cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The selling of Fake Stamps on Ebay

galaxyofficecorp
Enthusiast

Is it possible for someone controlling Ebay, to maybe make a place, or another "listing category area", specifically made for known fake stamps and replicas?

I have noticed an increase in Ebay sellers that are now selling "Phantoms, Cinderellas, Reproductions, Replicas, Undisclosed Fakes, and other such items within Ebays' 19th century stamp category.

If I, as a buyer, wanted fake stamps, I would scan them myself and let my printer print them out by the sheetfull.

I am not shopping on Ebay to buy somebody else's computer scan cutouts of "19th century stamps for sale" on Ebay and then calling these creations "19th century phantoms and replicas".

And as I shop, all I see are fake replicas, and phantoms, and reproductions.

Ebay has let so many shady sellers sell "replicas" within the "19th century stamp catagory", that the Ebay auctions have flooded the market with fakes.

Replicas should be listed as just that, a category called "Stamp Replicas and Reproductions", and "known sellers of such material" will now have to list their stamps there.

Ebay has to create a more fair environment for the buyer, whom can only see a two dimensional picture of a paper stamp on the internet.

Thank You for you time.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: The selling of Fake Stamps on Ebay

GALAXY  COP---------Maybe there is a market for them ?   

I don't know what you collect ,but just maybe  there are buyers who have a interest in them .This question about buying computer made copies of stamps has been fought over on this and like boards for over ten years and they are still being sold .

Looking at who is buying those reproductions, back when you can see the I.D. of the buyer on E-bay ,it didn't show the buyers as newbies  and very low beginners to the hobby  and it surely was  not Pension Funds buying for investment  for widows and ophans .So  who are you targeting your complaint  at ?   Please explain  WHO THE HECK IS BUYING the stuff you don't like  .

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Ebay already has a category for these, unfortunately people ignore it as they think their items should go with the regularly issued stamps.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

"Please explain  WHO THE HECK IS BUYING the stuff you don't like  ."

Paul, you are.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Richard,

as mentioned on another thread (also about 19th. US Replicas), Ebay, US Stamps category at the moment is discussing whether they will follow the Coins category and ban Replicas.

There should be some comments by Ebay within the next few weeks,

Cobbie,

I had a look at the link to the repo sheets of Zeppelins at $999.99, it states 2 already sold, not bad for a few minutes work,

David B.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

I keep reporting blatant forgeries to sellers and to ebay.

Most sellers ignore, some get upset. Ignoring is easy as ebay reacts only in 1-5% of the time.

Every specialized collector of popular countries will see forgeries galore.

What upsets me more is that there are people who actually buy this. How is this even possible is sometimes too perplexing for my little brain. May be these are new Chinese rich who can't read latin alphabet? I don't know.

Ebay.com is the worst. They do nothing to stop this rampant practice.

Ebay.de is the best, at least for German issues, other countries are still problematic, perhaps to lesser degree - they are pretty vigilant bunch over there. Some still sneak in as "private as is auctions", but they still are forced to make a disclaimer most of the times I've seen. The easiest way to avoid problems then is to go and post on ebay.com, no oversight there.

I think it has something to do with BPP in Germany being much more actively involved within ebay.de APS in USA just doesn't care and exists in its own little bubble dating to 1950s methods of collecting or somewhere there.

There are some issues that can't be touched without expertise, it's just a waste of money, but most of the time a good magnification, UV lights, watermark detection and access to reference material and existing literature helps avoiding most of the problems. 

Buyers are equally to blame - there is greed and cluelessness on both sides. Don't get me wrong, as a collector, I had my share of great deals on ebay. The point here - the buyer must know what is what. Way too many times it's simply not the case.

So what can be done? I think ebay could consider:

1. Form, widen and encourage volunteer expert group that evaluates potential fraudulent listings.

2. Enforce Clear language in seller's listing mentioning forgery or risks involved.

2a. Move the listing to existing Forgeries category, if it's beyond doubt a forgery (most of the time it is).

3. Suspend auction where a complain about possible forgery has been received. Ethical sellers would not mind at all. Matters should be cleared with expert group or at the very least an appropriate disclaimer should be entered, previous bidders should be able to retract their bids if the findings and opinion is that it's a forgery.

4. Have and enforce image quality guidelines. Allow buyers report the auctions with substandard images.

Stamps need to be scanned at reasonably high DPI, not photographed with a mobile phone. 

