cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to file a claim but usps says no insurance on item (priority mail)

Hi,

I sold an item and the buyer immediately told me to make sure I packaged it well since a piece is known to break off this item.  It was a yankee candle holder.  I thought that was strange.  I made sure I double bubble wrapped it and was very secure.  Immediately on receiving he sends me a pic of the item with that exact piece  broken off.  Suspicious.  He insisted I refund him since there is "buyer protection" he said.  I asked him to go to PO and file a claim and he refused.  I refunded him all the money.  My PO said I can file the claim on line and dont need the packaging as he is in CA and Im in CT.  Plus he isnt cooperating with me.  When I go to file a claim it says this item doesnt have insurance.  It was priority mail.  MY PO said all priority mail has at least $50 insurance with it.  Why is this not working for me? What a headache this transaction was....

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

All Priority mail does carry at least $50 worth of insurance.  Just go to your PO and have them help you.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

You go to the USPS site and it says that?  I've never had an issue.  Priority has UP TO $50 unless you pay to add more.  But yes, all Priority packages have an automatic $50.  Double check it's Priority, go on their site, and try it again.

FYI, it's not the buyer's job to file with the PO.  You have to refund them and YOU file the claim.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@double1960 wrote:

Immediately on receiving he sends me a pic of the item with that exact piece  broken off.  Suspicious.

Youse should've told you're buyer your happy to pay return shipping to verify the hidden marks on the peace.

Instead, you became the mark.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

@double1960 wrote:

Immediately on receiving he sends me a pic of the item with that exact piece  broken off.  Suspicious.

Youse should've told you're buyer your happy to pay return shipping to verify the hidden marks on the peace.

Instead, you became the mark.

/\/\/\

THIS is the correct answer

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Your buyer had the same candle with the piece broken off, And they want to trade it for yours. Sound Stupid? It's not, It happens here. Insurance is for the seller, not the buyer. Seller files all Insurance Claims. Most Claims are not paid due to "Poor Packing" Good Luck to you.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

The sign on the Penguin?  There was another thread on that recently, but the search here is useless so it may be hard to find it.  Might be interesting to see if it's the same buyer.

Insurance won't help unless the outer package is damaged.  As far as I know, they don't cover internal breakage.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I went to my PO since the online filling of a claim kept saying it didnt have insurance even though it was priority mail.  My PO lady tried it also and she said the only thing she could think of was that I already refunded the buyer so it wont work.  She said maybe the buyer filed a claim also and got double money from it all.  I will never give money back again before first filing a claim.  The question is would I have had to pay the shipping back to me of the item? It was $10.50 to ship it to him in the first place.  I need to know how to handle this for the next time, he really ripped me off.  No way was that broken.  He took a pic of another one broken.  Also he quickly changed his ebay name and I can see he has changed it several times in a few years. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

You need to find out if that buyer got paid twice. that would definitely thwart their actions for an ebay or paypal claim. Ebay doens't approve of buyers double dipping.

Get proof of why you cannot open a claim and if it has been done, get the details in writing. Get to your Post Master.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

The post office says they can only guess that it wont let me file a claim because the paypal receipt i have says refunded.  I refunded the buyer in paypal but I should still be able to file a claim.  Now I tried calling the usps customer service and it says hold for up to 50 minutes!!

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

The post office says they can only guess that it wont let me file a claim because the paypal receipt i have says refunded.

I'm sure that's not it.  Even if usps had access to that information, it would have nothing to do with their claim.

The problem I've seen has been the seller and local PO not knowing what info to put into the "proof of insurance" box.  When filing an online claim, an image of the online shipping receipt appears to be what they're looking for.  When filing at the post office, I believe the worker is supposed to enter the tracking number of the priority mail postage.

Good luck, and please let us know what works.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Yes, paypal has nothing to do with any of this.  The buyer can file with usps and get a refund from you, the 2 are not connected at the usps or on paypal.  Paypal and ebay do have rules regarding this though.  They state that a case cannot be opened with them if the buyer has already been reimbursed through another method.  Get proof of this and then call ebay.  If they were refunded through the usps you should get a refund.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I've always refunded the buyer first, then filed and never had an issue.  That lady behind the counter has no clue; just talking out of her very overpaid you know what.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I refunded the buyer first and every time I try to file the online claim immediately after putting in the tracking number it says in big red letters you cant do this since there is no insurance on this package.  The po said it automatically has insurance since it was priority mail.  No one seems to have the answer at po or ebay.  Crazy.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Again, I've never had an issue.  It makes sense that they would have already filed the claim with the PO.  Of course eBay wouldn't know, because they don't deal with post office claims.  Your best bet is to call a national PO number and stop dealing with that one woman to find out if that's what they did.  I would call ebay back and make sure you get a stateside rep and ask what to do since they already claimed the insurance.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply