eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

*notaregistereduser*
Community Member

Re: How many people have signed up for Obamacare?

in reply to daltvila420

daltvila420 wrote:

If we didn't have a "Military Presence" in 150+ foreign countries; we could likely afford "Noble Sentiments" while also being in touch with "Fiscal Realities."

daltvila420 wrote:
I see "Community" on a global scale.  Your "Fellow Man" may not be your next-door neighbor.

????????

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to runaway2da

I'm with you, auntiem. 

As I have stated before for the past four years I visit one or two nursing homes every month with my 92 yr old aunt who has many friends in them.   The ones in my aunt's community are depressing places - my aunt prays that she dies in her own home - in her own bed - not in one of those.  My mother was able to stay in her home until the last week of her life when she required more care than was available.

Fortunately, my aunt is in relatively good health - I make the 250 mile trip once a month to check on her,  pay a lady to help her two mornings per week, and set her up with a medical alert system.  The church ladies see to it that she gets to church functions, and her neighbor checks in with her every morning and evening.  I tried to get her to come to Richmond and either live with us or in an assisted living facility when my uncle died, but she refused.  She wants to stay in her own home - her church is a big part of her life -  and I will make that possible as long as I can.   She has very little savings left, but owns her own home, has pre-paid her funeral, and has managed well only on Social Security for the past five years.  She deserves to live her remaining life as she chooses. 

I've been in some very nice assisted living facilities and continuing care communities,  but they are generally private pay.  Most of the nursing homes especially those that accept Medicare and Medicaid patients are nowhere near as nice - the institutional smell is what I find most disturbing.   

Living in an elderly community - a number of my neighbors have with the help of family, neighbors, friends, home health, and hospice been able to remain in their homes until the end (six funerals to date in 2013) - so far only one lady with alzheimers has had to go into a nursing home.     Not only is it more humane, but it is less costly.  There are plenty of help resources available - nursing homes should only be a last resort.  But the problem is that the younger generations are often too self-absorbed to even help out with members of their own family so we have a "neighbors helping neighbors" program for our community.  None of us see it as the government's job. 

Please use plain text.
auntiem71
Community Member

in reply to daltvila420

Has anyone ever REALLY visited a nursing home? I mean REALLY? Most of the people are there praying for death.

I've been volunteering at a local nursing home for many years- and your perception is far from the experiences I've seen.

Most of the residents ask, "What's for breakfast?"  They're not praying for death.

Have you really visited a nursing home?

Yes, I have really visited nursing homes. You go to the privately owned, super expensive ones and you see people who are still very mobile, but are there because the kids don't want to deal with them. More of like going to an exclusive spa.

Then you visited the local or state owned ones. People with no money to afford the best care. Yes, there are some who can still thrive no matter the circumstances. But most have given up all hope.

I have a friend in a nursing home right now. He's been there about 2 years. He's in a wheelchair, but has a sound mind. He has a well off sister and brother. The brother has a huge home as does the sister. So, why isn't my friend living with one of them? He's just sitting there in the home rotting away. I go to visit him once a week. I walk down the hall to his room, passing by rooms full of the old and unwanted.

When my Mom became ill, she came to live with me. Never once did I consider a nursing home for her. Never once did I regret caring for her. Mom belonged to me. She was my family. I cared for her until she died.

COMMON SENSE! Use it Well! Use it Often!
Please use plain text.
daltvila420
Community Member

in reply to auntiem71

Has anyone ever REALLY visited a nursing home? I mean REALLY? Most of the people are there praying for death.

I've been volunteering at a local nursing home for many years- and your perception is far from the experiences I've seen.

Most of the residents ask, "What's for breakfast?"  They're not praying for death.

Have you really visited a nursing home?

Please use plain text.
auntiem71
Community Member

in reply to daltvila420

I paid into Social Security & Medicare my whole working life. Kind of an investment. I let the government use my money. I let them collect interest on that money.  When I reach that magic 62, I expect my money to be returned to me via monthly installments.

If I should have a major illness or accident, then I will pay for it myself ( as I have always done). All hospitals, doctors, etc will gladly accept monthly payments.

A nursing home for me? Not likely. Believe it or not, that is what family is for.  I think people have forgotten what family is. Shove old Auntie in a home so they don't have to take care of them. What a hell of a way to die. I would rather they let me die at home, possibly a few years sooner, than to relalize that no one cared enough about me to help.

Has anyone ever REALLY visited a nursing home? I mean REALLY? Most of the people are there praying for death. They lay there and wait. And sometimes, they will even get an occasional visit from their family!  I bet that will hold them over for another few months, don't you think?

COMMON SENSE! Use it Well! Use it Often!
Please use plain text.
daltvila420
Community Member

in reply to piggysplace

And why should I pay for healthcare for my mortal enemy...

I don't see any mortal enemies.

Please use plain text.
daltvila420
Community Member

in reply to piggysplace

Most churches require some sort of effort on the beneficiary of the kindness...

Really? A requirement of effort on  the part of the beneficiary, somehow takes something away from the "giving" angle.

Giving should be given without any expectation of return.

"Church" has nothing to do with charity. In fact, "Church" often blurs the lines.

Please use plain text.
piggysplace
Community Member

in reply to piggysplace

And why should I pay for healthcare for my mortal enemy, when I can't even afford a bandaid? <----and that is melodramatic, but the general principle. 

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to daltvila420

First fix local community. No need to send my money to any other place when my community needs help. My community leaders have a better understanding that those who live in Detroit or Chicago. They have different problems that must be cured at a local level first. 

Handing out money, without holding them accountable is not the way. Most churches require some sort of effort on the beneficiary of the kindness, before they give them money.  Nobody is accountable any more, and the working few are getting restless. 

If you wish to donate, by all means donate. Help the neighbor clean their yard, Send money to help fix a cleft jaw. Donate to your church. And let's leave it at that. I will donate and help whom I wish. It may be I wish to donate to a cancer cure, or agriculture on another planet. 

Government is to govern, churches and charities are to give. The separation of church and state is not as some might think. It was written to keep the government from mandating or endorsing a national religion. Charity belongs to religion, it is a moral issue, not one of governance. Government mandated charity is government mandated religion, a religion without legal status.

I also believe that there should be no such thing as a "tax free" organization. If it makes money, it should pay taxes. End of story. If I pay on my earning, they need to pay on their earnings. 

Community Member

in reply to piggysplace

I am not their savior, nor should be required to help them, as I wish to help those within MY community, who support MY values. I get a good feeling helping MY fellow man if they run into trouble.

This is a big country- with many communities- and values. MY fellow man is everyone- no matter their background.

It would be impossible to help some poor family in the Ozark Mountains if it weren't for programs like SNAP. I feel good knowing that some of my tax payments are to going toward a person in need.

I see "Community" on a global scale.  Your "Fellow Man" may not be your next-door neighbor.

Please use plain text.
beadle_eze
Community Member

in reply to runaway2da
Bleeding or bleating? It's hard to tell which. :smileyhappy:

beadle_eze as beadle does
Please use plain text.
piggysplace
Community Member

in reply to daltvila420

daltvila420 wrote:

kathieskorner wrote:

I think all seniors should have free healthcare and drug coverage period.

And just how do you think it should be paid for??    And does this include chemotherapy and other life extending treatments and nursing home care?  Where do you draw the line at free healthcare and drug coverage?? 

But of course those with such noble sentiments don't have to be concerned with fiscal realities. 

Should we provide healthcare to a broke homeless person who ate too many glazed donuts, and now has clogged arteries? Or the guy who drinks/smokes too much- but can't afford his dialysis treaments? How 'bout the kid born in a ghetto- addicted to crack...

I think we have an obligation to take care of our citizens. If we didn't have a "Military Presence" in 150+ foreign countries; we could likely afford "Noble Sentiments" while also being in touch with "Fiscal Realities."

I think it's pretty lame that the government is shut down over healthcare, when we've spent trillions in the past decade on war.

It is not charity if you are forced to give. This robs the giver of the good will feeling. The constitution was set up to keep the federal government small, and give the States the power. 

I you live in the Amish community, you are taken care of, and you must follow their rules.

I live in Arizona, life is way different than California or New York City. Our community is supposed to have OUR values honored. We are a representative government, and I and people like me are no longer rerpresented.

If you choose not to be part of a community of like minded, you should find the community you fit in with. That community should or would shoulder the burden of the lazy, feeble and genetically flawed within their community if they choose to condone that bad behavior.  First people to shoulder the burden is self. Then immediate family, and friends. If they are not willing to take care of their own, why should I? 