But it's a waste of words, Ebay will do nothing, this rampant crazy selling/buying of fakes will continue. 

I've been on ebay for 12+ years, every year it's worse and worse. Ebay is responsible for prolipherating forgeries at a scale never before seen. All the old criminal stocks met new digital age.

I still don't know who is buying this junk for the prices of real stamps. The collectors that I know are old and quite experienced to fall into obvious traps. The average age is 70+ though, lol... As the hobby is duying in the USA, it's booming in Asia. That must be it. These dudes have no clue (?) Since that cant be helped, let's target the sellers.

Ebay will gain more from enforcing sales quality. Bids will go higher if there is more confidence. But the corporate empty suits  just don't get it.

In the meantime, whatever... off to treasure hunt 🙂

Just my 2 cents. I think this discussion should be louder. It's an important topic for the hobby and the business.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Interesting. But we've fought this battle before. Several times.

Any distiction being made between reprints, forgeries, and facsimiles?
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Certainly there are collectors who are interested in particular works such as the Sperati forgeries. There are books and articles on these items.

And Cinderellas -- Sealand, Tannu Tiva and Kaulbach Island all find ready markets, to people who know perfectly well that none of these is produced by a postal agency. To say nothing of such ephemera as Strike Covers.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

mvarfolo, please send me a link to an allegedly fake stamp on ebay... i'd like to judge myself. Feel free to explain why it's a fake. Thanks.
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

The Chinese have been buying fake "vintage" wines in Hong Kong. It stands to reason that they are as clueless about vintage stamps, so perhaps they are the buyers.

The renowned philatelic expert Dr. Varro Tyler was my mentor. I also had the distinct pleasure and experience of being solely responsible for describing his entire 110-volume personal reference collection of fakes and forgeries for its sale at public auction in May 2006 at an international show in Washington, DC, where it realized over $400K.

His advice was that one is responsible for being one's own expert, that stamps that one cannot physically examine ought to be presumed guilty of being fake until proven otherwise by physical examination, that one should buy scarce/rare classic stamps only from sources one knows from experience that one can trust.

"Caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware) applies in the context of Ebay as it does everywhere else. You must comport yourself like a responsible adult by exercising caution when buying on Ebay vintage stamps that have a long history of being forged. It is not Ebay's place--much less is it its obligation--to do your thinking and due diligence for you; you alone are responsible for respecting yourself and your money enough to protect both by making the effort to educate yourself before you make a purchase, just as you would (I presume) in a brick-and-mortar marketplace.

Fortunately, the vast majority of fakes and forgeries were crudely executed and are easy to identify by their printing characteristics. If a seller of a stamp known to be forged provides a clear picture of the item, I can tell, more often than not, that it is a forgery. If I cannot readily tell, I pass on it, presuming that it's a forgery. The same is true for postal history.

I offer private tutoring on identifying forgeries, but my fees are higher than most of you can afford, and I am very discriminatory as to whom I will consent to instruct; however, there is a great abundance of literature on forgeries that is available in English nowadays, so those of you who are typical Americans, i.e., opposed to learning to be literate in any language other than English can rest assured that you will not have to expend the effort, as I did years ago, to learn French, German, Italian, and Spanish in order to read philatelic expert's analyses about forgeries. I have an updated list of literature on forgeries for sale, but you cannot afford that either, so happy hunting and reading !

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

@diocletian57,

Sir, 

You are obviuously a man of extreme intelligence, grace, and politeness. We all bow in light of your advanced philatelic knowledge. Of all your many wonderful traits, your obvious humility stands out like a beacon on the darkest night.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Thank you thines for a spot on reply to dio57.

I have mashed together the remnents of my scattered mind and have come up with "HUBRIS"

Will have to use the net to say it in 57 different languages at a later date if i can remember.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

DIOCLETIAN------You should become President of the EBAY STAMP CHAT ROOM ,your experience and knowledge  is a vast improvement  over what we got now .It has been a few years since we had a real President who dazzled us with his superior collection and knowledge in philatelic matters  ,Your  out standing experience  and professional   instruction would be a vast improvement over anything we humble  Americans have here .Why I even made a little money yesterday on a $6.00 move on the up side of  Silver stock  so maybe can afford your instructions .

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

I believe the correct title is Emperor.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Hi,

I am a man of few words so I say.

greg

securedownloadlaasdf.png

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting