Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post
Highlighted

Can't list stamps from Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Syria & Burma

Can't list stamps from Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Syria & Burma

mayfair99
Adventurer

I've been running into problems the last few days when trying to relist covers from certain countries. I called ebay this morning & a service rep indicated this is a new ebay policy. I posted the message she sent me. I know reps  sometimes provide contradicting information. Can anyone confirm that this policy information is correct?

This is Rachel with eBay, we spoke this morning about listing stamps for countries Iran, Sudan, and Cuba. The U.S. government has placed an embargo on Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Syria and other countries, significantly restricting or banning all trade with these countries. In addition, the U.S. has placed restrictions on trade between people in the U.S. and certain organizations, businesses, and individuals. Accordingly, the sale of items from or to those countries, organizations, businesses, and individuals isn't allowed on eBay.
For more information on this eBay Policy, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/embargo.html

Yes, we do have the categories available, however as the listings in these categories end we are now allowing them to be relisted, and new listings are unable to be listed in these categories. This is a new policy, and I apologize for any confusion.

Thanks,
Rachel
eBay Customer Service

Message 1 of 64
63 REPLIES

Re: Can't list stamps from Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Syria & Burma

in reply to Apr 13, 2013 8:46:43 AM
fun_comics9857
Thrill-Seeker

Yes, these some of these stamps can no longer be listed. These nations that the U.S. government has placed sanctions against. There are several discussions about this going on - there seems to be a lot of confusion going on.

Generally, items from restricted countries may be sold only if they’re considered to be informational, pre-embargo, or licensed.

Stamps you can list would most likely fall under informational, pre-embargo years. You probably can sell pre-embargo stamps - though you can't sell to those banned countries; surely you could sell to collectors in the U.S. and Canada (not sure about International listings). Try excluding those countries from you shipping list.

I did a quick search and this is what I found:

Cuba: currently there are 11,654 Cuban stamp listings on eBay.

Iran: currently there are 5,248 Iranian stamp listings on eBay.

Iraq: currently there are 3,884 Iraq stamp listings on eBay.

Libya: currently there are 3,286 Libyan stamp listings on eBay - even Gadafy stamps.

NK: currently there are 3,117 North Korean stamp listings on eBay - even Kim Jong sheets.

Syria: currently there are 2,306 Syrian stamp listings on eBay.

It appears that they are still being listed on eBay.

Burma is now also on that list; but still can buy Burmese stamps on eBay.

Burma: currently there are 1,724 Burmese stamps on eBay.

Message 2 of 64

in reply to Apr 14, 2013 4:55:18 AM
sayasan
Adventurer

"Generally, items from restricted countries may be sold only if they’re considered to be informational, pre-embargo, or licensed."

"Pre-embargo" seems to explain why some material is still listable. I can't see any details available of when a particular embargo is considered to have started, though. Maybe the ebay ban is being implemented heavy handedly in this respect?

Message 3 of 64

in reply to Apr 14, 2013 9:10:39 PM
billsey
Thrill-Seeker

Yeah, it's pretty much that eBay has decided it's easier to just ban everything than to make value judgements as to what is legal (all used stamps, all stamps, used or unused, before the start of the embargo (1963 for Cuba?), all essays and proofs) and what is not (unused stamps after the start of the embargo).

Message 4 of 64

in reply to Apr 15, 2013 4:23:36 AM
cobbie10
Trailblazer

Ebay used Bots instead of humans, the bots do not check for years, just words, so any items using those words get taken down. 

