1990s.  More government spending will do little to change human behavior.  It will take people that are willing to volunteer their time and skills - to identify and advocate on an individual basis for those who need help in their community - to make things better.     

The more the federal government is willing to spend - the more the unscrupulous will be there to take a cut.  The support systems for Medicare and Medicaid need to be fixed before expansion takes place or programs are cut - Obamacare does not do that.  It adds another entitlement when what we currently have needs to work without all the fraud and waste and be made fiscally sustainable.  The "noble sentiments" have rushed ahead of what is structurally or fiscally feasible. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kathieskorner

Of course, they never bought a new car or every electronic gadget imaginable.  They had one TV, one radio, and a landline phone.  They took care of each other during medical crises with help from family and friends.  

I grew up with one used car, one TV, one radio, and a landline.  We never considered ourselves poor.  At all.

I got very sick as a teen.  Mom and dad sold the car to pay my medicals bills and fly me to CA to see the doctors I needed to see.  That wouldn't work out so well today.  Selling a used car wouldn't begin to cover the costs. 

Any suggestion that we are facing the same expenses we did years ago is unrealistic IMO.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nacra43

Also want to add....I do NOT want or expect my kids to house me and or take care of me ever. 

SO and I will provide for ourselves and exit gracefully.   We raised and educated our children, left them with no debt and ask that they do the same for their kids.  But no way do we expect them to take care of us.  Ever. 

Please use plain text.
jisretired2010
Community Member

in reply to nacra43

nacra, she lives in an alternate universe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring- it was peace. Milan Kundera -
Please use plain text.
bertrambabe2010
Community Member

in reply to jisretired2010

jisretired2010 wrote:

On a planet, far, far away............

SIGNATURE

Please use plain text.
fatquarters4sale
Community Member

in reply to bertrambabe2010

HERE ARE THE APPLICATION NUMBER FOR 12 OF THE  14 STATES RUNNING THERE OWN  HEALTH INSURANCE EXCHANGES

FOR THE FIRST WEEK  REPORTING FROM  5TH -10TH OF OCTOBER..

CALIFORNIA             43,600      

COLORADO                8,400          

CONNENTCUT           8,000     

MARYLAND             13, 532       

MASSACHUSETTS    7,553

NEW YORK              60,300

NEVADA                    3, 654

OREGON                   1,337

RHODE ISLAND         2,929

VERMONT                  4,200

WASHINGTON         39,000

WASHINGTON D.C  . 8,427

THE GOVERMENT RUN EXCHANGES, HAVE  51,000  PEOPLE WHO COMPLETED ENROLLMENT WITH  90% OF THOSE PULLED STATING THEY WERE UNABLE TO COMPLETE ENROLLMENT DUE TO WEBSITE SERVERS  CRASHING. 

Please use plain text.
runaway2da
Community Member

in reply to fatquarters4sale

fatquarters4sale wrote:

HERE ARE THE APPLICATION NUMBER FOR 12 OF THE  14 STATES RUNNING THERE OWN  HEALTH INSURANCE EXCHANGES

MASSACHUSETTS    7,553

WASHINGTON D.C  . 8,427

THE GOVERMENT RUN EXCHANGES, HAVE  51,000  PEOPLE WHO COMPLETED ENROLLMENT WITH  90% OF THOSE PULLED STATING THEY WERE UNABLE TO COMPLETE ENROLLMENT DUE TO WEBSITE SERVERS  CRASHING. 

Out of the state run

Can you tell out of those figures. How many signed up that were below the poverty level and only signed up because of the subsidize?

If the rush to sign up is only because it's another handout as it shows higher figures in states that have problems with social benefit programs. The numbers are telling.

------------------------------------------

~The result of shielding men from their follies is filling the world with fools.~

~ There are as many paths as there are people to walk them, and that each person is the best judge of which path they will walk at any given time.~
Please use plain text.
possum_kitty
Community Member

in reply to runaway2da

Where do these numbers come from?  When you post stats and other peoples work, you are supposed to source it. Or maybe I'm just being trivial over people taking credit for stuff that is not their work, or quite possibly just made up stuff. 

Reverend Possum Kitty says:
Silly humans, given the gift of self control only to squander it and act like animals.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to runaway2da

Interesting that there are so many from Massachusetts signed up so soon - must be for those federal subsidies - not because they are uninsured. 

