eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: EBay RIP OFF...!!!!!

in reply to davestansbury

it went somthing  like this to some one i know very well , eBay invoice arrives in my messages £234 for a months trading plus charity payments of around £48 all processed and paid normally via pay-pal no problems except on this occasion i did not have the funds, so payment was delayed by about 3 to 4 weeks eBay was contacted i was told no problem
, next invoice arrived , i call customer services and they recommend i make a 1 time payment that day which i did to clear all outstanding invoices including the new month  all is well in the camp ???

the next day the same amount came out of my account again but for £240 mmmmmmmmm i thought time to call eBay and find out what's accruing here .
eBay where very sorry ,,,,apology excepted was told it would be sorted that day .

5 months later 47 phone calls of which 10 were chargeable 15 times i was promised a return call and never got it , 12 total and out-rite lies nearly 10 hours on the phone if not more 9 recorded messages of eBay customer services telling me one storey or excuse and then something totally different regarding the same issue my friend has  now had to involve a lawyer who is dealing with eBay legal office in Luxenbourg 6 weeks later no reply o what a surprise no wonder peeps are trying to bring ebay down.

Its a sghame that eBay can not practice what they preach 

Please use plain text.
mariam57yoga
Community Member

I to are disgusted with Ebay.  I have closed my account and  never ever dealing with them again. Major rip off I don't understand how they are still in business.   Sellers beware you have no rights. And although not all buyers are scum, I've encounter a few that are. This particular one us-thant, (user name) block him from bidding on you items. I shipped them perfect condition item, he open a case against me wanting a refund.  When I contacted Ebay to tell them that this person was lying , they dismissed my complaint.  The seller

Has no right.  And this person is lying through their teeth.  Their fees are ridiculous.  and then everyone is afraid because of the feedback.  I say goodbye eBay you will not see my money ever again!

Please use plain text.
usarc
Community Member

in reply to sandyshoresvirtualmall

that is just plain ridiculous. maybe you just didn't think it through very much. Why charge a fee for a shipping label purchased on ebay? If it is like they and you claim done to keep sellers from making the price of an item very low and the cost of shipping high in order to skate around the final value fee, then why charge it for a shipping label bought on ebay where the cost is based on the dimensions and weight of the item shipped. Especially when both FedEx and UPS will adjust costs if greater for shipping and charge it to our accounts. (meaning they weigh and measure each package) This can easily be solved by instituting a policy where if you are caught misrepresenting shipping cost you will be penalized. A program with certain metrics comparing an items sale price in ratio to its shipping costs and flagging it for possible fraud if it doesn't look right to then be investigated would be incredibly simple to write and put in to practice. oh and believe it or not I'm not even a rocket surgeon. 

Please use plain text.
wrw1357
Community Member

in reply to deerhunter182

You could not be more correct.  The post office lost an item I shipped and found and delivered it several days later.  I used an ebay shipping label with tracking and insurance, and ebay still dinged me for slow shipping.  In real life, I ship 100% on the day paid, if paid by 11:00 AM, and 100% paid later than 11:00 AM, the next morning.  I have 100% positive feedback and rave reviews about my packing and quick shipping.  Still not good enough for good ole ebay.  They have now told me to chose a "more reliable shipper than the USPS."  Just who might that be, especially when one lives in a very rural area where there is essentially no other service? Ebay clearly suffers from a severe case of recto-cranial inversion.  My postmaster tells me that customer complaints about ebay are up 10 fold from just one year ago, and she keeps records of every one.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I am more on a buyer on ebay and an occasional seller. my activity is 623, usually buying basic items from batteries, to small flashlights or a photne case...

I just sold ONE item, a canon lens and I was charged $66 final value fees !!!!! that's 10% of my item. Paypal charged $20 (3%) much less and they are taking most of the risks with the money.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS EBAY!!!! 

CUSTOMER SERVICE in Phillipines!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

10% of all the purchases I made went to Ebay??????!?!?!?!?!

I am looking at other alternatives and Ebay can live in its own world

Thanks,

RP

Please use plain text.
artie-chicago
Community Member

in reply to ric!!!
Remember the sellers FIRST rule. NEVER sell anything you can not afford to lose!

Electronic devices, especially cell phones, smart phones, i-phones, etc., are high fraud items causing sellers more problems than any other item.

Do Not request feedback from a buyer! The buyer may find your request as bothersome and leave negative feedback.

