cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air rifle sales policy in Virginia

The state of Virginia has relaxed most laws regarding pellet guns and air rifles in the past 3 years. 

Ebay's policy needs to be reconciled with the current law.

There are no restrictions on the purchase of air rifles in the state of Virginia.  No proof of age or residency is required.  There are no restrictions on the purchase of pellets or bb's by age or residency.  There are no restrictions on transportation of either. 

The only 2 laws involving air guns are:

§ 18.2-282. Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearance; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured. However, this section shall not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense. Persons violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor or, if the violation occurs upon any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds or upon public property within 1,000 feet of such school property, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

§ 29.1-519. Guns, pistols, revolvers, etc., which may be used; penalty.

A. All wild birds and wild animals may be hunted with the following weapons unless shooting is expressly prohibited:

1. A shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun not larger than 10 gauge;

2. An automatic-loading or hand-operated repeating shotgun capable of holding not more than three shells the magazine of which has been cut off or plugged with a one-piece filler incapable of removal through the loading end, so as to reduce the capacity of the gun to not more than three shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, unless otherwise allowed by Board regulations;

3. A rifle, a muzzleloading rifle, or an air rifle;

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

It's ok with me if EBay eases up on the policy but really what does VA law have to do with EBay?  

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Ebay is blocking any pellet gun sales to Virginia and other localities that forbid ownership or severely restrict ownership of air rifles.

They have placed Virginia on this list incorrectly.  Virginia does not have the restrictions that the below listed areas do.  The other listed states and cities consider air rifles to be firearms. 

They presently block sales to the following states and cities:  DE, IL, MI, MN, ND, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VI, Stratford, CT, Cincinnati, OH, Philadelphia, PA, Johnson City, TN, and Washington, DC.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Thanks that makes sense

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Air guns & slingshots are clumped together - no idea why - anyway,several cities in northern VA have restrictions on slingshots AND airguns ( but in reality most likely ALL cities/towns/villes have restrictions as to NotSoCommonSense appropriate use of ...)  I don't understand it at all but have seen certain items "not ship to" in BUDK or similar catalogs...

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

They should look at pyramid airs list it is updated monthly   Only restrictions in va is up in falls church   Why restrict a whole state for one area.  

http://www.pyramydair.com/shipping-restrictions

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I just lost a sale to a Virginia resident due to this policy.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I still don't think this applies to Virginia currently.
i have placed bids on other Air Rifles on eBay and they were not rejected.
Maybe you just have to remove the word pellet.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I

My business is Airguns of Virginia and I have a problemswith Ebay I can not purchase a Air rifle for some reason, I called Ebay they said yeah you right I don't know why the policy hasn't been changed, but they say they have no way to make the change themselves, it has made it diffcult for me because I have found good stuff but cannot bid on it because their policy is wrong for my state

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I was just made aware that I could not buy an airgun pistol on Ebay because I live in Virginia.  This is ridiculous as I am a law enforcement officer and I've purchase about 7 or 8 in the past but none since about 2014 or 2015.  They need to remedy this issue.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Because ebay cant keep track of every air gun that is shipped to VA and what city it goes to. It's easier to restrict the entire state.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Ebay could fix this very easy with the use of zip codes in Virginia.  Falls Church is the only area, do not restrict the entire state.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

they do have the ability to change their algorithms.  It is going to require all of us to be the squeaky wheel and advise them that Virginia does not have a statute against the perchase of air guns, only that you must be 18 years of age.  Ebay sellers and Ebay is restricting a very large market in the state.  So people, let us change this. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

the only restrictions for Falls Church is in the city..ie..IN PUBLIC PARKS AND RECREATION AREAS... you can discharge a BB gun or air rifle on PRIVATE PROPERTY prevideing that the projectile stays on private property, and you have the owerns permission..ie..your the owner of your propery.  You can be charged with a class 3 misdemeanor if the projectile leaves or causes damage.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

More than 3 years later and still nothing.  I was told by some zipperhead "manager" today (called in for Support) that California Law determined what states could be sold to.  Last I checked, a seller in PA or NY was not beholden to laws in CA if not involved with sales to CA.  I'm in VA, so IO called the moron out and he basically just sidestepped my directed question.

Just another tech company over-involved in politics if you ask me.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply