eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Re: EBay RIP OFF...!!!!!

[ Edited ]
in reply to azorg

I purchased an item the day before christmas with Economy Shipping and a few days later began to wonder where it was. E-Bay contacted me about that time saying that they had canceled the auctions because of fraud. One of the auctions they "Canceled" was already over and I had already remitted payment. There was no tracking information provided by the seller on E-Bay or PayPal. More time passed and I checked PayPal again to find a tracking # listed. The tracking number was for an overnight UPS shipment not Economy Shipping. The number provided pointed to the town near me and it was delivered and signed by someone I never heard of. Bottom line is E-bay accepted the bogus tracking # as proof of delivery for a fraud auction seller that they had already notified me about. They tonight denied my claim saying I have the merchandise. I bet they never even looked at the tracking info. I am through with them, PayPal, PP CC's and if my CC provider does not protect me they also will loose my business.

It is time for a good old Califofnian Class Action Suit against E-Bay for false claims of "Buyer Protection"

Please use plain text.
azorg
Community Member

in reply to fedupwithyourwebsite

I AGREE with your class A idea! As well, I think it's a total fraud that ebay is charging "Final Value Fee on Shipping" even if you use every penny, and sometimes MORE, that the customer paid for shipping, and even if you do NOT use their "Print Shipping Label" tool. This tool often fails to work, and you must do this task on your own. And since when was eBay a shipping company anyway? Any good Attornys game? Just read these threads! This is SO RIPE with fraud...I don't give a rip that it's all stated in ther policys. You can now pay money in fees that can NOT be added into the price. You can only pad a price so much, and NO bids and you still pay your listing fees. Ebay is FORCING this Free Shipping on sellers. Sure it's fine for some items, but some are going to cost substantially different to ship, and only works when buyer decides if shipping + item costs are worth it (the free market). Here's a clear example: You hav a car part that's a bit heavy, but you're happy to part with it for $25. Shipping can cost up to $150 so you have buyer evaluate that while deciding to purchase. Say buyer has been looking a long time for this part and figures it's worth it and pays you 25+150. You use up every penny of the $150 to ship it. You're happy to get $25, and buyer's happy to have long lost part! But wait for those fees. Now ebay charges you maybe $1.50 listing fees (depending on how fancy you went with ad - wheather it sells or NOT), $2.50 for 10% "Final Value Fee", $15.00 for 10% "Final Value Fee on Shipping", paypal (owned by eBay) gets $5.47 (3.125% of $150) for electronically moving money. Compute this, and your $25 went to $2.86. NOW whats the percentage? Ebay gets 89% Now, if your time and fuel is worth anything, it's going to save you money to toss your item in the LAND FILL!!!! Point taken?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to davestansbury

Both eBay and Paypal are demanding more money and neither company has to do much for it. Ebay has all the website set up so even monkeys could list their bananas for sale on it, and we are charged such high prices for using their services. Ebay often have free insertion days where the fee of the insertion of an item is anulled but dont be fooled that its going to cost nothing! Ebay also get a final value fee, not only on your item but on the postage cost too! How can you charge someone postage and have ebay take a percentage from you? It's just plain wrong! It is now cheaper to buy from the local shops than to use ebay due to the amount they demand in fees.

I am having trouble with ebay right now with the so-called money back guarantee they claim to have and advertise with faces that are guaranteed to annoy when you see them on nearly every page all the time! This is my story:

I went to Spain on 31st October to scatter my parents ashes. I had a delivery on 1st November that had been signed for by an unknown person at an unknown address as my house was left empty until I returned home. I got back to England on 3rd November and no card was posted through my door. I left it until 11th Nov and chased it up. I found that Royal Mail said they had delivered the item to the address specified (which was impossible) and had a signature, apparently from Casper! Ebay wouldn't refund me for my purchase, so the money back guarantee is worth $h!t .... The Royal Mail are also passing blame and saying it was delivered to my address, even though I live on my own and have proof I was out of the country when the packet was signed for.

