DESIGNER Anri chess sets

This the thread for discussions about ANRI chess sets
Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

Re: DESIGNER Anri chess sets

knightchexe8
Enthusiast
Does any member of the group know where one can find a listing of the Anri sets manufactured. I can't seem to find any internet information. Thank you. Mike
Message 2 of 120
latest reply

Hi, Mike, knightchexe8. I realize this is a very long delay in a response, but I don't see where anyone responded - at least on this thread. And I am just a few days old / young with respect to my involvement in this ebay chess collectors group (perhaps to the dismay of some others?) 🙂 If you never received an answer before this one, I suggest you contact Floyd Sarisohn at the Long Island Chess Museum (Lichess@aol.com) I believe he might have such a list. John, Vermont.
Message 3 of 120
latest reply

knightchexe8
Enthusiast
John: Thank you so much for your reply. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks again. Mike
Message 4 of 120
latest reply

I have added these entries in our knowledge base: Modern Decorative set, Anri: Barbarossa Modern Decorative set, Anri 1952: Charlemagne Modern Decorative set, Anri 1952: Frontier Far West Modern Decorative set, Anri 1952: Monsalvat Modern Decorative set, Anri: Nefertiti Modern Decorative set, Anri: Renaissance Modern Decorative set, Anri 1954-1993: Set No. 71800 Modern Decorative set, Anri: Toriart Romans versus Teutons Modern Decorative set, Anri 1954-1974: Toriart xxx Modern Playing set, Anri: Universum Who can give help to make this list complete? Or has (better) pictures or more detailed information?
Message 5 of 120
latest reply

Hello, all. I am trying various ways to elicit any information that might somehow be available out there about a particular ANRI chess board. I have posted this question on at least one other thread, but not with much success. I heard through the "grapevine" that an ebayer named "celtxchess" might be able to supply the information, but I would like to first attempt a general appeal for information via this normal format. (And maybe celtexchess will see this posting if he/she still visits this discussion group?) THE ITEM: I have a wooden chess board that folds into 4 sections (via thin "piano" type hinges). The squares are 4 inches on a side (36" board!). The squares are (of course alternatingly) light and dark. The back of the board has a relatively dark, maroonish feltlike material covering it. There are two ANRI stickers on the back. (Actually, I have two of these boards - one is intact and the other needs repair, mainly with respect to the hinges.) Although a well known fellow collector who belongs to CCI had either never seen or previously heard of such a board made by ANRI (and consquently I think he believes it is not an ANRI board) I think there is reason to believe that it is indeed ANRI. I have not yet learned how to post pictures on any of the ebay threads. However, I have privately emailed pics of the board to about 7(?) fellow ebay collectors. Despite 3 (appreciated) responses from them (Chesspurr, Computojon, and Blindchessmen), they were not able to provide me with confirmation one way or another. Chesspurr did indicate that he felt the folding aspect had to do with easier delivery / transporting - which makes sense. (Thanks for the effort, etc., Chesspurr) Does anyone out there have any more info on ANRI chess boards - especially this one? Thanks. John, Vermont.
Message 6 of 120
latest reply

knight-knight-zzz hi jon i wish i could help you on this thread as judging by the number of bidders for these sets on e bay,there are plenty of collectors buying them out there. i presume you have been in touch with floyd on this?
Message 7 of 120
latest reply

Guy of chesspurr. Yes, I had already been in touch with Floyd of Lichess several months ago on this ANRI board question. (However, I have not heard from him in a while, and I hope that he and Bernice - his wife - are ok - but sometimes I over-worry about things... sometimes people are just busy with other things in life or are away for a while...) Thanks for the suggestion, though... JoHn, 🙂 Vermont.
Message 8 of 120
latest reply

re: post no. 6 John, There's a photocopy of an ANRI catalog that I have (couldn't afford a real one), and the large board you mention is listed as Anri model no. 718551. It's described as being 39" square when put together. There is no photo of it but presumably this is the one you speak of. It was specifically designed to go with the 10" Montsalvat set, Anri model no. 718012. Dan
Message 9 of 120
latest reply

Dan of Dwolf. Thank you! I think it might be a slightly different model, since the size of the catalog one, reportedly 39", is somewhat larger than mine. Perhaps the one in the catalog has a 3 1/2 inch border. Regardless, thanks again for the effort, lead, and info. John, Vt. PS: By the way, I just noticed that apparently, I can't add. (4" x 8 squares on a side = 32 inches on a side.)
Message 10 of 120
latest reply

John, I received yesterday a very complete ANRI catalog from Floyd Sarisohn. I will update the knowledge base with this new information this weekend.
Message 11 of 120
latest reply

Hi, Robert V.D.V. Thank you. I am wondering if it is the same ANRI one that Floyd had sent to CCI members (inclduing myself) a few years ago. I will have to wait and see after you post the info on the "knowledge base". On a side but very related note... I thought I had remembered that in the previous ebay Chess Collectors format / system / front page (whatever one calls it), there was a black bold Knowledge Base thingy (a technical word here) that one could click onto. Has that disappeared with the new "enhancements"? Also, when I type in the word "knowledge base" in the search thingy, no "knowledge base" thread somes up. Am I missing something here or blind, etc? (I did not know exactly where to place this question... whether in the enhancement thread or the chat thread or to keep it here... so, sincerely, if this question should be cut and pasted... I have no problem with that, ok?) Thanks again. John, Vermont.
Message 12 of 120
latest reply

Regarding Anri chess sets. Keep in mind that Anri created at least the Monsalvat (also known as Knights of the Round Table ) set in at least three sizes, and may have made them in more sizes. I do not know if they made other sets in more than one size, although they had the capacity to do so. In additionk, as to "Anri" boards, other than the label attached to the board, there would be no way to identify a wood board made by them. The board for the Large Anri Montselvat set came in 4 pieces, not two. We are considering setting up a display of Anri sets at the next Chess Collectors International Convention in Florida, April30 to May 4, 2008. FLoyd Lichess@aol.com
Message 13 of 120
latest reply

Floyd, Lichess. Thank you for the additional information. John, Vermont.
Message 14 of 120
latest reply

Hello, all. I just noticed that an (alleged?... seems to have some relatively good back-up confirmation, assuming it is not another board placed into an anri cardboard box) Anri board has shown up on ebay. Ebay item # 220133302579. Unless I am missing something or did not pay close enough attention to the pictures, I did not see any Anri stickers on any backside. (backside of the board, Alan D.) :-) The only anri designations I see is the handwritten word on the cardboard, as well as the Anri logo and ID number on the box . So, this seems to be, thus far, coinfirmation of Floyd's of Lichess implication that identification of an anri board is difficult, if not impossible, on the board itself. Hmmm... (per Floyd) "...considering setting up a display of Anri sets at the next Chess Collectors International Convention in Florida, April 30 to May 4, 2008..." another reason to committing to go! John, Vermont.
Message 15 of 120
latest reply