cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay shipping label has a tracking number that is already used

I've been selling here for well over a decade, and ran across a first - an eBay generated label where the provided tracking number is a duplicate of one that was used six weeks ago.  I only noticed because both eBay and PayPal refused to upload the tracking number to the system (saying it was already in use for another transaction), and when I went to check it, I found that it had already been used for a package that was delivered to New Zealand in early June.

I hope this isn't a recurring trend, as I really don't want to be spending my time voiding labels and getting new ones just so I can get a number that was supposed to be unique in the first place.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

This happened to me too.  Here is another discussion about it-

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Heads-up-a-new-label-problem/m-p/27366945#M200877

I was hoping it was fixed - I have to print a label for Canada for a Monday shipment but I am waiting to hopefully give it time to resolve since I don't want to void another label. 

I am already waiting for 3 void refunds and I am nervous that I will have trouble with the USPS processing them since the label tracking numbers show they were used - even though it was weeks ago.  I don't know if USPS will catch that in their void refund processing.

For my international shipments on Friday I used the USPS site to print the customs label only and then took the parcels to the post office and paid the postage for them there.  I didn't get the shipping discount but at least those tracking numbers are valid.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Happened to me Friday using the bulk label printing tool and on international labels.  Printing them up individually has worked correctly, though.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Okay I guess it's not just me.  Just had it happen on a label to Australia on a single label not bulk transaction.  Not sure what to do.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I have 3 over the weekend, marked them as shipped and plan on delivering to USPS.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I have the same problem. A shipment to Canada. So far two voided labels.

Has anyone tried using PayPal shipping??

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I posted this problem on 8/18, I ended up printing the international 1st class label thru the USPS website after 2 attempts and voids of ebay labels for the same item. Both tracking numbers showed recent deliveries to int'l countries. Of course, did not get my shipping discount. For today's pkg to the UK, I used Paypal and no problem, but I did notice the usual LZ was replaced with UA. Perhapst that was the problem, USPS ran out of all the possible numbers to use for the 1st time with LZ, so they are now starting them with UA.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply