eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

stinky*felix
Community Member

Re: Good Evening! B-)

in reply to *jeanepan*

Hi JeanE!

Everything is 'status quo' down here.  The weather is hot, but it's going to cool off again (in the 90s) in a few days so I can deal with that. 

I can't believe I've been around here as long as I have.  It has all gone by so quickly.  I remember first stumbling upon the boards when I didn't have anything to do, because DH was working out of town as he often did at that time. 

Things were so different, then (in many ways).

* * * * * * Always act like you are wearing an invisible crown. * * * * * *
Please use plain text.
*jeanepan*
Community Member

in reply to *jeanepan*

Plum not quite planted yet. Seems I'll need a bit of help digging a big enough hole for it.

Rather overcast and drab here today so decided to tidy up my workroom.  Found a 10 yr old boxed stack of FB related board stuff from summer 2004.  Ya, I saved stuff way back then, heheh.  Made a nice pot of Earl Grey and sat down to read, and read, and read ....................

2004 was a pretty rough summer on that board.  Hard to believe it's been 10 yrs.  Came across many, many names (ID's) long forgotten ...... but probably well remembered and/or reinvented over the years.  

Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago.
Bernhard Valvrojenski (1865 - 1959)
Please use plain text.
*jeanepan*
Community Member

in reply to janiebear13

Hi stinky et al.  Hope you're enjoying Summer. 

Been busy here and the garden is finally up to speed.  Had our first Caesar Salad with garden romaine yesterday. Lots of dill too and I know you love dill, stinky. Some strawberries from the relocated patch.  Raspberries are loaded as usual and will have more than enough for plenty of jelly.

Am planting my Plum tree today.  It's the great, great, great great + decendant of seeds smuggled out of E. Germany in the early 70's (from the ex's grandfather's farm).  Now I need to find a pollinator shrub for when it starts blooming, hopefully, in a few years.  When I moved into this house, way back, couldn't find anyone who would move my original plum so been patiently waiting until another one arrived.

Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago.
Bernhard Valvrojenski (1865 - 1959)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stinky*felix

I wonder about technology overload, too.  In fact, I worry about lots of things.  I don't think new advances are always the best, especially when other areas are neglected such as being unable to tell time on an analog clock or not able to use a key to unlock a padlock.

JB

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

in reply to janiebear13

Hi JB.

When my kids were in HS about 15 years ago, they never used their regular lockers.  They were too small, so they schlepped everything around in their backpacks.  Their gym lockers were a good size.

Yes, there is a big push for technlogy in schools.  I have mixed feelings about it.  I think education should keep up with the times, but I also feel education has a responsibility to produce a well-rounded individual - and I don't think that can be accomplished by total technology-based learning.  IMO, it is like the worksheets teachers used to produce by the thousands years ago - very little teaching requied.  Just have the students fill in the blanks.  That is what learning on a computer or tablet is like to me - no interaction.  No discussion.  No give and take.  Just listen, and 'fill in the blanks.'

Plus, the idea of replacing books with 'clouds' is blasphemy to me.  It is tantamount to a metaphorical Farenheit 451.  But, that is the way things are heading, and parents are obviously in favor of it because charter schools that offer students iPads are extremely popular.

I hope it all works out okay.  There are many respected intellectuals who have recently expressed their concerns about technlogy overload, and how it may negatively affect society. 

That sounds like a book as well - of course a debate could be made whether a book with that kind of content would be available on an electronic device.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stinky*felix

Luckily, the weather here has been rather mild.  But July and August are always hot!  Grandkids start school on August 25, I think. 

They'll be attending a new high school.  Interesting enough, there are no lockers for students.  They'll have to carry around everything in backpacks.  I just wonder where they'll put everything in the classroom.... like coats, lunches, notebooks, supplies, etc. 

My daughter said there will be no books.  Each student will check out an ipad with all of the material loaded on it.  I'm not sure how I feel about that idea.  Guess I'll just have to see how it works out.  But even without books, students still take a lot of things to school for the day. 

The library is no longer called a library.  it's the media center.  Times, they are a'changing!

JB

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

in reply to janiebear13

No, we're all done and on Summer Break. 

It was uber-hot here earlier in the week, but now it's really nice.  I hope we get lucky and we've used up our 100+ allotment for this summer. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stinky*felix

It's like a game.  You have to follow the thread to see what was moved and where.