In short, Ebay demand a high percentage of your sales and won't give you anything back, even though they advertise a money back guarantee!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I can see the opportunity for both sides of the transaction to take advantage /cheat! I can see the profit to be made on everything from good sales to bad thefts. Ebay sees that profit too. And whichever way a transaction goes, they're gonna get their cut first.
So just like using a broker at the stock market, as it is with ebay.
If you don't do the entire sale by yourself, you're gonna be broker. Besides, who wants to travel all the way to a stock exchange, when you can stay home and get screwed?

Note to sellers; If you aren't smart enough to know whether something is broken, then you have no business selling it!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

With the high cost of shipping, packing material, boxes, tape how does ebay think they deserve a final value on the shipping. They don't drive to the post office, stand in line only to find out that the small amount that has been charged for freight doesn't cover the cost of shipping the item. I personaly believe that this company's greed will end up being it's down fall. I just hope I get to see it.

Please use plain text.
avonsttc
Community Member

I recently sold a rare used lego set for over $200. Buyer went to eBay claimed missing parts stating were not shipped. Then buyer said box was a little damaged, then said box was open and destroyed. They changed story with every email showing obvious contradictions and lies. EBay refunded their money, charged me fees and I got a pile of worthless regular bricks, all disassembled. Seems to be common sense that the fraud buyer took all valuable pieces disassembled model and flat out lied. Now I do not have item I sent, and it cost me over $50 to let a thief steal from me. They send me messages wanting their fees, f them I am done. Guess I will save the several thousand I spent a year with them.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Or, take an honest buyer and a dodgy seller. Dodgy seller breaks/drops/whatever the item while packing it, but sends the broken item to honest buyer who has to deal with a dishonest transaction. Ask yourself, why would any buyer, honest or dishonest, buy an item, pay for shipping, and upon receiving and unpacking the item and finding it intact, break it to get a refund???

Your premise makes no sense. The buyer wanted the item more than the money, that's why the buyer bought the item in the first place. There's no advantage to the buyer in breaking the item and engaging in a fight with a dodgy seller.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hilarious.

You call ebay a scam, then go right back and ask for more by continuing to use it.

Is ebay the problem or you?   lol

Punk Those Nasty Bidders !
Please use plain text.
Community Member

As I read all the replies its clear both sellers and buyer are getting ripped off while the greedy, faceless, heartless, fat company reaps the profits. I haven’t used ebay much, I think 30 total purchase in 3 years and most of those were the first year when it was much more reasonably priced. My most recent purchase went like this..... I bought the item out right rather than bidding, once received I could see it was clearly garbage and not as discribed in the add or in response to my email asking about the item in detail. So I asked for a refund. The issue was raised for ebay to decide if I qualified and Ebay determined I was entitled to a refund. The problem was the message they sent when notifying me that a case was being opened and the bold heading saying No Further Action Required on my part. Never having gone through the process I did not have any idea what to expect or even what I was supposed to do. The email notice makes it much worse with the misleading “No Action” claim. I guessed notification of findings etc would be given via my email account. The same account with which I communicated with the seller and Ebay fills with adds and promotions. In fact the notice of findings in my favor was only sent to My Messages within Ebay where I rarely look. When I did find the message there were two, the first telling me they found in my favor, notice of a shipping label to return the item and to post the tracking number once sent. The second message informing me the case was closed with yet another No further action required on my part header. I sent a message to ebay questioning the timeliness as I was concerned I had missed my chance. It had been several weeks since the case was opened. No answer. So I tried to get an answer by appealing the closed case notice. Before I got a response I decided to ship the item and not waist anymore time, and I subsequently added tracking ID information to the case appeal message. A few days later I returned to the My Messages area to find my appeal DENIED. OK... what does that mean? I spent several hours going through a maddening circle of web page misinformation within the 'support’ area trying to find a method of contacting an actual person. A few more days pass and I verify the item was received by the seller. Finally tonight after another round of web page chase my tail ebay blocking I found a phone number. The first woman I spoke with tried to shoot me down with some nonsense about my appeal being denied because the tracking id was bad. Lie! I copied and then pasted the id from my original message to the UPS tracking page and up came the data showing it had been received, as did she while I was on the phone with her. Oppps. She then passed me on to the second level of corporate blockers. His method was simple, repeat over and over in a lifeless, unthinking, blind, bureaucratic cadence something about a 10 day limit policy and blah blah blah too bad for me. I asked why does’nt say that in the **bleep** message rather than NO FURTHER ACTION REQUIRED ON MY PART? He was very sorry and hoped I had a nice evening. Yeah, and Merry Fing Christmas to you pal. So the seller got paid and got the item back to boot and I received a costly lesson: Ebay sucks, they lie and evidently as I am reading from others, they are screwing over many many people. All I can do is vote with my feet and my dollars. I am closing my account and will not use them again. Amazon has brilliant customer service and there is a wonderful free online classified site locally that I can use for anything Amazon doesnt have or if I want to sell something. Which, as matter of fact I do and I was foolishly considering doing so on Ebay. Glad I didn’t move forward on that before now. Truth is if I comes down to it Id rather get ripped off by someone local and have my stolen dollars spent back in my community than do Ebay any favor anyway. LOL See ya.
Please use plain text.
mineandmyexscloset
Community Member

in reply to thorseyewear

I have indeed been ripped off over the last few days as a seller.  Buyer opened a case for a broken button on a shirt that I could not control.  However, shirt was high end and had addional replacement buttons.  So, I offered $4 to replace buttons. 

Ebay simply refunded all of his money and he gets to keep the shirt and when I called Customer Service (India) they could not explain the process properly and one was even condescending.  Really?  I sent buyer a Paypal invoice for the revised amount and seller mocks me, by claiming contradictory emails from Ebay claiming closed. 

Yes, it is closed and I got ripped off.  Ebay thinks that's how you do business?  Really?  I figure, by the time I pay fees, calculate costs of rip offs like this, I walk away with pennies from each transaction.  How is this profitable?

Please use plain text.
fedupwithyourwebsite
Community Member

in reply to tonywalantus

Fortunately my credit card on file expired and I didn't get around to updating my info. They can lock up my Paypal all they want to. I don't owe them any money. I paid them what they asked,even though it was unfair. Are Ebay and paypal a package deal? Can I close my Ebay and keep my Paypal? I like Paypal.It makes it convenient to buy in some online stores(other than Ebay).

Please use plain text.
fedupwithyourwebsite
Community Member

in reply to sandyshoresvirtualmall

Well, big sellers don't mind losing a few bucks here and there. You make one bad sale and you more than make it up with hundreds of good sales. But, what about the little people? When ebay started, there were no big sellers. It was about regular people selling their unwanted items to make a few bucks. I can't afford to give away free items and give Ebay free money. I don't have an overhead of inventory. Maybe these new policies are aimed at the big fish in this pond. But, once Ebay is only a marketplace for big sellers, it stops being Ebay and becomes like any other retailer website like overstock.com or ebates.com. I think they are underestimating the little people. At least, I won't be buying nor selling here anymore. I'll mark my calendar to close this account 30 days from today, since Ebay wont let me close it now because they want to see if they can get more money from me.

Please use plain text.
fedupwithyourwebsite
Community Member

in reply to leng-endary

Ebay was a good company. Their downfall started with having Paypal holding sellers' money and siding with buyers. Now, they are even announcing complete buyer impunity.

Please use plain text.
fedupwithyourwebsite
Community Member

in reply to deerhunter182

I sat on hold for 20-30 minutes and I got a real person on the phone, but it was no help. They don't care about sellers. They don't even listen to what you have to say. They won't even let me close this account.

Please use plain text.
fedupwithyourwebsite
Community Member

I agree with you. I have been with Ebay since 2003, but they can care less. I don't sell or buy that often because I have a full time job and I also go to school full time. I have always been honest with my postings. Never had a problem before. A new Ebayer comes in, no history whatsoever. This buyer buys my product. He gets free product. Ebay has Paypal hold the money for 20+ days per new policy. Buyer asks for my personal information,threatens to report me, calls me a fraud, reports me before he even gets the product. The product is a software code. Ebay sides with buyer without listening to my side. I call Ebay today to clear the air and they treat me like a criminal.Buyer is always right,they say. Now I look at my account.Buyer left nasty review.Ebay forces me to pay him back money they refunded to buyer,plus fees and shipping. Ebay wont even let me leave an honest feedback. To put the cherry on top, Ebay wont let me cancel my account either. I think we should start a class action lawsuit against Ebay's abusive policies.

Please use plain text.
tonywalantus
Community Member

Just had the same thing happen, I sold something... Then the buyer immediately emails saying they need more time to pay. I agree, then when I finally get the money in Paypal the person starts claiming the thing I sold, and antique golf ball compression tester, does not work. and wants me to send him approximately 70% of the money back. I email back that it was an antique and all modern golf balls will max out on it... like I wrote in the description. Emailed back and forth a couple times and they said they were experts and it was only worth 30% of what they bid.

So I sent Ebay an useless "report the buyer" complaint. I wanted to know what to do because I wanted to just get the item back. Useless because  I never heard a word from Ebay... Until a couple days later the buyer filed a complaint and the locked the amount down in my Paypal account. The buyer said "They wanted me to give them back 70% of the amount they bid... Or... Gulp... They were going to send the item back... I told them, send it on back!

FYI... paypal will lock your account down without telling you. Ebay will take the money from paypal automatically, without telling you and put it in "escrow". I clicked the refund the money button, but I'm guessing they will refund it automatically after a period of time. I'm sure it's in the terms and conditions... but what's up with not communicating at all with sellers?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cat16966

ANYONE KNOWS THE ALTERNATIVE,!!!

Gumtree.com.au was bought by ebay, no longer independent .

Ebay is heading the same direction as Trading post .com.au

No private advertisers there anymore.

Tradingpost used to be the favorite for average Jo and small business alike. That's even before internet became popular.

I wonder if Ebay bought out Trading post also.

Well,

here is a way to get rich. Start a buy/sell internet site and wait word Ebay to make you an offer.

Big business runs every democratic country. - it IS called Democracy,.....  Or is it Communism??   Hmmm... What's the difference again?

cat16966 wrote:

got ripped off to in the last six months im down £1,600 i bought a car of e-bay and it needed to be scrapet e-bay would not do anyting ..£1025 and i sold an item on e-bay for £202 thay compland and thay got the refund and the items so with the car im now down £1,600 the biggest fraudsters is ebay to let people get away with it . thay have had over £1000 in fees of me in the last six mounths of me . i will be closing the account down and pay-pal are just as bad :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to thatsticker

There aren't many places you can get millions (maybe billions) of people looking at the things you want to sell.  I have a website and I still sell on eBay too because I get way more business on eBay than I do on my website.  I've tried selling on some of the other auction sites and you don't get near the exposure - I didn't sell poot when I listed on them plus they are not as easy to navigate and use.  Not that I like paying the fees, and I don't think it is right charging a fee on shipping.... but blame the fee on shipping on those sellers that used to list an item for 99 cents and then the shipping $30 or something outrageous.  The only way eBay could stop that was to also charge a fee on shipping!  The bad apples hurt the good apples. 

Please use plain text.
thatsticker
Community Member

in reply to steves8199

This was an interesting way of presenting the argument but Ebay would not accept responsibility for the death of the family. At the end of the day, it is a business and it is our job as sellers to find the fine line between working the system in a way that makes us feel good about what we are doing and a way that is profitable. I have yet to find that happy medium and have been selling for a long time.

I am not on eBay's side as far as their profit margin goes. As a stockholder in Ebay, I honestly have not looked at how much eBay made last year after all overhead. Now I want to know! :smileysurprised:

TK

steelandstonebytk.blogspot.com

Please use plain text.
tmdragon12
Community Member

in reply to deerhunter182
Wait. on a >$1K item you are quibbling about $186? And you could have shipped it USPS for less? Explain to me which part is unfair.
Please use plain text.