eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
capt.steel
Community Member

Re: Extreme Cheapskates Returning

in reply to slipnround

Just saw something on one of these shows that grossed me out - this one woman will scrape the sauce from her family's used dinner plates back into the jar, or scrape the salad dressing out of used bowls back into the bottle.

This is just unsanitary.  This dinner plate residue has been exposed - it's been out a while, it's been breathed on as people sat over it & ate it (maybe even coughed or sneezed on by children), it's got bits of other food in it, and it's got saliva in it - as a person keeps sticking their utensil back in their food from their mouth, they're transferring saliva.  So she's putting a mix of everyone's saliva back into a sauce jar and saving it for her next recipe.

My motto is waste nothing... but c'mon, not at the risk of being stupid or making your family sick.

(She also "cooked" lasagna in her dishwasher with her dirty dishes and her dinner guests said it tasted like dish water!)

~
Please use plain text.
slipnround
Community Member

in reply to capt.steel

Me too those storage wars show's get me too, mine was broken into, a storage facility, along with 6 others last year, nothing taken, it kinda of reminds of George Carlin's stand up with "Stuff", well it came true I guess see my stuff is that other word not allowed on here, to other people. But now shady people think you just might have that 64 Corvette hidden under all them boxes or maybe even the sarcophagus of  Tutankhamen.

While I'm on it, Discovery Channel and History Channel used to be really interesting, now it's those fake auto towing company's and auto restoration along with junk seekers, not my cup of tea,

It gets stale pretty quick.

Please use plain text.
valleyspirit*dvn
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to capt.steel

Capt,

I believe the food thing is dangerous. Her being pregnant makes it even more so. Even if the food is fresh and in a container, you don't know who touched it, spit on it, dropped it or whatever.

There are some very good things about recycling. Other than the food that is. All those metal sheets I used to make my duck and chicken pen was someone elses trash. It was on it's way to the dump because someone that was quite wealthy just wanted it gone. After all they could just by more and didn't care about what that metal would have done to the enviroment. How much space it would take up at the dump or the fact that it would sit there for 100 plus years. Maybe more as it doesn't rust or decay.

So Misterbradfox,

You can call us lowest common denominator viewers  if you like. Just remember that what a lot of you higher common denominator viewers  take to the dump to pile up, some of us have the skills and care for our envoroment enough to use it. 

*~*~~*~~******~*~~~~*~~~~~***~*~***~~~~~*~~~~*~******~~*~~*~*
Please use plain text.
capt.steel
Community Member

in reply to misterbradfox

Any comments on last night's pregnant lady who Dumpster Dives behind pharmacies for discarded drugs?

~
Please use plain text.
misterbradfox
Community Member

in reply to capt.steel

"...Does anyone know or have any ideas about what you can do with styrofoam (other than throw it in the trash)?

I'm talking those blocks that usually come with electric equipment." 

You could do what a neighbor of mine does with it: he carves huge chunks of that styrofoam into smaller cakes and sells those wholesale to the Trader Joe's store down the block as "natural" tofu. 

He's been doing that for three years now and nobody has noticed so far. 

tofu.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to capt.steel

capt.steel wrote:

Does anyone know or have any ideas about what you can do with styrofoam (other than throw it in the trash)?

I'm talking those blocks that usually come with electric equipment.  I don't think there are any local recycling programs for it.

A guy here "recycles" all the styrofoam, glues it into blocks, and carves all his Halloween stuff.  Makes gargoyles, pedestals, bricks, tombstones, ghouls, you name it.

Please use plain text.
capt.steel
Community Member

in reply to *jimmy1717*

Does anyone know or have any ideas about what you can do with styrofoam (other than throw it in the trash)?

I'm talking those blocks that usually come with electric equipment.  I don't think there are any local recycling programs for it.

~
Please use plain text.
*jimmy1717*
Community Member

in reply to fatquarters4sale

fatquarters4sale wrote:

*jimmeh* wrote:

Sharing dental floss! I get mine free from the dentist and wouldn't share my own with myself, lol.

Something I've never seen here.....solar water heaters. From what I hear, almost every house in China has one.

I want one,

solar.jpg

last time i checked into solar domestic hot water systems,  they wanted way to much money. 

i  have a  portable solar oven for camping.  it cost me 300.00    i used it in my backyard, and camping.  It's much better than trying to cook over a fire. 

I'll have to look into the solar oven....I've never heard of them. I would guess if more people bought the solar water heaters the price would come down. Maybe they have since you last looked? I watched a show where a guy in Alaska built his own solar water heater with bits and pieces he scrounged. It worked pretty good too!

Those dental picks with the piece of floss....yeah they work great. I see them in the streets, parking lots, etc. (maybe I should pick them up and clean them, lol).