Even though the option exists in your listing of " No Returns ", unfortunately that does not mean No Refunds !! 

eBay Money Back Guarantee over rides your policy, and almost guarantees that a claim filed against you ( such as a SNAD..) 
                    will result in the buyer getting a refund without having to return your item to you. 

If you encounter a SNAD filed against you in an open case by your buyer ....

While this is not fair, you can prevent this from happening in the future by changing your auction listings to ' accept returns'.

ALWAYS reply.......RETURN FOR REFUND......and the buyer pays return shipping !!!!!!

Please use plain text.
md1797lynn
Community Member

[ Edited ]

I sold a working cb radio on Ebay . It was damaged by ups due to ruff handleing . Even though I had packed the radio to the buyers terms. It arrived damaged the buyer reported a not as listed claim and I am now being forced to refund . Even though I listed a sold as-is no returns no refunds do to the nature of electronics. The radio woked as I listed it when it left . I have a 310 possitive feedback seller account. This is a total rip off on Ebays part I have stopped payment on the paypal account and now face ebay taking away my account no matter I was closing it any way done with them and paypal.

davestansbury wrote:

Take one dodgy buyer and a honest seller... Dodgy buyer damages item on receipt...wants full refund...Honest seller contest dispute with EBay...Ebay ignores any explanation from honest seller and awards full refund including postage to dodgy buyer....EBay takes money out of honest sellers paypal acount without any notification and gives it to dodgy buyer. Then EBay in there great wisdom invoices honest seller, seller fees and value fee for postage claimimg seller had sold the item..!!!!! Honest seller receives damaged item back from dodgy buyer..SO...summing up....Dodgy buyer gets all his money back...Honest seller, now has damaged item and is also charged seller fees and postage rip off fees...for something that was NOT sold....Fraud and illegal usage of accounts springs to mind...an absolute disgrace...and RIP OFF...!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'm glad I'm not alone. Worst business ever! They have way to many hidden fees. How they are still around is beyond me
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fedupwithyourwebsite
Ebay and paypal are the same. Ebay owns paypal.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

eBay is legally complicit in fraud and doesn't care. I'm out my merchandise, payment and fees. eBay position " selling has business risk". Tough. We're taking your money. Not only is the buyer unethical so is ebay that's worse
Please use plain text.
2012frances43
Community Member

Guessing you got off better than I.

Ebayer bought, stated was damaged, kept item & all money was returned.

Too add insult to injury I was charged a fee of $20 for a chargeback fee!!!!!

Thankfully I pitched a FIT!!!!!!!!

Got all money back and chargeback fee was not taken out of account.

AND.  Sorry ebayer was unable to leave me negative feedback..

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Same thing happened to me. My bank acct. is minus $414, even after I won on appeal. Buyer was at fault all the way but he has his money AND the item! Absolute rippoff!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to applemacint0sh

It's not only the final value fee on the item and the shipping they ALSO charge you final value fee on any other add on's to the shipping like insurane that can be expensive when your shipping high dollar items. ebay tells you to just add the extra coast into handleing cost and the the buyer dings you for charging to must for shipping. You can't win

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to steves8199

LMAO!!!!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

davestansbury wrote:

Take one dodgy buyer and a honest seller... Dodgy buyer damages item on receipt...wants full refund...Honest seller contest dispute with EBay...Ebay ignores any explanation from honest seller and awards full refund including postage to dodgy buyer....EBay takes money out of honest sellers paypal acount without any notification and gives it to dodgy buyer. Then EBay in there great wisdom invoices honest seller, seller fees and value fee for postage claimimg seller had sold the item..!!!!! Honest seller receives damaged item back from dodgy buyer..SO...summing up....Dodgy buyer gets all his money back...Honest seller, now has damaged item and is also charged seller fees and postage rip off fees...for something that was NOT sold....Fraud and illegal usage of accounts springs to mind...an absolute disgrace...and RIP OFF...!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Sadly, I am in agreement. This is not a free enterprise, nor a capitalist entity. IT IS CORPORATISM. Ebay just lost another seller and buyer. I would rather sell my stuff at a garage sale than on eBay. So to all of you out there, open your eyes. Ebay US is horrible. The UK and Europe all feel the same. Shipping is a problem to other countries because they will not allow Google and other US internet providers to creep in and steal your privacy. Facebook now allows Euro countries to shield their identities on Facebook!! This is not popular in the US because we are too busy watching **bleep** like Honey BooBoo. The world outside think that Americans are stupid redneck dumb. They see us as characters from Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty. We are fed such **bleep** each day and EBay is just another entity fooling us on how to become a millionaire. Folks looks at Findland, New Ze., Australia, UK, Russia, China and Japan...they are way advance than us. We believe everthing we see on TV. Japanese were watching HD TV 20years ago...we just got HD a few years ago. The internet was advance before the US...

