eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
thorssunglasshut
Community Member

Re: EBay RIP OFF...!!!!!

in reply to davestansbury

I have been selling for more than 6 months and selling mainly bulk items. The one thing I have noticed is it does not matter if you are honest and completely responsive to a buyer. If a buyer simply opens a case requesting a full refund they wll get it. I had ebay CS tell me without even receiving the return item to issue complete refund. Turns out if I would have without receiving the item I would not only have lost money but my product as well. These buyers simply google how to ripoff sellers and follow suite. Ebay will always side with buyer no matter what. It is up to the sellers to prove the buyer wrong or to prove the buyer did not return the item. After I proved the item was not returned I was re-issued the payment for a second time. If your a buyer simply open a case and it is then your to lose!! beware sellers.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to thorssunglasshut

I agree that Ebay is a rip-off.

They aren't very clear on their fees.  They charge 10% and then paypal snags another 4 or 5% from you.   All the sudden you've hit 15%.

The biggest surprise was on the shipping.  I shipped a lot of stuff and charged to ship what the shipping costs.  OOPS!  Ebay also will charge 10% on that shipping, so if you spent over $150 shipping as I ended up doing (while losing money on shipping), eBay is there to snag a little more money from you.  So yeah, 15% of the sales 15% of the shipping and  boom, they got you.

Very sneaky company.  I haven't been using ebay very much and to be honest, I won't be using them very much any longer.  After the people on the internet pay shipping and I pay my 15% on shipping + sales price - I can probably find  a local buyer to accept the same price.  Like I have a $500 iPad to sell - not sure if I should just sell in person for $425 - which may be better.  Who knows?

Everyone be warned though that Ebay is getting sneaky and slamming the sellers.

I called Ebay (obviously in India) and they say, "oh yeah, final value fee is 10%" well sure, I realized that - but they sneak the shipping and the paypal fees they charge.  Which makes a big difference (nearly half of my charges).  I'm going to high recommend avoiding Ebay - and I will probably avoid Ebay at all costs - maybe selling one more item then I'm done with this site.

Please use plain text.
record-hub
Community Member

in reply to steves8199
You cheated yourself out of $85.40. Shipping is generally paid by the buyer, but if you know that you'll be paying shipping, know what the actual shipping cost is and incorporate that into your price.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Ebay done the exact same thing to me awhile back. Buyer claimed damage in shipping but box was perfect with no damage. Seller wanted part of money back and I said no then filed claim with ebay. Ebay gave money back in same way

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Ebay = RIPOFF robbery on the highway ,i thought i was making money and when i check my ebay account and paypal lol both were taking out my money ,man my hard money what a ripoff , i hope this ebay company ends in ruins

Please use plain text.
Community Member

i sold one item to make money but ahah what a joke Ebay and paypal were taking out my money like they owe my bank and top of that i am paying for the shippment and what i get empty pocket ,what a shame i thought ebay is a good company .:manfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
lmang20
Community Member

Hey Lang:  Maybe you should start by reading up on the fees BEFORE you sell.  It's kinda helpful. 

Please use plain text.
omendata77
Community Member

[ Edited ]

Totally agree they are now charging on postage as well from sept 1 2013

i am done with ebay as a small seller you can make exactly  now

Dirty bunch of thieving greedy 

Worse than politicians!

And in a time of austerity how low can you go!

ebay im done

Amazon are fair!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cat16966

Ripped off as well.  They took 10% Plus paypal took an extra 3%.

Total loss over $100 for an $850 sale.  Never again.

Please use plain text.
bubblybabs
Community Member

a friend had same prob loads buyers say not received item even though posted she stopped selling now ripped off too many times
Please use plain text.
bubblybabs
Community Member

in reply to applemacint0sh
ive only been selling a few months and realising how much the fees are
Please use plain text.
thorssunglasshut
Community Member

in reply to record-hub

I agree but the problem is most customer want free shipping and there is always another seller willing to include free shipping. I order to be competitive in this market on most products you must be willing to pay for shipping. I sell low cost sunglasses and shipping eats up almost a third of my profits but without it I would not sell anything. A buyer will pay 7.99 for sunglasses and are not willing to pay 1.69 for shipping they will simply move on to next seller it sucks lol.

Please use plain text.
tmdragon12
Community Member

in reply to deerhunter182
Wait. on a >$1K item you are quibbling about $186? And you could have shipped it USPS for less? Explain to me which part is unfair.
Please use plain text.
thatsticker
Community Member

in reply to steves8199

This was an interesting way of presenting the argument but Ebay would not accept responsibility for the death of the family. At the end of the day, it is a business and it is our job as sellers to find the fine line between working the system in a way that makes us feel good about what we are doing and a way that is profitable. I have yet to find that happy medium and have been selling for a long time.

I am not on eBay's side as far as their profit margin goes. As a stockholder in Ebay, I honestly have not looked at how much eBay made last year after all overhead. Now I want to know! :smileysurprised:

TK

steelandstonebytk.blogspot.com

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to thatsticker

There aren't many places you can get millions (maybe billions) of people looking at the things you want to sell.  I have a website and I still sell on eBay too because I get way more business on eBay than I do on my website.  I've tried selling on some of the other auction sites and you don't get near the exposure - I didn't sell poot when I listed on them plus they are not as easy to navigate and use.  Not that I like paying the fees, and I don't think it is right charging a fee on shipping.... but blame the fee on shipping on those sellers that used to list an item for 99 cents and then the shipping $30 or something outrageous.  The only way eBay could stop that was to also charge a fee on shipping!  The bad apples hurt the good apples. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cat16966

ANYONE KNOWS THE ALTERNATIVE,!!!

Gumtree.com.au was bought by ebay, no longer independent .

Ebay is heading the same direction as Trading post .com.au

No private advertisers there anymore.

Tradingpost used to be the favorite for average Jo and small business alike. That's even before internet became popular.

I wonder if Ebay bought out Trading post also.

Well,

here is a way to get rich. Start a buy/sell internet site and wait word Ebay to make you an offer.

Big business runs every democratic country. - it IS called Democracy,.....  Or is it Communism??   Hmmm... What's the difference again?

cat16966 wrote:

got ripped off to in the last six months im down £1,600 i bought a car of e-bay and it needed to be scrapet e-bay would not do anyting ..£1025 and i sold an item on e-bay for £202 thay compland and thay got the refund and the items so with the car im now down £1,600 the biggest fraudsters is ebay to let people get away with it . thay have had over £1000 in fees of me in the last six mounths of me . i will be closing the account down and pay-pal are just as bad :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
tonywalantus
Community Member

Just had the same thing happen, I sold something... Then the buyer immediately emails saying they need more time to pay. I agree, then when I finally get the money in Paypal the person starts claiming the thing I sold, and antique golf ball compression tester, does not work. and wants me to send him approximately 70% of the money back. I email back that it was an antique and all modern golf balls will max out on it... like I wrote in the description. Emailed back and forth a couple times and they said they were experts and it was only worth 30% of what they bid.

So I sent Ebay an useless "report the buyer" complaint. I wanted to know what to do because I wanted to just get the item back. Useless because  I never heard a word from Ebay... Until a couple days later the buyer filed a complaint and the locked the amount down in my Paypal account. The buyer said "They wanted me to give them back 70% of the amount they bid... Or... Gulp... They were going to send the item back... I told them, send it on back!

FYI... paypal will lock your account down without telling you. Ebay will take the money from paypal automatically, without telling you and put it in "escrow". I clicked the refund the money button, but I'm guessing they will refund it automatically after a period of time. I'm sure it's in the terms and conditions... but what's up with not communicating at all with sellers?

Please use plain text.
fedupwithyourwebsite
Community Member

I agree with you. I have been with Ebay since 2003, but they can care less. I don't sell or buy that often because I have a full time job and I also go to school full time. I have always been honest with my postings. Never had a problem before. A new Ebayer comes in, no history whatsoever. This buyer buys my product. He gets free product. Ebay has Paypal hold the money for 20+ days per new policy. Buyer asks for my personal information,threatens to report me, calls me a fraud, reports me before he even gets the product. The product is a software code. Ebay sides with buyer without listening to my side. I call Ebay today to clear the air and they treat me like a criminal.Buyer is always right,they say. Now I look at my account.Buyer left nasty review.Ebay forces me to pay him back money they refunded to buyer,plus fees and shipping. Ebay wont even let me leave an honest feedback. To put the cherry on top, Ebay wont let me cancel my account either. I think we should start a class action lawsuit against Ebay's abusive policies.

Please use plain text.
fedupwithyourwebsite
Community Member

in reply to deerhunter182

I sat on hold for 20-30 minutes and I got a real person on the phone, but it was no help. They don't care about sellers. They don't even listen to what you have to say. They won't even let me close this account.

Please use plain text.
fedupwithyourwebsite
Community Member

in reply to leng-endary

Ebay was a good company. Their downfall started with having Paypal holding sellers' money and siding with buyers. Now, they are even announcing complete buyer impunity.

Please use plain text.