cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Disputing" a return

Let's say my listing does not allow returns, but a buyer creates a return because supposedly the item doesn't meet the description. However, I know that it did. Say I try to work it out with the buyer via sending a message but they ignore my message and file a dispute. Say they win the dispute for whatever reason. Do they get to keep the item AND get their money back? Or does eBay simply force me to accept the return?

Also, if they ignore my message but DON'T immediately file a dispute, how long do they have to file one? Forever?

Last, what is the dispute process? Ebay's help articles only seem to explain that a process exists. Would I as the seller get to submit anything? Or does eBay operate solely on the word of the buyer?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

"Disputing" a return

Ebay's MBG trumps your return policy for SNAD cases. When a buyer opens an INAD case, you must accept the return and send a return shipping label. Failure to do so will result in ebay refunding the buyer, using your money, and will let the buyer keep the item. Buyers have 30 days from the date of delivery to open a case with ebay. 

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

"Disputing" a return

I would remove your no return policy and offer the standard 14 day returns. Some buyers love to challenge no return policies claiming Item not as described, even if they have to help make it that way. Good Luck to you.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

"Disputing" a return

@soulred12 wrote:

Let's say my listing does not allow returns, but a buyer creates a return because supposedly the item doesn't meet the description. 

if they ignore my message but DON'T immediately file a dispute, how long do they have to file one? Forever?

The buyer has up to 30 business days from the day the return request was created to escalate the request to a case by clicking Ask eBay to step in.

Prior to that, the buyer had 30 calendar days from the actual delivery date until creating that return request.

Taken together, the buyer has almost two and a half months to file a case.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

"Disputing" a return

Your no return policy would only be enforceable if the buyer was returning the item for buyer's remorse.  Not as described requires you to pay the return shipping.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 5
latest reply