• Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Answer
sunnysouth1
Community Member
Accepted Solution
How to insert HTML code in to my listing

I am trying to insert an HTML code in to my listing. I guess I don't know what I'm doing.

I have copied the code, then I paste it in to my listing and click on the HTML tab. Doing that changes my entire description area into code which is of course not what I want. Any help is appreciated.

Sunny

Guilt: the gift that keeps on giving.
Erma Bombeck

Accepted Solutions: 3
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sunnysouth1

Sunny, the two tabs in the editor are the same description, one tab showing the HTML, the other tab showing what the browser would render the HTML as when it appears in the listing.  You should get comfortable with the HTML - at least enough to understand how it is structured. 

Generally, HTML uses named brackets to tell the browser about what is between the brackets.  For example, the 'paragraph' tag (or bracket) is <p> ... </p> meaning, "display what is between these tags as a paragraph".

The HTML you paste into the description will also be surrounded by these tags. 

Warning: sometimes when you copy the HTML, you won't get all the tags or you get too much.  This is a problem.

You can try pasting directly into the Standard/Text (actually Preview) tab.  That usually works, but might not depending on exactly where it lands.  And if what you paste is not perfectly formed (see the Warning above), it won't render correctly and will look like well .. HTML instead of text.

Just play with it a while and you'll start to get the hang of it.

"Ignorance is no excuse. Unless I'm wrong."
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sunnysouth1

Paste the code after you click the html tab, your description of course will show up in html but ignore it momentarily.

When you click the other, standard tab I think, your description will return to normal.

puppybrowns
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sunnysouth1

Click the HTML tab first, as suggested above, then paste the html code where you want the image (I presume) to show up.

Then click back over to the standard tab, and the image you added will be wherever you inserted the code.

If it is a pic you are inserting, you can copy/paste and move it around anywhere in the description if you don't know where to insert the code.

If you are adding an entire border & description, you would want to erase the code that is already there, and add your new code.

Hope that makes sense! 

Other Answers: 4
sunnysouth1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sunnysouth1

It worked!!! :smileyhappy:

Thanks so much!! Two days of working on this and it was that simple LOL!! :-x

Sunny

Erma Bombeck

sunnysouth1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sunnysouth1

Thanks noggins. Going to try it now.

Sunny

Erma Bombeck

october_paws
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sunnysouth1

You can also use it"<center>" as opening your description so that your description will be in the middle of the eye ball level instead of left or right. And you are done you can close the "</center>".

cybermonstre
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sunnysouth1

When I copied/pasted my HTML code into the HTML tab, it appeared as rich text instead of as plain text. Preview displayed garbage.

In fact, my html editor (Netbeans) was storing the HTML code as text/html into the clipboard, and ebay's editor interpreted it as if you copied/pasted it from another website.

To solve the issue, I opened a true text editor (such as TextEdit on a Mac), and pasted the html code inside. Then, I selected all/copied/psated on eBay, and that time, I got the expected behaviour.