So, is the school session over there?  My grandkids just got out of school because they had to make up lots of weather days.  Middle-schooler wasn't too happy because he had to go the last two days, but the high-schooler didn't have to take finals. 

JB

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to janiebear13

Hi JB.  Thanks for giving my thread a 'bump.'  :smileyhappy:

Yes, there are more threads being moved than being posted to.  The fact they are being moved on an off-topic board is crazy.  The Mods are making OT threads into on-topic threads, based upon some unknown set of guidelines.

But, one must justify ones job!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stinky*felix

Surely are a lot of topics being moved around here.

JB

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to caseyjessysammy

Yes.  I was reading an article on extinction the other day.  The rate of extinction has increased 10 times over what it used to be - and we're a lot smarter about it than we used to be.  Go figure. 

I guess rhino horns have some special mystical value, which was okay back in the days when they were hunted by tribes with primitive weapons and it was a fair fight.  But, not now with the poachers in it for the money and nothing more.  It used to be elephants for their ivory (and I think that is coming back as well), now it's rhinos for their horns.

You know I don't kill anything.  I know it sounds bizarre.  And, the ultimate irony will be if I die of a bug or snake bite.  :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
caseyjessysammy
Community Member

in reply to stinky*felix
Rhinos are being poached to extinction . She was with a vet for 2 weeks who specializes in care of rhinos, relocating wild dogs and hyenas and wild buffalo care. The pics of her feeding a baby hippo sweet potatoes are sooo cute... I worry she'll want to bring home a ' pet'

“ I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus a slice of lemon, and a shot of tequila"
Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

in reply to stinky*felix

Oh, except housecats (I wanted to post that before someone pointed out the contradiction).

I don't hate them.  I just don't like them.  There are probably other animals I don't like.  I don't think I'd be particularly fond of hyenas, ether.

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

Working with a rhino?  How awesome is that?!!

So, there's the trade-off.  :smileyhappy:

I think that would be a fabulous experience, and where else would she be able to have it?  You know me - I love animals of any kind (bugs and reptiles, too), so I can imagine how extraordinary an adventure this is for her. 

Please use plain text.
caseyjessysammy
Community Member

in reply to stinky*felix
Trust me, I'm a wreck. There's no internet there so I was quite nervous until I saw her in a pic on the Facebook page of the wildlife conservation site that she's working on. She was there, in the background, while they were working with a rhino. She made it to a wifi cafe last Saturday and put some pics on Facebook of her first few weeks adventures. They are soooo cool. I'm soooo jealous... But happy for her doing what she loves.

I only paint both days of a weekend if it's a huge festival or a fundraiser for a great cause... Otherwise I might burn out

“ I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus a slice of lemon, and a shot of tequila"
Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

[ Edited ]

One event per weekend still must keep you busy considering your work schedule!

Africa, huh?  A friend of mine's daughter just went to India on a pre-med 'thing' for the next 18 months.  It is a special program she was selected for, and participation will probably increase her chances of getting accepted into med school - but INDIA?? 

I suppose it's a good thing my kids grew up when they did.  I don't know that I could send either one to Africa or India.  I'd be a wreck.  Thank goodness there are people like you and #$%^# who can handle it.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
caseyjessysammy
Community Member

Oh and hi Jeane!!! Miss you too. Say hi to your hunny from me.

Please use plain text.
caseyjessysammy
Community Member

in reply to stinky*felix
No grand kids on the horizon ... Tim was gonna chuck them but they look like they're in good shape..I'll just list them as a lot and see if someone wants them. Hate to add to landfills. Painted after work last night so quiet day here. #1s still in Africa at the student vet programs and #2 and 3 are away for the weekend at friends. Nice to have a weekend with nothing scheduled. I only schedule myself to paint at one event per weekend so my quota was met last night.

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

in reply to stinky*felix

Oh, an 'futre' is French for future.  :smileyvery-happy: !!!

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

Casey!

Yeah, there are some people who remember what it was like before 'apps' so I'll bet those trains are popular!  We're a big 'train town' up here, so there are some incredible setups of toy trains made by adults.  If yours are in good condition, you should do really well and someone will put them to good use - unless you want to save them for a futre-maybe grandson.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.