cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At What Rate Are Dissatisfied Sellers Leaving Ebay for other Sites?

This is not a figure that ebay would release publicly, of course, but one has to wonder what percentage of dissatisfied sellers are leaving ebay and placing their items on other sites and how quickly this is occuring? Has the MASS EXODUS begun yet or is it still just a small trickle? Anyone here in the know with reasonable estimates, please weigh in...

Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

You're unhappy.  We get it.  There's really no need to start so many threads about your unhappiness.  It's just as easy to keep them all on one thread.

Real people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features.

Message 2 of 195
latest reply

But it's much more effective to address other sellers' issues with ebay in multiple threads to help encourage action on the part of the sellers to try to correct the things being done by ebay that are detrimental to them.. In case you haven't noticed, this is a campaign (both here and Outside OF EBAY) to focus scrutiny and attention on ebay practices that are truly violations of sellers' rights and are truly adversely affecting sellers. Believe me, i'm just getting started. 

Message 3 of 195
latest reply

OP,

Just because you are dissatisfied with eBay, doesn't mean that the rest of us feel the same way.

I sell on another ID, and do very well.

In fact, I'm very happy with eBay..:-D-

Really...does anyone care how many sellers are going elsewhere.

If you are unhappy with eBay, then maybe you should move on.

From what I've heard, for every seller leaving, there are hundreds registering.;-).

Good luck.

Message 4 of 195
latest reply

probably at the same rate new ones are coming in.

RIP ((RINGO))
Message 5 of 195
latest reply

oops.

sniped by slim.

RIP ((RINGO))
Message 6 of 195
latest reply

If you are really this unhappy, perhaps eBay just isn't the place for you at all.  With this level of unhappiness, why would you stay when so many others aren't expressing this and eBay is quite unlikely to bend to your wishes?

Real people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features.

Message 7 of 195
latest reply

Because the gid loves crying and moaning......

Message 8 of 195
latest reply

I believe more people register in one day, than leave in one week.:-D

Message 9 of 195
latest reply

I don't think it is  a mass exodus   but much like a  slow leaking.flat  The main problem

is  if  fewer  sellers  can make  a decent enough  profit they  will leave.   With  ebay  taking more in  fees,the  number  of  sellers making  a profit declines. The  rate  of people leaving will increase.

It all depends on what you are selling. If you  sell higher priced items but  have to  pay a  high %  of the cost  to obtain them.  Then the higher  fees will  cause  people  to  not  list.

If one  sells  Gold  or Silver  coins   the  margins  are  tight.  The  ebay  fees  will make it  prohibitive.  

Message 10 of 195
latest reply

I can tell this: Travel packages use to be at 1000 listings in 2006 -2007 -2008 now it's down to 400

For travel hotels only that use ot be at 8000 average per day listings, it is down to 4000 per day.

So yes alot of sellers left. I no longer do so much on ebay and my business has grown without them. When I started out I needed them, no longer and we're at 1 million in sales this year. only a few from ebay. 

SO those are facts for travel sellers and lisitngs. And it's trye too much stupid regulation that I don't need

Message 11 of 195
latest reply

I sell on ebay for already 12 years. I was very happy, but I am almost down on my knees!! people send back broken items, and buy items to make experiments with them and send them back. that cost me a lot of money on the shipping. many times as much as $124 lost on shipping. today I had on my paypal account near $1200 in the start of the day. by the evening I didn't have a dime left with all the refunds. again, I am on ebay for long time, that means that I was doing something right. either the sellers will leave ebay or buyers will buy elsewhere for the prices that are going up to cover the extra expenses impost on the sellers. I have degree in business and I know what it means "the cost of doing business". no other market niche has that expenses.

also, what about the feedback system. customers buy the wrong item and blame me for that. there are plenty of that. really, I am afraid to turn on the computer and see all the claims. my products are new, quality items. I don't sell junk.

by the way, ebay cost me on average of $3000 a month. I will have to look into other options such as building my website or look at other sites to sell stuff there in addition to ebay. 

I hope they will have some changes soon before I will be forces out of business.

Message 12 of 195
latest reply

I always buy on Ebay, but now that I have been burned by Paypal (Ebay/Paypal) in the one transaction I had, I'm trying other forums.  You might want to check Ebay and Paypal etc various indicators of customer satifaction, seller satisfaction, other forums that are growing in popularity - perhaps found in business and perhaps consumer publications.  There is so many complaints about Ebay/Paypal - I would be surprized if it had not started to trickle up.

Message 13 of 195
latest reply

I have found that as our business has grown, we are having more problems (which is normal). Here's the issue, we have always had 100% feedback from our customers. We do EVERYTHING in our power to make our customers happy. Recently, we had a buyer buy a skirt from us and left negative feedback stating the skirt was stained and that we don't respond to messages. Neither of these is true. The buyer never tried to contact us. So we contacted EBay trying to get them to remove the feedback (they saw that there were no emails and no stains), but they wouldn't remove it because the seller said there were stains, so that's that! I think that's a bunch of milarky....Sellers have NO rights on EBay, we are at the mercy of the buyer. We have also lost our top rates seller and have no idea why. It's just frustrating, I understand.
Message 14 of 195
latest reply

Sellers with not much experience always seem to have the answers LOL 🙂  Most all of the Ebay agents are of the same calibre, having sold on the siteperhaps a few times.

I would agree with most of the posts here from "experienced" sellers. We have sold for 10 years. Every day there seems to be some inocuos suggestion from Ebay to help our listings. Generally I ignore them, but I have begun to see a pattern, that as Ebay makes site changes these suggestions come into play to where you better fix them or get lost in the searches. The latest appears to be be "Item Condition Description" this is NOT the drop down as to "new", "used", or the like, but as to some more description that must be placed in the new field below the drop down. It doesn't matter that the text field to describe your item is complete your condition must fall into the new field. It is not enforced now but more than likely will, in the meantime it "May" be the reason for slacking sales, since Ebay is probably already using this field to affect the search results. 

Message 15 of 195
latest reply