eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Can i block people with zero feedback?

in reply to creativityteams

There is reason to not want 0 bidders on expensive items. Let them prove themselves honest on cheaper items first.

Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
0 fb really means little other than they havent recieved any feedback as yet.
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Community Member

in reply to redbud_farm

Best advice:

No, you cannot automate blocking buyers with zero feedback. You can manually remove bidders from an auction and then add their user name to your buyer blacklist.

There are good reasons and bad reasons to manually remove zero-feedback users. You are a business and should make the decision as a business decision. "We were all zero-feedback users once" may tug at your heartstrings, but we were all babies and dumb teenagers and all sorts of other things, too. And, yes, I would block a baby from bidding on the iPhone I'm offering for sale! 

If you are a high-volume business with enough hours per week to handle shipping, returns, and payment disputes; a high enough profit margin to handle losses such as chargebacks, refunds, and insurance; and enough inventory to handle some of your inventory being tied up in disputes or nonpayment cases, then you will profit in the long-run by accepting orders from zero-feedback users. Using a portfolio logic, your profits will be greater in the long run despite the occasional speed bump.

If you are a low-volume, low inventory ebay seller devoting only part of your time to the business, with a small revenue stream that takes a noticeable hit with non-payment or returns, and with a small inventory that is noticeably tied up if one or two of your items gets snagged in a non-payment case, then you are beter off removing zero-feedback buyers from your auctions and adding those users to your permanent blocked buyers list.

"All my zero-feedback users did (fill in the blank)." That's the result of a small sample size. If you sell to enough zero-feedback users, you will profit. If you sell to two or three, you're going to end up with a "all my zero feedback users" tale of woe.

It's a simple rule: if you don't have the time, energy, or resources to handle the occasional non-payer or fake bidder, instantiate policies that make your life easier and less stressful: block the zero feedback users. 

If you get rid of sample bias, you will find that zero-feedback users are a significantly higher risk, but one that can be absorbed in a large enough sales stream. Zero-feedback buyers are risky because they can be:

-Legiimate first-time users who may not know all the rules, but do understand they must pay on a winning bid and fully intend to do so (the majority);

-Represent a slightly higher risk for returns (first-time buyers are much more likely to "cool off" after winning their first auction);

-Represent a noticeably higher risk for non-payment (inexperience, cooling off, winning several identical auctions, fake bids, joke bids)

-Represent a substantially higher risk of being a minor;

-Represent a very slight risk of a scam (by targetting an inexperienced seller);

-May signal an unscrupulous seller to other bidders (a seller, for instance, who creates a new account to drive up the auction price).

Speaking as a buyer, if the highest bid is tethered to a zero-feedback user,  I am done with that auction. If I have not bid, I will pass; if I have bid, I will not try to outbid the zero-feedback bidder. To an experienced buyer, a zero-feedback user signals a.) someone who is much more likely to bid recklessly or b.) is actually the seller. Either way, as a buyer, I know there's a higher chance that the seller will end up relisting the item.

Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
Its you cant group people together and judge them by their fb#
Community Member

in reply to redbud_farm

redbud_farm wrote:
Lol, most new buyers pay and pay quickly.

....thereby becoming normal buyers and not the problem so apparent in these posts....

Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
Evrryone started at 0
Community Member

in reply to redbud_farm

Some one just suggested that I block bidders who do not have a PayPal account. They said that 99% of scammers or sport bidder do not have a pay pal account. Someone with O feedback is bidding on an item from a account they opened today. I will let it ride and hope it works out good for me. I could cancel their bid then block them, but it could be someone who saw the item that day and decide to open an ebay account.

Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
Better yet if a seller has that silly restriction in listing or one like it you pass on their listings. No use looking for troubles.
Community Member

in reply to scheaf

or just msg the seller and say "hey Im a new member here and I wanted to touch base to relay Im a new person with a paypal acct and a legit bidder, is it ok if I bid? I see your acution says no zero feedback...." etc etc... a coherent msg goes a long way.

Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
Nope the only block was for less than 0 , -1 or lower.

Thi g is today many do t read the listing , then when billed change their mind.

But thats better than changing their mind after getting item.

