cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people have signed up for Obamacare?

Re: How many people have signed up for Obamacare?

in reply to

r-ruch wrote:

beadle_eze wrote:

Until now, in order to qualify for Medicaid, you had to have someone under the age of 18 in the household to qualify.    

False.

I was not speaking for persons with disabilities.  They are automatically covered if they receive SSDI (after two years) or SSI.

I am speaking for Florida and the working poor.  

beadle_eze as beadle does
Scout

in reply to

beadle_eze wrote:

r-ruch wrote:

beadle_eze wrote:

Until now, in order to qualify for Medicaid, you had to have someone under the age of 18 in the household to qualify.    

False.

I was not speaking for persons with disabilities.  They are automatically covered if they receive SSDI (after two years) or SSI.

I am speaking for Florida and the working poor.  

So you are saying a person in their thirties, has no children, is not disabled but has a major illness, has virtually no assets, and has no insurance can't qualify for Medicaid in Florida?

Poor senior citizens in nursing homes aren't covered by Medicaid in Florida?

Sure is different that other states if that's the case, which I doubt.

Rockstar

in reply to

Fl. state regs for Medicaid are primarily for children and families, but they do also have this provision...

Medically Needy (Share of Cost)

Individuals who are not eligible for "full" Medicaid because their income or assets are over the Medicaid program limits may qualify for the Medically Needy program. Individuals enrolled in Medically Needy must have a certain amount of medical bills each month before Medicaid can be approved. This is referred to as a "share of cost" and varies depending on the household's size and income.

If you don't like the Medicaid available in your state, you should talk to your local state legislators.

photo imagesqtbnANd9GcRjs2m3pRy8Ay0lDLFgOCwvtlBDuHivKl_UwWjlPAtASgLrJOvBNET0Cw.jpg

Daisypath Christmas tickers

in reply to

So you are saying a person in their thirties, has no children, is not disabled but has a major illness, has virtually no assets, and has no insurance can't qualify for Medicaid in Florida?

They can get indigent care at a hospital for a major illness.  But we (that's you, me, and every other taxpaying citizen) pays for it.  They will not get Medicaid unless they are approved for SSDI or SSI due to the major illness.

Only when they have exhausted almost all of their assets.  Down to the last few dollars.  Senior citizens in a nursing home are not your typical working poor. 

The purpose of Medicaid expansion was to allow some of the working poor to be insured under a system already in place and that with some good and bad things about it, had been working  fairly well for quite some time now.  Our Republican governor would have none of that.  He would rather the taxpayers of Florida  continue to pay for the ER visits and medical crises than to spread the risk further to more people.

I thought we were engaged in a good discussion until the doubting started.

Carrion, my conservative friend, carrion.  Woman Happy

Trailblazer

in reply to

Once again...Who are the working poor?

Obviously the authors of the Obamadebacle think that a single person making over $45,000 per year is part of the "working rich"?

the Medicaid system is rife with fraud.

Before adding millions more to its rolls don't you think some housekeeping is in order?

Why do Liberals think that the answer to every issue is to throw more money at it?

EVery government run program is a mess.

in reply to

No, they are not.  

Scout

in reply to

beadle_eze wrote:

They can get indigent care at a hospital for a major illness.  But we (that's you, me, and every other taxpaying citizen) pays for it.  They will not get Medicaid unless they are approved for SSDI or SSI due to the major illness.

Only when they have exhausted almost all of their assets.  Down to the last few dollars.  Senior citizens in a nursing home are not your typical working poor. 

The purpose of Medicaid expansion was to allow some of the working poor to be insured under a system already in place and that with some good and bad things about it, had been working  fairly well for quite some time now.  Our Republican governor would have none of that.  He would rather the taxpayers of Florida  continue to pay for the ER visits and medical crises than to spread the risk further to more people.

I thought we were engaged in a good discussion until the doubting started.

Carrion, my conservative friend, carrion.  Woman Happy

Not sure what this means:  Carrion, my conservative friend, carrion.  Woman Happy

We wouldn't have had a discussion had I not doubted your statement in the first place!

You need to be specific that you are only speaking about Florida since other states aren't the same and since Medicaid is in every state in some form.  That's the problem with the whole health care debate - too many generalizations and not enough specifics being dicussed. 

Trailblazer

in reply to

In my state of West Virginia Governor Tomblin expanded Medicaid effective 2014, though I don't know what the inclusions are, they certainly don't affect me personally.

in reply to

Maybe I didn't make it clear that I was speaking about Florida.  I was stating that the Republican governor of Florida decided not to accept Medicaid expansion dollars from the federal government to include persons who work, but can't afford insurance, but who make too much to qualify for the Medicaid program as it now exists.

Each state administers its own Medicaid program with the bulk of the money coming from the federal government.  If Governor Scott didn't want to have anything to do with the ACA, he could have accepted the Medicaid expansion money and still would have been able to claim that he kept his distance.  Like I said in an earier post, it just seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face because the money will now go to another state to expand their Medicaid programs.

Carry on, my conservative friend, carry on.  Woman Happy

in reply to

In the end what difference does it make if one person or 30 million sign up for the ACA.  So long as they were people without health insurance it should not matter to those who have health insurance and are perfectly happy with theirs.

The ACA was not a law passed for the majority of Americans, it was passed for the minority of those Americans who had no health insurance.  And the sign up time goes for four months so not everyone might have rushed to get in on the first day.