I had nothing to do with their plight, I am not their savior, nor should be required to help them, as I wish to help those within MY community, who support MY values. I get a good feeling helping MY fellow man if they run into trouble. I do not get a good feeling as I am held up by may ankles and shaken down by the government for every last penny, then dropped on my head and left bleading. 

That is the problem. 

Community Member

in reply to kathieskorner

kathieskorner wrote:

And just how do you think it should be paid for??    And does this include chemotherapy and other life extending treatments and nursing home care?  Where do you draw the line at free healthcare and drug coverage?? 

But of course those with such noble sentiments don't have to be concerned with fiscal realities. 

Should we provide healthcare to a broke homeless person who ate too many glazed donuts, and now has clogged arteries? Or the guy who drinks/smokes too much- but can't afford his dialysis treaments? How 'bout the kid born in a ghetto- addicted to crack...

I think we have an obligation to take care of our citizens. If we didn't have a "Military Presence" in 150+ foreign countries; we could likely afford "Noble Sentiments" while also being in touch with "Fiscal Realities."

I think it's pretty lame that the government is shut down over healthcare, when we've spent trillions in the past decade on war.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to daltvila420

While there are many seniors who can be considered poor..there are many who are not even close.

Figure it out....they paid the least amount into SS and are collecting the longest, far exceeding what they ever paid in.

Those that have pensions get far more generous benefits in retirement than any other group. the bottom didn't fall out until after most of them retired and secured their benefits.

I remember years ago a suggestion was made that wealthier seniors should forego collecting SS benefits so that their poorer counterparts could live better. That suggesiton caused near riots.

the older generation were better savers than the current ones. And they had a better shot of paying off mortgages than succesive generations.

Seniors do have access to alot of benefits and there are many agencies that can get them those benefits.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful idea to cut all services off for illegal aliens and make sure that our senior American citizens were better taken care of?

And the Federal government can raise my taxes if the money is used to deport all illegals back to where they belong. they can then appl;y to come here, like many do and wait like many do.

Please use plain text.
daltvila420
Community Member

in reply to kathieskorner

kathieskorner wrote:

They get "Free" Healthcare at some point- but not until their assets have been exhausted.

There's a woman I know who lives at a long-term care facility (nursing home). Her SSDI checks go to the nursing home- she got $50/month in spending money- and Medicare/Medicaid picked up the rest.

She received a $400,000 inheritance from her Mother, and is now "Private Pay-" to the tune of $8000+/month.

When her funds are exhausted, she'll go back to the Medicare/Medicaid model- although by then it will be called the "Affordable Care Act."

Please use plain text.
laddieboyblue
Community Member

in reply to nyaussie

I personally think that this law was meant to bankrupt the country.  Just my humble opinion.  I'm still waiting to hear how much my premiums and deductibles will increase.  Guess I'll hear around December.  If they double then I'm screwed.  Thanks obumble.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to runaway2da

Kathie....what do you think should be done with the poor elderly people? 

The "poor elderly"  are currently eligible for Social Security benefits, food stamps, home health, hospice care, transportation programs, meals on wheels, Medicaid (which covers nursing home care) , and other local social services programs.  Anyone can refer an elderly poor person to local senior services programs which will evaluate their needs.  What more do you expect??

Some choose not to accept government handouts.   That's their freedom of choice. 

Please use plain text.
steppefjordwyfe10
Community Member

in reply to runaway2da

runaway2da wrote:

bingalo wrote:

6.7 million as of Wednesday

Is that actually getting insurance or just creating an account?

Two intirely different things. 

I'd like to know where that number of 6.7 million came from.  Maybe I missed the source in previous posts, but that seems extremely high.  Did this number come from some comedy show?

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight." ~ Margaret Thatcher

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Please use plain text.
runaway2da
Community Member

in reply to bingalo

bingalo wrote:

6.7 million as of Wednesday

Is that actually getting insurance or just creating an account?

Two intirely different things. 

------------------------------------------

~The result of shielding men from their follies is filling the world with fools.~

~ There are as many paths as there are people to walk them, and that each person is the best judge of which path they will walk at any given time.~
Please use plain text.
*notaregistereduser*
Community Member

in reply to jisretired2010

jisretired2010 wrote:

Because they are the folks that can least afford it....in most cases.

I disagree. All the wealthiest people I know are over 50.

Please use plain text.