Please use plain text.
runaway2da
Community Member

kathieskorner wrote:

Interesting that there are so many from Massachusetts signed up so soon - must be for those federal subsidies - not because they are uninsured. 

CA is a dead give away that it's for the subsidies.

If the only people that sign up are the ones looking for something for nothing.

The fine, tax or what every they want to call it. Isn't going to cover the cost of the paperwork.

Here we go again.

Another program of handouts that the Government will have to pull funds out of the general fund to keep a float.

~The result of shielding men from their follies is filling the world with fools.~

~ There are as many paths as there are people to walk them, and that each person is the best judge of which path they will walk at any given time.~
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to runaway2da

Actually I'll be spending four days this week in my alternate universe with my 92 year old aunt.   No internet, no computer,  basic 4 major network TV, only local newspapers - you have to go out by the interstate for a USA Today.  A place where WalMart workers are happy to have their jobs, and WalMart is a welcome and active part of the community.  Where few really care about Obamacare - where many have either relied on Medicare or Medicaid or paid for their own medical expenses with the help of a monthly payment plan or charities and fund raisers if needed.  Where churches have banded together to run the local foodbank and thrift store, provide free meals, and help those in need with rent, clothing or gas cards.  Where what is happening in Washington is rarely of interest, and politicians are viewed with suspicion.    Where many are still self-sufficient and believe in taking care of their own - where neigbors look out for neighbors.    Where it is often difficult to tell the wealthy from the poor. 

The only downside is the invasion of the meth labs and drug dealers over the past 3-4 years because police forces are small and not very experienced with the drug scene - also resulting in a spike in other crime.   Heck there wasn't even a liquor store until 2001 - closest one was 15 miles away.

Please use plain text.
*notaregistereduser*
Community Member

in reply to fatquarters4sale

fatquarters4sale wrote:

MASSACHUSETTS    7,553

WASHINGTON D.C  . 8,427

Why would anybody in Massachusetts want Obamacare? I thought they already had it.

Please use plain text.
runaway2da
Community Member

*notaregistereduser* wrote:

fatquarters4sale wrote:

MASSACHUSETTS    7,553

WASHINGTON D.C  . 8,427

Why would anybody in Massachusetts want Obamacare? I thought they already had it.

Silly!

They don't have the subsidize program that the federal Government has.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to runaway2da

Interesting interview on CNBC today with the CEO of Aetna who was on the task force responsible for the federal health insurance exchange development.  According to him there was a five stage testing program, but because deadlines were not being met - testing was "done on the fly".  In other words the entire system - not just the federal website - was not tested.  When asked if it would be fully operational by January 1 - he said no - that was the reason enrollment was extended to March 31st.  

He also said that the non-functional website may result in many not signing up at all especially the more tech savvy younger group who tend to have little patience with technology that does not work properly. 

The healthy should really check out the HSA/HDHP combined coverage in their state and compare it to what is being offered by the health insurance exchanges before making a decision.  Of course,  these plans are not being given any media, government,  or insurance company coverage - like Medicare Advantage plans they were originally targeted for elimination by Obamacare.

Please use plain text.
runaway2da
Community Member

Unintended circumstances of Obamacare?

I saw an interview on the news this morning with a woman that owned a business that she just started up during the time the economy had bottomed out.

She now has 18 full time workers and 400 part time works. The full time had very generous healthcare benefits and the part time were given a choice to join a group plan.

Under Obamacare the 400 employees are now considered 200 full time employees and she's required to insure them or pay the fine.

The 18 full time are going to lose their insurance because under Obamacare. All employees are required to be treated the same.

Obamacare could easily put her out of business.

Please use plain text.
*notaregistereduser*
Community Member

in reply to runaway2da

Personally I think that Obamacare is going to be the least of our problems now that the Federal government's ineptitude in cyber implementation has been exposed. I can assure you that the cyber warriors are on the sidelines gearing up as we speak. I just hope that the ignoramuses who contrived this mess are smart enough to start circling the wagons. I'm quite sure that an attack is imminent.

Please use plain text.
beadle_eze
Community Member

People who make too much money to qualify for Medicaid, but too little to pay for health insurance signing up for subsidies.   Imagine that!  I feel a good ole fashioned fit of cynicism coming on.

beadle_eze as beadle does
Please use plain text.