eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

international tracking in USPS First-Class Package International Service

hi, i bought a cellphone from ebay and the seller made the shipping through usps First-Class Package International Service i asked for a shipping with international tracking, but im not sure if this one has it.

when i check the tracking number in USPS page it says "feautres: registered mail" i think that allow the international tracking, but the tracking number starts with LC,  and for what ive read those kind of tracking numbers doesnt support international tracking.. the weird thing is that the seller also added other tracking number that starts with RB, but she told me that the LC was the "right one". .

now im confused.. when someone use first class package international with registered mail,  do they get 1 or 2 tracking numbers?   when i check the RB and the LC tracking number , both says exactly the same thing in status and date&time.

i dont know if the RB tracking number is from another item she send at the same time or she received 2 different tracking number for my package.

Please use plain text.
duchess-at-speakeasy
Community Member

Re: international tracking in USPS First-Class Package International Service

in reply to rodmc2887

No, First Class Mail (package) does not include tracking to any country except Canada.  More countries may be added to the list this year, but there has been no announcement of which countries or when.   At present, scanning does take place within the U.S. but not beyond the border.

I do not know if Registered Mail includes tracking -- most likely it does because it requires scanning at every intermediate point along the way to the destination, even for domestic mail.

The Customs tag number is used for tracking international mail (Priority Mail, Express Mail).  It's possible that the Registered Mail number takes precedence where tracking is not otherwise available (as for international First Class Mail).

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess

To eBay, I think we hover somewhere between loathed, tolerated, and ignored.
Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

Tracking is for the dubious benefit of the seller. Just sit back and wait for the item to arrive, you have 45 days from payment to record a claim for non arrival of the item. Meanwhile, forget it, there is nothing you can do to speed it along.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

Tracking is for the dubious benefit of the seller. Just sit back and wait for the item to arrive, you have 45 days from payment to record a claim for non arrival of the item. Meanwhile, forget it, there is nothing you can do to speed it along.

Not always, my Church ships lots of packages to our Missionaries in other countries and un-tracked mail like FCI seldom makes it to them, while tracked mail does.

OP may have a good reason to ask for tracked mail delivery.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

yes black*max, i have a good reason to ask for a tracking number... in south america is not a strange thing that packages without tracking number are "lost" or, better said, stolen.  and we can't do anything because there is not a single evidence that the package ever got here..

anyway, never happened to me, but there are a lot of complains in forums about this kind of issues.. so the best for international shippings is to have a tracking number.. i think it is the best for the seller and the buyer.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

ROD...

Well, Ok, so I gather that you not worried about your money---you are just wanting to make sure that your package does not disappear---because you really want that item.

I think, considering the conditions in your Country---from now on you need to warn your sellers that they must use real Tracking---and that they should NOT send via First Class International.

I assume you are aware that your money is safe.  If package does not arrive, you just file an Item Not Received Dispute.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

ROD...

Well, Ok, so I gather that you not worried about your money---you are just wanting to make sure that your package does not disappear---because you really want that item.

I think, considering the conditions in your Country---from now on you need to warn your sellers that they must use real Tracking---and that they should NOT send via First Class International.

I assume you are aware that your money is safe.  If package does not arrive, you just file an Item Not Received Dispute.

sure, i know that..  what im interested to know is about the "registered mail", it seems if you add that to a normal "first class international" shipping you get a real tracking.. but im not sure, that's why im asking.. would be good to know to use the same service in the future.

Please use plain text.
fab_finds4u
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

Registered Mail does not show point-by-point tracking details but it does show when it went out for delivery.  So by the time your package is delivered you will have it before the tracking shows it was delivered. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

rodmc2887:

Why do you care about the tracking number?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

No, First Class Mail (package) does not include tracking to any country except Canada. More countries may be added to the list this year, but there has been no announcement of which countries or when. At present, scanning does take place within the U.S. but not beyond the border.

Well, it's slowly coming around. Here is a Delivery record for a First Class International package to France last month:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=LK043570526US

I just sent off a couple more FCI packages this morning, one to Australia and another to France, so I'll be curious to see how those go. It's definitely nowhere near the point where I would rely on it for expensive or unreplaceable items (if ever). You're still relying on the local carrier in Outer Franistan someplace to actually have a scanner on him, and also recognize that he can and should scan that cheap little package from America in the same manner as he may do for those Priority or Express packages with their honking big important logos.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

So does is FCI Tracking now included in shipments to France? 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

So does is FCI Tracking now included in shipments to France? 

