eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

major_cong
Community Member

Re: Can i block people with zero feedback?

in reply to realcreepy

some buyers with zero "feedback"

tend to order items and do not pay.

some sellers with zero or very small feedback 

auction items, keep them,

and an eBay Resolution Center case is often required

to get our money refunded.

the money is detained by false actions,

and we are forced to work (without pay) as our own legal staff.

we lose time and money.

i am disabled, work is torture.

eBay knows this,

it happens thousands of times.

eBay will not allow a seller to require immediate payment

unless the seller opens a "merchant account"

(they switch the names of the account type to confuse us) 

and authorizes PayPal again to have direct bank account access.

it is illegal.

PayPal and eBay (same company)

already have access to our bank accounts.

they are apparently trying to intimidate members

to make them pay monthly "eBay store" fees.

if they allow people to steal or hold our money or property

with no option,

they are facilitating crime.

tell eBay to provide an option on your account 

for immediate or adjustable time for payment.

NOTE:

we must also be protected from retaliation.

the "feedback " system is not valid,

and any member can use it for bogus attacks.

the sales company agents and partners

might also retaliate against any interference with their operation.

this is common,

and part of the general domination program of industry.

Please use plain text.
cyber.wire
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy

I set all my auctions to only deal with pay pal bidders - but this does not seem to actually prevent zero feedback bidders from not paying and screwing with my auctions.

I have this method I used to suggest to ebay, but they blow it off all time. Perhaps the idea sucks....it's quite simple.

When a seller sets restrictions on auction to only inculde bidders who have paypal....the paypal payment should be automatically charged to the buyer (meaning, there is no 2 day window to click the payment button and manually send it, the moment the auction closes ebay and paypal processes the payment automatically.)

This method can even be resitricted down to - Bidders with zero feedback -

While the privledge of being able to manually click the payment button within two days of purchase is reserved for ebay members who actually have feedback.

I'm not sure why this can't be a "thing". If I am bidding on an item, in theory, I should have the money to pay for it because ebay considers a bid a commitment to buy. If bidders knew that they would be charged for empty bids, they would be less likely to place those bids.

Again, this restriction could be implemented only for bids who have zero feedback. Once they obtain some feeback, the payments won't be automatically deducted from their paypal accounts.

Just to note, I recently started promoting my auctions from ebay on third party websites, such as twitter. This has increased the amount of unpaid item cases I have open on my items.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
This happens to me all the time and with higher priced items I relist it within 24 hours if payment is not received
Please use plain text.
007biometrics
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy

If you are selling a rare valuable item at a fair price?  Another person has that same rare item? They can create an account simply to bid on your item to get it off of the page long enough to sell their item at possibly even a higher price.  I BELEIVE THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME! Just wanted to share this information.........

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy

At one time all buyers were at 0 feedback ,as were all sellers. The advice of start with low priced items and work up is stupid. I should buy "stuff"  just to get a rating?  My first purchase was over $75 and I had no problem with the seller "checking me out"

Please use plain text.
itzyurmajesty2u_777
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
I have been an eBay seller for 4 years now. I sell items to help me with my nursing school fees. I can honestly say that about 50% of the buyers I encountered with zero feedback did not end up paying. I allow up to 3 days of auction ending for bidders to pay and I even mention if they need more time to message me. After 3 days with no payment or message an unpaid item case is opened. The buyer has another 4 days to pay. It's very frustrating and I am the most patient person. I have just been dealing with this issue a lot lately and wish something can be done about it. I do believe that the option to block 0 bidders should be available if the seller chooses. You are paying to list items after all and yes you will lose potential customers but it should be the sellers' choice. It really is unfair that some people mess it up for everyone. Just like when ebay now takes a final value fee for shipping just because some sellers were putting the price in shipping in order to pay less of a final value fee. eBay took action to correct that problem because they were losing out on money. Many of us our losing out on $ but the issue isn't being addressed!
Please use plain text.
sez_home
Community Member

in reply to 2piratesbringutreasure

0% bidders tend to bid for fun and ruin your auction even if you've put '0% bidders contact me BEFORE bidding.

You can only remove their bids if you are monitoring your auction and if they bid in the last 30 seconds, there is nothing you can do.

A 0% bidder just trashed my auction and as I sent payment info, they closed their account, so that is why I would prefer NOT to have 0% bidders or 'newbies' involved in my auctions.

If any 0% bidder contacted me first as I request in all my listings, then I would allow them once I had got the contact information to make their life hell if they failed to pay, then I would gladly allow them to participate in my auction.

Please use plain text.
jraines19842012
Community Member

in reply to southpawstuff

I'm sorry but it is our rights as sellers to protect ourselves when selling to someone with zero feedback. Granted we were all new users with zero feedback at one time but until I had feed back I never placed bids on auctions. I alwayed used the "buy it now" option if one was offered to esablish good feed back. I've listed serveral items that zero feed backs have bidded on and the accounts were created the same day. To me that sends a red flag that I should cancel their bids. I also will not sell to buyers that email me and ask to ship the item off before payment is recieved and cleared. Not to mention if your paypal account in not varified I will not sell to you either. All this is listed in my auctions that I put up. But again most people do not read so its the seller that get shafted by these zero feed back users.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy

It's very simple. The notion that the zero feedback members are new, is rarely the case. 