Last week getting new tires, the lady behind the counter was using one while helping me....gross, I feel like complaining....over the phone! :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
on_isle9
Community Member

in reply to capt.steel

I would rather watch a show about the coal miners fending for themselves since Obama came along.

Why live off the grid, just stupid, more like a propaganda show than reality.

More items for everyone to see..
Please use plain text.
steppefjordwyfe10
Community Member

in reply to bli!!

Why should she be arrested if it isn't against the law where she happens to live?

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
― Ronald Reagan

"Guilty as sin, free as a bird" Bill Ayers

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to capt.steel

The Learning Channel...  It has become the National Enquirer of cable TV.  If their programming is what people like...we have some very idiotic people in this country.

Please use plain text.
capt.steel
Community Member

in reply to bli!!

Remember when TLC stood for The Learning Channel, and they'd actually have science shows? (Now nothing but "reality" fakery.)

~
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to capt.steel

I like to watch shows telling people how to save money...but this show is rediculous, especially the woman that went to the woods to gather greens to cook.  One woman even used pee to water her garden.  At that point I just turned it off.  I think it is all a bunch of hype anyway.  Unfortunately, most of TLCs programming is nothing but trash TV.

As for the woman burning her garbage...she should be arrested.  She probably does not see or care that her actions could cause a massive fire....because it is all about her saving money.  Stupid, stupid people......

Please use plain text.
fatquarters4sale
Community Member

in reply to *jimmy1717*

*jimmeh* wrote:

Sharing dental floss! I get mine free from the dentist and wouldn't share my own with myself, lol.

Something I've never seen here.....solar water heaters. From what I hear, almost every house in China has one.

I want one,

solar.jpg

last time i checked into solar domestic hot water systems,  they wanted way to much money. 

i  have a  portable solar oven for camping.  it cost me 300.00    i used it in my backyard, and camping.  It's much better than trying to cook over a fire. 

Think and Wonder, Wonder and Think ~ Dr. Seuss
Please use plain text.
capt.steel
Community Member

in reply to *jimmy1717*

I use the Reach Access Flosser (it's basically floss on a stick - you buy disposable floss heads that snap onto the stick).  I've found it much easier & neater than regular floss - and I don't have to garote-wire my fingers every night! The instructions say to use the floss "head" once, then dispose of it (and they're quite expensive).  I use each one until it snaps (rinsing it before & after each use, of course).  It usually lasts a few days until it breaks.

~
Please use plain text.
*jimmy1717*
Community Member

in reply to *jimmy1717*

I want one,

solar.jpg

Please use plain text.
*jimmy1717*
Community Member

in reply to capt.steel

I missed the show. What I'd like to see are ways to do things more efficiently, but unless you're homeless and jobless, the time spent dumpster diving for a complete meal could be spent at work. I'd guess it would take an hour or 2 dumpster diving, 2 hours at your day job should cover your meals for the whole day....with change left over.

These things are going up all over by me lately.  We get freezing plus below 0 temps here.  I didn't know that could destroy the solar panels.  Learn something new every day.

People have solar panels here (NY) that aren't damaged by freezing temps. There are also companies that will install them with no or little money down and put you on a plan.

The roof top gardens....I'd like one, but I don't have a flat roof. Having them can double the life of your roof and lower your heating and cooling bills too. I'm not sure about the weight of them plus the weight of snow....something to consider.

Please use plain text.
capt.steel
Community Member

in reply to steppefjordwyfe10

I didn't like the idea of that same woman burning her garbage.

Not only is that inconsiderate to her neighbors, but is a toxic form of pollution that is harmful to the environment.

It's probably illegal in a lot of places - it may be legal if you live out in the boonies, but I think it's illegal in any neighborhood.

~
Please use plain text.
steppefjordwyfe10
Community Member

in reply to capt.steel

Pretty interesting show.  They definitely go to the extremes vacuuming after midnight and cooking a casserole in the wee hours.  I would think the spouse would have to be a cheapskate too to be able to put up with it.  

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
― Ronald Reagan

"Guilty as sin, free as a bird" Bill Ayers

Please use plain text.
capt.steel
Community Member

in reply to misterbradfox

The Wedding episode was pretty interesting.

Yes, the cheapness was extreme (much of it probably arranged JUST for the show), but I did slightly admire the mother's attitude that events don't have to be this gluttonous display of expense & luxury in order to impress others.  I did seem a little unfair to the bride, yet she didn't seem opposed or upset by any of the money-saving options - seemed like she was into it.

I've always preferred simple weddings to those obviously designed not to celebrate matrimony, but to show off wealth or show up the Joneses.

~
Please use plain text.