Not really, no. Although you can see a Delivered notice in the example I gave above, the later package that I mentioned also going to France arrived with no Delivery notice, nor did the Australian one (so far, anyway).

I would treat FCI Tracking as a pleasant surprise if you get it, but nothing more. Don't rely on it for shipments that you can't afford to lose, refund or replace.

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

Don't rely on it for shipments that you can't afford to lose, refund or replace.

Get insurance instead of paying extra to try to track your items. Far cheaper.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
kariandlarrysales
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

It's pretty easy to tell by looking at your FCI parcel & Small Flat Rate Box/Envelope labels. If the label shows the Post Exprès logo, it's supposed to be scanned, otherwise no.

5100099895_immc2_022_1.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to a_c_green

LC is   USPS First-Class Package International Service,  I pay a shipment but   tracking number begins with  Cw.

then, what kind of shipping is mine?

Please use plain text.
electricspins
Community Member

in reply to rodmc2887

Currently, the only way the USPS will include tracking and insurance is through Priority Mail EXPRESS International.  (Has to be "express").  

So unless you want to pay $50 for shipping, I wouldn't complain about the tracking # as a buyer.  If anything, the seller is at risk for not knowing where the package is. 

The USPS sucks.  Sorry.

The # you see that begins with two letters (LZ, for example) is the customs #.  You can track the package with that number up until the point it leaves the country (if you're lucky).  AT THE VERY LEAST, that number will tell you that the package as been accepted by the local post office and processed through the first sort facility in the US.  So you DO know (at least) that the package was indeed shipped and is on its way.  

FCI packages are estimated to arrive between 7-10 business days to most countries.  But it CAN get held up in customs, or take longer for other reasons.  So buyers, you have 45 DAYS to claim item not received.  DON'T DO IT AFTER 15.  You can see it's been shipped, so you know the seller isn't scamming you.  You can also contact your local customs office depending on your country to see if its there.  You'll need that customs #.  Contact the seller first to let them know you haven't received it.  You can work together to try and find the package through customs and calling USPS.  If you automatically open a case with eBay without contacting the seller, then you are not only a JERK, but you now only give yourself 4 days to solve the problem.  

Only open a case if 1.) The seller won't work with you or 2.) It's getting close to your time limit and you still haven't received it.  International shipping can be tricky.  And like I said, since you can at least see that the seller shipped the item, you should realize its not their fault that shipping is taking so long.  Give it time, and it will get there.  Neither of you have control over the time it takes at that point.  Unless, like I said, the buyer wants to pay for an express method that guarantees delivery within a certain amount of time.  FCI does NOT. 

It does look like USPS are making some changes slowly.  USPS changed a lot of things thinking it would bring in revenue, but just as I've been saying all along... all it does is discourage international buying.  I guess they are starting to figure that out.  And that's not an eBay thing, that's just in general.  

Please use plain text.
hatdepotplus
Community Member

in reply to electricspins

usps first class has tracking in Canada, Germany and Australia.  we've shipped first class packages to these countries and i've been surprised that tracking reports package information beyond the US.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to hatdepotplus

Beginning July 28, the USPS is adding free Electronic Delivery Confirmation to 15 additional countries for First Class Package International Service. Those countries are the following:

Australia 
Belgium
Brazil
Croatia
Denmark
France
Germany
Great Britain
Ireland
Israel
Netherlands
New Zealand
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland.

Please use plain text.
beverlyhills.supply.outlet
Community Member

in reply to yourtixfix

do you go to USPS website to print shipping tag/slip? I assume paypal isn't able to do so or is it?

Is there a 3rd party tool that anyone can recommend ?  I see the list but no familiar with any of them.

Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International service is available only electronically by using USPS-approved PC Postage vendors, Click-N-Ship, Click-N-Ship for Business, Webtools, and Global Shipping Software (GSS) or other USPS-approved software. 

Thank you.

Beginning July 28, the USPS is adding free Electronic Delivery Confirmation to 15 additional countries for First Class Package International Service. Those countries are the following:

Please use plain text.
terry5732
Community Member

in reply to beverlyhills.supply.outlet

As an ebay seller , you can use stamps.com for no monthly service fee

They support label printing for international shipments which feebay/paypig do not

Please use plain text.