cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

Last night I received a disturbing Paypal payment, it was definately different. The email said in part...
"You've received a payment....blah blah blah... We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction...blah blah blah....We’ll release the hold in 21 days..."

The email further states that Paypal/eBay MAY release the funds early if:
1. The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
2. We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.

The email also instructed me to SHIP the item right away.

No. 1: I don't need eBay or Paypal to advise me on something I already do very well. Although we are relatively new at this, we have STELLAR Rating of 100%.

No. 2: A 21 Day Hold on our money is B.S! Its OUR money. But of course this maneuver allows Ebay & Paypal to significantly increase revenue by reaping (raping) the interest on millions of dollars.

I too want eBay to be a safe and trusted shopping venue, but this punishes those of us who follow the rules. It should be implemented on only those who are failing to provide quality customer service.

I also noticed the sneakiness involved. This was not widely broadcast in advance (I don't recall hear/reading anything about it) and It was implemented on a Friday afternoon. I sure hope everyone raises 2 colors of hell about this. Lodge a Formal Complaint.

Uncle Fred
Message 1 of 365
latest reply
364 REPLIES 364

Re: eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

Oh my dude.  Let people vent.  

Message 196 of 365
latest reply

Venting smells at times
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 197 of 365
latest reply

Just took down all of my listings. I'm an ebay seller since 2007 and they've decided to hold my $ because I didn't have enough sells to keep my "performance level"?!  Buh bye!

Message 198 of 365
latest reply

Equally after holding an account since 2006, selling since 2010/11, I have put a lot of money through eBay, I have 100% positive feedback, and yes, my last sale on Friday, despatched Friday, arrival on track today, payment will be withheld for 21 days because I have not had 25 feedbacks in 3 moths! It is disgraceful. Extortion over the grand scheme of things! Imagine how many people they have done this to and the amount of interest they are earning! This should be stopped now!
Message 199 of 365
latest reply

It's not disgraceful, it's a policy.

What's disgraceful is not reading the rules
Message 200 of 365
latest reply

It is disgraceful, the rules I read were 9/10 years ago & said a hold for new sellers. This new rule was introduced in 2014 the manager told me & if you don't sell enough items & get 25 feedbacks in 90 days then you don't get your money for 21 days! Even if you have tracking, delivered with happy buyer & good feedback & clean record! If you had poor record, unhappy customers etc fair enough, but to force hobby sellers into minimum sales criteria or withhold their money is a step too far, they make enough money on fees, without extra fees, seems like an issue for Trading Standards & the Unfair Terms dept! Although as they are so powerful & can tread all over everyone & get away with it, I doubt anything will be done. So yes it is disgraceful.
Message 201 of 365
latest reply

No such thing as a "hobby seller" here
Message 202 of 365
latest reply

The problem is that people don't take complaints to the right source. a 21 day hold is against money transmitting regulations in most states. If consumers - and that is both buyers and small sellers - take their objections to the states' attorney general office or dept of commerce, the cases are typically viewed favorably and funds released after PayPal is forced to 'review' the accounts. The holds are only supposed to be used in cases where there is evidence of consumer fraud. Paypal is abusing the policy and if called on it by regulators they lose. Simply publishing bad faith business practices in their service agreements as a default modus operandi and having people go along with it because they don't know they have recourse doesn't make it right. for instance, in MD, officials had received only one complaint about PayPal holding funds. One. And PayPal was told to knock it off.
BTW, in business and in life, a little empathy and humility go a long way. I hope you don't have to learn that the hard way. Live long and prosper!
Message 203 of 365
latest reply

Pay pal can also close any members account or restrict it.

And did pp "knock it off"?
Message 204 of 365
latest reply

That sounds like a good idea? Is that the same in the UK do you know?
Message 205 of 365
latest reply

redbud_farm - you have way too much time on your hands. There are plenty of people that want to do a one off sale. If eBay would like to only cater to big companies, they better get prepared to go out of business.
Message 206 of 365
latest reply

Or become like amazon.

Seem I'm not the only one with too much time
Message 207 of 365
latest reply

Removing all listing and closing ebay account. Craigslist only from now on. Screw ebay, I will not wait a month to get paid. Discount your item on Craigslist the amount of the seller fees and you get the same amount of money, it sells faster, and no worries about "payment holds".

Message 208 of 365
latest reply

Just how safe are you meeting people.

Personally know one that was murdered meeting a buyer
Message 209 of 365
latest reply

Great speech. You should become a politician)
Message 210 of 365
latest reply