cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

Last night I received a disturbing Paypal payment, it was definately different. The email said in part...
"You've received a payment....blah blah blah... We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction...blah blah blah....We’ll release the hold in 21 days..."

The email further states that Paypal/eBay MAY release the funds early if:
1. The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
2. We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.

The email also instructed me to SHIP the item right away.

No. 1: I don't need eBay or Paypal to advise me on something I already do very well. Although we are relatively new at this, we have STELLAR Rating of 100%.

No. 2: A 21 Day Hold on our money is B.S! Its OUR money. But of course this maneuver allows Ebay & Paypal to significantly increase revenue by reaping (raping) the interest on millions of dollars.

I too want eBay to be a safe and trusted shopping venue, but this punishes those of us who follow the rules. It should be implemented on only those who are failing to provide quality customer service.

I also noticed the sneakiness involved. This was not widely broadcast in advance (I don't recall hear/reading anything about it) and It was implemented on a Friday afternoon. I sure hope everyone raises 2 colors of hell about this. Lodge a Formal Complaint.

Uncle Fred
Message 1 of 365
latest reply
364 REPLIES 364

Re: eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

Sure do not see you listing any items????????   A lot of talk and no Selling. Smiley Tongue

Message 271 of 365
latest reply

I just sold a Laptop and the Funds  were available in my PayPal  I think 2 or 3 days after  it showing Delivered so I guess it's not a 21 day HOLD at all. So it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Woman Very Happy

Message 272 of 365
latest reply

Posting ID.

Message 273 of 365
latest reply

Few post with an active ID as if you upset someone they can mess with your selling account easily.

Most have several ids
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 274 of 365
latest reply

Well of coarse you just can't have ONE we all know that. LOL    Smiley LOL

Message 275 of 365
latest reply

@popeye96321when rebud (a long time seller and advisor on the boards) advised that people need to " the procedures on getting funds released sooner," another poster accused him of being a "cool aid drinker" I.e. someone who agrees with/defends eBay/PayPal.

As you found out, redbud was totally correct. There is a way to get finds released sooner. Sellers need to apprise themselves of policies, before going off half cocked or making I'll informed decisions.

Since you state you have been selling on eBay since 2003, I'm sure you are very well versed on the ins and outs of selling in a category fraught with the problems you describe.

For whatever reason YOU have decided to sell those items and not change product lines. Which, for the most part, very few categories are problem free.

Here's some advice, there is no such thing as an AS IS sale, on eBay. The buyer always has the eBay money-back guarantee, which trumps your AS IS.

eBay doesn't require sellers to offer any type of warranty, so your doing so is completely voluntary, nice but unnecessary. If you feel it's hurting your business, don't offer it.

If you are selling an item and aren't 100% sure it will perform, list under item condition "for parts not working." Don't put anything in the description indicating the item even turns on. That way, buyers can't hit you with NAD cases, when all they are after was to cannibalize your item. (This is usually the behavior of reseller not end users).

I like your idea of tamper proof seals and know that other sellers have had success with similar techniques, in various categories. Buyers who want to scam are less likely to buy from sellers who are proactive in protecting their merchandise and less likely to try to use and return, etc.

Another thing you can do is put in listings that you use a mark on the pieces, to be able to identify that you get the part you sent.

Good luck and glad you figured out how to get your money released by PayPal by presenting online viewable tracking showing the parcel marked as delivered.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 276 of 365
latest reply

ebay does not go by there own rules......I have complyed with everything and still paypa holds my money....

"To make sure everything looks good with your selling account, your funds are pending in PayPal for up to 21 days, until it’s been 90 days since your first successful sale, your seller level is Above Standard or higher, and you’ve had at least 25 selling transactions worth a combined $250. We do this to help ensure that eBay is a safe and trusted place to buy."

Message 277 of 365
latest reply

You might need to call pay pal
Message 278 of 365
latest reply

I am up in arms over this entire bull**bleep** - I've had 6 holds in the past 90 days, all for big dollar items that I have just got the **bleep**s of the entire bunch of buyers on eBay  - where did these **bleep**wits comes from - i take a 5 year break from eBay and returns with dip**bleep**s who just could **bleep**in care less and **bleep** about nothing to get **bleep** for free.

Now dealing with a nice scammer from Cali who decided to force me to pay $15 return money on a $40 purchase and now has filed a claim after refusing to return the item - these people are  hilarious, but i've had enough bull**bleep** for 3 months to fill up a semi truck.