So just file unpaid report , block and move on.
Community Member

in reply to redbud_farm

[quote]Never had a problem with 0 fb buyers , it always was with ones with 100's[/quote]

I almost always have problems with 0 feedback buyers. In the 15 years I've been selling on here the vast majority of my non-payments come from 0 feedback buyers. I thought that years ago we used to be able to block them but now we can't. It's annoying and wastes so much time because we have to wait before listing the item again after filing a dispute.

Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
Seems it's a competitor doing it , they ha e the same item for sale , so take yours off the. Market for while by not paying
Community Member

in reply to jmajcan

I have tried to sell 2 higher end watches on ebay and both times a zero feedback fake buyer has "bought" it.  Of course never paid and took my watch off the ebay market for 3 weeks.  Until ebay corrects this problem, I am only buying through ebay.  ebay also does not refund my money for this fake sale, I only get credit!!  with is complete BS.  ebay is as big a scam as the zero feedback fake buyers.

Community Member

in reply to redbud_farm
You can't block them but you can cancel the order if you chose. Business's have the legal right to refuse service to anyone no matter what EBay claims. I am so sick of chargebacks for unauthorized purchase that always seem to come exactly 14 days after the item was received (hmmmm, HMMMMMM, red flag much?). I will cancel any order from a brand new account or an account with zero feedback now. Make sure you select "buyer requested cancellation" as the reason. I am sure you can figure out why. And to the people that cry "how is a new buyer supposed to get feedback then???!?!?! huh? HUH????!!!), I say this: Target. Or Toys R Us. Or any of the hundreds of giant corporations selling on ebay that will leave you a feedback as soon as you pay. It's not hard.
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
Few 0 feedback members don't pay.
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
I think that everyone who has ever sold a few items on here has had to deal with the zero feedback scammers. Sure, some no feedback accounts are probably regular honest people that just started using eBay. But for every one of those, there are hundreds if not thousands of scammers. Every time I list an item I have to go through and cancel bids from the zero accounts. But they just bid at the last second before you have time to respond. When I see that a zero feedback account has won my auction, I know that I am never in a million years getting paid for it. So I have to sit around for a few days for the unpaid item case to open, wait a few more days for that to resolve, then do it all over again. And all the while I'll be getting barely coherent messages from the buyer trying to scam me in various ways. This has happened on my last 5 auctions. The scammers on this site are out of control. I think I'll just sell my stuff on Craigslist from now on and risk getting stabbed in a parking lot, it will be less frustrating.
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
The no tracking one lost their $ and the item , so don't see a scam.

The one did the charge back you only needed to provide pay pal with proof of shipping.

Not scammers.

A scammer knows how to get the item and money with little effort
Community Member

in reply to realcreepy

Have had two Buy It Now items result in PayPal disputes thanks to zero feedback buyers.  Even when they do pay, there are problems!!!  

One was an ipad and the buyer claimed it arrived broken.  I offered a full refund if she returned it.  She claimed she returned it but didn't provide a tracking number on the package.  This was apparently my fault since I didn't tell her get delivery confirmation when she shipped it. Fortunately, I won the PayPal dispute, but there's now a restriction on my account about when I can withdraw funds.  

Second was an international buyer who purchased a lot of ikea bookends for over $100. We went back and forth with a best offer price a few times and he finally purchased. I shipped through Ebay's international buyer program and got delivery confirmation. 2 weeks later, he disputed the charge with his credit card company saying he didn't authorize the transaction.  Interestingly enough, someone on Facebook with the same very unique name as the buyer discussed needing to buy a bunch of bookends. 

These scammers need to be stopped! 

Community Member

in reply to redbud_farm

Respectfully disagree. Fake bidders are the bane of my existence. I don't know exactly what ebay could do to resolve the issue, but it would be nice if they did soomething. I'm personally a fan of bringing back negative or at least nuetral feddback for buyer. This would partially prevent buyers from abusing the system and possibly give you a heads up on potential trouble children. I would honestly be willing to block bidders with under 15 feedback with certain items. For example, I listed 6 laptops(had to relist 3 and it happened again on 2) the other day and 2 people with roughly 10 feedback inflated the price and bid on every listing. As soon as the bid ended I received "sorry I can't purchase for blah blah blah", which I knew would happen. Adding insult to injury, you have to wait 10 days for the pricks to accept a "cancel order". Endless cyce of madness.

Community Member

in reply to realcreepy
They can't fix something unless you make them aware of it.

Give them a call.