When Medicare was passed, there were tons of glitches in the programs but eventually during the open season, millions signed up.  it has only been two weeks since the ACA became open for sign up.

SIGNATURE

"In the 13 months that I've been in the Senate, it has become apparent to me that the single thing that Republicans fear the most -- and that is when they're forced to tell the truth. It makes their heads explode," Ted Cruz 2/13/14

Scout

in reply to

I did understand the carry on "carrion" comment.  What I didn't understand was why it said "womanhappy" after it.  Now that is gone and your smiley woman is there.  I didn't get why you would type "womanhappy".  Obviously you didn't.  I'd never seen it say "womanhappy" before.   Now I get it, sorry for the confusion.

Trailblazer

in reply to

beadle_eze wrote:

Maybe I didn't make it clear that I was speaking about Florida.  I was stating that the Republican governor of Florida decided not to accept Medicaid expansion dollars from the federal government to include persons who work, but can't afford insurance, but who make too much to qualify for the Medicaid program as it now exists.

Each state administers its own Medicaid program with the bulk of the money coming from the federal government.  If Governor Scott didn't want to have anything to do with the ACA, he could have accepted the Medicaid expansion money and still would have been able to claim that he kept his distance.  Like I said in an earier post, it just seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face because the money will now go to another state to expand their Medicaid programs.

Carry on, my conservative friend, carry on.  Woman Happy

You know what the poor who can't afford medical care won't be turned away, why all this scare stuff. No hospital ER would turn away anybody with chest pains, broken bones, kick them out the door because they are blooding up the tile floors or any child for any reason, this I am sure  in spite of laws and ACA, Obamacare, medicare, medicaid or not they will receive treatment, no matter what state they live in or what state they are visiting.

So what's the problem, business as usual

Obama leads the world laughs

Rockstar

[ Edited ]
in reply to

So after all the wrangling, all the uncertainty for business, all the money spent promoting, deciphering etc and you don't think it matters whether or not one person signed up?  You think it makes no difference?   Now you understand Michael Savage's line.

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight." ~ Margaret Thatcher

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” ― Thomas Jefferson

[ Edited ]
in reply to

Hospitals in states whose governors have turned away medicaid expansion have warned those governors that they may have to close down.  They depend a lot on those payments. The amount the Feds were offering those states were almost equal to their current expenditures.  And they had the option to opt out in three years.  It was a win/win for the citizens.  But as demostrated by the House Republicans this month, they do not care for their constituents, they just want to WIN something and play partisan games to their detriment.

In the end, the decision not to expand Medicaid is going to bite those governors where they least expect it in the long run.

SIGNATURE

"In the 13 months that I've been in the Senate, it has become apparent to me that the single thing that Republicans fear the most -- and that is when they're forced to tell the truth. It makes their heads explode," Ted Cruz 2/13/14

in reply to

Former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs

robert-gibbs-lalala2

Even Robert Gibbs, who was once one of President Obama’s closest aides, is shocked by the incompetence of Obamacare’s implementation.

“This is excruciatingly embarrassing for the White House and for the Department of Health and Human Services,” Gibbs said Monday on MSNBC, where he is now a contributor. “This was bungled badly. This was not a server problem, just too many people came to the website. This is a website architecture problem.”

“I hope they’re working day and night to get this done,” he added. “And when they get it fixed, I hope they fire some people who were in charge of making sure this thing was supposed to work. We knew there were going to be some glitches. But these are glitches that go, quite frankly, way beyond the pale of what should be expected.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/14/3-liberals-who-are-embarrassed-by-obamacares-disastrous-implementa...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My theory on life.
I don't regret previous decisions. I wouldn't be me as I am and even though my life is nowhere near perfect, I am absolutely content with where I am and where I was and where I will be even with life's hiccups.

[ Edited ]
in reply to

Maybe that is why the word, FORMER, is important in front of Gibb's description of his FORMER association with the WH.  I will bet Gibbs was sent home packing unlike Colin Powell, who walked away from Bush due to ethical concerns about that administration.

And please bear in mind that when Medicare was introduced, the same problems occurred, exactly the same, also when GWB's Medicare D program was begun, it, too was riddled with glitches.  Any time millions of people are trying to enroll in anything simultaneously, there are going to be glitches like those.

SIGNATURE

Trailblazer

in reply to

More far left lies and propganda!

Even more proof that the far left has no clue about Obamacare or Medicaid, just posying form the programed hatred of anything that contains an (R). Smiley Wink

Have you signed up for Obamacare yet?

* Kosh *
Trailblazer

in reply to

bertrambabe2010 wrote:

In the end what difference does it make if one person or 30 million sign up for the ACA.  So long as they were people without health insurance it should not matter to those who have health insurance and are perfectly happy with theirs.

The ACA was not a law passed for the majority of Americans, it was passed for the minority of those Americans who had no health insurance.  And the sign up time goes for four months so not everyone might have rushed to get in on the first day.

When Medicare was passed, there were tons of glitches in the programs but eventually during the open season, millions signed up.  it has only been two weeks since the ACA became open for sign up.

Have you signed up for Obamacare yet?

Or are you exempt for being a far left Obama worshiper?

* Kosh *

in reply to

I have insurance, I have always had insurance as an adult.  The ACA was not passed for me.  Maybe you might want to check to see if you are eligiable for it.

SIGNATURE

in reply to

Why do I need to sign up for the ACA?