Message 279 of 365
latest reply

Ebay in conjunction with paypal continue to erode any seller confidence on it’s platform. This 21 day hold is nothing more than another seed money earned on interest squeeze concocted in the ebay boardroom to maximum fees. Ebay’s 2 % or less DSR ratings automatically will trigger 21 day holds.

In any other retail platform on earth, brick and morter or ecommerce site 2% is unattainable. Ebay drove away all the big box stores off of ebay with their idiotic policies.. 8-10% fees on shipping charges, overcharged paypal fees, overcharged FVF, 21 interest bearing of 1-2 % to ebay’s purses. You see, ebay knows that it can’t recruit and maintain new sellers, that it simply relies on quarterly earnings based on Wall street expectations.. The only viable way that ebay /paypal can maintain profit margins is to find new ways to squeeze out the eroding seller source. You would of thought that D minus management would find new ways to attract sellers, but they can’t. Ebay’s draconian policies will trump out any small to medium sellers business plan. Sellers are nothing more than suppliers who are made to wait for payment because ebay can’t manage it’s cash flows.  Ebay could reclaim it’s glory and attract those lucrative hobbyist, small business sellers but it chooses not to..  

Message 280 of 365
latest reply

One would think my post was a complaint.......nay nay i say i make a hell of a lot more money NOT selling on ebay.

Message 281 of 365
latest reply

Yes Ebay doesn't play by it's own rules.. There isn't any fairness towards sellers. Regardless of your longprovin sales history record on ebay, if you don't resolve issues with buyers and don't maintian a .30% rating on not resolving esculation issues with buyers, Ebay/Paypal will automaticlaly place 21 days holds. Any buyer can esculate and ask ebay to step in regardless of what you say in the resolution center notes.. A buyer can wear a dress that you sold, put stains on it, go out to social events make a deliberate hole in the dress and then file a cliam for item not as described or deliberatly damaging the item in a guise as buyer remorse. Ebay will force you to send them a return shipping label, which you have to pay for and wait for the item.. You will be stuck with paying both ways for return shipping, your paypal funds will be placed on hold and ebay  and it's philiphine call center witl decide for the buyer regardless of the evidence you have.  Then this will count agaisnt you as a defect rate and if another unscrupulous buyer manipulates the system again and esculate and files a claim again and you lose, you will exceed the .30% case closed without seller resoultion and any further sales you have for that month, 21 day holds will kick in.. You see, ebay doesn't care about sellers, your long establised sales history or feedback..  There isn't any fair play, the system designed by ebay sets up for nothing more than corruption and collusion. Ebay can't attract new sellers. Those enthusiastic sellers, hobbiest, small business who sold beautiful unique hard to find items have long left this platform. Sellers are afraid to list items because of the unaccountable policies in place that have no protection for sellers..  ebay had the golden goose paypal until Carl Icahn forced ebay out.. Ebay hasn't been able to maintain quaterly projects of sales as well. SellersI will not sell internationally for fear of manipulation of buyers. So the only recourse ebay has is to squeeze out it's shrinking sellers resource for a greater percentage margin.. this 21 day holds, go into a interest bearing account which ebay earns off you and my money which is very questionable and fishy tactic.. If ebay wants to grow it's busines, it's relationship with sellers must change.. Get rid of any 21 day holds, get rid of DSR ratings period.  if ebay is going to force sellers to pay for return shipping labels, ebay needs to credit the seller back for those funds immediately.  ebay needs to bring back those glory days and era of those mom and pop business, those hobbist who sold great stuff on ebay in the past. It was after all the sellers that attracted buyers to this site with incredible finds and built up ebay..

Message 282 of 365
latest reply

The policies are stated, you just learn to work between them as best you can.

Like paragraphs, they make things easier to read
Message 283 of 365
latest reply

Nonsense.  Ebay is a hostile place for sellers.  They are illegally holding peoples money in escrow and keeping the dividends of interest.  The entire ghost staff of customer service who never answers any email sent to them unless by a back door route, then some foreign person who cannot fathom commerce in the United States writes back a rote form letter.  Stop trying to take up for a company that punishes its sellers, while giving unpaying, whining, buyers a free ride. .  the fact you cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer,   just reinforces what Im saying.   And No, you don't just take it lying down. .  you make Government regulate these people with the laws that already exist.   They act like they are a bank.  Paypal too.

Message 284 of 365
latest reply

excellent post
Message 285 of 365
latest reply