cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14% final value fees (eBay+PayPal) is a huge rip-off. Anyone agree?

I've about had it with eBay. The fees require that you mark-up your product up and price yourself out of the market. The only thing that makes sense to sell on eBay are event tickets and even that is a rip-off. If you sell 2 tickets for $600 younpay$84.00 in commissions.

Ridiculous.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Yes, it is, I have calculated years ago. Normally that would be our profit, but because came as hidden fee most of people are not realizing it, they think they made some money, haha. I try to sell everything out of Ebay, just only special things, where profit margin is higher than 14% and cannot be sold other place.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I've also had it with Ebay. I've been a member for over 16 years. i've probably sold over 2000 items and have a feedback score of 1712 positives (NO NEGATIVES). Yet because I had to cancel some buys (5) during the past year....(3 were because the item was found to have defects, 1 because the shipping charge was way off and 1 because my wife decided to keep it), that ridiculous sellers dashboard put me below standard and now Ebay wants to charge me 14% FVF which now means I'll pay 17% in fees (14% + paypal's 3%). Funny but the buyers never left me negative feedback and in fact 3 of the buyers rebought the items I originally canceled.  Ebay's management has lost touch with reality so now I've listed all my items on ETSY. ETSY charges a total of 6.5% fee (that includes direct deposit). It cost $0.20 to lis an item for 4 MONTHS not $0.30 for 1 month like Ebay. Check out ETSY if you want a more seller friendly place to sell. Ebay can take their fees and shove it.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I had exact same issue, but I lost the inventory in a move and had to return $$ . Started to relist an almost fell over with final value fee of 14%. I had 16 years of 100% feedback and that doesn't count. I'm going to check out Etsy. I hate to overcharge customers but Im now shipping on my money to build up seller performance
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Totally agree. I won't be using Ebay or paypal anymore.I've been a seller for over ten years but I'm totally done now. The fees are absolutely ridiculous.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Imagine, guys who were selling Iphone X over 1000 usd after launch, ebay was easily earning more money / device as the sellers did. Without risk!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Yes, these fruitcakes are taking advantage of sellers.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thought I start selling off my motorcycle parts inventory, but after I saw what ebay+paypal are taking away from you, this was my first and last item I will put up for sale. It is always the same story with the big companies they rip you off because they can. To bad there is no real competition out there. It is getting better though. I will start selling my stuff through Facebook Marketplace, there are also plenty of groups, like in my case motorcycle groups which specialize in certain things. If you sell something there you only have to deal with the payment, no fees.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply