eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: SCAMS committed by eBay buyers:

in reply to moviestarmaker

I recently refund a buyer of mine for 2 reasons: unresponsive to emails and the buyer's history.  The thing that caught my eye at first is when you sell something on eBay, you get an email from eBay first saying your item sold.  Then usually when they pay through paypal you get another email from paypal saying they have sent payment.  Well in my case, I got the email from paypal first and then the notification email from eBay.  I found that very odd as I've sold over 20+ items on before eBay and never once got paypal's email before eBay's.  Whether it was a mishap or scam, I couldn't take the risk of losing my expensive camera gear, so i opened a case to cancel the transaction and refunded the money back to the seller on paypal.

Community Member

[ Edited ]

Hi there, I have just been scammed by a member and eBay took their side! I am utterly disgusted. The person lied, altered a USPS tracking information and submitted it to the Resolution Center. I appealed and the jerks would NOT go to the **bleep** USPS.com website which would PROVE the person is a scammer and they lied. 

How is this possible that these foreign support idiots do NOT understand how the tracking system works. If an item is delivered via USPS it says DELIVERED on the website. If the package says RETURNED TO SENDER without being DELIVERED that means that there was a problem with the label on the package. The people at the actual Post Office offered to speak to eBay and eBay DELCINED??!!?!? **bleep** is that about??? 

The scammer got the package back and put a CLEAN label on it, and sent THAT picture to eBay! It's obvious because...if the label WAS the original, it would have had postal markings on it.  Taaa Daaa...the ebay Resolution clowns could NOT understand THAT either. Why I wonder...Hmmm could it be because they aren't located in the United States and have no f*cking idea how our mail system works? 

The scammer won, took my money and I have NOT receieved the package. This is utterly disgusting and for eBay to do this is beyond irresponsible.

Steve from CT

magusat9999
Community Member

[ Edited ]

Right now I'm waiting on some open cases where a couple of scammers are playing the "broken item" game. One of them had pictures of another camera, which eBay did not catch and gave him the decission - but I have an appeal coming, based on the picture of the obvious different camera and I DID take serial number pics and notes down for that and all of my items.

The other scammer claims that BOTH motor drives I sent him with two different Nikon sets are defective - claiming corrosion and breakage. These people must think they are dealing with junk re-sellers, who don't use or inspect their merchandise. I was using these cameras up until a month before selling them, and I know that the motor drives were clean and in perfect condition. This scumbag is planining on sending me some broken motor drive - claiming it was the one I sold him!

Again I have serial numbers and also I can tell if someone has opened it up (to switch parts). This sleaze even tried to extort 3 times more than what these motor drives go for, raising a red flag about his integrity. I am not a dealer, I know my equipment very well. neither of these people have a clue what they are about to face trying to scam me - its going to be more than just eBay they are going to be worrying about - someone is going to do some time behind this!

Oh yeah - and this other creep who opens a case saying "I dont want it anymore, I want my money back..." i reminded him that there is no refunds or returns - AND THEN he suddenly states that I sent him a lens that I have never oned in my life! SO he just flat out LIES to try and get his money back??? Or is he planning on sending me some busted lens and keep the one I sold him - plus the money??? All I wanted to do was pass along some good equipment to someone who would use it, need it and appreciate it - and I get this **bleep**! It makes me not even want to deal with eBay anymore - its so full of schemers its ridiculous.

Community Member

And an other one:

This buyer received the item, having paid for it by Paypal, but then said it wasn't as per description on the selling site. She refused to return it and put a freeze on the Paypal credit.  Her claims about the damage to the item are ridiculous but  I offered to refund the money if she returned it. But she refused to do that.

I'm now without item and have paid out for postage and packing.

In addition, since the payment is marked on Ebay as 'received' they won't do anything about this and have deducted the fee as if I did recieve payment.

This is an easy scam to perform. I don't use Ebay anymore as there is no way you can protect yourself against these types of buyer and Ebay doesn't care.

lovemet4l
Community Member

in reply to creatureunlimited

After finally talking to an Ebay representative who knows what he's talking about, here are some helpful sites for tracking customs/tracking numbers starting with letters!

1. http://www.track-trace.com/post

select "track with options"

select the country on the lefthand side

2. http://www.trackitonline.ru

My buyer was located in Russia - this one is Russia specific

There are also ways to show the delivery address is invalid, which resulted in the package being lost in transit. The right Ebay representative can help you with that.

lovemet4l
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to creatureunlimited

"

Here is how EBAY Buyers abroad get FREE STUFF

International Shipping Scam tolerated by EBAY BUYER PROTECTION

Here is how the Scam works

Seller place item on EBAY

International Buyer wins item and pays for item plus S&H

You print international postage and custom forms from EBAY and get a tracking number starting with two letters and followed by numbers

You Ship item thru USPS

LOOK AND BEWARE

USPS accepts item

Item makes it all the way to Jamaica NY, 11430 USPS Origin Sort Facility

NOW USPS Tracking number stops here

Tracking numbers that starts with letters do not require scanning or tracking by destination Country Postal Service

Item is now en route to destination

HERE IS THE SCAM

Buyer waits a couple of weeks

Buyer place a claim to EBAY RESOLUTION CENTER stating he did not receive item

even if they did receive the item in question

EBAY Resolution Center contact Seller to provide USPS Tracking Number

Tracking Number shows final destination as Jamaica, NJ USPS Origin Sort Facility

EBAY Resolution Center will never receive a tracking confirmation from destination and will never receive proof of delivery even if item has arrived to destination.

Case is closed in FAVOR of Buyer because tracking number can not be accounted for after Jamaica, NJ , USPS Origin Sort Facility

Buyer gets back FULL amount they paid plus S&H

Buyer Gets Items for FREE and All Money Back

Seller is out of Item and Money

EBAY Resolution Center answer to this is that Seller should have had the item insured and registered

EBAY Resolution Center do not control any part of the shipping process that is “ conveniently” located on it's website.

Tracking number is absolutely USELESS

EBAY BUYER PROTECTION will close claim on BUYERS FAVOR knowing this SCAM is HAPPENING

USPS do not have any mechanism in place for you to file a CLAIM for stuff sold internationally

Seller is SCREWED

Creatureunlimited Lost $39.45

DO NOT BE THE NEXT VICTEM"

Just happened to me. I didn't realize Buyer Protection has become so corrupt. Last time I had a similar scenario, Ebay accepted the customs number as proof from me.

Here is what USPS said:

"Thank you for contacting us about your first class international lk##########us I understand that you would
like additional information Unfortunately, the number you provided is a customs label number, rather than a tracking number.
We generally will scan these items at acceptance within the United States, but this type of number is not scanned for
tracking purposes outside the United States.
It is possible that your item has already been delivered. However, if the recipient says it has not been received,
your best option is to have the recipient contact their delivery service in the foreign country."

If Ebay actually listened to what USPS is suggesting, the problem would be solved. I am on the phone right now arguing that the buyer should be required to provide evidence from his mail service that he made a reasonable attempt to check on the package with that customs number.

I will be closing my account because this is only of many Buyer Protection abuse stories I have had recently. The money I make after the inflated fees is not worth the frustration anymore.

redsun21
Community Member

HERE'S A NEW ONE!!!

This has happened to me 3 times already in 3 months.This seems more of a Paypal and Ebay glitch than anything but scammers use it.Buyer opens a case claiming the item is not as described,ok no problem right?Sure buyer, just return it.The money from that transaction is automatically put on hold in your Paypal account then then the buyer returns the item with NO tracking number,hmm really,why?You get the item back and go to the resolution center and use the "issue a full refund" option NOT the "request buyer to return then refund" option and when you do that Paypal immediately issues an e-check from your back account for the refund.Wait,what happened to that money that was already put on hold from the buyer opening a case?Well it also gets refunded back to the buyer when you click the "issue a full refund" option!!! WIN WIN for the buyer indeed,and it really gets interesting when the buyer buys a Square Trade Warranty Policy and claims it on your new sealed item.WIN WIN WIN!!! Even funnier,they buy the Square Trade warranty off Ebay!!!

Lesson I learned: Unless they provide a tracking number on the return option DO NOT REFUND A DIME!!! And NEVER use the issue a full refund option...ever!

markedward65
Community Member

in reply to twofusvarietysales

Very informative thread ya gots here, only prob is it's only one side of the coin.

But this side of the coin has the biggest issue IMO. Bad buyers have too much power over good sellers.

Seller scams..bait and switch......adv no returns.........ending auctions @ last minute.......the,  I can't test this to confirm it's working, when they know it's broken...... false adv via photos, lets say photo shows 2 items and you only receive one...pic= 1000 words

In the real world some of the issues^^^ can be avoided if the buyer asks questions first before buying.

There are more but it would never get to a 9 page thread.

I am NOT a seller BUT I do have to side with most of them, because most I think really try to do their best.

Just stepped in to say NOT all buyers are bad.

No reply necessary as I prolly won't be back to read it.

Ok gather around everyone........

((((((((((((((((((group hug)))))))))))))))))))))))

tossing a coin now to see ifin I should post this..........................

***********************************************I'm amusing myself~WARd**************************************************************************
twofusvarietysales
Community Member

[ Edited ]

DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBE:

We listed a video camera BRAND NEW AND SEALED, SOLD IT, SHIPPED IT AND BUYER RECEIVED IT THE SAME WAY. Buyer left negtive feedback and opened a claim with pay pal NOT EBAY!

Buyer was informed that we have a 14 days return policy. Buyer did not want to ship it back but still wanted his money back, stating the item was defective. (NOTE* BRAND NEW AND SEALED AS SHOWN IN THE PHOTO'S).

Buyer received his money back, kept the item from PAY PAY. NOTE* Pay Pal gave him his money back, Pay pal did not give him funds out of our account so we were not faulted for the funds to be refunded. Buyer still left us neg. feedback. I've complained to ebay about this buyer whom has a record of giving neg. feedback to sellers and he's probably getting refunds for the claims opened through pay pal and keepting the items.

See his feedback he's left for sellers. More neg. than positives and it shows he started ebay this year. OPEN YOUR EYES EBAY, THIS BUYER IS SCAMMING SELLERS AND PAY PAL. There must be a reason this buyer is not opening claims through ebay but opening them through pay pal.

Community Member

I've been selling online and getting payment through Paypal for 8+ yrs. I just had my first bad experience with a paypal payment. Here is what happened:

Buyers Name: Valter Cartella (From Spain)

He claimed that the boots we sent him were used and green (we sent him new black boots) Paypal sided with him. He returned his old green boots and got a new pair in exchange and paypal gave him a full refund including the shipping to spain for the order that he returned. Here is what we emailed paypal (still have not received a response)

Please allow us to preface that we are not an individual. We are a reputable company, in business for over a decade, and  doing several hundred thousand dollars a year in sales annually. We have been accepting PayPal on our site ever sine we began (under the name BrightIdeasUSA.Biz) You can view our site to verify this (DontGetHit.com). We sell only one color and style of hip-boots on our site. They are BLACK, and of course in NEW condition. We do not sell any used products. Additionally, two managers here reviewed this order before it was shipped to Spain. They both vouch the boots were black and new. The customer  returned to us a pair of GREEN, USED, and DIRTY boots, of a DIFFERENT model than we even have available on our site. This is a SCAM. He kept the new pair we sent him and then came crying to PayPal that we sent him some junk. Will PayPal be duped? We have never had such an experience before. We can further verify our claim through our vendor. They too only sell  one particular model of the hip-boot, and only in BLACK. And Of course, they too only sell NEW goods. See http://www.hygradesafety.com/wear/boots_mac.html . Thank You,

Community Member

in reply to oliver906susan

Ebay Flea bay used to sell on here now would not touch it,  If you want something for nothing Fleabays your place they demand it....Hopefully or in my dreams one day Fleabay will crash and burn but It wont happen , they make money and average Joe can buy and get his money back.

Average Joe Being A Thief as any SCAMMER is

Community Member

in reply to cutflowers2012

hey just got scammed my self. ebay buyer. recieved the item and opened a case of item not recieved the same hour. i called ebay and they told me they are fully aware that i got scammed but they are a middle party and will not engage in a resolution. there system will not allow me to appeal either. so in conclusion, ebay has a nice loop hole for who ever wants a decent item that one cant afford. christmas is going to be delightful.  

Community Member

in reply to collectablememories52

My latest one was I kept getting emails from 2 different people to get my bicycle cheaper. The one said hes from California, we'll call him treasure. (I'm from Pa) & he wants it cheaper because he has to come and pick it up.The second one (Call her Carol) said shes deaf and has a bicycle museum. She would never ever resell it and she would make sure we get credit..Its only fair that we sell it to her for a low price because she is disabled and has to pick it up from Va. We started suspecting its one person. Upon investigation, Treasure had lots of negative feed back and one was he lied where he comes from. As for Carol all she sells is bicycle parts.!According to her profile she lives an hour away from us! We werent supposed to know its one person but she accdently emailed us from Treasures email

Community Member

Item SCAM committed by eBay buyer

WARNING!! I've had a buyer who first wouldn't pay then his credit card was blocked, when I finally received funds buyer stated first he didn't receive item. I told him item was sent international signed for, 2 days later he had to admit he received item but now he stated it wasn't the original item and it didn't work (he swapped original item against Chinese fake) so be aware because EBay doesn't do anything about this!! I've contacted them several times, no reply whatsoever.
Community Member

in reply to bambi-lee

Reading all these posts just makes me sick to my stomach. I am so sorry you guys got scammed. This makes me to not want to be a seller on here. No seller protection whatsoever and you can't even leave negative feedback for the scammers. :-(

Thank you for posting all this info, though. It's very helpful. But I'm disliking ebay more and more each day.

bambi-lee
Community Member

Once you file 3 or 4 of these claims ebay will revoke your seller protection. They did it to me. THEY ARE REFUSING TO REINBURSE SELLERS FOR FRAUD AFTER 3 or 4 CLAIMS!!!

bambi-lee
Community Member

in reply to bambi-lee

It has become too risky to sell used and vintage items on EBAY, too risky. I suffered $800 in losses last month from the swap out scam. I do not see how I can continue on ebay any longer. The risk is too great as I have vintage collectibles and used car and motorcycle parts, it is just pointless to continue, anything I send out now has the potential of being returned fraudulently and I will suffer the loss of all fees, my item and the shipping. I fear my days on ebay are quickly coming to a close. There is NO WAY to warn other sellers about these buyers nor any way to stop them, they simply register a new name and start over, there is NO FEEDBACK SYSTEM. There is no recourse short of interstate litigation to attempt to recover my losses. Ebay policy is designed to kill the small seller and it is effective. BE AWARE buyers have learned they are untouchable they can send back a box of wood sticks now the proper weight and ebay will return their money. You can not use Buyer protection more than a few times before ebay will revoke your buyer protection. Sellers are at complete risk no matter what we do to protect ourselves now.

bambi-lee
Community Member

in reply to recycleaning

TAKE NOTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ebay has changed it's policy... if you are scammed multiple times they will revoke your seller protection in essence making you have no protection for swapouts or scams.... they have done this to me. 3 or 4 times over the past 2 years I demanded that ebay reinburse me for buyers swapping out my good items and returning their broken ones. Be AWARE! They are suffering so much loss that again they heap the damage onto the seller.

If I sent out an alternator and the buyer returns his non working alternator I get NO PROTECTION! NONE!

BE AWARE!!!!!! If you nake 3 or 4 claims ebay will remove all protection for damaged or swapped out returns!!!!!

Community Member

So tired of these people. Twice in the last year I have had buyers claim NAD. One didn't realize in the photos he took his reflection and  several employees in the camera shop he worked in were very clearly visible in the reflection of the camera lens he claimed was damaged. After having MA police check the delivery address for the addressee, it turns out the gang was buying cameras for resale and having them delivered to an unoccupied address then claiming they didn't work or had cosmetic damage (magnified 500x I can find damage on anything) and should get them for free or will return negative feedback. When I pointed out I had a clear shot of their faces, the guy suddenly agreed the camera for his "nephew's graduation present" was just perfect.

This week I have gone back and forth with a buyer that said I had sent the wrong champagne flutes however I had actually done that. I immediately offered a refund and a shipping label for their return so I could swap them for the correct pair for her set of 4. She refuses to return the two until I shipped the new ones and insisted she would only pay by check which she would send with the return once she received the other two. I explained she would have then purchased 6 glasses for $45 that are worth almost $400 and I'd have no recourse in addition to the fact that I couldn't conduct a transaction outside eBay or accept a personal check. Another buyer had contacted me saying she pulled the same thing on him a month ago claiming a piece of stemware had a scratch. I sent her two stems with original stickers and in original packaging (same packaging they were given to me in 23 yeas ago, I checked them before shipping and she's claiming they "appeared used". People will stop at nothing for $ and I am close to giving up eBay altogether. When I finally told her I would refund the entire amount (after seeing her attempt to resell and double her $), she started sending random emails that I had not responded to her open case in  timely fashion. I had responded within 10 minutes of each communication and when I copied her on the notes showing dates and times, she immediately decided to send everything back. I'm always wary when I notice someone buying a lot of the same things and yet they have no items for sale...likely because they scam on one account and sell on another. I did an address check on the shipping address for another case and once again, it is a retail store and her online shop shows my "damaged" items as "perfect" and for sale. Annoying yes, getting old and tired of the scammer games. Her return package weighs 28lbs...I have a feeling she's sending back bricks rather than 2 wine glasses! :smileyhappy: 

fortunehumanhairwigs
Community Member

[ Edited ]

i had almost been a victim of the Fake Money Order / Cashier's Check scam but ripped up the check when i realized it was 6X the amount i was selling my item for. Watch out