So avoid ebay and save your money.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

i sold an item for 415 pounds including postage. buyer says it is not what was photographed. it was and normally i do not do returns but in this case, asked for it to be sent back. i was told it had arrived and so did a full refund. got home to find a worthless lump of rock in a box- not my fossil. ebay took all of 10 minutes to say i had no case.

this is FRAUD ebay.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

I sold a perfectly working used cell phone with no warranty or returns to a dishonest buyer who claimed item was not described correctly wants 65 percent of money back plus item? Dishonest buyer saying the item it's water damaged :smileysad: he knows he got 80% chances of ripping me off thanks to the stupidly nonsense ebay buyer protection program but what he doesn't know it's that I live 70 miles away from him :smileyhappy: , well either way how this case ends up, I'm done selling here and if you love your money and you worked hard for it reconsider before selling on ebay.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: EBay RIPS OFF SELLERS IN FAVOR OF BUYERS

in reply to find_it_here_at_nationwide
Reading this thread has made me lose all confidence with ebay.

I had just been scammed by a buyer in italy. I never intended to sell overseas but ebays global shipping program posted it without me realizing it.

Now its the same story. Buyer claims item was not as described, gets refu d and now Im out time, money and the laptop.

Im switching by business away from ebay and PayPal.
I guess I will look into dwolla
Seller protection is a joke!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: EBay RIPS OFF SELLERS IN FAVOR OF BUYERS

So recently I descovered just how little the folks in India (Those deciding cases) really care about protecting sellers. I sold a Jag Headlamp Assembly, the guy gets it and he is from South Carolina and then proceeds to send it to Georgia to his girlfriend to have put in her car. He does not open the item when he gets it, neither does she "alledgley" , she takes it in to a mechanic who only then opens the box outside the presence of the girlfriend and says its broke. A moth later the guy contacts us and wants his money back and then proceeds to tell us that he resent it to Georgia. We call ebay and they say "don't worry we got your back on this". So do you think they did? NO! When the guy esculated the case they ruled against us and told the guy to return the item to us for his money back. I called them and they said oh we are so sorry we should not have ruled in his favor but there is nothing we can do... Sorry! Then they send the guy a label directing the return to the wrong address and I have to go play fetch. After finally getting it back the Appeals person realized they should not have refunded the guy and "finally" gave me my money back after just a month of holding it.

Now there is the guy who we sold 2 T Mobile phones, who proceeds top go and have them activated on Metro PCS, then emails us and complains that he wants his money back, we say we can't give you your money back as you have activated these on Metro PCS nd they are T Mobile phones. Once again eBay rules in his favor and says we must taken them back even though they are now worthless because they have been flashed to Metro PCS.

Does ebay "ever" have the sellers back or is it just some illiusion they would like sellers to believe? We were Top Rated Sellers and we charge less than what we are charged for postage on everything we send, we pay $5.35 yet we charge $4.99 and have now lost our Top Rated Status because people kept hitting us for shipping charges and those should have been automatically removed but nope we lost our status and when I called they said oh we are so sorry we are going to re-investigate because you should not have lost your Top Rated status over that, but of course they did nothing "AGAIN".

It does not matter what we do, we loose, we have a no questions asked return policy but the fact is they don't want to return the item they want you to pay them and they want to keep the item and if you don't offer payment then they hit you with the stars and negative feedback. Ebay is now all about buyers and to be honest I could get everything I buy for free on ebay just by complaining and there are currently buyers all over ebay that use exactly that tactic and it does no good to report them or complain because ebay does nothing to he buyers, its only the sellers ebay goes after and attacks without cause because if you are a seller you will never be in the right in ebay's eyes.

We are to the point that we are going to have to step away, of the $48,000 our company made we took home $21,000, less than half of what we made because of refunds, ebay fees and paypal fees and it is just no longer worth the BS that we are subjected to by ebay. I could handle it if even once they tried to really protect a seller, but I don't believe that will ever happen and I just can't afford it anymore so I am really hoping that a new and improved site will soon become available that treats everyone equally. Maybe someday ebay will realize that they are turning away the very people who made this company in favor of what? They will never be Amazon.....

Please use plain text.