Message 5 of 64

in reply to Apr 15, 2013 10:40:33 AM
eshu2013
Enthusiast

my English is a translator so sorry first the message is not clear. then put it in Spanish for those who can read it. the subject of the trade embargo is indisputable. are laws that must be followed. has not ebay or paypal. the issue is whether the seizure begins in 1962 or in 1492 (when it was discovered the island). collectibles to submit trade embargo is silly tremendous. you can not put a descriptor and "demonize" a nation. if the trade embargo means a date must be accomplished in that time. obviously those who can not put material will go to Cuba other Internet if this continues. hard to advise customers of the most important migration but can be done. that is not the main issue. the main issue is the interpretation by a law that is totally wrong and affecting both dealers and collectors, philately and numismatics are healthy and very instructive hobbies. mix with politics does not seem right. I've never seen the Cuban government, or that of Syria or Iran selling on ebay. if you want to ban and enforce the law limiting ebay in those countries. your page can not be opened from them. it is good to promote these forums and you say about the policies of ebay...............mi ingles es de un traductor asi que disculpen primero que el mensaje no sea claro. lo pongo en español despues para los que puedan leerlo. el tema del embargo comercial  es indiscutible. son leyes que hay que cumplirlas. no las ha puesto ebay ni paypal. el tema es   saber si el embargo comienza en 1962 o en 1492 (cuando se descubrio la isla). someter los coleccionables a embargo comercial es una tonteria tremenda. no se puede poner un descriptor y "demonizar" a una nacion. si el embargo comercial se refiere a una fecha debe de cumplirse en esas fechas. evidentemente los que no puedan poner material de cuba se iran a otras paginas de internet si esto continua. cuesta trabajo avisar a los clientes mas importantes de la migracion pero puede hacerse. ese no es el tema principal. el tema principal es la interpretacion que hacen una ley que es totalmente erronea y que afecta tanto a comerciantes como a coleccionistas, la filatelia y la numismatica son aficiones sanas y muy instructivas. mezclarlas con politica no me parece adecuado. nunca he visto al gobierno cubano, ni al de siria o iran vendiendo en ebay. si quieren prohibir y cumplir la ley que limiten ebay en esos paises. que su pagina no se pueda abrir desde ellos. es bueno promover estos foros y que se opine sobre las politicas de ebay. 

Message 6 of 64

in reply to Apr 15, 2013 11:02:11 AM
cobbie10
Trailblazer

I just had two covers rejected because I had Cuba in the title. These were stampless covers from the 1850's. I changed the word Cuba to Havana as this is where they originated from and they both went through. We'll see if they get pulled in the coming days.If they do then this will give me some ammo to get on the phone with an ebay rep about this ridiculous rule. 

Message 7 of 64

in reply to Apr 16, 2013 9:09:51 AM
sayasan
Adventurer

Anyone actually been prevented from listing any Burma material? Especially if clearly pre-embargo, e.g. British period. (I'd imagine the embargo is from 1988?)

I ask because I edit the journal of the Burma Phil Study Circle. Members may be interested to know!

Thanks,

Richard Warren

Message 8 of 64

in reply to Apr 16, 2013 9:19:51 AM
wbattles
Adventurer

I don't know about Burma specifically. I haven't tried yet myself. I have been blocked by trying to use the names of Sudan (Soudan) and Cuba in recent listings.

I did call Ebay today to let them know about this nonsense. The phone representative seemed to be unaware of the problem, but admitted the program filters were in place and blocking and flagging items with the names of prohibted countries indiscriminately for sellers within the U.S. At least Ebay is now aware of the problems, but let's see if action is taken.

Message 9 of 64

in reply to Apr 16, 2013 10:21:04 AM
cobbie10
Trailblazer

Also happening to sellers in the UK. Over on the other board I post to a member had one of his Sudan listings pulled even though the stamp was Pre-embargo. 

Message 10 of 64

in reply to Apr 16, 2013 1:31:15 PM
sayasan
Adventurer

Sellers in the UK? Mark, are you sure? No embargo here. Though maybe if they list direct to Ebay US? I notice that a bunch of Burma stuff has been listed today by US sellers, but none of it described as "Myanmar" - that title only appears on items from outside the US.

I'd suggest to US sellers of modern Burma - simply don't use the post-1989 title "Myanmar", which seems to be what the bot is targetting. Just call everything Burma.

Message 11 of 64

in reply to Apr 16, 2013 3:44:32 PM
cobbie10
Trailblazer

Yes, definitely. 

For more information on our Embargoed goods policy, please copy this link into a new browser window:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/embargo.html

Message 12 of 64

in reply to Apr 16, 2013 11:56:52 PM
mahned1
Enthusiast

I am in Australia but list direct to Ebay USA.  Have been barred from listing pre WW2 Cuba. I have taken the lead of a well known dealer and placed my listings as Quba. Only problem with this is that I now have to inform the world - any suggestions?  I find it most difficult to contact Ebay from Oz to complain. Maybe someone could help with this as well.

Message 13 of 64

in reply to Apr 17, 2013 1:14:06 AM
sayasan
Adventurer

Mark, the link you gave states:

"We don't allow items on our site if they're meant to be traded with organisations, businesses, or individuals in the following countries ..."

No dates. And "meant to be traded with" - what does that actually mean, if anything? Ebay seems to be cracking a nut with a sledgehammer here.

Message 14 of 64

in reply to Apr 17, 2013 4:23:53 AM
cobbie10
Trailblazer

I am in Australia but list direct to Ebay USA.  Have been barred from listing pre WW2 Cuba. I have taken the lead of a well known dealer and placed my listings as Quba. Only problem with this is that I now have to inform the world - any suggestions?  I find it most difficult to contact Ebay from Oz to complain. Maybe someone could help with this as well.

The only problem with that is, if some goody goody wants to go and report them to ebay, you're going to get a mark against your account. Is that a risk worth taking just so that you can list one country ?

Message 15 of 64

in reply to Apr 17, 2013 12:38:00 PM
cobbie10
Trailblazer

My South Korea items listed ok, so I guess the bots do not home in on just the word Korea. 

Message 16 of 64

in reply to Apr 17, 2013 6:50:17 PM
dbenson
Thrill-Seeker

Instead of complaining about what has happened how about some suggestions about how this problem can be solved.

It can only be resolved when Ebay can find a simpler solution of not accepting listings of current issues instead of banning all of the issues from before the current regimes and all listings which include the name of the countries involved.

There has to be some contact with the Ebay.US Stamp Manager and to inform him of what is allowed and what is not.

I do not know the dates of which each of the embargoed countries stamps should be banned.

Does anyone know the exact issues dates which should apply. When these are known then contact with the Stamp Manager will be worthwhile, without it then it would be a waste of time.

David B.

Message 17 of 64

in reply to Apr 18, 2013 3:59:36 AM
wbattles
Adventurer

I've contacted Ebay as noted above and at least the general help representatives know of the situation.

As for U.S. embargoes against other countries:

Cuba: Feb. 7th 1962

North Korea: April 9th, 2013   (Due to new sactions from 3rd nuclear test, previous sanctions were lifted for a time)

Sudan: July 25th 2008

Iran: Oct. 29th 1987

Syria: August 18, 2011

Burma/Myanmar: May 1997, but some restrictions lifted in 2012 - not sure if it includes stamps

Libya should have been lifted by now.

There are also sanctions against Ivory Coast, Somalia and both Congos but I don't think it affect the stamps for those countries.

Some of the embargo dates are direct from Scott's and other from federal websites, but I have an older set. Anyone with a 2013 set might be able to list more accurate dates. The Cuba and Iran dates are accurate - from Scott's. The North Korean date is new due to the new sanctions.

Message 18 of 64

in reply to Apr 18, 2013 4:22:26 AM
cobbie10
Trailblazer

Instead of complaining about what has happened how about some suggestions about how this problem can be solved.

It can only be resolved when Ebay can find a simpler solution of not accepting listings of current issues instead of banning all of the issues from before the current regimes and all listings which include the name of the countries involved.

There has to be some contact with the Ebay.US Stamp Manager and to inform him of what is allowed and what is not.

I do not know the dates of which each of the embargoed countries stamps should be banned.

Does anyone know the exact issues dates which should apply. When these are known then contact with the Stamp Manager will be worthwhile, without it then it would be a waste of time.

David B.

David, if you can find an "Ebay.US stamp manager" then you must have a magic wand. That will be like trying to find the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. 

Sorry to sound this way but honestly, trying to contact anyone at ebay in the first place and actually getting someone within the US is a crapshoot at best. Actually finding someone who would know what they were talking about, well, I think you would have more chance winning the lottery. 

Message 19 of 64

in reply to Apr 18, 2013 4:30:31 AM
cobbie10
Trailblazer

David -

The other problem you have, is that for your solution to work - I.E. for items to be allowed if applicable due to being before certain dates - then an actual human would have to vet all the listings. Ebay doesn't have the time or the manpower to do this which is why it relies on bots to trawl the listings, and also to stop the listings from being listed in the first place by picking up on certain words. 

So I guess on that premise we can complain all we like and email whoever we want, but in the end, it just isn't going to change the way Ebay looks at what is being listed. 

Or maybe I'm completely wrong in which case there will be some hat eating at a later date.. :^O

Message 20 of 64