eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Homeless

in reply to discuss*stuff

we hitched around most of 1969 before coming home to start a family and join the "rat race".

so "homeless" in a way, stayed in parks, crash pads and mansions with servents. it was an experiance we still like remembering.

nothing like today's homeless , few even realy "see" them on the streets. i saw quite a few when i worked early shifts . we'd drop off clothes and camping things at one site . things we got in box lots at auctions. not a lot of $ but items most could use, especially cooking items.

was warned by police that we were encougaging them to stay, lol i'd think we were helping them to get away over time

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Please use plain text.
discuss*stuff
Community Member

Thanks IPick.

There are a few topics that I can draw from due to personal experience...often times the two words "homeless" and "problem" don't really go together...it's more a perception issue.

I've never really considered myself homeless but I spent a number of years "addressless"...other than perhaps the use of a mail center from time to time...or general delivery.

I prefer to look at the situation as having new wall paper everyday...always had a vehicle...carried tools...if it broke down that's where I lived for the time being.

Along the way I did handyman work and lived in some houses that most on here likely could not afford...I lived in a canyon on the hillside overlooking the Santa Barbara Harbor...guaranteed a view beyond the means of other than the top 1 or 2%.

So what?

Getting back to perception...I had a friend that needed assistance moving out of Montana so I drove up from Arizona...along the way down I had some major mechanical problems with my van full and her trailer load...we ran short of funds in Wyoming on our way back down to Arizona...it was winter time.

I went into a Wal-Mart to get some transmission fluid and she had made up a sign, "Christian Lady needs gas money to get home for Christmas"...she got all dolled up with nice clothes, lipstick...looking good.

As I returned she kinda gave me a don't say a word look as she was talking to a lady...I went on about pouring tranny fluid...the lady hollered across the lot a ways to a friend asking if she had any money...the short of it is, the lady gave her twenty bucks...and I was only gone like five minutes...this can work and I told her "not too shabby"...she said "Yeah, especially if you add it to the twenty-five I got just before that"...$45 in less than ten minutes...it never took over an hour to get enough money for a tank full of gas and something to eat.

But then it started bothering her so when we got to Provo I made up a sign, "Handyman will work for gas money to get home for Christmas"...after about an hour of standing there and getting nothing, nada, zip, zilch...other than dirty looks...she decided to give it a try...within 10 minutes there was a lady who had us follow her to a gas station where she filled us up...thank you very much...and we were on the road again...headin' south for the winter...back to where we owned property.

ebay...the new spectator sport
Please use plain text.
ipickubuy
Community Member

Well said, Discuss.  

********************************************************************************

The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose.

For the sake of others, please learn CPR. You could save a life.

Please use plain text.
discuss*stuff
Community Member

He has created doubt.  I don't want to think that hard. If I see someone who looks like they could use help I want to help them without having to think about whether or not they are trying to take advantage of me. 

If you would care to give it a bit more thought I'd be curious as to what makes you think he is taking advantage of anyone?

Is it the rent vouchers bit?

Other than that...I saw nowhere in the article that he was taking advantage of anyone or even asking for a thing...he's got a regular income and spends his time kicking back and watching the show...I'd be willing to bet that rather than throw a quarter at the guy as you walked by...stop and chat...maybe even spend a few days with him...guaranteed experience of a lifetime and likely a moment you could cherish.

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

That man may be an accurate representation of the majority of homeless people.  Or, he may be an island.  Who is to say for sure?

He has created doubt.  I don't want to think that hard. If I see someone who looks like they could use help I want to help them without having to think about whether or not they are trying to take advantage of me. 

That is what happens.  It is the people who take advantage of others who always make it worse for honest people, whether they are rich or poor. 

I'm sure this opportunist could care less.  They never do.

Have a great evening.

* * * * * * Always act like you are wearing an invisible crown. * * * * * *
Please use plain text.
ipickubuy
Community Member

Yes, it will penalize those who "deserve" the help, and that's very sad.  I don't think I'd let one man's actions dictate how I choose to help others, but that's just my 2 cents worth.  

********************************************************************************

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

Whatever he has been through it has taught him to take advantage of people by misrepresenting himself.  That is very unfortunate.

I give to homeless people all the time.  I probably am being taken advantage of as well.  I never thought about it.

What this man has done is to make me think about it, and chances are I will be less generous in the future - a lot less.  That will only penalize those who truly do deserve the help. 

Please use plain text.
ipickubuy
Community Member

I disagree with you, Stinky.  We don't know what this man has been through.  ?:smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

The man is an opportunist, nothing more or less.

Please use plain text.
shirleys8093
Community Member

I was not 'blaming' the VA for this man's state of conditions.  Just making a point that just because he is 'receiving VA benefits' does not mean a whole helluva lot and is not enough to keep him off the street.

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Please use plain text.
discuss*stuff
Community Member

Homeless Man Donates $9,000+ From Daily Handouts He Recieves

http://youtu.be/U1Vko8KjxhI

Please use plain text.
oliver906susan
Community Member

I won't get into the politics of who's to blame, Reagan or the ACLU, since the "facts" change to fit the agenda.

But the stopping of federal funding for our state and local mental facilities dumped a lot of people out onto the streets that simply don't have the capacity to fend for themselves.

smiley candle photo: candle candlef.gifFounding member of the Pack of Disgruntled Failures.
Please use plain text.
discuss*stuff
Community Member

Here's one more excerpt:

"Why are veterans homeless?

In addition to the complex set of factors influencing all homelessness – extreme shortage of affordable housing, livable income and access to health care – a large number of displaced and at-risk veterans live with lingering effects of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and substance abuse, which are compounded by a lack of family and social support networks.

A top priority for homeless veterans is secure, safe, clean housing that offers a supportive environment free of drugs and alcohol.

Although “most homeless people are single, unaffiliated men… most housing money in existing federal homelessness programs, in contrast, is devoted to helping homeless families or homeless women with dependant children,” as is stated in the study “Is Homelessness a Housing Problem?” (Understanding Homelessness: New Policy and Research Perspectives, Fannie Mae Foundation, 1997)."

It amazes me the lack of reality that some people seem to comprehend in forming their lack of compassion for others.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of those attacking this mans path had little problem sending him off to protect theirs.

Please use plain text.
discuss*stuff
Community Member

http://nchv.org/index.php/news/media/background_and_statistics/

excerpts:

"About one-third of the adult homeless population are veterans.

America’s homeless veterans have served in World War II, the Korean War, Cold War, Vietnam War, Grenada, Panama, Lebanon, Persian Gulf War, Afghanistan and Iraq (OEF/OIF), and the military’s anti-drug cultivation efforts in South America. Nearly half of homeless veterans served during the Vietnam era. Two-thirds served our country for at least three years, and one-third were stationed in a war zone."

-------

"Only eight percent of the general population can claim veteran status, but nearly one-fifth of the homeless population are veterans."

Please use plain text.
shirleys8093
Community Member

...like the "military veteran benefits" thrown in there.....

some folks are just clueless.  Not until you walk a mile in those boots and find out what those "military veteran benefits" really are.  And by the appearance of age, bet he was denied a lot back in the day for his sacrifice.  He will probably have to wait until he is 78 y/o before he gets his Purple Heart too......snort.

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Please use plain text.
oliver906susan
Community Member

I noticed that the comments took the "Federally subsidized shelter" and turned it into an apartment.  A lot of bitterness seeping through in those comments.

Tells you a lot about the person making the comments, not the homeless man.

smiley candle photo: candle candlef.gifFounding member of the Pack of Disgruntled Failures.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

thing is some think their path is the only path , even if they aren't sure of it themselves.

he wants to be out among people , nothing wrong with that.

if our paths cross it'd be nice to walk away together, but i'd never say my path was the only one or even the correct one even for myself. you just enjoy it while you travel . always one foot in frount of the other at a pace that fits you

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Please use plain text.
scribble_on
Community Member

this country was built by homeless people on horseback

Yup.  "Illegals" no less.

Please use plain text.
yellowdognoel
Community Member

Too many comments for me to read all of them.  But from experience reading yahoo article replies I'll bet that somewhere you could find one in there blaming Obama for the whole thing.

Titivillus gathers up the fragments of these words
with which he fills his sack a thousand times a day.
Please use plain text.
discuss*stuff
Community Member

Homeless

I ran across this story this morning and found the comments to be rather prejudiced for the most part.

My comment about the comments:

"Amazing the number of comments that have turned this mans story into a "begging for money" issue when it clearly states in the article, "and has a Bronx apartment paid for via a combination of rent vouchers, Social Security and military veteran benefits."
Nowhere was their any mention of him begging for anything from anyone."

I don't know why people cannot simply accept that not everyone chooses the same path and must denegrate anothers to somehow validate their own.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/homeless-man-boots-nypd-apartment-155517489.html

Please use plain text.