Quite often, these zero or 1 digit feedback buyers, or I should say non-paying bidders, are ebay users that created new buying IDs to get around the blocks sellers put in place for ebayers with too many UID strikes!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to anand8820

I agree 100% on the 0 feedback it's absolutely ridiculous the amount of people that don't pay. I don't run a shop on here I just sell a couple items now and then, but recently it seems like I have to sell an item 3 times to find someone that will pay and in between I have to waste time getting credit for the fees. Between the ebay fees and the people that won't pay I might be better off selling on craigslist. 

Please use plain text.
anand8820
Community Member

in reply to mister*phil

Things have sure changed since this post started-zero FB as a seller and as a buyer are big red flags for scammers....I know everyone has to start at zero but everyone who wants a job has to have a prev job as a reference-and things seem to work out....there absolutely should be a way to block zero FB.....there will still be enough people willing to sell to them that they can get their FB up...

Please use plain text.
sineaterdoodah
Community Member

in reply to grannyjohnson531gmail.com-2013

anytime! i'm here to help:smileyhappy:

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sineaterdoodah

Thank you so much.  Being fairly new to eBay I need to know as much as I can.!  I too would have thought that it would be immediate, but now better understand the proceedure!  Thank you again for the response!

Please use plain text.
sineaterdoodah
Community Member

in reply to grannyjohnson531gmail.com-2013

yes maam, we certainly do!!! it's called a second chance offer.

this past august,i had a buyer not pay,so i filed the necessary dispute,and waited until the case was closed,then sent the other bidder a second chance offer.

he was THRILLED!! BUT,he didn't realize that sellers are supposed to wait until any disputes are closed BEFORE we send that offer.  he thought i'd be able to do that immediately,as he doesn't know the selling system, most buyers don't.

anyway,the gist of what i'm saying is that if you get an SCO 8-10 days after you lost the auction,IT'S LEGIT,almost always.

the OTHER way that SCO works is if the seller has more than one of that item,they can send you an SCO at your final bid price. THOSE can be immediate,and are also legit.

i always recommend that you check out the seller's listings BEFORE you accept an SCO. they just MIGHT have one newly listed that's cheaper,and we ,as buyers, always want a bargain,lol!!

and btw,THANK YOU!! honest buyers and sellers just make my day great! :smileyhappy:

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chicagobearsfan16

Being new to ebay purchasing, I am so glad that the people who allowed me to bid and purchase items that I have gotten!  I am also appalled that there are people out there who ARE scammers, but know there are people like that.  In the beginning, I bid, lost the bid and returned to bid on two more of the same item so that I might get one!  One day, won the bid on 3 of the very same item, now have alot more than I wanted,  but never thought to NOT pay for all of them.  I won't bid if I don't have the funds to pay!  I wish that I could hide an item that I really want so the people who come thru the "back door" at the last minute wouldn't take the things that I so badly want!!  Do any of you ever offer an item to the NEXT HIGHEST bidder if someone doesn't pay for the item that they couldn't pay for?  I for one would be delighted with a surprise to have the item that I watched so carefully, and lost to a bidder who couldn't, or wouldn't pay.

Please use plain text.
slappy2014
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy

I would not block zero feedback members because alot of the times you get people new to ebay who do not have acounts until theys ee something they want.  Then they sign up and buy item but if you block them the next guy will get the sell but you will be responsible for bringing in a new member but get no reward for it. 

Please use plain text.
sineaterdoodah
Community Member

in reply to vintagerocksrte66

uuummm...ebay has been around since..97,i think,pretty sure they won't shut down anytime soon.

and sensible sellers know how to protect themselves from bad buyers. my sympathies to your friends,they should have come to the help boards,we could have told them how to deal with it.

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy

I just ran into a few people that supposedly had ebay accounts....Me being New i  asked them what to look for or how to protect myself.....they laughed 2 of the 4 after losings thousands of dollars to ebay thieves,stopped selling....The scams were Numerous, Bidding Sky high on Items ensuring they would win, only to remove the item Delivered on time"  & claim the box was empty, send back an empty box, claim theitem was different & add some rocks to the box, or a piece of junk household item...........I may have zero feedback being new, but since ebay is allowing thieves to steal from sellers, i doubt i willl last long. Some of the The items i have are in the $$$$, and to allow an ebay thief, to Take the item, claim they didnt get it, or claim it was DiFfErEnT get their money back & keep a $5000.00 watch or a $100 ring,  seems counterproductive to say the least............. 

Please use plain text.
sineaterdoodah
Community Member

in reply to automaton72

automaton72 wrote:

Zero of course!  but that was when you couldn't ebay on a phone.

what does a phone have to do with it? 

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
kimo.enterprise
Community Member

in reply to roguevalleyauctions

i'm definately with the idea, but what's stopping people from opening fake accounts and buying their stuff and not paying, but instead getting paid by ebay?

Please use plain text.